• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The Spring 2020 Anime Preview Guide

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Treecko Tempo

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2020 3:22 pm Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti wrote:

Also sad, but not surprised, that Kingdom 3 doesn't have anyone to watch and review it. First episode looked pretty good, animation wise and I'm happy to have it back. Things aren't looking so good for the Kingdom of Qin, though.
Im also glad its back and finally getting a season that looks good animated too. Season 2 was an improvement on season 1 for sure, but this season is a huge improvement on everything that came before.
Juno016

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2020 3:38 pm Reply with quote
meiam wrote:
I find that most show that are comedy/something else tend to abandon they're comedy element over time and become more and more invested in their plot, and right now I feel like there's literally 0 reason to care about the plot versus any number of generic fantasy show.

I think you'll probably be right about the plot focus later, but to be honest, CyGames' storytelling is pretty decent. Having played the game (though I'm far from finishing the game's first arc), it has me engaged. Without spoiling Re:Dive, the first game was essentially "MC and the girls at his school go to a fantasy world in their dreams every night. At the end, they must defeat the main antagonist or be stuck in the dreamland forever." Re:Dive is the result of them losing, wiping their memories of the real world. Later mysteries bring the real world back into focus in the plot, so it's mostly a mystery series.
dragon695

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2020 8:11 pm Reply with quote
Juno016 wrote:
meiam wrote:
I find that most show that are comedy/something else tend to abandon they're comedy element over time and become more and more invested in their plot, and right now I feel like there's literally 0 reason to care about the plot versus any number of generic fantasy show.

I think you'll probably be right about the plot focus later, but to be honest, CyGames' storytelling is pretty decent. Having played the game (though I'm far from finishing the game's first arc), it has me engaged. Without spoiling Re:Dive, the first game was essentially "MC and the girls at his school go to a fantasy world in their dreams every night. At the end, they must defeat the main antagonist or be stuck in the dreamland forever." Re:Dive is the result of them losing, wiping their memories of the real world. Later mysteries bring the real world back into focus in the plot, so it's mostly a mystery series.

Amusing as that is, I much prefer the epic Guin Saga if we are going to start talking protagonists with amnesia in a fantasy world that is anything but generic (bless kurimoto sensei).

A painful reminder that generic trash seems to get the white glove treatment, while epics like Guin Saga get rush jobs or like Berserk get whatever the hell it got.
harminia

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2020 11:36 pm Reply with quote
Juno016 wrote:
meiam wrote:

Ohh, is that the plot? I've played re:dive since it started but had no clue what the plot was lol. I knew it was a reboot of the previous game, but I assumed the plot for that one was that they were logging into a game and playing, rather than being in a dreamland. Interesting! Thank you for the context.
Wonder if the anime will have that plot line or if it'll stick more to gourmet guild shenanigans (I haven't watched the anime so I don't know how closely it followed the storyline of the game, including maid panty scene)
ErikaD.D

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2020 12:51 pm Reply with quote
I'm interested to watch "Wave, Listen To Me", "Sing "Yesterday" For Me" and "Arte". But are "Wave, Listen to Me", "Sing "Yesterday" For Me" and "Arte" generic and cliche? Just curious.
meiam

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2020 1:39 pm Reply with quote
ErikaD.D wrote:
I'm interested to watch "Wave, Listen To Me", "Sing "Yesterday" For Me" and "Arte". But are "Wave, Listen to Me", "Sing "Yesterday" For Me" and "Arte" generic and cliche? Just curious.

Arte yes, 100% the generic cliche story, the setting isn't very common but based on the first episode I doubt it'll go much in detail about the renaissance, so it'll remain as just a backdrop.

Wave isn't cliche, both in story and setting.

I'd say Yesterday is a cliche story if you include novel (not light novel) but it's fairly novel for an anime (very few anime are about post high school character).
all-tsun-and-no-dere
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2020 2:30 pm Reply with quote
meiam wrote:
ErikaD.D wrote:

Arte yes, 100% the generic cliche story, the setting isn't very common but based on the first episode I doubt it'll go much in detail about the renaissance, so it'll remain as just a backdrop.

I don't think it's fair to declare Arte cliche only one episode in. It's true that it hasn't totally set itself apart as a story of "one feisty young woman against the world" narrative, but I think there are signs it could be something special there. The part that grabs me most is that Arte isn't motivated solely by her love of art, but also out of a sense of anger and unfairness at her life's path being set for her.

