• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
This Week in Games: Classic Compilations

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
CrownKlown

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2018 9:36 pm Reply with quote
If we are talking about collections the obvious ones would be the classic rpg series
Ys, suikoden, BoF, FF, etc. I mean with FF you could probably fit ff 1-9 at least on a single blu ray disc and probably 1-12 on two. Im sure even with no updates and just straight ports, you could put a price tag of 60 bucks on that and people would scoop it up.
Vanadise

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2018 7:58 am Reply with quote
Zin5ki wrote:
Perhaps my spendthrift nature blinds me to the appeal of the concept, but I've never appreciated the need for classic compilations in the age of emulators.

Well, keep in mind that pirating ROMs is illegal. For many people, that's a full stop. The creators also get no reward for their work if you don't buy their games, and I'd argue it is also immoral to consume content that you haven't paid the creators for.

Emulators are also mostly available only on PC, and emulating recent consoles requires a very powerful PC, which many people don't have. What few emulators exist for consoles generally require modding your console, which will at the very least void your warranty and may get you banned from online services. For people who aren't PC gamers and want to play older games on their consoles, virtual re-releases are the only way to go.

Then, as you mentioned, many people also don't want to spend time tweaking settings and fiddling bits in order to get things working. On top of that, these re-releases often come with neat extras like art galleries, developer interviews, and challenge modes that make them worth it even to people who still own the originals.
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2018 12:09 pm Reply with quote
Lord Geo wrote:

Yeah, that's the point of using the Retro Engine. Whitehead & Stealth didn't simply port over Sonic 1, 2, & CD, they outright rebuilt those games using that engine in order to make those new versions.

I wasn't aware they were rebuilt given they look pretty much (and with the exception of the IOS ports) play the same as the Genesis originals (and the various ports they've put out since then.

WingKing wrote:

Super Double Dragon (SNES)

Hopefully with the weird slowdown fixed.

LightningCount wrote:
Heidi said non-DS in this case. But these could be in a later collection with the PS2 entries and, potentially, the multiplayer Harmony of Despair.

I don't know why those would be in a second collection when they could easily go on the first collection hell all those games could likely fit on one disc especially if they're leaving off both console Lord Of Shadow of titles. Leave the unnecessary splitting on compilation packages to Capcom Razz
Theodore Relic

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2018 12:55 pm Reply with quote
I would be very much okay with a Virtua Fighter collection. I still have virtually (cough) every VF game; VF2 and VF Kids for the Saturn, VF3tb for the DC, VF4 Evo for the PS2 and VF5 for PS3 and VF5 Final for the 360. The only ones I don't have are the weird album discs for the Saturn and the first game (used to have it for the 32X).

Hell, I'd just love to see a remade version of Fighters Megamix (I have both the US and Japanese versions of that game), or a new Last Bronx!
Lord Geo

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2018 1:22 pm Reply with quote
BadNewsBlues wrote:
Lord Geo wrote:

Yeah, that's the point of using the Retro Engine. Whitehead & Stealth didn't simply port over Sonic 1, 2, & CD, they outright rebuilt those games using that engine in order to make those new versions.

I wasn't aware they were rebuilt given they look pretty much (and with the exception of the IOS ports) play the same as the Genesis originals (and the various ports they've put out since then.

Yeah, it's pretty crazy, but that's how they managed to do things like add in proper widescreen for all three games (this alone would have been impossible if they were simply enhanced ports), add Tails into Sonic CD, & include a properly finished Hidden Palace Zone (complete with a brand new boss fight) for Sonic 2. It's maddening how Sega put Sonic CD out on both mobile & consoles, but then left Sonic 1 & 2 to just mobile devices.
ZenAmako

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2018 7:44 pm Reply with quote
What I'd like is a Fatal Frame collection since Nintendo has done such a poor job of publishing the series outside of Japan since they got the rights to the series. It would include Fatal Frame, Fatal Frame II: Crimson Butterfly, Fatal Frame III: The Tormented, Fatal Frame IV: Mask of the Lunar Eclipse (which was only released in Japan for the Wii), Fatal Frame V (which was belatedly released in the U.S. on the Wii U, but never got a physical release), and the Wii remake of Fatal Frame II (which was only released in Japan and Europe). C'mon, Nintendo. At least give me a collection of the Nintendo-published FF games for the Switch, especially if the rumors are true that a new game is in the works.
Levitz9

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2018 11:40 pm Reply with quote
Yo, Toru Nakayama is doing the character designs for Dragon Marked For Death? Awesome! I love their character designs in Mega Man Zero (my favorite in the Mega Man franchise), and their take on a lot of the Kamen Riders is pretty cool too. Always glad to see their art somewhere.

For my money (and tying into the Phantasy Star mobage news), I'd want to see a proper Phantasy Star compilation in the US. The GBA compilation was perfectly fine, and even fixed some of the text bugs from the Genesis/Mega Drive Phantasy Star II, but that compilation didn't have Phantasy Star IV. The Genesis Compilation on PS2 was super-faithful to the Genesis version, including the bugs (sadly)--and it didn't have Phantasy Star I. Sonic's Ultimate Genesis Compilation is out of print, I think, and the Sega Ages Phantasy Stars never came stateside. We really do need all four Phantasy Stars brought together. And hey, throw in the Game Gear spin-offs, too!

And because I'm a Sega nerd who's always down for some DAY-TO-NA-A-A-A~!, we cannot forget his greatest contribution to gaming: Sega Rally's Game Over theme.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2