• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: More Haruhi Suzumiya Auditions

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
CGord

PostPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2006 12:08 am Reply with quote
It's all about Ms Higgins for me, though I think they all do a pretty good job of it. I would never think of Michelle Ruff for the role, but she didn't sound out of place at all. I've met & messaged with Kate H a small amount, & I develop loyalties pretty readily, so my vote is not what you'd call unbiased.

Kate Higgins FTW! Smile
Malintex Terek

PostPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2006 12:24 am Reply with quote
After a long bout of thinking, I went with #3; she's pretty much perfect for Yuki. Haha, it's quite amazing to see people divided amongst those two candidates, though.
frentymon
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2006 12:41 am Reply with quote
Am I the only one who thinks that #1 isn't even a contender for #3?

#1 sounds too sweet and approachable to be Yuki. Ryoko maybe, but definitely not Yuki.
Aki Ameko

PostPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2006 1:29 am Reply with quote
I voted for #3. She sounded a bit TOO robotic, but deeper than the rest (I just felt that she should sound deeper, my opinion) and looking at a picture of Yuki I felt that that was the voice I could best imagine coming out of the character. Yay for Michelle Ruff! I also would not mind #1 either, but #2 sounded too cutesy and #4 was just not the right quality, though I can tell she tried hard to change that.
Renaisance Otaku

PostPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2006 1:44 am Reply with quote
I think they all are playing the robotic angle a bit too heavily. Yuki always sounded more neutral and dispassionate instead of outright robotic to me.

That said, it was basically between 1 and 3 with me as well. In the end, I went with 3 as she was much more uncaring sounding and neutral. Though it was hard to really diferentiate anything between the two, as they all were doing the robot bit to varying degrees. Looks like 1 is winning now though. She's not bad, but sounds a bit too annoyed in some of her lines. Still better then the other two, and about the same as 3. The voice might match a bit better. If she toned down the confliction, it might sound a bit more "Yuki".

Frankly, I wouldn't mind hearing another set of four.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
penguintruth

PostPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2006 2:29 am Reply with quote
#1 drags out lines too much. #2 sounds psuedo-whistful, not strong enough. #4 made me cringe at her "HAROO-HE Suzumiya", but is otherwise pretty good.

Still, even if #4 was my first choice for Yuki (if it's Stephanie Sheh), I chose #3, because she's strong, forceful, but detached at the same time. Very "to the point" without interest.

If either #3 or #4 win, I'll be satisfied.

Edit: I actually voted against BOTH of my original choices to play Yuki! Even I can't be right all the time, children.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
gimmegmailemail

PostPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2006 5:10 am Reply with quote
same here with #1 and #3.
1 had the better voice, but 3 had Yuki's style down better, so I went with 3.

I also love how they subtitled the Ep 00, and gave props to those who support and buy DVDs.
Raven Shinobi

PostPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2006 8:06 am Reply with quote
I was torn between 1 and 3, but after a few times of listening to both again I decided that I liked #1 more, though #3 had an advantage of sounding more laid-back.
pinoyfreestyler

PostPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2006 10:35 am Reply with quote
omnistry wrote:
Yeah we know. 1 or 3 would be perfect for the role.

I agree. Either one for me is okay.

As long as it's not 2 and 4 which is obviously not going to happen for the role of Yuki Nagato. Wherein 4 sounds like a robot in the first setence while 2 does not even come close to 1 or 3 or even the Japanese voice.
HeeroTX

PostPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2006 11:23 am Reply with quote
Am I the only one that finds how #3 says OR-din-AIR-ee very annoying? I think #3 sounds too robotic, Yuki should be dispassionate/emotionless not "robotic".
tueac

PostPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2006 11:38 am Reply with quote
I still think no.3 sound the best for yuki. since no.1 sound too sweet... yuki is very neutral and almost emotionless. But i can't seem to vote or is the voting time over...

Still no.3 sound the best.
GoodLuckSaturday

PostPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2006 12:13 pm Reply with quote
CGord wrote:
It's all about Ms Higgins for me, though I think they all do a pretty good job of it. I would never think of Michelle Ruff for the role, but she didn't sound out of place at all. I've met & messaged with Kate H a small amount, & I develop loyalties pretty readily, so my vote is not what you'd call unbiased.

Kate Higgins FTW! Smile

I agree. I voted #1, and I'm glad to see it was actually Kate Higgins (I haven't heard her in enough to actually pick her voice out), but I am loving her performance as Saber in Fate/stay night, so I know she can pull off Yuki very well and I really liked the audition snippet.
EmperorBrandon
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2006 12:51 pm Reply with quote
penguintruth wrote:
#1 drags out lines too much. #2 sounds psuedo-whistful, not strong enough. #4 made me cringe at her "HAROO-HE Suzumiya", but is otherwise pretty good.

These are just audition samples and likely wouldn't be the final product any case. I have a feeling the dub studio will do pretty well with pronunciation.
rpgmaster1

PostPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2006 1:07 pm Reply with quote
How come no one reported to ANN that Jennifer Sekiguchi and Stephanie Sheh are the same person? No one I was shocked to see both names in FLCL and that they were the same person. Which name is her alias like Johnny Yong Bosch and Kevin Hatcher (alias) or Megan Hollingshed and Kate Thompson (alias)? I'm surprised that Kate Higgins is #1 and Michelle Ruff is #3. I haven't heard Kate's role as Saber but I've seen the fansubs of Fate so she should be pretty good. Michelle Ruff sounds very much like Sakiko Sagi from Paranoia Agent so she's good as Yuki as well. #2 & #4 are no way near acting like Yuki. I feel sorry for Dorothy Fahn because she's trying to get back in anime voice-acting, but only has a minor role in the popular Bleach.
EmperorBrandon
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2006 1:33 pm Reply with quote
rpgmaster1 wrote:
How come no one reported to ANN that Jennifer Sekiguchi and Stephanie Sheh are the same person? No one I was shocked to see both names in FLCL and that they were the same person. Which name is her alias like Johnny Yong Bosch and Kevin Hatcher (alias) or Megan Hollingshed and Kate Thompson (alias)?

Some actors don't want their alternate names linked (or known for that matter).

The real name is usually the one seen credited in union dubs (Naruto, Eureka Seven, etc.). Check titles in the CrystalAcids database to see which ones are union and non-union.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 4 of 9