• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Answerman - How Well Paid Are Dub Voice Actors?

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DigitalScratch

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2018 6:48 pm Reply with quote
Top Gun wrote:
It's a shame, because a lot of that crew were in arguably most of the best dubs of all time, but they do very little anime work these days, since just about everything's Texas-based.

There are two primary studios that do anime dubbing in Caifornia (Bang Zoom and Studiopolis) as far as I know. With that said, it’s all travel issues, costs and union labor laws that keep some of the most well known Cali VAs out of most Texas dubs.

I have a good amount of respect for English anime VAs cause a lot of them choose to continue with it out of love for the job despite how little it pays and the amount of backlash/hatred they get because they’re English VAs. I follow a lot of VAs on Twitter and a lot of them genuinely love what they do and some are indeed anime fans from the get-go. Off the top of my head I can name Micah Solusod, Megan Shipman, Apphia Yu, Juliet Simmons, Brianna Knickerbocker, Nathan Sharp and Justin Briner.

It seems like nowadays a lot of Funi’s newer talents are anime fans who wanted to do voice-over for a long time.
Punch Drunk Marc

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2018 6:51 pm Reply with quote
Ronolo wrote:
Яeverse wrote:
What are these actors doing? Plays? Audiobooks? An occasional network live action tv show background character appearance?

From what I hear in Panels, many of these voice actors do various things. Many are doing other plays to gain more experience. Veronica Taylor voices for Audio books. Tiffany Grant was in a small Independent film decades ago. Voice actors mention in panels, since it is contracted work, you need to continually hustle for that next project so you can continue to receive income. It is not easy.

Although, you are not always stuck doing voice acting. People do move up to other jobs with benefits. My understanding is Monica Rial and J Michael Tatum have done script writing and directing. The experience they gain from acting does help with script writing and directing.

From what I remember from just seeing things around the web and old episodes of That Anime Show (a podcast that Terri Doty and J. Michael Tatum used to do): Teri Doty does ADR stuff on the side (she also wrote a book recently that featured several funi VAs on the audiobook recording), Monica Rial used to (or maybe still is) a hairdresser, Jad Saxton I think still does stage work, as do Tatum, Alexis Tipton, and a few others, Colleen Clinkenbeard is (or was) in charge of the special features and such for the sets they release, Sabat has his own studio where he records anime and video games (I think they might record Super there. I know they recorded Kai and Fujiko Mine there), and that's not counting all the VAs that script write, Direct, and engineer for certain shows.
supersqueak

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2018 6:53 pm Reply with quote
Most anime voice actors cannot make a full time job out of acting they have to do other things on the side such as radio commercials or even other jobs at the studio they work at such as script writing or ADR directing if they're lucky. I imagine it's not easy I'm pretty sure most of them also only work in like 4 hour sessions too because more than that is bad for their voice. Going to cons really helps supplement their income too. I guess that's why a lot of voice actors end up moving to L.A because the work out there pays better I mean you can hear people like Laura Bailey in tons of Cartoons and Video Games now she tends to drop into Texas every now and again but she still has given up roles like Kid Trunks which is a damn shame.
stannisbaratheon

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2018 7:40 pm Reply with quote
I imagine they don't get paid well because they don't have money because there is alot of pirating, which is why people try to emphasize buying legally so that money that help boost talent and get paid better
Joe Mello

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2018 10:08 pm Reply with quote
Monica Rial might have my favorite "Other VO Gig" so far. She might be #1 and 2 unless I'm confusing stories.

supersqueak wrote:
Going to cons really helps supplement their income too.

Not necessarily. It's often just good enough to convince an actor to not work, and sometimes even that isn't enough. I was fortunate enough to get some data on contracts for the local show and their appearance fee looks nice, but then you realize they're being asked to not work for 5 days, on anime or otherwise. Doing the math, a con may be no better than time-and-a-half.
LUNI_TUNZ

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2018 12:17 am Reply with quote
I've known about the SAG-AFTA thing for awhile (at one point it's why guest stars on adult swim shows would use alias', for instance David Cross being credited as Sir Willups Brightslymoore on Aqua Teen Hunger Force) but i've wondered for awhile, what kind of trouble would they gt into for doing a non-union project wih their real name, especially as their voices could probably be easily made out.

Also, as I understand it, most dub actos in California are in the union, while the ones in Texas aren't? I'm not sure if there's any truth to that, or was?
SWAnimefan

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2018 1:48 am Reply with quote
Яeverse wrote:
What are these actors doing? Plays? Audiobooks? An occasional network live action tv show background character appearance?

As mentioned above, some are stage actors. Others are acting teachers, and some end up working for the dub studio in other roles like ADR directing. Other voice actors do operate independent film studios and end up in commercials or have roles on TV as extras or minor characters. Some are in bands. One owns a photography studio.

So mostly they do try to stay within the industry.

With Japanese Seiyuu, ever since I watched Seiyuu's Life, I personally have grown curious about what they do in their normal lives. We know that when they are not voice acting, the most popular ones are idols or in bands, some dub foreign TV and Movies into Japanese, and a few are stage actors. But the other seiyuu, I'm curious about what they do.
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2018 2:10 am Reply with quote
I think I remember Ray Chase saying her has done over 150 audio books, so he has kept busy throughout the past few years.
Greed1914

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2018 10:40 am Reply with quote
Joe Mello wrote:
Monica Rial might have my favorite "Other VO Gig" so far. She might be #1 and 2 unless I'm confusing stories.

supersqueak wrote:
Going to cons really helps supplement their income too.

