• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: New Fruits Basket Anime Reveals '1st season' Title, New Promo, Visual, Theme Song Artists

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Cardcaptor Takato

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2019 10:09 pm Reply with quote
Besides long running shonen shows, pretty much nobody does a full 39 episode show anymore these days. I think Karakuri Circus has been the only recent one and that one hasn't been all that good of an adaptation. But hopefully the first season means it will at lest be a two cour show.
Alestal

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2019 10:24 am Reply with quote
So, this is my first time watching the trailer and I have to say... these scenes and angles look almost identical to the previously released anime series. The art is updated, but that's about it. Am I missing anything?

Why didn't they just continue the story from where it left off with a second season? I'm sure they could have worked out the back end details.
SnowWarren

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2019 4:53 pm Reply with quote
Alestal wrote:
So, this is my first time watching the trailer and I have to say... these scenes and angles look almost identical to the previously released anime series. The art is updated, but that's about it. Am I missing anything?

Why didn't they just continue the story from where it left off with a second season? I'm sure they could have worked out the back end details.

It's mostly a matter of tone. The original manga had a much darker tone whilst the anime preferred to be more lighthearted. Several characters, such as Shigure and Tohru, had their negative traits left on the cutting room floor. Let's just say they also got Akito wrong. This did not sit well with the manga's author, Natsuki Takaya, who refused to let them make any more seasons. She's only allowed this remake on the condition that no staff from the original return and every character is recast.

The author has also decided that her original artstyle is rather outdated and requested that the new production update it to bring it more in line with modern shows.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2