• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The Summer 2019 Anime Preview Guide

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Key

PostPosted: Sun Jul 14, 2019 3:30 pm Reply with quote
Chrono1000 wrote:
BEM reminds me of the more serious episodes of GeGeGe no Kitaro but it can be even darker since it is a late night anime.

Not surprising, since the series that BEM is remaking originally debuted the same year as the series the GeGeGe no Kitaro is remaking.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Izanagi009

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2019 1:49 am Reply with quote
Key wrote:
Treecko Tempo wrote:
BodaciousSpacePirate wrote:

Thanks for the quick reply. I see what you mean about her really not being much of a main protagonist anymore. Just from the anime material I've seen she looks like one of the main protagonist to me, but it interesting to learn that she loses that in the future.

Even in the first anime series I would hesitate to call Index a co-protagonist, as she was nearly always either the subject of/motivator for Touma's actions or else acting within the context of his actions. Also, any hope for her to be the franchise's #1 girl got dashed by Mikoto's (unexpected?) rise in popularity and prominence; IIRC, even from early on Mikoto was widely-regarded as the franchise's Best Girl, and she was definitely one of the standard-bearers for tsundere in general by the end of the '00s.

Yeah, Index's treatment as a character is a sticking point for me when i try to evaluate or critique the show; to me, its endemic of the fact that the cast for Index is way too big, causing some characters to lose relevance quickly

As for Accelerator, I have to comment that I find him far better than Touma on some level as I feel his personal stakes, mainly his relation with the Misaka clones and Last Order, are greater than Touma who really just feels like he butts into things at times
Agent355

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2019 4:01 am Reply with quote
Great preview guide, guys! This looks like it’s going to be a fantastic season! Particularly for fans of Shonen and seinen series, thanks to Fire Force, Dr. Stone, Astra, and, especially Vinland Saga. I watched the first 3 episodes of VS with my dad, and I’m so excited to have a compelling, well written anime that’s appropriate for inter generational viewing—no weird anime tropes or fan service, and an historical fiction setting that no one had to be reincarnated into! Laughing

I liked Cop Craft but didn’t love it. I’ve seen that hard boiled detective guy in too many anime, he came off as generic. Would’ve been interesting if they had gender bent the cop buddies. And I’m glad one of the reviewers called out the shows uncomfortable reliance on racial stereotypes. Sometimes I think anime copies those depictions straight from bad Hollywood race stereotypes.

Talking about race, is anyone going to mention that the one named Iraqi character we meet in the first episode of Lord El-Melloi II’s Case Files is the bad guy? Because that made me even more uncomfortable than the pimp guy in Cop Craft. Waver’s just going to conflict ridden Middle Eastern countries, meeting evil locals (the only Iraqi student at British Magic School that we meet is a greedy, murderous kidnapper! JK Rowling deals with minority student characters better than that...) and blowing up priceless artifacts? WTF?!

BodaciousSpacePirate wrote:
ThatGuyWhoLikesThings wrote:
The Mari Okada Sex show felt mean-spirited in ways that just made my skin crawl. "Haha, let's laugh at these confused, anxious teenagers." Blegh.

It's very interesting to me how, for everyone who interprets Mari Okada's treatment of this topic as wholesome, there's someone else who interprets her as being meanspirited. This seems to carry over to the way the title has been presented over the past few weeks, too: I've seen some sites refer to the manga as a cringe comedy, while others refer to it as a strict coming-of-age melodrama.

I find myself being reminded of all the stories I've heard about how Hollywood was notoriously bad at matching mid-00s films about awkward adolescent experiences with their "right" audiences. For instance, Diablo Cody and Karyn Kusama filled the quirky horror film Jennifer's Body with feminist commentary on how puberty changes girls' previously-close friendships with other girls... yet, the movie was almost entirely marketed towards people who wanted to see Megan Fox take her top off. Insufficiently-aroused teenage boys left theaters disappointed, while everyone the movie was actually written to appeal to ended up staying home. On the more successful side of things, the film Napoleon Dynamite was reportedly written and directed by a Mormon couple who wanted to make a heartwarming-yet-funny film based on their own experiences growing up in early 90s Idaho, but Fox's market researchers decided that the film would make more money if it was presented to potential audiences as something much more belittling and meanspirited towards socially-awkward teens.

