• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
This Week in Anime - Is Lost Song Worth Watching?

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Hellsoldier

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2018 1:20 pm Reply with quote
You can enjoy all you want. But to pin the blame for Lost Song's poor reception on the world becoming cynical or what have you, and not enjoying traditional storytelling... is not the best argument you can make.

As years pass, people become more demanding. People who grow up on Utena, Death Note, Evangelion, Code Geass, 80's cyberpunk OVAs like Bubblegum Crisis, etc, WILL NOT have the same standards for Violence/Humor/Storytelling/Depth that people in the 70's had. Deal with it. It doesn't mean you can't have a story that doesn't reinvent the wheel, it means simply that some finess is in order. All PreCure anime (including this year's Hugtto! PreCure) are essentially traditional mahou shoujo anime (contrast with, say, Madoka Magica), and that doesn't mean they don't have anything to offer. I enjoy PreCure and Cardcaptor Sakura as much as I enjoy Madoka Magica and Magical Girl Raising Project, for very different reasons.

I just used one genre as an example. I for one welcome evolution: It forces people to do everything better.
SHD

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2018 5:51 pm Reply with quote
^everything that Hellsoldier and #884745 said.

One of my favorite shows this year so far is Rokuhoudou Yotsuiro Biyori, a little show that flew under most people's radar (ANN didn't even cover it) but I loved it so much I picked up the manga after the anime ended, and it's worth every minute I spent on it. It's a laid-back anime adaptation of a laid-back manga about four good-looking dudes who run a small restaurant and do slice of life stuff while sometimes dealing with personal issues. It's not dark, not cynical, not subversive; the main characters are all good people who want the best for each other, it's very chill and relaxed, comfort watching/reading at its best. And it's about as far from reinventing the wheel as far as chill and relaxed slice of life stuff about restaurants go, as possible.

Still - the cast is charming, and when I look at them I see individuals I can get invested in, not a collection of clichés. The stories may not be revolutionary, but they're presented in a warm, usually funny way. It's also not taking itself too seriously. And so on, basically it's written and presented in a way that gives it its own voice, instead of being just an unimaginative regurgitation of standard story elements arranged in familiar shapes and forms.

Another of my favorite things is Papa to Oyaji no uchigohan - it's a manga about two single fathers with small children of the same age, who move in together and eventually end up forming a sort of family unit, with a focus on cooking as a sort of metaphor for coming together as a family (it's not BL, for the record, though to nobody's surprise the mangaka does write BL). It's not violent, not dark, not subversive, not cynical... overall it's very positive and encouraging, and it has real life aspects that many people can find relatable. And notably, while it's made up of some familiar elements, it's also not a pile of tired old clichés.

And so on, I could list other things I love that aren't dark and edgy and subversive or whatever, and yet aren't bland in vision (or rather, the lack thereof) and execution. The problem with Lost Song (and Sirius the Jaeger, etc.) is not that they're tropey, it's that they're unimaginative and bland, like they were made by checking off items from a checklist without any more creativity going into them.
Spike Terra
Subscriber

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2018 4:55 pm Reply with quote
I kinda wish this show got a proper review before becoming a "This Week in Anime" topic because they end up spoiling most of the show. So if anyone hadn't seen Lost Song before reading this chat log, just had 70% of the anime spoiled for them and I personally don't like that. But since this isn't an official ANN article, I can't really fault it for being spoiler heavy.

Lost Song was the biggest surprise for me last season. I started out mildly enjoying and after the big twist, I ended up falling in love with it (so I'm glad their is going to be additional shows set in it's universe). That being said, I think the twist only works if you found yourself invested in the characters before it occurs. Like I enjoyed the antics of Rin's company on their journey to the big city but if you only saw them as walking tropes, then you'd probably just want the show to be over as soon possible.

Heck my favorite character was Henry Leobort (I love how terrible this name is). Watching Henry's fights were my favorite moments as they always look so flashy and cool. Henry's got this really engaging presence and he works well with the entire cast despite for the most part being your archetypical white knight. My favorite version of Henry is in the Rin timeline as he feels weaker than he was in Finis's timeline. So he has to rely more on guile to accomplish his tasks like how I broke everyone out of prison.

Al's my second favorite as he gets the most character development out of the entire cast. I think Misaki Kuno did a fantastic job voicing him. I think Konomo Suzuki did a good job voicing Rin but I feel she was little wooden at times. Konomo still has an amazing singing voice and both her and Yukari Tamura bring their A-game to this production.

As for negatives, I think the comedy bits only really worked half the time and when it didn't work, it made groan a little. Also 2 out of 3 of the villains were really under developed. Like Barza's just a bandit who wants to conquer his kingdom and Prince Rude is just a jealous douchebag who loves being evil. Finis on the other hand is a pretty interesting anti villain. She goes berserk after losing the man she loves and ends up using a spell that only kills the world but the forbidden song forces her to experience it's end multiple times. As an immortal all of the bonds she makes end up being only temporary and after experincing the world's end so many times that she's just praying for an end to the cycle of her suffering. So at least for me it makes sense that wants to try to end of everything for good.

Also, why is no one talking about that creepy CG band, I get goosebumps everytime the band shows up.
ChimeyChime

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2018 7:05 pm Reply with quote
The reviewers were spot on. This show was so stupid. Though, I liked the evil guy. At least he had a personality. Laughing

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2018 7:15 am Reply with quote
i mean. i just watched it and it made me cry.! i feel like i just over-appreciate the fact that someone out there was willing to make a well illustrated story about this. i love stories that make a normal world have magic in it. gives me some kind of hope? if i can’t be magical, at least i kind of get to experience it ya know? plus the story itself made me really sad. i haven’t cried this much in a long time. i’m also a lover of art n stuff so i just really enjoyed this super simple story overall i guess.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2