Not necessarily. It's often just good enough to convince an actor to not work, and sometimes even that isn't enough. I was fortunate enough to get some data on contracts for the local show and their appearance fee looks nice, but then you realize they're being asked to not work for 5 days, on anime or otherwise. Doing the math, a con may be no better than time-and-a-half.

A couple of years ago at a convention, Spike Spencer mentioned that during times between panels, he would go back to his room to record things. In commentaries, Tood Haberkorn mentioned that he would go out to his car to record audio books between sessions at Funimation. Do-it-yourself recording technologies have helped in that regard.

I'll give actors credit when it comes to the age-old question of "How do I become a voice actor?" They consistently tell people that they need to be actors first, not just to hone skills but because anime voiceover alone won't cut it.
rizuchan

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2018 11:32 am Reply with quote
SWAnimefan wrote:
With Japanese Seiyuu, ever since I watched Seiyuu's Life, I personally have grown curious about what they do in their normal lives. We know that when they are not voice acting, the most popular ones are idols or in bands, some dub foreign TV and Movies into Japanese, and a few are stage actors. But the other seiyuu, I'm curious about what they do.

The market for Seiyuu is pretty different than voice acting in the US. Seiyuu is still a career in Japan. as seen in Seiyuu's Life, seiyuu often have part time jobs when they don't have voice work. For anime VA's in the US, anime is the part time gig.

The seiyuu scene (for women at least) is also much more cut throat. Many of them come from actual voice acting schools (not just acting in general) designed for seiyuu. If they are lucky enough to catch a break, they usually have 5-10 years in their 20s and early 30s of being cute enough to do fan meets and pseudo-idol events on the side. If they're very lucky, they might be able to continue to get work by getting a role on a long running show, or if they have an interesting voice, by doing unusual roles. Otherwise they're usually dropped for the next cute, young seiyuu straight of acting school.

Voice actors in the US don't go through that at all. Aside from a relatively small number of misogynistic fans, no one cares what they look like, so they can continue acting for as long as they want (and there are roles for them of course).

That said, as terrible as it is for seiyuu that want to make a lifelong career, many women in Japan still stop working once they get married, so many seiyuu choose to retire or slow their careers when they have children anyway. Actually, I imagine being able to pick up a small role, or occasionally reprise a popular role, can be a fairly convenient part time gig for a housewife.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
glitteringloke

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2018 2:17 pm Reply with quote
Яeverse wrote:

I've seen Naruto's English VA in a Geico commercial
Primus

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2018 5:04 pm Reply with quote
LUNI_TUNZ wrote:
Also, as I understand it, most dub actos in California are in the union, while the ones in Texas aren't? I'm not sure if there's any truth to that, or was?

I'm not sure any Texas dub has been unionized. Companies set up shop there typically to exploit its lax labour laws. The lower end of quoted voice rates are almost always from the Texas twins.

The vast majority of Los Angeles-based dubs aren't unionized either. SAG-AFTRA offers a database you can publicly peruse through. A lot of anime dubs get tagged with 2001 no matter their actual production year, so just keep that in mind.

It's really only the Canadian anime dubs that are more often than not union productions. The rates I posted on the first page are from two CBAs. That's why you rarely hear them in anime that doesn't have a merch line and a TV deal.
Freyanne

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2018 7:15 pm Reply with quote
glitteringloke wrote:
Яeverse wrote:

I've seen Naruto's English VA in a Geico commercial

Plus, she was also in the Disney Anime hyper show "Lab Rats".
Compelled to Reply

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2018 7:16 pm Reply with quote
rizuchan wrote:
The market for Seiyuu is pretty different than voice acting in the US. Seiyuu is still a career in Japan. as seen in Seiyuu's Life, seiyuu often have part time jobs when they don't have voice work. For anime VA's in the US, anime is the part time gig.

The seiyuu scene (for women at least) is also much more cut throat. Many of them come from actual voice acting schools (not just acting in general) designed for seiyuu. If they are lucky enough to catch a break, they usually have 5-10 years in their 20s and early 30s of being cute enough to do fan meets and pseudo-idol events on the side. If they're very lucky, they might be able to continue to get work by getting a role on a long running show, or if they have an interesting voice, by doing unusual roles. Otherwise they're usually dropped for the next cute, young seiyuu straight of acting school.

Voice actors in the US don't go through that at all. Aside from a relatively small number of misogynistic fans, no one cares what they look like, so they can continue acting for as long as they want (and there are roles for them of course).

That said, as terrible as it is for seiyuu that want to make a lifelong career, many women in Japan still stop working once they get married, so many seiyuu choose to retire or slow their careers when they have children anyway. Actually, I imagine being able to pick up a small role, or occasionally reprise a popular role, can be a fairly convenient part time gig for a housewife.

It makes sense when seiyuu is considered a specialized career with formal education which people start young, while voice actors in the U.S. do it as a part-time gig, and are older and might already have families. The assumption that females stop working once they get married is outdated and false, as evident by public announcements of them being married and expecting a child, because some degree of privacy is respected (and warranted against a small number of crazed fans).

Last edited by Compelled to Reply on Sun Jul 08, 2018 1:05 am; edited 2 times in total
#hiros7039

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2018 8:35 pm Reply with quote
Feels like this question has been asked here many times before.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3