• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The List - 5 Best Pokémon Anime of All Time

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Tue Dec 17, 2019 11:19 pm Reply with quote
j_plex wrote:

The worst? Sun and Moon. Where the first season was aimed at 11 year old Japanese boys, the last - or last 3 - were aimed apparently at a global audience of 2nd grade girls

.............You do know girls watched the original series too right in addition to the fact that while Pokemon has always eschewed towards kids it's also for all ages?
Hiroki not Takuya

PostPosted: Wed Dec 18, 2019 1:01 am Reply with quote
precita wrote:
...I still remember the early 2000's when people kept trying to claim the anime would get canceled after Misty left...Remember the days people used to try to divide the show up between when Misty was on it and when she wasn't? ... It's hard to believe there was once a time people thought the fandom wouldn't like any other main girl over Misty, or Misty was "too popular" to be replaced ....
Wow, does THIS take me back! I was on the Misty fan-club side and similarly when Brock "disappeared", seemed to me the show couldn't be the same because the chemistry of Ash/Misty/Brock was so strong. Actually, that's when I stopped watching and it seems like it wasn't the same but the show still went on. Now there's Detective Pikachu and I don't hear people trying to "catch 'em all" with 800+ pokemon. How things have changed...
precita

PostPosted: Wed Dec 18, 2019 11:30 am Reply with quote
j_plex wrote:

Black and White was the second best. The Brock thing had long gotten old, Team Rocket was actually competent - a threat at times even - and Iris was the best female sidekick (the most mature, the most ambitious with the best personal goals, not in love with Ash sparing us the "idiot shounen protagonist oblivious to love" for a stretch, the only one that actually "looks Japanese" which is a big deal in anime especially for female characters and - until Sun and Moon - the only one not used for fanservice).

Iris had a lot of potential but outside a few episodes she wasn’t utilized to it. She was a change of pace from other female leads but most of her character just resulted in just having the same interchangeable role as any other female lead, and the emphasis on dragons were only brought up in a few eps. The writers making Iris competent from the start also killed any chance for her to go through development because there was no place to take her. By the time BW ended it felt like she didn’t even have that much focus. I didn’t mind her but she felt like an interesting idea but not executed well.

Quote:
hird best? Difficult to identify. Between the Indigo League seasons where they toned Misty down and got rid of Brock, the ones with boring May (and even more boring Max) and XYZ's strange attempts to blatantly recycle stuff from earlier seasons I guess Diamond and Pearl was the best (long live Buneary and Angie).

I’m not sure what you find boring about May since she was one of the last few female companions with a diverse personality of being both outgoing, headstrong with a mix of girly and tomboyish traits. She also had funny banter among the cast and her Contest arc and interactions with her rivals are among the most popular of the series. I don’t know how much of the series you watched but I find this a strange take given she’s been popular for close to 20 years.

Quote:
The worst? Sun and Moon. Where the first season was aimed at 11 year old Japanese boys, the last - or last 3 - were aimed apparently at a global audience of 2nd grade girls. Nothing wrong with appealing to the Pretty Cure crowd, but at least Precure has a good bit of drama plus some interesting fights. (Especially the first season.) Sun and Moon had a weird contradiction: an attempt to limit the violence in the fights as much as possible (none of the 80s/90s action movie drag out knockdown stuff from the early seasons) and making the Pokemon so overpowered they could level cities (I guess blowing stuff up is less violent than kicks/punches/body-slams?).

sun/moon has a very large chunk of mature and adult oriented episodes dealing with death and mental trauma. And some good battles and character interactions. The cartoonish Meme faces are just there between all of that.
megazero

PostPosted: Thu Dec 26, 2019 10:24 am Reply with quote
Agree with the number 1 on the list, except that I can't still get over with the character design.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3