• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Enter The Anime

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
amon1981

PostPosted: Thu Aug 08, 2019 11:24 am Reply with quote
This did answer one question I had about Castlevania.

When I saw Castlevania to me it screamed inspired by 90's anime, especially Yoshiaki Kawajiri stuff, like Vampire Hunter D: Bloodlust. Its clear much like his other work, Adi Shankar had borrowed heavily from it. I also didn't like he was calling it anime which it isn't, just inspired by.

Also why go to Japan and talk about anime and not showcase somewhere as iconic as Akihabara?
Silver Kirin

PostPosted: Thu Aug 08, 2019 6:50 pm Reply with quote
Nothing against Netflix's "Original anime series", I actually enjoyed most of them, but this documentary sounds terrible. I think I'd rather enjoy reading Wikipedia's article about anime than this Laughing
JeffDM

PostPosted: Fri Aug 09, 2019 7:28 pm Reply with quote
TexZero wrote:
This was one of the single most disgustingly produced masturbatory advertisments i've seen.

Thank you! Even if the director claims otherwise, it's an ad for Netflix shows heavily disguised as a fluffy documentary. Only Netflix shows are seriously discussed at any length. Others are mentioned in interviews, but only in passing and in leading up to the show that Netflix owns.

Animegunclub wrote:
The fact that they still refuse to simulcast airing content "because we find fans prefer our binge watching structure" boggles my mind.

I didn't find anything that says this, but if they really claimed that, I suspect the real answer is largely that binge watching is their brand.

One answer I found, among other things, seems to suggest they want to have dub and sub available at the same time. Which could still be put on a slight delay with weekly updates but most Netflix shows are added in full sets/seasons/what have you.
Crispy45

PostPosted: Sat Aug 10, 2019 9:32 pm Reply with quote
JeffDM wrote:
Thank you! Even if the director claims otherwise, it's an ad for Netflix shows heavily disguised as a fluffy documentary. Only Netflix shows are seriously discussed at any length. Others are mentioned in interviews, but only in passing and in leading up to the show that Netflix owns.

That's how companies and websites have to survive now. Everyone is using ad-block, so you make the ads the content themselves. A common tactic is to do a Top 5 or Top 10 list of somethings, and conveniently most or all of the entries are related in some way, like all being owned by the same company, or on the same streaming platform, or something like that. Bonus points if they throw all subtlety out the window and after one of the entries they just flagrantly advertise "By the way, did you know the newest season of ___ is coming up on STREAMING SERVICE this Friday? Be sure to check it out!
DerekL1963
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sun Aug 11, 2019 10:20 am Reply with quote
This quote from the interview with the director says it all (Italicized emphasis mine):
Quote:
Were you nervous about how this would be received by anime fans?

We always knew that die-hard fans may not be as impressed with the doc, and might get upset because a lot of what we touch on is common knowledge to them and might feel basic. But since our target audience is those who are fresh to the genre, people who might have never seen it, we tried to make it simple and general while still keeping it entertaining.

Animegunclub wrote:
Netflix US truly doesn't have a good grasp on the market it's trying to appeal to, nor does it really have a good grasp on the content they wish to curate.

Oh, you're quite wrong on the first - Netflix has an excellent grasp on the market they're trying to appeal to. What folks in anime fandom/the anime community don't get is that said market isn't us. We're a niche market of weirdos. Netflix is trying to re-define anime in it's own image and appeal to it's existing broader base with safe (or as safe as possible) shows made in the Western mold or as close to the same as possible. (Which is also why they stubbornly stick to the full season/binge watch release schedule.)

Welcome to anime in the mainstream - Western corporate style. (Which is actually the only style.)
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3