• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Fate/stay night: Heaven's Feel II. lost butterfly

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
killjoy_the

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2019 4:41 pm Reply with quote
Randomalias wrote:
First off, that is a genuinely poor decision considering it's her route. Second, that isn't actually Sakura, and you shouldn't even be suspecting it at that point unless you went in with inaccurate spoilers and a bias against her in mind. Third, Saber and Rin do kill Shirou in bad ends as well, often ones related to Caster. spoiler[The only bad end where it's actually Sakura killing Shirou is the very last one, and it's clear she does it out of a warped sense of mercy since the world is doomed at that point anyways.]

Oh I'm not defending my choices at all, don't worry about that part. And while I did suspect it was Sakura, what ended up giving it away was the game itself because the tip it gave me for not dying was treating Sakura better, so I just added up the numbers. And the other routes might've had bad ends like that, but I didn't get them Razz

Still, I don't hate Sakura at all, she's just my least favorite of the heroines.
GhostStalkerSA

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2019 5:48 pm Reply with quote
There’s a decent percentage of the fandom that actively dislikes Sakura, yeah. Some of it is because they prefer the other two heroines, but there’s only so many times one can unironically refer to her as “wormslut” before it gets gross (hint: the number is related to her Origin spoiler[Imaginary Numbers]).

Worse are the people who picked up that appellation for her from following said fandom and regurgitating it without thinking. I mean, I love the Fate fandom, but man if certain portions of it aren’t disgusting at times.
Calsolum

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2019 9:18 pm Reply with quote
GhostStalkerSA wrote:
Time Bandit wrote:
Yeah pretty much this. Gilgamesh is pretty damn great in my opinion (him and Cu are best boys for me), but Heaven's Feel kept him so much in the background, it almost felt like his scenes just didn't need to be there (that goes for both movies). He either gave some snarky commentary (voiced or not), and then...that fight scene. Kinda underwhelming for a character of his caliber.

Then again, I am an anime only fan in the Fate universe. Maybe he gets a bigger part in the VN?

Again, it’s been a while since I’ve read HF, but no, Gil doesn’t have a larger role in this route (mostly being cryptic with Kirei) and is worfed in much the same way to drive home how dangerous the Shadow is. Coming after how big a threat he was in both Fate and UBW, both of which you are supposed to have played before starting HF, it’s supposed to work that way. Same way (Fake) Assassin was killed off so quickly this route to let (True) Assassin make his entrance, or how Caster was swiftly eliminated here, or Rider was an afterthought in UBW, or how Saber was sidelined in most of UBW because her story was explored in the Fate route. It’s just how routes work.

I too was disappointed in his lack screen time, not because i wanted to see him mind you but rather I wanted to see him make a big spectacle of himself and then get rekt by shirou or archer since he abhors fakers so much.
Despite that, his death makes perfect sense given his character.
To my knowledge, he's just too broken as a servant and really the only way to beat him is while he's being arrogant and underestimating his opponent ... which he did
And he got glomped like Madoka Magica's spoiler[Mami]
If I'd known beforehand that would have been his last scene in HF I think I'd have chuckled a bit at the theatre.
It also doesn't help that the whole time most scenes involving the shadow or sakura was giving off Horror movie vibes.
I wasn't 'scared' but it was definitely chilling which is really rare from anime.
Funny enough if he hadn't wasted time mouthing off to Sakura about almost making him kneel and then slowly realigning himself he could have noped the F*** out of there and just bombed the area with explosive noble phantasms(can't see why he wouldn't have any) once he gained some distance.
Hell in F/Z he had an alien fighter jet, he coulda just used that.

Anyway Goldielocks rant aside I thought this anime was far better than any adaptation I'd seen till now.
Fate/Prisma snowflake's oath was really good narratively but this one's action scenes we just so much better.
That scene where saber alter blocks one of berserker's earth-shattering punches with what seemed like very little effort was so satisfying, then she goes beyond and knocks his fist away then proceeds to uppercut him into the sky.
Damn why can't all anime fight scenes be as epic as that, oh right money.
Definitely gonna get the LE bluray's the moment its available.
That said it wasn't without a few hiccups.
Shirou still makes some really silly decisions that while I can just dismiss as just him being dumb(like right after being told NOT to mess with archer's arm he tries to take off the seal, glad he immediately realized through shock what a terrible idea that was) I'm sure other people just find that irritating about him.
One thing that really stood out was the final scene with Shinji where he's about to rape her and she finally resists and screams 'I belong to sempai/Shirou.'
Yeah... If she'd said something, anything that expressed her agency or freedom of choice like 'I love sempai/Shirou' or even something like 'I'm not your toy anymore' would have been better.
Tristan_Taylor

PostPosted: Sun Mar 31, 2019 4:43 pm Reply with quote
I just wanted to leave a reply here to let you guys know that there’s a video review of Fate S/N Lost Butterfly that seems like they’ve copied your review almost word-for-word. Their pros for the movie are literally the exact same words you used. The link is https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=RZpa6pokrv0 , or if you don’t want to click on a random link on the internet, it’s King Arthur Reviews: Fate stay/night: Heaven’s Feel - II. Lost Butterfly. I mean it’s a very small channel, but I thought I should just let you know.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
Page 6 of 6