• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Aniplex USA to Release Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood Blu-Ray Disc Box Sets in November

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MrBonk

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2018 11:56 pm Reply with quote
Pretty sure the encoding will not be better as FMA BHs problem with the source and not the encodes. The only way it will get better is through further post processing the video at the master level. Which people have done for scene releases of BH using just the JP BD sources. I doubt AP will be bothered to go that much further. The show is simply product of its time and digital animation from the transition into animatimg at higher resolution than 480p.
xstylus

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2018 6:25 pm Reply with quote
MrBonk wrote:
Pretty sure the encoding will not be better as FMA BHs problem with the source and not the encodes. The only way it will get better is through further post processing the video at the master level. Which people have done for scene releases of BH using just the JP BD sources. I doubt AP will be bothered to go that much further. The show is simply product of its time and digital animation from the transition into animatimg at higher resolution than 480p.

100% this.
professorwho

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2018 9:53 pm Reply with quote
xstylus wrote:
MrBonk wrote:

100% this.

Wrong. It will, as Aniplex uses the files from the Japanese Blu-rays, of which were better encoded than FUNimation's release. It's not hard to grasp, guys. Yes, it's from a 540p source, but regardless of which, a superior encoder will make a better result than a bad one (FUNimation), even when they are both using a less desirable master. Aniplex's Japanese release has an average bitrate over 35 mbps, which is clearly better than FUNimation's 14 mbps. While bitrate does not determine quality, the Japanese compressionist is superior due to having to work on less episodes (anime are released in volumes with 3 or 4 episodes vs the 12 or 13 here) in the same amount of time.

I can 100% bet you they will be using the Japanese masters, of which were superior. You'd have to be crazy to think they'll be the same as FUNi's encodes/quality. How much better? Less banding and aliasing, but still has a soft look due to 540p resolution. A good jump up in my book.
Maidenoftheredhand

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2018 10:48 pm Reply with quote
I actually never bought the Funi version of Brotherhood. I am more of an FMA manga fan and actually was disappointed in how Funi released Brotherhood compared to the effort they put into the 03 series.

Not the biggest fan of Aniplex’s prices but Arakawa designed boxes do tempt me. I may actually consider.
BlueRex666

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2018 11:08 pm Reply with quote
professorwho wrote:
Wrong. It will, as Aniplex uses the files from the Japanese Blu-rays, of which were better encoded than FUNimation's release. It's not hard to grasp, guys. Yes, it's from a 540p source, but regardless of which, a superior encoder will make a better result than a bad one (FUNimation), even when they are both using a less desirable master. Aniplex's Japanese release has an average bitrate over 35 mbps, which is clearly better than FUNimation's 14 mbps. While bitrate does not determine quality, the Japanese compressionist is superior due to having to work on less episodes (anime are released in volumes with 3 or 4 episodes vs the 12 or 13 here) in the same amount of time.

I can 100% bet you they will be using the Japanese masters, of which were superior. You'd have to be crazy to think they'll be the same as FUNi's encodes/quality. How much better? Less banding and aliasing, but still has a soft look due to 540p resolution. A good jump up in my book.

Who cares?! I just want the show without needing to replace my arm and leg with automail!
xstylus

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2018 1:40 am Reply with quote
professorwho wrote:
xstylus wrote:
MrBonk wrote:

100% this.

Wrong. It will, as Aniplex uses the files from the Japanese Blu-rays, of which were better encoded than FUNimation's release.

Side-by-side comparisons between the Japanese and English blu-rays would say otherwise. A higher bitrate might help with banding to some extent, but not so much with the aliasing.

As MrBonk said, the show is a product of it's time.
DangerMouse

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2018 11:40 am Reply with quote
Maidenoftheredhand wrote:
I actually never bought the Funi version of Brotherhood. I am more of an FMA manga fan and actually was disappointed in how Funi released Brotherhood compared to the effort they put into the 03 series.

Not the biggest fan of Aniplex’s prices but Arakawa designed boxes do tempt me. I may actually consider.

I almost definitely think they would have eventually done an 03-like complete series special edition if they'd been able to keep the license for Brotherhood, since it's FMA. But yeah, the 03 blu-ray special edition box was a fantastic set, I'm glad they got it out before they lost the rights.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4