• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
ANNCast - The Thing About My Dokes

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
TarsTarkas

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2018 2:53 pm Reply with quote
I was not talking about humanity in general. PMMM is about the Magical Girls.

I think most people would consider turning into a monster that will kill your friends and loved ones, among other things, would be a big deal.

While Kyubey and his like, are responsible for some Magiical Girls turning into Witches, (mainly by not telling them what would happen). They are not the source of Witches and Wraiths. Witches and Wraiths are formed from a manifestation of human grief. Not by the hand or mind of Kyubey
Shiflan

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2018 5:18 pm Reply with quote
TarsTarkas wrote:
I was not talking about humanity in general. PMMM is about the Magical Girls.

Understood. But surely humanity matters too, right? After all, in your next paragraph you talk about friends and loved ones. Either humanity as a whole matters or it does not. What good is it if things are better for magical girls but the world as a whole (which the magical girls live in and interact with) is on a never-ending downward spiral that is doomed to repeat itself over and over? And that cycle cannot be broken even by a literal re-creation of the entire universe?

Quote:
I think most people would consider turning into a monster that will kill your friends and loved ones, among other things, would be a big deal.

In the case of "friends and loved ones" the situation is equal: horrible monsters with magical powers spread misery, death, and destruction. Remember that we are explicitly told that humanity in general has no idea what witches are or how they work. From humanity's perspective things are no different pre- or post- Madokami. In both cases, supernatural forces which humanity is not aware of and does not understand cause random havoc which humanity blames on other things, like weather and mental illness.
In the case of magical girls, compare:
A) The girls suffer a great deal while QB gathers their emotional energy until they either die fighting or they transform into a witch--a state which lacks humanity, consciousness, and awareness.
with
B) The girls suffer a great deal while QB gathers their emotional energy until they either die fighting or they are "taken into the void".

I agree that B sounds better but can we really say the improvement is enough to make it a "happy ending"? Especially when the director chose to show us no scenes of hope in the new world, and instead chose to emphasize similarity and impermanence instead?

Quote:
While Kyubey and his like, are responsible for some Magiical Girls turning into Witches, (mainly by not telling them what would happen). They are not the source of Witches and Wraiths. Witches and Wraiths are formed from a manifestation of human grief. Not by the hand or mind of Kyubey

We are clearly told the process:
Girl makes contract with QB and becomes a magical girl. After she has suffered enough despair to balance the hope she wished for when she contracted, then she becomes a witch. You cannot have a witch without a magical girl. And you cannot have magical girls without an incubator. If there were no incubators then there would be no magical girls, and there would be no witches or wraiths. Everything hinges on the incubators.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4