• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
So, Who Else is Looking Forward to Shinkai's New Work?

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Lord Kefka

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2007 9:36 am Reply with quote
"5 Centimeters per Second" - "subtitled "a chain of short stories about their distance." is an upcoming animated feature film by Makoto Shinkai, scheduled to air as early as Spring 2007. The film will consist of three segments: Ōkashō (桜花抄), Cosmonaut (コスモナウト), and Byōsoku 5 Centimetre (秒速5センチメートル), totaling about an hour of runtime. As in Shinkai's previous works, Tenmon composes for this film's soundtrack."

For as big of a fan of Shinkai as I am, I really can't wait for this thing to come out. I mean, yeah, there is also Paprika by Satoshi... but it seems there is something about Shinkai that I like and find in his works...hmmm... maybe every single thing that he created has ended up on my top something in a certain catagory.

I really hope this becomes something in the area being as a masterpiece as "She and Her Cat". Plus the music is by Tenmon so WOOT~~!! This is probably going to be the biggest thing for me like it was for Beyond the Cloud.
the_silent_child

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2007 8:22 am Reply with quote
apparently not to much. no one is responding to this thread.
dormcat
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2007 8:52 am Reply with quote
the_silent_child wrote:
apparently not to much. no one is responding to this thread.

No. The problem is, other than saying "ME TOO!!!", what else can you write or expect under such a subject? And you should know that ANN does not welcome "me too" threads.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
the_silent_child

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2007 8:58 am Reply with quote
ME TOO!!! LOL
dormcat
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2007 9:02 am Reply with quote
the_silent_child wrote:
ME TOO!!! LOL

I think it's about time for you to behave just like your screen name.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
Otaku0013

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2007 9:16 am Reply with quote
I hope someone will license the movie soon, I don't want to wait too long for this movie. I really loved Shinkai's other films, The Place Promised in Our Early Days and Voices of a Distant Star.
Keonyn
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2007 9:27 am Reply with quote
Dormcat's right, and here's the specific rule that applies here in case you need a reminder:

Quote:
3) Discussions should carry some measure of intelligence to them. Consider if what you are writing is relevant or important to others. If it does not contribute to the discussion, do not post it. Please post detailed answers to questions, lists and one-liners do not contribute.

If you have nothing relevant to say on the topic then just don't bother saying anything. I removed your other comments because they were even more unnecessary, if you want to add something to the discussion then feel free to do so, but if you just want to toss out a little one liner that you think is funny then find someplace else to do it.

There's some potential for discussion here so I'm not going to close this topic at this point, but if it does just end up being a run of "me too" replies or pointless sarcastic one-liners then it's going to be locked.

Now for the topic at hand I can honestly say I'm looking forward to it. I loved The Place Promised in our Early Days, he did an amazing job on character development and really got the audience to care about the characters on an emotional level. It was beautifully animated on top of that with an amazing and fitting score that only added to it. The only real problem is it got a little slow at times, I usually enjoy slower paced titles but it managed to even get a tad slow even for me.

Now on the other side I'm actually not much of a fan of Voices of a Distant Star. I liked the premise but it just didn't draw me in. I think it was just to short for me and due to that I just didn't get the development required to care for the characters as much. It's still a decent anime and it was a great showcase of his talents, I just couldn't get in to it as much.

Now 5 Centimeters per Second does sound like an interesting film, but I'm not to sure about the fact it's a compilation. That pretty much means it's likely going to be a few shorts again and I don't think the fact Voices was so short worked in its favor. There's no doubt Shinkai is talented, but since I found Voices to short to work and Place Promised a bit to drawn out at times it does seem, to me at least, that he isn't the best at managing time and pacing. Now here he has three titles squeezed in to 1 hour again so that concerns me somewhat, but due to his talent I'm still looking forward to seeing what he can produce.

edit: I typed Different instead of Distant in Voices' name. Corrected.

Last edited by Keonyn on Mon Jan 22, 2007 11:20 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
the_silent_child

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2007 9:58 am Reply with quote
Keonyn wrote:
Dormcat's right, and here's the specific rule that applies here in case you need a reminder:

Quote:
3) Discussions should carry some measure of intelligence to them. Consider if what you are writing is relevant or important to others. If it does not contribute to the discussion, do not post it. Please post detailed answers to questions, lists and one-liners do not contribute.

