• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Ascendance of a Bookworm [2019-10-26]

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Leviathonlx

PostPosted: Sat Dec 21, 2019 3:34 am Reply with quote
meiam wrote:
mangamuscle wrote:
Panino Manino wrote:
Manipulative? How?
For me she just didn't acted dumb, forcibly dumb because the memories she has. Instead of "manipulative" I rather say that she acted with "tact".

That is what I would like to know. But I suppose no hater is reading this thread and probably neither is watching the anime, which would prove something I said in this forum (but not this thread) before, Iseaki's with male protagonists get a lot of haters and hate-watchers, but if the protagonist is female they don't (or said people keep their comments to themselves).

I don't really like Myne, but I'd never call her manipulative in a millions years (probably not smart enough to manipulate anyone honestly, Lutz is running circle around her, intellectually speaking, despite her being probably 3-4x his age). Although I like her a million time more than the average male isekai protagonist, but they could replace those by rock and I'd chalk it up as a huge improvement.

It's honestly alright to dislike Myne at the start of this story. The author even outright says that the Myne at the start of the novel is not a good person and that it's expected that you won't like her. It's what makes her later character development so good.
Panino Manino

PostPosted: Sat Dec 21, 2019 6:43 am Reply with quote
Leviathonlx wrote:

It's honestly alright to dislike Myne at the start of this story. The author even outright says that the Myne at the start of the novel is not a good person and that it's expected that you won't like her. It's what makes her later character development so good.

And what makes her "not a good person" at the start?
meiam

PostPosted: Sat Dec 21, 2019 10:16 am Reply with quote
Yeah, she never stroke me as an amoral person or anything like that (I'd need to read exactly what the author implied), she's just slow and has confusing up priority. Also dunno what character development we're talking about, but she hasn't gotten better in my eye as the season as progressed.
HannoX

PostPosted: Sat Dec 21, 2019 11:06 am Reply with quote
Hiroki not Takuya wrote:
I wonder if pound cake or some other "inventions" could be so valuable...

You forget that we live in a world where sweets are everywhere and even the poor can afford them once in a while. In Myne's world sweets would be rare. It's been mentioned that sugar is just becoming available for the wealthy and we've heard nothing about honey or some other sweetener being available. So yes, a sweets recipe could be valuable and the product could be sold at a relatively high price to the rich.

As for some of her other "inventions" like hair ornaments, if they don't already exist they can be valuable. If nothing else they can be status symbols showing the owner is up-to-date with the latest fashion and they can sell for a good price. With magic contracts ensuring only people who have the right conferred by the contract to make/sell the new invention those inventions can be real money makers.
Probablytomorrow

PostPosted: Sat Dec 21, 2019 1:53 pm Reply with quote
mangamuscle wrote:
Iseaki's with male protagonists get a lot of haters and hate-watchers, but if the protagonist is female they don't (or said people keep their comments to themselves).

Are there even enough female-led isekai shows to make this comparison? I'm curious now what this is in reference to.
Panino Manino

PostPosted: Sat Dec 21, 2019 2:42 pm Reply with quote
HannoX wrote:

As for some of her other "inventions" like hair ornaments, if they don't already exist they can be valuable. If nothing else they can be status symbols showing the owner is up-to-date with the latest fashion and they can sell for a good price. With magic contracts ensuring only people who have the right conferred by the contract to make/sell the new invention those inventions can be real money makers.

It's hard for me to believe, but "Crochet" that was the thing that Myne did there appears to be a very recent "invention".

"Knitted textiles survive from as early as the 11th century CE, but the first substantive evidence of crocheted fabric (with a Shepherds' hook) emerges in Europe during the 19th century."
Key

PostPosted: Sat Dec 21, 2019 4:15 pm Reply with quote
Probablytomorrow wrote:
mangamuscle wrote:
Iseaki's with male protagonists get a lot of haters and hate-watchers, but if the protagonist is female they don't (or said people keep their comments to themselves).

Are there even enough female-led isekai shows to make this comparison? I'm curious now what this is in reference to.

