• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Answerman - Why Are Some Old Anime Never Re-released?

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
FLCLGainax

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2018 2:28 pm Reply with quote
DeTroyes wrote:
Or sometimes even disappeared altogether, with no one entirely certain what happened to them (Project A-ko's original 35mm master print; only a 16mm copy survives).
If what you're saying is true, does Discotek know of this print?
NJ_

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2018 2:38 pm Reply with quote
LegitPancake wrote:
So which one does Eva fall under?

Blaming Anno for not finishing his movie series, that's which.

This was confirmed by Madman years ago that Japan won't allow any re-licensing of the show until after the Rebuild movies are done...and since we're STILL waiting for the last movie.....
Lord Geo

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2018 2:58 pm Reply with quote
FLCLGainax wrote:
DeTroyes wrote:
Or sometimes even disappeared altogether, with no one entirely certain what happened to them (Project A-ko's original 35mm master print; only a 16mm copy survives).

I think it was once stated, years ago when DIscotek first rescued A-Ko, that the 16mm print was too small to really get any sort of good remastering out of (remember, it's almost literally half the size of the 35mm print), so they just went with the laserdisc master, which allowed for at least some sort of visible improvement.
SpacemanHardy

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2018 3:03 pm Reply with quote
Nyren wrote:
I don't normally condone piracy, but I will admit there are certain instances where it is the only option aside from buying bootlegs or buying from third party sellers who sell for large sums and where none of the money goes to the original creators. One example I can think of is Naoki Urasawa's Monster. The entire series was dubbed, but only one volume was ever released in the States and is now out of print with no sign of the license being picked up by anyone else. As a result, the only way to see the entire series, especially dubbed, is either by streaming from unofficial sites, or torrenting the entire series(or buying bootleg).

Actually, there is one way to legally purchase Monster: Siren Visual was able to pick up the license for Australia. You have to import it and have a region-free player in order to watch it, but it is technically available.
Nyren

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2018 3:12 pm Reply with quote
SpacemanHardy wrote:
Nyren wrote:
I don't normally condone piracy, but I will admit there are certain instances where it is the only option aside from buying bootlegs or buying from third party sellers who sell for large sums and where none of the money goes to the original creators. One example I can think of is Naoki Urasawa's Monster. The entire series was dubbed, but only one volume was ever released in the States and is now out of print with no sign of the license being picked up by anyone else. As a result, the only way to see the entire series, especially dubbed, is either by streaming from unofficial sites, or torrenting the entire series(or buying bootleg).

Actually, there is one way to legally purchase Monster: Siren Visual was able to pick up the license for Australia. You have to import it and have a region-free player in order to watch it, but it is technically available.
*Looks up Siren Visual*

Not a bad price for the full Monster set.... they even have Durarara on Blu-Ray at a reasonable price! Hallelujah!
SpacemanHardy

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2018 3:13 pm Reply with quote
Nyren wrote:
SpacemanHardy wrote:
Nyren wrote:

*Looks up Siren Visual*

Not a bad price for the full Monster set.... they even have Durarara on Blu-Ray at a reasonable price! Hallelujah!

Not to mention they are the only company in the *world* to have Nodame Cantabile on DVD with both the English and Japanese audio.
Nyren

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2018 3:15 pm Reply with quote
SpacemanHardy wrote:
Nyren wrote:
SpacemanHardy wrote:
Nyren wrote:

*Looks up Siren Visual*

Not to mention they are the only company in the *world* to have Nodame Cantabile on DVD with both the English and Japanese audio.
I noticed that too. I haven't watched that series yet, but I have had an interest in it and could find it nowhere. Now I'm curious if there are any distributors that have the Fate series and Persona movies at decent prices.
SpacemanHardy

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2018 3:23 pm Reply with quote
Nyren wrote:
I noticed that too. I haven't watched that series yet, but I have had an interest in it and could find it nowhere. Now I'm curious if there are any distributors that have the Fate series and Persona movies at decent prices.