Anyway, something to think about, I guess.
Surprised

It’s *very* interesting! Maybe ANN should consider hiring two critics to do it’s streaming review...

And thanks for reminding me that I should check out Jennifer’s Body one of these days!
Meongantuk

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2019 9:09 am Reply with quote
Agent355 wrote:

Talking about race, is anyone going to mention that the one named Iraqi character we meet in the first episode of Lord El-Melloi II’s Case Files is the bad guy? Because that made me even more uncomfortable than the pimp guy in Cop Craft. Waver’s just going to conflict ridden Middle Eastern countries, meeting evil locals (the only Iraqi student at British Magic School that we meet is a greedy, murderous kidnapper! JK Rowling deals with minority student characters better than that...) and blowing up priceless artifacts? WTF?!

Evil magus is not minority in this franchise, though? Majority, even. Especially the murderous and greedy type. The non-magi ones weren't portrayed as bad people.
maximilianjenus

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2019 10:16 am Reply with quote
magi are not exactly bad people ., they just have green-orange morals as opossed to the black-white morals or normal people.

Quote:
The production team involved was some cause for concern, as the director's previous lead outing was the woeful Big Order

Well, this is pretty unfair, I ahve read the big order manga and there's nothign the anime director could do to fix that mess besides ignoring/changing source material .
SHD

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2019 10:41 am Reply with quote
So... BEM hasn't even been reviewed yet but the survey is already closed. You're not even giving the poor show a chance. I wonder why - people keep complaining about the lack of unformulaic, interesting original anime, and yet when you have one (regardless of it not really being "original") it's like ANN is going out of its way to give it any coverage. So disappointed.
Key

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2019 11:25 am Reply with quote
SHD wrote:
So... BEM hasn't even been reviewed yet but the survey is already closed. You're not even giving the poor show a chance. I wonder why - people keep complaining about the lack of unformulaic, interesting original anime, and yet when you have one (regardless of it not really being "original") it's like ANN is going out of its way to give it any coverage. So disappointed.

Would point out that BEM debuted less than 24 hours ago, while the poll has been open since, what, Friday? Zac and Jacob have said numerous times in the past that which titles are and aren't going to make the cut usually firms up early in the voting process, so it's unlikely that BEM's reviews not getting posted yesterday affected the voting much.

Besides, we have straggler titles like this one which debut after the poll goes up every season. This usually doesn't hurt their chances to get voted in.

EDIT: On an unrelated note, after watching the second episode of Cop Craft, I am being distinctly reminded of some other anime series I've seen which has a grizzled cop paired with an otherworld female partner, and I think she may have also been petite and had an attitude similar to Tirana's, but I can't place the title. Any ideas?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
SHD

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2019 12:13 pm Reply with quote
Key wrote:
SHD wrote:

Would point out that BEM debuted less than 24 hours ago, while the poll has been open since, what, Friday? Zac and Jacob have said numerous times in the past that which titles are and aren't going to make the cut usually firms up early in the voting process, so it's unlikely that BEM's reviews not getting posted yesterday affected the voting much.

Besides, we have straggler titles like this one which debut after the poll goes up every season. This usually doesn't hurt their chances to get voted in.

Why can't the poll be open until all series have released their first episodes, though? The poll has been open since what, Friday, indeed - only Friday. And in US time it's barely even Monday, anyway. Considering that 1. the show is one of those that might deserve the attention that being featured at a large and popular website like ANN means, and 2. especially because it's not one of the hyped ones so a lot of people who might find it interesting won't know about it without ANN's review, I do find it pretty disappointing that ANN doesn't give it this chance.

Key wrote:
EDIT: On an unrelated note, after watching the second episode of Cop Craft, I am being distinctly reminded of some other anime series I've seen which has a grizzled cop paired with an otherworld female partner, and I think she may have also been petite and had an attitude similar to Tirana's, but I can't place the title. Any ideas?

Gonzo's Solty Rei, most likely. That was a pretty meh show, too.
Nordhmmer

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2019 2:19 pm Reply with quote
SHD wrote:

Key wrote:

SoltyRei could be what 'he's thinking of but...Roy is a bounty hunter and Solty is more of a good daughter type.

Maybe Armitage III ?