There aren't (yet) in the 2010s wave of isekai titles, and prior to this season they've been very sparse. This season's Ascendance and Didn't I Say to Make My Abilities Average could be the leading edge of a stream of them coming, however.

mangamuscle might be referring to earlier isekai titles, which much more commonly had either female leads or co-leads; see the likes of Fushigi Yugi, Magic Knight Rayearth, Vision of Escaflowne, The Twelve Kingdoms, and (to a lesser extent) Now and Then, Here and There. However, that wouldn't be a fair comparison, as in none of those cases are the heroines cast as self-insert characters, as is common in current isekai titles. (Especially not Sara from NTHT.)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
mangamuscle

PostPosted: Sat Dec 21, 2019 5:19 pm Reply with quote
Key wrote:
... referring to earlier isekai titles, which much more commonly had either female leads or co-leads; see the likes of Fushigi Yugi, Magic Knight Rayearth, Vision of Escaflowne, The Twelve Kingdoms, and (to a lesser extent) Now and Then, Here and There. However, that wouldn't be a fair comparison, as in none of those cases are the heroines cast as self-insert characters, as is common in current isekai titles. (Especially not Sara from NTHT.)

You forgot Inuyasha (and Please Save My Earth would be a reverse Isekai). I do not understand why Miaka (from Fushigi Yuugi) would not qualify as a self-insert character, she is by all metrics an average teenage girl which is suddenly sucked into another world where she develops a harem and against all odds becomes the protagonist of the story. Before someone says I must hate that series, I have the (chinese) DVD complete collection of Fushigi Yuugi, I liked the series, what I dislike is the trend of bashing series just because they are harem/isekai or whatever, this is anime, not politics, religion or sports where it is par for the course to trash the opposing team over and over, ad nausem. I keep hearing people say they would make the protagonist of said series different but have seen no one achieve it. What I have seen this season is a series which has your average loser sent to another world but the story is mixed just right and people like him! (I suppose we all know what series I am talking about, there aren't that many isekais each season).

Sorry for the rant m(_ _)m but had to get that out of my system. Well, I am looking forward to next week double episode and I am glad the series will continue. I suppose nowadays split course have become more common so they can cleanly axe said series if it has underwhelming performance (with streaming they can now for sure if literally nobody watched an episode). I keep thinking that the author wrote a dungeons & dragons story without dungeons & dragons, unlike Spice & Wolf which is an historic story with supernatural elements.
teferi

PostPosted: Sat Dec 21, 2019 5:31 pm Reply with quote
Key wrote:
Probablytomorrow wrote:
mangamuscle wrote:

There aren't (yet) in the 2010s wave of isekai titles, and prior to this season they've been very sparse. This season's Ascendance and Didn't I Say to Make My Abilities Average could be the leading edge of a stream of them coming, however.

mangamuscle might be referring to earlier isekai titles, which much more commonly had either female leads or co-leads; see the likes of Fushigi Yugi, Magic Knight Rayearth, Vision of Escaflowne, The Twelve Kingdoms, and (to a lesser extent) Now and Then, Here and There. However, that wouldn't be a fair comparison, as in none of those cases are the heroines cast as self-insert characters, as is common in current isekai titles. (Especially not Sara from NTHT.)

There are a boatload of otome game isekai light novels/manga with female protagonists. Bakarina is getting an anime adaptation next spring even.
Key

PostPosted: Sat Dec 21, 2019 6:24 pm Reply with quote
mangamuscle wrote:
You forgot Inuyasha (and Please Save My Earth would be a reverse Isekai). I do not understand why Miaka (from Fushigi Yuugi) would not qualify as a self-insert character, she is by all metrics an average teenage girl which is suddenly sucked into another world where she develops a harem and against all odds becomes the protagonist of the story.

Oh, geez, I can't believe I forgot Inuyasha, especially when I was just watching some of it on CR last night (for old time's sake, I guess). Technically that is actually a time travel story, but I'd still count it. (Though technically Kagome is only a co-protagonist with another character who wasn't transported.)