So, maybe it won't be a completely original show, but if you like that kind of narrative, I think it's worth giving a chance.
meiam

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2020 2:33 pm Reply with quote
all-tsun-and-no-dere wrote:
meiam wrote:
ErikaD.D wrote:

I don't think it's fair to declare Arte cliche only one episode in. It's true that it hasn't totally set itself apart as a story of "one feisty young woman against the world" narrative, but I think there are signs it could be something special there. The part that grabs me most is that Arte isn't motivated solely by her love of art, but also out of a sense of anger and unfairness at her life's path being set for her.

I think if that wasn't true, it would only make it more original...
Juno016

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2020 4:03 pm Reply with quote
dragon695 wrote:

Amusing as that is, I much prefer the epic Guin Saga if we are going to start talking protagonists with amnesia in a fantasy world that is anything but generic (bless kurimoto sensei).

A painful reminder that generic trash seems to get the white glove treatment, while epics like Guin Saga get rush jobs or like Berserk get whatever the hell it got.

Guin Saga is a completely different beast (pun intended), so I very much dislike making comparisons, though I can't deny that Guin Saga is still one of my all time fantasy novel series--and I hardly disliked the anime, either. PriConne is more otaku-centric, so it definitely comes with a lot of expected tropes (for better or worse), but throwing it alongside a lot of other similar isekai/mobage, the game's plot (as far as I've gotten) is more on the higher quality end, far from "generic trash" like many of its peers. It's not gonna be the next Re:Zero of isekai, but if you like isekai at all, it's definitely one of the fun ones. For the record, though, the first episode of the anime was mostly a reinterpretation of the basic intro to the game and, frankly, was FAR more entertaining than the game's set of events. The MC, Yuuki, is one of those self-insert MCs you're meant to project onto in the game, but the anime made him interesting. I'm curious to see how he develops over the course of the story in the anime version.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2020 5:27 pm Reply with quote
Nick re Fugou Keiji wrote:
the opening even pays not-so-subtle homage to the famous “gun barrel sequence” you can find in every James Bond movie.

I guess. It looked more like the head of a Schick electric razor to me.

Quote:
for the premise of this series to be sustainable, Daisuke would indeed need to possess a net worth of approximately infinity dollars.

This episode cost him about 13 million dollars. If he's a billionaire, that's enough to fund more than 75 such capers. If he's a Bezos billionaire, which seems to be the case, he effectively has infinity dollars.

I liked the look of this, and would probably be on board for more if he were just a stylish rich guy playing cop and stuff, but the "money can buy anything" ethos of it all really is off-putting. Paying me double or quadruple the market value of something I loved would not mollify me after you destroyed that thing. The loss from setting fire to the Library of Alexandria can't be paid off in money. Neither can running over a mother and child, which he seemed quite prepared to do.

I guess this one depends on how much time I have to kill and how distasteful it becomes, since I suppose it would be rewarding if he changed his attitude over the course of the series (which probably won't happen).
DatRandomDude

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2020 9:25 pm Reply with quote
Man, this is hilarious to see Daisuke from Fugou Keiji trending on Twitter because the girls are getting thirsty and horny over him.
Dop.L

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2020 4:38 am Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti wrote:
Nick re Fugou Keiji wrote:
the opening even pays not-so-subtle homage to the famous “gun barrel sequence” you can find in every James Bond movie.

I guess. It looked more like the head of a Schick electric razor to me.

I was thinking electric razor too.

The problem I have with the millionaire detective is that Kambe is the kind of obnoxious over-privileged rich person who thinks they can use their wealth to bend the world to their will, and by the end of the show I was thinking "First against the wall when the revolution comes".

Maybe the story will be about him learning humility and that money can't fix everything.

The show's ridiculous over-the-top ethos does appeal to me, and the inept robbers were fun and I'd like to see them return some time, but the main character is the show's achilles heel.
Slowzhand

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2020 12:07 pm Reply with quote
The Millionaire Detective link takes you to the Appare-Ranman review

The Appare-Ranman link takes you to the Shadowverse review.
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2020 1:16 pm Reply with quote
Slowzhand wrote:
The Millionaire Detective link takes you to the Appare-Ranman review

The Appare-Ranman link takes you to the Shadowverse review.

All been fixed, thanks. Remember - this is published live. If you hit it right when it goes up, you may see some errors, but we appreciate it when you catch 'em.
Princess_Irene
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2020 1:53 pm Reply with quote
meiam wrote:

Having read the manga, that's not entirely true - some period-specific artistic techniques and social issues of the day do come up.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 8 of 10