• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The Fall 2019 Anime Preview Guide

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
zrnzle500

PostPosted: Thu Oct 03, 2019 3:12 pm Reply with quote
In his review of Kemono Michi, Nick Creamer wrote:
I am greatly appreciating the fact that we've apparently moved into the era of delightfully absurd isekai, as opposed to the grimly self-serious kind.

While I'm glad that Nick is enjoying this season's crop of isekai so far, I think he is again falling into his recent habit of looking at a couple isekai and declaring the particular qualities of those shows are endemic to the genre or that it is now the era of those qualities, even as other isekai even in the same season do not fit that category. When Didn't I Say to Make My Abilities Average comes out later this season, you could just as easily declare it the era of female led* isekai (and looking forward there are some more of those that have already been announced), having just as many this season as the delightfully absurd ones (though it could fit into both categories). Even beyond that second category, we also have today's High School Prodigies, which doesn't really fit into the delightfully absurd category or the female led category or the grimly self-serious category. I think it is high time some acknowledge that isekai is not monolithic and they aren't all going in the same direction. Different varieties of isekai exist alongside each other, ebbing and flowing with the seasons, branching off in different directions, within the definitions of the genre of course, but with some pushing at the edges of those definitions. I think just declaring it to be the era of *this one thing* is a very narrow and oversimplified view. Now you don't need to have a nuanced view of the genre to have an opinion about it, but I think if one wants to make these authoritative pronouncements about where the genre is going or what is characteristic of it, I think that necessitates a more nuanced and comprehensive look at the genre.

*more precisely female leads who are reborn as females, to differentiate them from Tanya
ThrowMeOut

PostPosted: Thu Oct 03, 2019 3:38 pm Reply with quote
zrnzle500 wrote:
ThrowMeOut wrote:
Man I hope in Oresuki it turns out the protagonist's best friend is in love with him. It would just complete the whole dang reverse love triangle.
I wasn't expecting much from this season, seeing all the bland isekai on the list, so I'm glad it started with a show that made me laugh my butt off.

Are you basing that off actually watching those isekai, or are you just basing that off their genre? You could say a lot of things about the ones that aired today but bland is not one of them, for at least 2 of them. I thought Kemono Michi and Cautious Hero were both very funny (though if I had to choose I would say Kemono Michi was funnier for me). While some reviewers weren't keen on it, I think Bookworm succeeds at what it was going for, like @kotomikun was saying. All of these shows and their protagonists deviate from the norms of the genre in some way or another, so I think you do yourself a disservice if you are just assuming they're bland because of their genre.

Nope, I keep an open mind towards all anime, Isekai included. Re:Zero is one of my all time favorite anime, and Konosuba is also pretty high up there. But isekai is the current trend anime is drowning in and the vast majority of it is soulless low-effort cash grabs. I've only seen Bookworm so far this season isekai-wise, and was pretty lukewarm on it. But maybe something else will grab me.
zrnzle500

PostPosted: Thu Oct 03, 2019 4:12 pm Reply with quote
ThrowMeOut wrote:
Nope, I keep an open mind towards all anime, Isekai included. Re:Zero is one of my all time favorite anime, and Konosuba is also pretty high up there. But isekai is the current trend anime is drowning in and the vast majority of it is soulless low-effort cash grabs. I've only seen Bookworm so far this season isekai-wise, and was pretty lukewarm on it. But maybe something else will grab me.

If Konosuba is high up there for you, I would check out Kemono Michi - which was created by same author - and Cautious Hero, which many reviewers and users compare to Konosuba.
ThrowMeOut

PostPosted: Thu Oct 03, 2019 4:17 pm Reply with quote
zrnzle500 wrote:

If Konosuba is high up there for you, I would check out Kemono Michi - which was created by same author - and Cautious Hero, which many reviewers and users compare to Konosuba.

Don't you worry I sit down watch at least the first episode of literally everything every season. It's a fun tradition my spouse and I do every season. Everything gets a chance.
kotomikun

PostPosted: Thu Oct 03, 2019 5:28 pm Reply with quote
The Azur Lane link on the hub page goes to the High School Prodigies reviews instead. It also lists only one reviewer for the latter, there's currently four.
Scytalle
Subscriber

PostPosted: Thu Oct 03, 2019 6:18 pm Reply with quote
Key

PostPosted: Thu Oct 03, 2019 7:41 pm Reply with quote
^
The link on the PG main page has been fixed.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Cloudywind

PostPosted: Thu Oct 03, 2019 7:56 pm Reply with quote
Regarding the Azur Lane reviews.
Quote:
Oddly enough, there's also no explicit mention of the story taking place during an alternate WWII, so if you're not up on your naval history, that's not immediately clear, making the use of the Iron Cross initially off-putting. Not that it's great to see it anyway...