If you have nothing relevant to say on the topic then just don't bother saying anything. I removed your other comments because they were even more unnecessary, if you want to add something to the discussion then feel free to do so, but if you just want to toss out a little one liner that you think is funny then find someplace else to do it.

There's some potential for discussion here so I'm not going to close this topic at this point, but if it does just end up being a run of "me too" replies or pointless sarcastic one-liners then it's going to be locked.

Now for the topic at hand I can honestly say I'm looking forward to it. I loved The Place Promised in our Early Days, he did an amazing job on character development and really got the audience to care about the characters on an emotional level. It was beautifully animated on top of that with an amazing and fitting score that only added to it. The only real problem is it got a little slow at times, I usually enjoy slower paced titles but it managed to even get a tad slow even for me.

Now on the other side I'm actually not much of a fan of Voices of a Different Star. I liked the premise but it just didn't draw me in. I think it was just to short for me and due to that I just didn't get the development required to care for the characters as much. It's still a decent anime and it was a great showcase of his talents, I just couldn't get in to it as much.

Now 5 Centimeters per Second does sound like an interesting film, but I'm not to sure about the fact it's a compilation. That pretty much means it's likely going to be a few shorts again and I don't think the fact Voices was so short worked in its favor. There's no doubt Shinkai is talented, but since I found Voices to short to work and Place Promised a bit to drawn out at times it does seem, to me at least, that he isn't the best at managing time and pacing. Now here he has three titles squeezed in to 1 hour again so that concerns me somewhat, but due to his talent I'm still looking forward to seeing what he can produce.

You know... Your right. In fact Keonyn you inspired me to revisit this topic as a fan myself. Also to see that a few fans responded to this neer dead post makes me proud to bring it back to life even if was by one liners. I have as well taken a look at the trailer where you can download it here http://5cm.yahoo.co.jp/teaser/index.html It is worth the download instead of seeing it off of youtube because the video quality will tarnish such great work. Byōsoku 5 Centimetre looks gorgeous. As a fan of his pervious work withThe Place Promised in Our Early Days I am looking forward to this masterpiece. None less can be expected.
dormcat
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2007 10:59 am Reply with quote
Update: at exactly two hours ago (22:59 Japan Time, 13:59 GMT) the staff of 5cm had announced the movie was finally completed and ready to be premiered.

Methinks this news is front page worthy.
selenta
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2007 1:22 pm Reply with quote
As anyone who has heard me speak on this subject knows, I'm a huge huge huge fan of Shinkai. I've seen quite a bit of stuff at this point, but when I watched Voices for the first time, the only thing I could think of was: "Wow... who the heck made this?!" which was a first for me since Band of Brothers.

Shinkai is not the best director out there to be sure, he has tons of flaws: the character designs could be better (though I like them as is... they could be better me thinks), his pacing is rather bad in Places Promised, he just seems to be generally weak on most levels as a director. However, the one thing he has, is artistic vision. His stuff looks gorgeous, and not just visually (though I think anyone would be hard pressed to find skies that looks better than his). The atmosphere of his works absolutely astounds me, they have a moody sort of melancholic surrealism that just leaves me in awe every time I see something he does.

Some things, like Bleach, I enjoy for the near-mindless action, some things, like Ouran, for the comedy, but I love Shinkai for his ability to make ordinary life feel like fantasy.

Obviously then, I'm looking forward to 5cm. I'm not a fan (at all) of the music in the second trailer, but from what I can tell so far from the trailers, 5cm looks to preserve everything I love about his works. That, and with his experience (learn more from a single failure than a thousand successes right? Anime smallmouth + sweatdrop ) with Promised Places, leaves me absolute dying for his next piece.