I know MVM put Fate/Zero out in the UK for a pretty reasonable price. And All the Anime seems to be selling the Persona 3 movies for pretty cheap.
DeTroyes

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2018 3:30 pm Reply with quote
Lord Geo wrote:
I think it was once stated, years ago when DIscotek first rescued A-Ko, that the 16mm print was too small to really get any sort of good remastering out of (remember, it's almost literally half the size of the 35mm print), so they just went with the laserdisc master, which allowed for at least some sort of visible improvement.

I thought their remaster was based off the 16mm, but if they had access to a Laserdisc master that would certainly have been much better. Fortunately, a lot of the more popular OVA titles did have Laserdisc releases, so even if the original Master Prints were destroyed the Laserdisc masters were often good enough to salvage the title (which was how Sunrise was able to recover Armor Hunter Mellowlink sufficiently for DVD release). They're still not as crisp as most Master Print copies, but they often get close.
Nyren

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2018 3:45 pm Reply with quote
SpacemanHardy wrote:
Nyren wrote:

I know MVM put Fate/Zero out in the UK for a pretty reasonable price. And All the Anime seems to be selling the Persona 3 movies for pretty cheap.
It's like I just struck anime gold!

Baccano on Blu-Ray! Gurren Lagann! Kill la Kill with dub! The complete collection of the original Berserk! They even have Unlimited Blade Works at a good price! Was about to praise them for having Garden of Sinners, but it's just the DVD set. That's a series that deserves nothing less than blu-ray. The only question I have is if any of these UK/EU or AU releases are censored, or if they're uncensored like US releases tend to be.
PurpleWarrior13

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2018 3:57 pm Reply with quote
This was a big problem with Sailor Moon for the longest time, I don't think anyone truly knows what the holdup was for so long.

This happens with some US stuff too, some not obscure. The Adam West Batman series is probably the most notorious example. Apparently the rights were split between DC (owned by Warner Bros), 20th Century Fox, and producer William Dozier's estate. Classic Media ended up buying back Dozier's rights by negotiating with each and every one of his heirs and selling that share to Fox, who licensed the show to Warner. It was an absolute nightmare. If the show was even remotely niche or obscure, it wouldn't be on video at all.
Macron One

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2018 4:02 pm Reply with quote
Lord Geo wrote:
FLCLGainax wrote:
DeTroyes wrote:

Most anime TV series from the 80s and 90s had only 16mm masters, which suggests that the size of these prints wasn't the primary problem. If i recall correctly, Justin once mentioned that the video source for Central Park Media's Project A-KO release was a Japanese Laserdisc of the film owned by a staff member, as the materials that had been sent to CPM were in such miserable condition that these were nigh unusable.
jsevakis
Former ANN Editor in Chief

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2018 4:30 pm Reply with quote
Hi. It meeee.

I worked on both the CPM and Discotek releases. I’ve never heard of a 16mm print.
SolHerald

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2018 4:41 pm Reply with quote
Shay Guy wrote:
It'd be nice if copyrighted works passing into the public domain eventually was a thing that still happened.

Thanks Disney!

But anyways, I do appreciate recent efforts to licenses more old-school anime, too bad not nearly enough will eventually be picked up.
Nilrem

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2018 4:41 pm Reply with quote
Nyren wrote:
SpacemanHardy wrote:
Nyren wrote:

It's like I just struck anime gold!

Baccano on Blu-Ray! Gurren Lagann! Kill la Kill with dub! The complete collection of the original Berserk! They even have Unlimited Blade Works at a good price! Was about to praise them for having Garden of Sinners, but it's just the DVD set. That's a series that deserves nothing less than blu-ray. The only question I have is if any of these UK/EU or AU releases are censored, or if they're uncensored like US releases tend to be.

It's really quite rare for UK releases of anime to be censored at all these days, as long as it's not actually hentai.

From memory none of those mentioned are censored (I've got Gurren, Beserk and Baccano), even Higschool DxD is uncensored which surprised me.
They also recently did GITS:SAC with reworked subs, which has been sat taunting me on the desk for a month.

The thing to watch is that from memory all of ATA's releases are region coded for the UK (sometimes UK/Aus).
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4