Last edited by Nordhmmer on Mon Jul 15, 2019 2:29 pm; edited 1 time in total
SHD

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2019 2:28 pm Reply with quote
Nordhmmer wrote:
SHD wrote:

Key wrote:

SoltyRei could be what 'he's thinking of but...Roy is a bounty hunter and Solty is more of a good daughter type.

Could be, now that you mention... I don't remember the show too well, but wasn't there another girl? (Actually, weren't there a whole lot of girls, with the Nakata Jouji character as the only dude? Very Happy)

Anyway, re: BEM, Rebecca's review has me scratching my head (as usual, I guess?):
Quote:
She says that this is lacking in one very important thing that makes the other show work: something to say. Not that all stories need to have symbolism or some great overarching message, but that's what helps to set Kitaro above the pack, and BEM's first episode seems more like it's just interested in being dark and edgy.

But... the show stated its theme at least three times. It's about monsters who want to become humans, facing humans who are willingly giving up their humanity. It's not just the actual water monster, it's the corrupt police officer as well, and I guess this is where Sonia comes in with her strict adherence to her principles. It's not Tolstoy or anything, but I think as far as "something to say" it works pretty well, especially considering that it's only the first episode.

Last edited by SHD on Mon Jul 15, 2019 2:34 pm; edited 2 times in total
Chrono1000

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2019 2:32 pm Reply with quote
Key wrote:

I can see that for popular shows but I do wonder about the smaller shows that get released on the last day of the poll. BEM would have been a maybe even if the episode wasn't a week late but my guess is that it did lower the odds.

Key wrote:
Solty Rei, Armitage, or Hyper Police.

maximilianjenus wrote:
magi are not exactly bad people ., they just have green-orange morals as opossed to the black-white morals or normal people.

The magi are generally amoral in the Fate universe and while there are exceptions to that it is why Shirou and Waver were considered odd. That was also an issue in Fate/Apocrypha which is why spoiler[one of the magus gave up their magic crest.].
Nordhmmer

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2019 2:33 pm Reply with quote
[quote="SHD"]
Nordhmmer wrote:

Could be, now that you mention... I don't remember the show too well, but wasn't there another girl? (Actually, weren't there a whole lot of girls, with the Nakata Jouji character as the only dude? Very Happy)

There are a few .. two main being his real daughter and Solty.

Just edited my previous comment.....struck me it could be Armitage III.
Key

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2019 2:38 pm Reply with quote
Nordhmmer wrote:

Maybe Armitage III ?

Definitely not SR, and for the reason Nordhmmer mentions. (That's also one of the series that I've rewatched most frequently over the years.) I mentioned Armitage in my preview, so it's not that.

Damn, this one is going to bug me until I can remember it.
SHD

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2019 2:42 pm Reply with quote
Chrono1000 wrote:
I can see that for popular shows but I do wonder about the smaller shows that get released on the last day of the poll. BEM would have been a maybe even if the episode wasn't a week late but my guess is that it did lower the odds.

Exactly. In every season hyped shows get voted in regardless of when their first episode airs, but in case of smaller or non-hyped shows like BEM that a lot of people don't know what to expect from, I wouldn't be so sure that they get as many votes as they would if people had had a chance to sample them first. And while I know that these shows wouldn't get ANN a lot of clicks anyway, it would be nice to give them more publicity. The less publicity these shows get, the fewer of them get made, after all.

Chrono1000 wrote:
Key wrote:
Solty Rei, Armitage, or Hyper Police.
[/quote]
In Hyper Police all of them are "otherworld" though, being beast people... But if it is not Solty Rei it could be perhaps those background character duo from Kiddy Grade? (holy crap, why do I remember these shows?)
Princess_Irene
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2019 3:09 pm Reply with quote
SHD wrote:

But... the show stated its theme at least three times. It's about monsters who want to become humans, facing humans who are willingly giving up their humanity. It's not just the actual water monster, it's the corrupt police officer as well, and I guess this is where Sonia comes in with her strict adherence to her principles. It's not Tolstoy or anything, but I think as far as "something to say" it works pretty well, especially considering that it's only the first episode.

That's more a premise than a theme, as I see it. If it goes into why a human would want to give up their humanity (beyond "I like hurting people") or why Bem and Co. want to become human, that would be more in line with what I was talking about and the sort of material GeGeGe no Kitaro covers.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 18 of 20