• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Kaguya-sama: Love is War

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Nom De Plume De Fanboy
Subscriber
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2019 3:06 am Reply with quote
^ Seconded. Somebody went to a hell of a lot of work for that animation. Very nicely done, and in character for Chika Fujiwara, who seems to be the lively open spirit for this show. And I liked the music, which is seldom the case ( me not a big fan of J-Pop ).
FilthyCasual

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2019 8:08 pm Reply with quote
I can't believe we already got the best ED of the year.
dm
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2019 8:56 pm Reply with quote
The ED for episode two (with allusions to Laputa and maybe On your mark) was very nice, but episode three's was absolutely delightful.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2019 10:58 pm Reply with quote
Unfortunately the review did not mention the buttery smooth ED, that must have been some form of rotoscope without feeling quite uncanny valley.
saihamaru

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2019 4:48 am Reply with quote
Quote:
furiously peddling his bicycle

he's so broke that he need to sell his bicycle now? poor guy

jokes aside, i think you mean "pedaling"
kinghumanity

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2019 8:07 am Reply with quote
What did Chika spend 16 minutes telling Kaguya?
Animegomaniac

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2019 11:08 am Reply with quote
Maybe I watched a badly translated version, though it was official, but I had to restart the "twenty questions but really ten" segment several times and I still didn't get what Miyuki was trying to solve for.

The version I saw went from a discussion of how much Miyuki knew about her right to explaining the game directly to playing the game. Was the goal outright stated in other version or was it just a given that the game was about the thing that improved Kaguya's personality?
GrimaH

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2019 12:42 pm Reply with quote
Animegomaniac wrote:
Maybe I watched a badly translated version, though it was official, but I had to restart the "twenty questions but really ten" segment several times and I still didn't get what Miyuki was trying to solve for.

The version I saw went from a discussion of how much Miyuki knew about her right to explaining the game directly to playing the game. Was the goal outright stated in other version or was it just a given that the game was about the thing that improved Kaguya's personality?

He didn't really set out to solve anything. He'd made an offhand remark about understanding Kaguya better nowadays, and that led her to bait him into the 10 Questions game to make him prove it (and at the same time goad him into a "you thought I liked you? How cute" moment).
Animegomaniac

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2019 6:26 am Reply with quote
GrimaH wrote:
Animegomaniac wrote:

He didn't really set out to solve anything. He'd made an offhand remark about understanding Kaguya better nowadays, and that led her to bait him into the 10 Questions game to make him prove it (and at the same time goad him into a "you thought I liked you? How cute" moment).

I know they had to skip over the "I am a person, place, thing or idea" opening part of the game otherwise the whole gambit wouldn't have worked but they quickly skipped over the reason for it as well? Also, it's sad that Miykui had to waste a question on what should have been a given.... and the fact he was led to confuse person and thing should have been a tell.

Then again, this is not "No Game, No Life". If it was, the second question asked would have been "Is it something in this room?" as line of sight thinking is a given for most people.
S0crates

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2019 6:15 am Reply with quote
Episode 4 was absolute gold. xD
Nom De Plume De Fanboy
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2019 1:18 pm Reply with quote
Very fun episode. And we got to see Chika dancing some more when (minor spoiler) spoiler[she switched to her rap vocabulary to play the game,] with the animation quality staying quite good.
killjoy_the

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2019 5:45 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Hoping to test the young man's mettle, the eccentric headmaster tasks Betsy Beltoise, the student council vice-president of Shuchiin's French sister school, with engaging Miyuki in conversation and exposing his lack of French skills

N-no. He just wanted to see how he'd react to being insulted to his face by someone not from his school. He's surprised at the lack of reaction and even comments that "It's almost like he doesn't understand any of what she's saying"
John Thacker

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2019 8:23 pm Reply with quote
Fantastic guest appearance by Takehito Koyasu as Shirogane's father.
XerBlade
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2019 11:04 pm Reply with quote
Based on that review, it really feels like Amy and I were watching two completely different episodes.

This isn't anywhere close to the first time I've gotten that feeling from ANN's episode reviews, but it might be the first time that the ratings still matched up. Yeah, that sounds nothing like the episode I saw, but it's still A-.

P.S.
Amy McNulty wrote:
Kaguya's anger on Miyuki's behalf is a pretty clear indication that her feelings for him run much deeper than their daily power struggle.

Amy McNulty wrote:
Deep down, Kaguya and Miyuki really do know what love is, and their usual self-righteous behavior towards one another is simply a mask for the extreme vulnerability they feel.

Kaguya's whole shtick is just an act she puts up to cover up that she's really just too embarrassed to confess herself.
Per Episode 1's final scene where the narration literally stated that.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Animegomaniac

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2019 2:41 am Reply with quote
XerBlade wrote:

Kaguya's whole shtick is just an act she puts up to cover up that she's really just too embarrassed to confess herself.
Per Episode 1's final scene where the narration literally stated that.

And Miyuki's situation is that while he is intelligent and genuinely feels he belongs among these elites, Kaguya comes from a family whose wealth tallies in the trillions of yen while he comes a more normal background so he knows he can't be the first one to make a move because his appearance of strength and quality is his only thing that allows him to stand alongside Kaguya.

To borrow a phrase from another show, if Miyuki goes "Oh", he will forever behind Kaguya socially. Maybe the show needs to go back to spelling out the relationship dynamics each episode.

They're not doing this because they enjoy it or because they're bad people.

And it's odd how this review just skips past the highlight of the episode, the forbidden word game. My advice? Ch-ch-ch check it out.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 2 of 5