• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Funimation Confirms Azur Lane Anime's Uncut BD Release With TV-14 Rating

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
strawberry-kun

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2020 7:03 pm Reply with quote
Cardcaptor Takato wrote:
It’s fine to be disappointed and critical and demand better from companies. But in the grand scheme of things is Azur Lane having one generic bathhouse episode with slightly extra fog where anime fans on social media were accusing Funimation being worse than 4Kids? All I’m asking is that yes anime fans can be critical but also have a sense of perspective about things. And for fans saying the stream is “free” you are still paying Funimation a monthly subscription fee so they are getting your money and streaming numbers even if you don’t buy the physical.

The accusations of Funimation being the new 4kids are hyperbole, but it’s always worth making a fuss when a product doesn’t meet consumer expectations. I do want that bath scene, but it’s more than that. It’s been already been explained that there’s animation fixes and such too. It’s way more than a little more fog by the way. The light beams and stuff is always an eyesore to look at. You may not care, but others clearly do.

Funimation hasn’t helped themselves either with aforementioned Tsugumomo release that they claimed was uncut. It wasn’t. That’s still in people’s minds too. That was clear false advertising.

Expectations for streaming and home video release are different. BigOnAnime covers that better than I can. I still buy Funimation releases. I don’t mind giving them money as long as the product is acceptable to me.

Last edited by strawberry-kun on Mon Sep 21, 2020 7:10 pm; edited 3 times in total
razisgosu

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2020 7:05 pm Reply with quote
This is one of the main reasons I've stopped buying Funimation home releases. If they claim they only received the TV edition, then its their job to get the upgraded version. We're not just talking about bath house scenes being uncensored here, numerous animation upgrades are usually done for the BD release as well to fix any animation issues or quality issues from the TV version. To use those for a physical copy is deplorable.

And then to try and wordsmith your way into claiming this will be an uncensored release is just downright shady.
Cardcaptor Takato

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2020 7:10 pm Reply with quote
Funimation has not released Azur Lane yet. If the release comes out and it’s the censored version then you criticize them all you want. Until the release comes out, fans have no way of knowing to call them liars or shady. And yet if the release turns out to be uncensored, will people hold Robert’s Anime Corner accountable?
strawberry-kun

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2020 7:18 pm Reply with quote
Cardcaptor Takato wrote:
Funimation has not released Azur Lane yet. If the release comes out and it’s the censored version then you criticize them all you want. Until the release comes out, fans have no way of knowing to call them liars or shady. And yet if the release turns out to be uncensored, will people hold Robert’s Anime Corner accountable?

Oh, RACS should be roasted if this was all a lie or misinformation. I’m not going to roast Funimation too hard until the release comes out, but if Funimation did get the broadcast version, they deserve to be absolutely lambasted for playing PR games and lying to us. They really made the whole thing so much worse if they lied.
Dark Absol

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2020 7:46 pm Reply with quote
This reminds me of Dance in the Vampire Bund anime incident years ago (which thankfully was uncensored version).
Richmyster84

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2020 8:00 pm Reply with quote
Cardcaptor Takato wrote:
While I understand fans being frustrated wanting the uncensored version is it really such a huge deal that fans were ok with watching the broadcast version streaming but not for buying the physical release? This isn’t like something where it alters the plot in any way or something like Terraformers where the censorship made the show unwatchable and it’s not like it’s being censored by Funimation themselves against the studio’s wishes.

Your theory would almost be reasonable if it weren't for people, such as myself, who wait to watch shows with censorship after they've been released on Blu-ray. I don't see a point in watching anything censored.

Cardcaptor Takato wrote:
It’s fine to be disappointed and critical and demand better from companies. But in the grand scheme of things is Azur Lane having one generic bathhouse episode with slightly extra fog where anime fans on social media were accusing Funimation being worse than 4Kids? All I’m asking is that yes anime fans can be critical but also have a sense of perspective about things. And for fans saying the stream is “free” you are still paying Funimation a monthly subscription fee so they are getting your money and streaming numbers even if you don’t buy the physical.

It's all about the slippery slope. Give Funimation an inch on what they don't "have to include" and they'll begin taking a mile of what they don't have to include and reference "well you didn't mind when we didn't include (x) content on (y) blu-ray." If the same problem didn't continue to happen people wouldn't be as upset as they are. Fans shouldn't have to monitor Funimation's business practices as much as they do and unfortunately Funimation only has itself to blame for their quality control problem.
TarsTarkas

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2020 8:53 pm Reply with quote
Cardcaptor Takato wrote:

If you are getting the TV broadcast and not the Japanese home video release, then that needs to be announced prior to pre-ordering. If you are getting a censored or an edited for content version, then that too needs to be proclaimed before pre-ordering. The days of being sneaky, lying, being deceiptful, or by omission are long gone. You are going to be called out for it, and lose the trust of the fan base........and lose sales.
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2020 8:58 pm Reply with quote
Cardcaptor Takato wrote:

I am willing to concede RAC was in the wrong here. If that is case, then shame on them! However, given Funi that has of doing similar things with some prev. titles, at the moment I am putting Funi in the wrong here.
getchman
Space Cowboy

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2020 9:05 pm Reply with quote
ok, so did Robert just foolishly assume that because they didn't crank the rating up to an M due to 5 min of bath time, which oddly turns into a message about body positivity, that it was censored?
Cardcaptor Takato

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2020 9:15 pm Reply with quote
TarsTarkas wrote:

If you are getting the TV broadcast and not the Japanese home video release, then that needs to be announced prior to pre-ordering. If you are getting a censored or an edited for content version, then that too needs to be proclaimed before pre-ordering. The days of being sneaky, lying, being deceiptful, or by omission are long gone. You are going to be called out for it, and lose the trust of the fan base........and lose sales.
Ok but again Funimation stated it's the uncensored version. Until the release comes out and it's shown to be the broadcast version, they aren't lying. And Funimation has the backing of a major corporation, Goku in the Macy's parade, and they make tons of money from major shonen shows like MHA and AOT. I doubt they're that concerned about losing a few sales over Azur Lane because of some social media conspiracy.
harminia

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2020 9:28 pm Reply with quote
I feel like people are forgetting that companies like Funimation can't control what masters they receive. If the Japanese company gives them censored masters, it's quite possible they can't do much about it. They can try and ask for the uncut, but this will mean a delay in getting the release out. Sometimes the Japanese company won't even give them uncut (or higher quality etc.) masters, so Funimation etc just has to deal.

Of course, promoting your release as uncut if you know it's censored is bad business practice but I don't think that has happened a lot.
And in this situation, it's Funi's word against some retailer with unconfirmed sources. I would rather wait and see what the actual release is like rather than speculate that Funi is purposefully trying to screw people over because of some conspiratorial conservative agenda.
Teraman

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2020 10:28 pm Reply with quote
Richmyster84 wrote:
It's all about the slippery slope. Give Funimation an inch on what they don't "have to include" and they'll begin taking a mile of what they don't have to include and reference "well you didn't mind when we didn't include (x) content on (y) blu-ray." If the same problem didn't continue to happen people wouldn't be as upset as they are. Fans shouldn't have to monitor Funimation's business practices as much as they do and unfortunately Funimation only has itself to blame for their quality control problem.

When exactly did this "continue to happen" because as far as I can tell people can only cite Tsugumomo as a time when a censored release was advertised as uncut, and that was just on the box and not an official PR statement.
Cardcaptor Takato

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2020 10:29 pm Reply with quote
getchman wrote:
ok, so did Robert just foolishly assume that because they didn't crank the rating up to an M due to 5 min of bath time, which oddly turns into a message about body positivity, that it was censored?
Thank you for saying this because I watched all of Azur Lane and I actually liked the show in spite of the animation production issues and outside of the bathhouse episode and some yuri fanservice with two of the antagonists, people are exaggerating how fanservice heavy the show actually was. There was much more in the way of CGDCT fluff in between fight scenes than constant T&A and the girls’ designs are not that much more scandalous than your average fanservice show. Outside of a few scenes there’s not much in this show that warrants giving it a TVMA rating. I remember back in the days of the 90s when Pioneer rated Tenchi Muyo 13+.
strawberry-kun

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2020 10:40 pm Reply with quote
Teraman wrote:

When exactly did this "continue to happen" because as far as I can tell people can only cite Tsugumomo as a time when a censored release was advertised as uncut, and that was just on the box and not an official PR statement.

They do have a small history. Besides Tsugumomo, Haganai Season 2 had a scene that was from the broadcast version. They also attempted to censor Dance In The Vampire Bund before fan backlash made them reconsider. I don’t believe these were ever advertised as uncut though. There’s the Interspecies Reviewers fiasco as well, but that was a admittedly a different situation. That’s not including things like Ben-to and Sankarea both of which were fixed. I particularly question Tsugumomo and Haganai given the content cut in both.
Bisuketto

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2020 11:23 pm Reply with quote
strawberry-kun wrote:
Teraman wrote:

They do have a small history. Besides Tsugumomo, Haganai Season 2 had a scene that was from the broadcast version. They also attempted to censor Dance In The Vampire Bund before fan backlash made them reconsider. I don’t believe these were ever advertised as uncut though. There’s the Interspecies Reviewers fiasco as well, but that was a admittedly a different situation. That’s not including things like Ben-to and Sankarea both of which were fixed. I particularly question Tsugumomo and Haganai given the content cut in both.

Aye, it is these prior events compounded by the horrible PR and communication from Funimation is why many have lost trust in anything Funi says. Fans have long memories, and even if they are few examples, they are Big ones.

Which is a shame, since they were a quality company.

When people have to second guess whether Funi is actually telling the truth... is a bad place to be in.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 2 of 6