• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Legendary Produces Hollywood Live-Action Film of My Hero Academia Manga

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
AnimeLordLuis

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2018 10:17 pm Reply with quote
Hollywood Executive: Okay people you know the drill we’re adapting another Japanese IP into a big budget hollywood movie so take out EVERYTHING that made people fall in love with it in the first place and replace it with our usual crap. Because we know what the people want they don’t have a clue as to what they want but we sure do.
OjaruFan2

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2018 10:20 pm Reply with quote
The franchise's overall concept definitely sounds Hollywood-worthy, so I personally think that a live-action adaptation could work. As long as it's written and presented in a way that could attract mass-market audiences, while also being a quality product that's actually worth watching, I can see it doing very well at the box office.

Engineering Nerd wrote:
Dwayne Johnson as All Might, please!!!!! Just picture it, guys Cool

Yes! That role would be right up his alley!

luisedgarf wrote:
and keep in mind Naruto failed big time to make an impression in both Mexico and Latin America.

Why did it fail over there?
Lord Oink

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2018 10:24 pm Reply with quote
Kadmos1 wrote:
Some of the big questions to ask: Are they going to Whitewash it? How many years in development limbo will it be? Will it likely bomb?

Yes.
Yes.

I look forward to the adventures of Derek, Buster, Olive, and Terrence.
Nekelen Tinsley

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2018 10:32 pm Reply with quote
Id love to be optimistic about this but I can't help but see this as just being bad. Hope if it is bad it's at least it's so bad its good cause then it'll be a fun watch.

Engineering Nerd wrote:
Dwayne Johnson as All Might, please!!!!! Just picture it, guys Cool

Most definitely

LegitPancake wrote:
Hasn’t this already been done? It was called Sky High.

Anime hyper
Ashen Phoenix

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2018 11:03 pm Reply with quote
Hmm. No offense to The Rock, but I'm pretty burned out on him lately.

As always, I hope this adaptation can understand and retain at least the core essence of what makes HeroAca resonate with so many people. That way, even if they go the loosely-inspired route, the themes could be the same.
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2018 11:03 pm Reply with quote
If they could have cameos by as many of the Funi VA as possible, that would reason enough for me to see this movie. It might be the film's saving grace.
Scion Drake

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2018 11:11 pm Reply with quote
Well America has proven they know their superhero films.

Thing is that’s mostly due to Marvel Studios & this is Legendary Pictures.

Then again they have a decent Godzilla franchise (hopefully King of the Monsters is great) so maybe it won’t be as bad as an average DCEU flick.

Like pray it’s as a good as a mid-tier Marvel movie at least.
kotomikun

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2018 11:11 pm Reply with quote
Has there ever been a live action adaptation of a cartoon that wasn't, at best, mediocre? Maybe there's a stretch of an example that technically counts, but I can't think of any. Which is kid of weird given the massive movie industry that's sprung up around American comic books.

If there's a first time for everything, this is probably that time, since Hollywood is already very familiar with superheroes. I'm still skeptical they can pull this off, though. As with all such things, they will inevitably try to make it Serious And Dark, and certain important things like those super ultimate galactic hadoken punches will look ridiculous in live action no matter how you slice it. Still, worst case, we get some new MST3K material.
DRosencraft

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2018 11:12 pm Reply with quote
Objectively, this shouldn't be that hard. Heck, the intent behind the series seems to have been to make a Japanese version of a superhero comic. There are some tripping points, but they're not nearly as large as anything else Hollywood's tried developing.

The basic setting - youngsters with superpowers learning to use and control them - is basically X-Men First Class minus the discrimination element. Problem is, X-Men movies have generally not done all that well (save the Wolverine specific ones). Actually, most superhero movies that weren't Superman or Batman have tended to do poorly until the Marvel boom of the last decade plus, and even those two have had spotty records.

MHA forgoes most of the social commentary stuff for much of its run, so that makes it more in line with a Marvel movie. All the fighting is mostly hand-to-hand or easily distinguishable powers (fire, ice, sound waves), instead of more abstract concepts of "ball of energy" and the like. I don't know there is a single anime franchise that would have been as suitable to adapt. Even Dragonball, despite its simplistic plot, has elements that make it complex for live-action adaptation, as seen by the failure of Evolution (in no small part to the terrible job of trying to bridge those complexities).

This could be done relatively easily if they don't get too lax or too technical. Try too hard and they change everything that made that story what it was. Too lax and they just gloss right over everything memorable and unique about the series.
SWAnimefan

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2018 11:17 pm Reply with quote
Saw the news on Twitter and my first reaction: I got a BAD feeling about this...

As much as I love MHA, I absolutely cannot see it as a Live-Action movie. You already got 3 major negatives:

1) All Teen-age movies end up being stupid-campy nonsense.
2) All failed adaptations of Anime and Manga series over the years.
3) The cast very likely isn't going to be all Japanese / Asian (you know they will be Westernized).

Right there isn't good signs off-the-bat. And we know Bakugo's character will go from a surly character to a bullyish character. Minata won't be perverted. Uraraka's admiration for Deku will be viewed differently. And I wouldn't be at all surprised that the outfits of the women will be altered to be more "conservative" (except for Jiro and Hagakure). I just can't help to think this movie will just be MHA in name and not in spirit.

Well, at least the Naruto Live-Action movie got cancelled, because even Kishimoto knew it was a bad idea.
Stuart Smith

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2018 11:45 pm Reply with quote
kotomikun wrote:
Has there ever been a live action adaptation of a cartoon that wasn't, at best, mediocre? Maybe there's a stretch of an example that technically counts, but I can't think of any. Which is kid of weird given the massive movie industry that's sprung up around American comic books.

The thing about comic book movies is they are extremely loose with the source material. They're not really accurate depictions of the comics aside from character names and general outlines. It's true there's a huge movie industry for comics right now, but it's essentially an isolated success and I don't view it as evidence an adaption of My Hero Academia would be faithful to the source material. If people are expecting to see the anime but in live-action form, they're going to be disappointed.

-Stuart Smith
Agent355

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2018 12:03 am Reply with quote
Legendary really wants a superhero franchise, don't they?

I agree, in theory My Hero Academia should be easy for Hollywood to adapt. In practice, Hollywood only gets superhero movies right about half the time, and Japanese media adaptations...well, Edge of Tomorrow was pretty good.

So good luck to the writers. This is not going to be easy!
EducatedRuffian

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2018 6:18 am Reply with quote
I see this bombing to the ground hard.
mulletZERO

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2018 8:52 am Reply with quote
Oh dear. Can we not?
danpmss

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2018 9:10 am Reply with quote
luisedgarf wrote:
GoldCrusader wrote:
When you are one of the most popular series in the world...it was always only a question of time.

Are you kidding me? Maybe the TV series and the manga are popular in Japan and the English-speaking world for obvious reasons, but I doubt MHA being popular elsewhere. As an example, here in Mexico MHA is basically considered as a cult manga, but not in the same level as Dragon Ball, Saint Seiya, Sailor Moon and even Naruto, and keep in mind Naruto failed big time to make an impression in both Mexico and Latin America.

If you include South America in the calculations for "Latin America", Naruto was as big as all of these classics in Brazil, Argentina and Chile, ESPECIALLY in Brazil (we got it reprising almost every single day for more than 10 years, in one of our biggest public TV stations around, SBT, although I'm not sure if it continues to this day, as all of the others stopped reprising in a while as well, not counting ressurrections here and there).
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3