I never actually watched more than an episode or two of Fushigi Yugi in a convention viewing room, so I'll take your word on the heroine of that being a rare case of a self-insert isekai character prior to the recent wave. In that wave, one title which just occurred to me which has a female self-insert is 100 Sleeping Princes and the Kingdom of Dreams: The Animation, whose heroine doesn't even have a name.

teferi wrote:
There are a boatload of otome game isekai light novels/manga with female protagonists. Bakarina is getting an anime adaptation next spring even.

The biggest female-protagonist isekai title which should be arriving in anime form sometime in 2020 is arguably So I'm A Spider, So What? That it's not on the schedule yet despite having been announced several months ago concerns me a bit, but I am eager to see if they can translate the charm of the source novels into anime form.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Leviathonlx

PostPosted: Sat Dec 21, 2019 6:43 pm Reply with quote
Panino Manino wrote:
Leviathonlx wrote:

And what makes her "not a good person" at the start?

It's likely due to her initial selfishness and lack of empathy for others. The authors actual words are that Myne is disgusting at the start of the novel and that she is dis-likable until she starts to grow up.

https://ncode.syosetu.com/n4830bu/

Quote:
Main character is disgusting at the beginning. She can make you sick until she grows up a little.
Yuvelir

PostPosted: Sat Dec 21, 2019 6:50 pm Reply with quote
Whew. I'm more worried about a person that considers the tame level of egocentrism Myne had to be outright disgusting.
Panino Manino

PostPosted: Sat Dec 21, 2019 6:53 pm Reply with quote
How could she not be "selfish" in a situation like that? Suddenly you die and it's on another person body, in another world. Also, hard to have empathy for this new world and strange people immediately.
For me she behaved very naturally, and to say that she would "murder" someone is straight make up stuff against the character. You can't say this after seeing the girl going into woods to chop wood to her books from zero with that frail body.
Yuvelir

PostPosted: Sat Dec 21, 2019 7:05 pm Reply with quote
Panino Manino wrote:
How could she not be "selfish" in a situation like that? Suddenly you die and it's on another person body, in another world. Also, hard to have empathy for this new world and strange people immediately.
For me she behaved very naturally, and to say that she would "murder" someone is straight make up stuff against the character. You can't say this after seeing the girl going into woods to chop wood to her books from zero with that frail body.

Well, she WAS pretty selfish beyond survival because of her obsesion with books, tugging everyone around for her cause... but she really didn't do or say anything really hurtful or problematic, the worst we got was suggesting to break Turi's doll to make hairpins but she didn't go through with it.
Maybe the problem was that she could be disgustingly adorable?
Leviathonlx

PostPosted: Sat Dec 21, 2019 8:18 pm Reply with quote
Well milage can vary in how different people feel about a character. I myself was never bothered but I can see why some would be which I did see occur a bit in the earlier reddit threads. It may also have to do with her early behaviors not looking good to most Japanese people. Most these issues are gone by this point of the story where you have things like Myne finally seeing herself as Myne and accepting her family and the things she ends up doing at the Temple.

As for the reincarnation thing the author gave an answer to how that worked around when the anime started. This is something never actually stated in the novels but was somewhat hinted on in a side story in the first couple volumes involving her mother For those interested in how the reincarnation worked that didn't see the answer yet. spoiler[Urano was reincarnated into being Myne and her memories of being Urano were at the bottom of her soul. Normally the experiences of the new life would cover up the experiences from a past life and they'd never come to the surface but in Myne's case her sickness ate away at her self-conscious and being constantly sick in bed meant she never created new experiences. Due to this her memories of her past life as Urano were able to come to the surface and start to affect Myne.

Her mother comments that young Myne always wanted to sleep since in her dreams she was a healthy girl who could do and eat what she wanted and it's implied these dreams were her past life as Urano. She just wanted to sleep forever, never wake up and wanted to be the girl in her dreams. Young Myne resented her mother and family since she blamed them for not giving her a healthy body while Tuuli got to have a normal life having fun outside.

When she was sick and dying she reached towards the dreams she had as Urano instead of her family and basically threw out her old self and more or less forced herself to become Urano but in Myne's body. In the end even if she managed to get Urano's memories and personality she's still in Myne's sickly body, but her child brain can't exactly grasp that.]
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 11 of 26