• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
This Week in Anime - Is Back Street Girls: Gokudols Worth Watching?

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
JacobC
ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2018 11:01 pm Reply with quote
kotomikun wrote:
Takkun4343 wrote:
I can't help but wonder if the contributors to this column ever read these comment sections.

Probably not, echo chambers aren't exactly privy to outside influence.

Shall I dig up Jacob's comment on a previous thread pointing out the mind-boggling irony of these comment sections repeating the same dissenting opinion over and over while calling the reviewers an echo-chamber (of two people?)--simultaneously revealing that they do read the comments and indirectly implying why he stopped doing these columns--or can you find it yourself?

Just a small addendum to this: forums response is not why I quit contributing to TWIA. I just had too much on my plate (preparing for TWIA can be extremely time-consuming) and thought it would be better to delegate to other voices so I could focus on more editorial work. I stand by the rest of it though. "Shouting about how much you love a shitty forgettable slideshow of an anime to own the libs."
BodaciousSpacePirate
Subscriber

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2018 12:36 am Reply with quote
Quote:
We can start with the premise, which is supposed to be Yakuza Idols, except the writer was convinced that Yakuza Idols isn't a strong enough premise. So we get gender-swapped Yakuza idols, but that also can't just be accepted without further establishing that they became girls through forced surgeries in less than a year. Okay fine, if you're so convinced that you need that much justification for why your idols have a hardened Yakuza worldview, I guess go for it.

I am exceedingly skeptical that there was any point at which the elevator pitch for this story didn't include the phrase "and then they go to Thailand and get big boobs!" What's more, you wouldn't have to work too hard to convince me that the gender-swapped idols gimmick existed in the mangaka's mind well before the yakuza idols gimmick.
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2018 12:45 am Reply with quote
Takkun4343 wrote:
I can't help but wonder if the contributors to this column ever read these comment sections.

I can assure you they do. Now do you have anything of actual value and on topic to add to the conversation? Or are you simply trying to leave bait? If it's the latter I suggest you simply move on.

As for everyone else I did some major cleanup. If you're just going to troll the thread because someone said something you didn't agree with then don't bother. Nobody says you have to agree with a review but simply trolling threads with flamebait posts is pointless and adds nothing of value. So either actually post on the show or the actual column, or just save it for elsewhere.
Yuvelir

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2018 6:30 am Reply with quote
Chester McCool wrote:
I don't keep up with all these TWIA features, but has there ever been a case where they harp on a social issue in a show but still say they love the show? I think examples of those would be more convincing to people than simply saying something like "they don't hate shows just because they're politically incorrect.. it just so happens all politically incorrect shows are bad". Something like "This show is terrible with gay characters, they're all overly offensive and stereotypical. Which is a shame because everything else is amazing"

I kind of recall the Asobi Asobase one being like that. But it helps that the polemic character only shows up every other episode.
Takkun4343

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2018 7:38 am Reply with quote
Psycho 101 wrote:
Takkun4343 wrote:

I can assure you they do. Now do you have anything of actual value and on topic to add to the conversation? Or are you simply trying to leave bait? If it's the latter I suggest you simply move on.

I assure you I meant nothing serious or malicious by it. I haven't seen Gokudols so I can't say I have as much attachment to a positive opinion as many of the other people here in this thread, but I have noticed that these columns tend to be slightly repetitive in the opinions the main discussers hold, namely their similarity to one another. It's not that I actively dislike it like the actual trolls do - "echo chamber" was just a humorous reference to their viewpoints that I see didn't hit with many of you - but I do honestly feel that the occasional column where the show of topic is one that one person likes and the other hates would make TWIA a little more engaging. Just a little.

Either way, I apologize if my comment of pure curiosity with a questionable punchline offended you, I won't reply to this thread anymore if you really don't want me and my style of posting here.
FackuIkari

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2018 7:47 am Reply with quote
I thought it was f**king hilarious
Scalfin

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2018 9:33 am Reply with quote
Psycho 101 wrote:
Takkun4343 wrote:

As for everyone else I did some major cleanup. If you're just going to troll the thread because someone said something you didn't agree with then don't bother. Nobody says you have to agree with a review but simply trolling threads with flamebait posts is pointless and adds nothing of value. So either actually post on the show or the actual column, or just save it for elsewhere.

Not any more pointless than trying to "review" a series you decided you were going to hate well ahead of time.
VerQuality

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2018 10:42 am Reply with quote
JacobC wrote:
"Shouting about how much you love a shitty forgettable slideshow of an anime to own the libs."

Some people seem to conflate "transgressive" with "funny". I can't see why, but I remember it being bloody everywhere in the mid to late 00s (especially with South Park and early internet culture). In this case, it's a weird hill to plant your flag on, as it's a barely animated mess of a series that it seems few of the staff really cared about at all (apart from the VAs, it seems?).

Psycho 101 wrote:
As for everyone else I did some major cleanup.

Wow. I really don't want to know what this thread was like before the cleanup.
MesousaGaby

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2018 11:08 am Reply with quote
Wait, so one of the most major criticisms of this show is because of the static animation?

Wasn't Cromartie High School praised for doing the same thing?
Asrialys

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2018 11:29 am Reply with quote
I wonder who actually danced in the OP...
Mhora

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2018 11:38 am Reply with quote
VerQuality wrote:
Psycho 101 wrote:
As for everyone else I did some major cleanup.

Wow. I really don't want to know what this thread was like before the cleanup.
there was nothing questionable in the thread. they just feel like removing very specific voices in the community. I actually wanted to talk about the show, but you can't really do that when they shut us down.
Raul Estovez

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2018 11:41 am Reply with quote
Watched the first couple of episodes and laughed pretty good.

"Dark humor is like food, not everyone gets it."
-J Stalin
Yuvelir

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2018 12:06 pm Reply with quote
MesousaGaby wrote:
Wait, so one of the most major criticisms of this show is because of the static animation?

Wasn't Cromartie High School praised for doing the same thing?

It can be used for good effect but a lack of animation is not intrinsically a good thing. And Gokudolls didn't really use it for good, it was a hurdle imposed by their lack of resources that they couldn't really overcome.
macattack

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2018 2:05 pm Reply with quote
Raul Estovez wrote:
Watched the first couple of episodes and laughed pretty good.

"Dark humor is like food, not everyone gets it."
-J Stalin

Roger Ebert also has a good quote.

"I may disapprove of a movie for going too far, and yet have a sneaky regard for a movie that goes much, much farther than merely too far."

Gokudols is this. It doesn't just cross the line, it crosses the line many times. So many times I can't take whatever goes in in that show with any seriousness at all and just roll with it.

It's absolutely outrageous and insane and simply can be hilarious due to excessive it is. I find it best to only do one episode at a time though, the act does get a little old if you try to binge it.
Beatdigga

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2018 2:06 pm Reply with quote
That’s why it’s a good fit for Netflix. You can dive into one or two and then take a much needed break.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4