• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Boogiepop and Others

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
AiddonValentine

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2019 9:22 pm Reply with quote
Man, this really shows why this series was the one to kick off Dengeki Bunko
yuna49

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2019 10:21 pm Reply with quote
If Phantom is anime-original, does that mean we won't see Nagi in her leather biker incarnation, or will that version of her character be making an appearance in the weeks to come?
alconnow_

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2019 4:15 am Reply with quote
yuna49 wrote:
If Phantom is anime-original, does that mean we won't see Nagi in her leather biker incarnation, or will that version of her character be making an appearance in the weeks to come?

You will be seeing that in a couple of weeks time.
Xiximaro

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2019 8:22 pm Reply with quote
Still Boogiepop and the Others instead of Boogiepop Never Laughs is just down, lazy, bad translated and stupid...
Mhora

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2019 8:03 am Reply with quote
Poor gay guy! Anime hyper Sweet dude. The reveal had me gagging!
AiddonValentine

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2019 9:15 pm Reply with quote
Man, this show introduces so much so rapidly but it never feels like it's rushing. As soon as one thing has finished we're off to the next thing and then the next. The characters being interesting definitely helps
Nordhmmer

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2019 3:30 am Reply with quote
AiddonValentine wrote:
Man, this show introduces so much so rapidly but it never feels like it's rushing. As soon as one thing has finished we're off to the next thing and then the next. The characters being interesting definitely helps

Well,Boogiepop's overall story is told through a series of non-linear,somewhat standalone volumes(22 currently)-The anime is seemingly adapting one volume per 3 episodes,so yup quite a bit is being thrown at viewers(and readers).

Boogiepop at Dawn(v6) will adapted as a special long episode for this season,and that's good news,as Boogieop at Dawn tells the origin story.

miteethor

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2019 4:56 pm Reply with quote
I think I’m going to have to be one of the few that jump off of the hype train. This show is just a confusing mess for someone who hasn’t read any source material. I think if this was told in chronological order it would be better - the gimmick of holding each episode to one person’s perspective just isn’t working for me as a casual.

I have no idea what’s happening in this show and I’m not sure if I care to put in the effort to find out at this point.
SpookyDollhouse

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2019 5:53 pm Reply with quote
Everytime we have an anime attempt non-linear surrealistic storytelling there's the inevitable "doesn't make sense, why isn't it easy to consume, it sucks" and I get a lil sad inside.
pharmboy23

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2019 6:14 pm Reply with quote
The non-linear storytelling is one of the best features of the show, imho. It adds an air of mystery and adds little touches to the actions of characters that really pays off. I think it’s a fascinating choice to illustrate how these peoples’ lives intertwine and connect, even if briefly.

It’s nice to have to work at something to put the whole story together. And you can’t say the show doesn’t play fair - it all makes sense in the context of the story being told.
darkchibi07

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2019 7:06 pm Reply with quote
This is definitely one of those shows where rewatching or marathon it will be really beneficial. I should try rewatching the first 3 episodes in order to pick out the little details.
danpmss

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2019 9:29 am Reply with quote
McThundergoose wrote:
Everytime we have an anime attempt non-linear surrealistic storytelling there's the inevitable "doesn't make sense, why isn't it easy to consume, it sucks" and I get a lil sad inside.

I will make your words my own. If you don't wanna think while watching or reading something, just don't touch the mystery genre as a whole, it's not for you, and it's not a casual read/watch unless you like very simplified "murder" mystery plots like Scooby Doo and Detective Conan (although the latter has absolute brilliance outside most the minor cases and also in some of them).

Like, it's just not your kind of entertainment, and this series in particular is for the people who like narrative traps and multiple perspectives hinting at the major elements before the big reveals come up solving previously presented pieces of information. It's the kind of entertainment made for people who loves theorizing and solving a story before the answer come up, and if not, be surprised at how did the author tricked them into thinking otherwise and yet giving a coherent solution that passed through your reasoning.
Aresef

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2019 2:32 pm Reply with quote
Boogiepop Phantom was my anime gateway drug (my Type-S, if you will). I think I'll wait for the home release.
dm
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2019 7:10 pm Reply with quote
I have a feeling this is really a show to binge, or at least watch episodes in rapid succession, in order to keep the characters and their relationships straight. That's not a criticism --- my favorite shows are like that.
Nom De Plume De Fanboy
Subscriber
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2019 11:11 am Reply with quote
episode 9

So, Imaginator is spoiler[retreating out of the picture for a while, at least. Given that it is mostly but not quite All Dead, ok, not a big suprise.]

Jin is spoiler[knocked back on his heels,] and his followers spoiler[will go back to being normal eventually, I guess. Wonder if they will ever remember anything. Waking up in clown makeup in a crowd of the same, that could give a person pause. ] Laughing

Boogiepop spoiler[shows up when something reaches some level, and not just when it feels like it. Emotional tension in peoples hearts is required, maybe? It isn't invulnerable, though, as it does have to doge bullets, evidently. So there is some risk in the story. ] And then says, "You already know who I am" and rides into the sunset.

As much as I like this show, I get the Dr Who-ish vibe that it can be, um, flexable about things.

Still looking forward to the next arc.

A Dr Who crossover with Boogiepop - I think I could like that.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 2 of 5