Might I point out that the Iron Cross is still in use as the insignia of the modern German armed forces (the Bundeswehr), was their insignia the entire time when it was West Germany, and has no special association with WW2? This was a problem when Schwarzesmarken aired too, the historically-accurate insignia of West German forces were criticized for being "pseudo-Iron Crosses" and "Third Reich imagery".

TL;DR pls leave the poor Iron Cross alone, it's just a 19th century Prussian military logo that the very much not-WW2 not-warmongering democratic Germany still uses proudly today

Last edited by Cloudywind on Thu Oct 03, 2019 9:33 pm; edited 2 times in total
ANN_Lynzee
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Thu Oct 03, 2019 8:27 pm Reply with quote
Going to nip this in the bud right now. I'm leaving the part of your comment that doesn't insinuate over-sensitivity on the part of the reviewer who has the most right here to be sensitive on German military iconography.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Cloudywind

PostPosted: Thu Oct 03, 2019 8:38 pm Reply with quote
octopodpie wrote:
Going to nip this in the bud right now. I'm leaving the part of your comment that doesn't insinuate over-sensitivity on the part of the reviewer who has the most right here to be sensitive on German military iconography.

My apologies and sympathies to the particular reviewer in question, of course. I may not agree at all, but I do understand and empathise with the reason for the sentiments expressed.

Last edited by Cloudywind on Thu Oct 03, 2019 8:59 pm; edited 4 times in total
FilthyCasual

PostPosted: Thu Oct 03, 2019 8:40 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
But what about the fate of whomever was actually flying the plane?

Why were all of these geniuses from such diverse fields on the same plane together in the first place?
I haven't seen the episode so I'm surprised that this wasn't explained, but spoiler[the plane was on autopilot since the tech genius made it and they're all friends/acquaintances who met up for fun before getting isekai'd out of nowhere.]
ANN_Lynzee
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Thu Oct 03, 2019 8:52 pm Reply with quote
I appreciate that man, thanks.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Ruri Lee

PostPosted: Thu Oct 03, 2019 9:12 pm Reply with quote
I've read quite far into the novel of Asendence of Bookworm / Honzuki,
and my opinion is that...it probably won't translate too well into any kind of adaptation, and I can already see some changes taking place... (granted, this is already low budget xD)

Honzuki is a super high detail, nitty gritty world-development-centric kind of novel, and aside from some minor points that are questionable, overall I think the series is extremely well written and engaging, and isn't a souless otome isekai cash cow like the other rabble. It's one of the more popular ones for precisely its content.

If you're not feeling the anime, maybe try reading it instead.
If I had to compare it to something, it has Log Horizon's level of meticulous attention, especially in the way it talks about the world. It's low-fantasy magic.
TarsTarkas

PostPosted: Thu Oct 03, 2019 10:28 pm Reply with quote
I don't remember any mind reading happening in Bookworm. If there is indeed mind reading, then it is anime only.
zrnzle500

PostPosted: Thu Oct 03, 2019 10:56 pm Reply with quote
Even though Azur Lane...has a lot of influence from Kancolle, I don't begrudge those similarities, even beyond their switching the protagonists from Japan to the Allies. For one, the makers of Azur Lane actually let me play their game, unlike Kancolle, and on my phone even. If they won't let me play the original, I'll gladly play the knock-off, and I'll watch it too.

I wonder if we will be seeing any more of nations outside the main 4 - the others being Dragon Empery (China), Sardegna Empire (Italy), Iris Libre (Free France), Vichya Dominion (Vichy France), and Northern Parliament (Soviet Union) - aside from the brief cameo of Northern Parliament's Avrora. Actually, I wonder how much of the Iron Blood we will see, or if they will mainly focus on the Sakura Empire.

Beyond that, the biggest question I had that the show hasn't answered yet is how much they will get into the Siren aspects of the plot, which I think is where a fair amount of the character development in the game happens as well as its biggest mysteries. It's also where I think it does the most to differentiate itself from Kancolle story wise, at least as far as I saw in that anime. I'm especially interested to see if a certain character shows up.

Rebecca wrote:
Thought clearly went into each character design and how the pieces of the actual ships would be used, and if the show also falls into the trope of the “Americans” wearing star-spangled socks or bikini tops with cowboy hats, well, we should all be used to that by now. The decision to make the “Japanese” ship-girls nine-tailed foxes is a little more baffling. Also, don't get me started on the actual flying unicorn.

The Eagle Union ships designs are split between outfits inspired by various naval uniforms, those with a red, white, blue and/or star(s) motif with varying degrees of subtlety and fashion sense*, some more bikini tops, and others that are just totally different. Hornet is the only one that wears a cowboy hat IIRC.

The animal ears and/or tails are actually a common motif in the Sakura designs, along with horns. I was also surprised about Unicorn's flying unicorn, even as someone who has played the game. I was under the impression it was just a stuffed animal.

*Some examples of the red, white, blue and/or stars ones

Essex

Bataan
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 3 of 17