I wasn't thrilled when I learned it would be three short stories, but I won't pass any judgement on it yet. I assume that each will build on the feelings of the prior and build up to something greater and greater, I suspect the three stories will be seperate, but connected.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
dormcat
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2007 1:55 pm Reply with quote
selenta wrote:
His stuff looks gorgeous, and not just visually (though I think anyone would be hard pressed to find skies that looks better than his). The atmosphere of his works absolutely astounds me, they have a moody sort of melancholic surrealism that just leaves me in awe every time I see something he does.

Have you watched the opening animation he made for ef - a fairy tale of the two, together with background music composed by Tenmon? Although some elements of the OP was kind of recycled (top floor of school building, railway station, small town with stone roads), it never bores me out.

Unfortunately, according to a friend of mine, the game sucks.

selenta wrote:
Obviously then, I'm looking forward to 5cm. I'm not a fan (at all) of the music in the second trailer, but from what I can tell so far from the trailers, 5cm looks to preserve everything I love about his works.

Ahh, same here, for I couldn't stand that song either. However, Shinkai picked that song (a rather old one, from 1997) himself because of "[a song] which has been heard of by everyone living in this modern era universally (誰もが知っていて、現代を生きる人々にとって普遍性のある楽曲)," a clear sing that he wants to cut into the mainstream market instead of otaku worshiping his CG skills.
coldfusion5050

PostPosted: Sun Feb 04, 2007 2:34 pm Reply with quote
dormcat wrote:
Update: at exactly two hours ago (22:59 Japan Time, 13:59 GMT) the staff of 5cm had announced the movie was finally completed and ready to be premiered.

Methinks this news is front page worthy.

Was there one? If so, I missed it. It really makes me sad when college prevents me from being able to read the news regularly or the first one to present such news Crying or Very sad

Anyway, the next day on the official blog, they annouced it would be released in March.

And in response to selenta, I believe your comment of Shinkai's " melancholic surrealism [ just] leaves me in awe every time I see something he does." That is probably the most apt statement concerning a majority of my feelings toward Shinkai's work as well. Although, I like the pacing of Beyond the Clouds (The Promised Place from Our Early Days) more tha most, apparently.
Tasuka

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2007 5:07 am Reply with quote
I know this is reviving a dead thread but I just thought I'd post a link to some
of the information I've put on livejournal from the Tokyo premier of this movie.

There's a little bit about what Shinkai and the other staff said at the screenings
and then a little bit of rant about what i thought about the film. Since there wasn't
much information on the net in English about this movie I just thought some
fans might be interested!

http://velaciela.livejournal.com/
Clodus

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2007 11:13 pm Reply with quote
i have never seen one of shinkai's work but after watching this i have the same reaction as selena who the heck made this?! even though i have to admit im somewhat ignorant on creators. i did some searching and found this month old thread.

although i only saw the first segment so far, im already hooked! i have to say the visuals are personally the best I've seen. the scenery of everyday things, falling snow, the starry sky, inanimate objects, and surroundings are so very captivating. the words are filled with thought and moves me with every breath. the nostalgic feeling of somehow I've been there and felt that before thought crosses my mind constantly. the flow of the music goes great and matches the pace nicely.

the growing bond between them and how they were executed was magnificent. i especially liked spoiler[the kiss scene and the feelings conveyed after he gets off the train. ]although there was a point in time i had no idea what they were talking about "spoiler[anomalcaris", "cambrian", "halucigenia", and "opabinia" during one of their childhood flashbacks. i did some digging and this site helps clear some things Here]
im anxiously waiting for the rest and i will definately check out Voices of a Distant Star and The Place Promised in our Early Days because I've avoided them for a while now and seen their good ratings and director.
daedelus

PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2007 2:14 am Reply with quote
Shinkai is definitely one of my favorite directors. Both Voices of a Distant Star and The Place Promised in our Early Days are two of my all-time favorite movies. Immediately after viewing the latter, I decided then and there that if Shinkai directs it, I want to see it.

Naturally, when word first got out about Speed of 5 Centimeters Per Second, my first thought was "When is ADV (or any other company) going to license it and bring it over?" It won't be soon enough.

I plan to pose the question at the ADV panel at Anime Matsuri in Houston at the end of this month. I'll probably get their patented "Cannot confirm nor deny" response. But I can hope. Anime exclamation
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2