• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The Best (And Worst) Anime of Summer 2020

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Animegomaniac

PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2020 5:36 pm Reply with quote
The only show that had me anticipating the next episode from start to finish was Diary of Our Days at the Breakwater and it's my top for the season. Beautiful character animation... Hina's facial expression alone should teach other anime how to express emotions... and a world that wants the audience to live in it. As someone who lives on the ocean and can relate to what the cast did, I guess I'm more than a little biased.

Runner Up: Uzaki Chan wants to Hang Out Me: Two people hang out and get to know one another The anime. The straights: Bewbs! Don't let the straights get to you, the show is fine.

Worst: SNAFU Climax. I haven't had a reaction to an anime's terrible ending since Gilgamesh... wait, I put "terrible" at the wrong point... I haven't had this terrible a reaction to an anime's terrible ending since Gilgamesh. Close enough.

When a show breaks its previous First Person perspective it maintained through two seasons because otherwise it didn't have the justification for the character actions but it's done in an underhanded uneven way for drama, you know they know something went wrong in the source material. I'm still working out what exactly made me physically ill about those two episodes. Hopefully, years of support groups will help me see through this. See this through. I mean what I say but I say what I mean.

spoiler[Season 1 Yui: "You know how I am."
Season 3 Hachiman, early: "Yes and it concerns me. Because I know it concerns me."
Season 3 Hachiman late: "But suddenly I don't care anymore. See you someday never."]

That's growth for you. Cancerous, malignant growth.
Zork

PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2020 6:45 pm Reply with quote
I really wanted to like Appare-Ranman because I wanted to see how the early American West was presented, but I dropped it after only 1 1/2 episodes. The main character and his total disregard for laws just because he felt like doing something really irritated me. Breaking into someone's work shop to examine a potential competitors car? I realize he's a mechanical genius and social misfit, but seriously?
suzuno29

PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2020 7:41 pm Reply with quote
Didn't any of the reviewers watch Gibiate ? I slogged through it til last week's episode, because I was somewhat interested in maybe finding out where the Gibia came from. I've dropped it like a hot potato despite only 1 episode left - after that BS, I just don't care. Give me God of High School any day ! I did really like Deca-dence.
Fluwm

PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2020 7:47 pm Reply with quote
Maybe I'm getting some mental overlap with 2019, but I'm not seeing any of the titles I really expected to here, from anyone. Weren't Fruits Basket, Chihayafuru, SNAFU and Railgun all this year?

And while I agree that Misfit of Demon Academy proved to be a surprisingly enjoyable romp, that it's even in the contending for best show of the year demonstrates 2020 to be a pretty weak year.

Never mind the fact that there are still more than three months left to go, with relatively high-profile titles like Yashahime, Danmachi, Dragon Quest, Golden Kamuy, IWGP, Jujutsu Kaisen, and Attack on Titan.
zrnzle500

PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2020 8:29 pm Reply with quote
Fluwm wrote:
Maybe I'm getting some mental overlap with 2019, but I'm not seeing any of the titles I really expected to here, from anyone. Weren't Fruits Basket, Chihayafuru, SNAFU and Railgun all this year?

And while I agree that Misfit of Demon Academy proved to be a surprisingly enjoyable romp, that it's even in the contending for best show of the year demonstrates 2020 to be a pretty weak year.

Never mind the fact that there are still more than three months left to go, with relatively high-profile titles like Yashahime, Danmachi, Dragon Quest, Golden Kamuy, IWGP, Jujutsu Kaisen, and Attack on Titan.

This article is the reviewers’ best of this season, not year. Fruits Basket, SNAFU, and Railgun did air this season though. Reviewers have their own preferences so they aren’t necessarily going to place them the same as you (and may not have seen some of them or their previous seasons)and may want to highlight different shows (Theron mentioned SNAFU and Fruits Basket positively in his section, but chose to highlight Demon King Academy). One reviewer did name Fruits Basket best of last season.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2020 9:12 pm Reply with quote
Since I'm not being paid to make a decision about a Best or Runner Up this is just what I liked this season.

The series I most just plain enjoyed watching was Misfit of Demon Academy. I liked its sense of humor and Anos' self-confident but respectful (to those who respect him) attitude. Sure, he was pulling abilities and magic attacks out of his ass in every episode, but you kind of expect that of a near god. In fact, he acted like I think a god should: offering help and guidance to those who believe in him and so self-assured that he doesn't need to threaten or punish non-believers just for their lack of belief. Smile

I binged on The Great Pretender, which was just so, so good. I didn't even mind that the first arc completely ripped off spoiler[the Wire con from The Sting.] They put their own spin on it, so it was still a delight to watch.

Though I was surprised it even got a second season, Muhyo to Rouji has been much better this season than last, and I'm hoping it will get to continue.

Decadence, Re:Zero and Fire Force were lots of fun this summer too, but they've gotten enough ink already, and I don't have anything to add.

Worst things were: of course Gibiate, which got more and more ludicrous as it went on until driving right off a cliff. Hopefully, everyone dies next episode spoiler[(well, I almost got my wish. The heroic music during the last battle was hilarious)]. God of HS wasn't so bad, but it really lost the thread about halfway through. Rental Girlfriend would've been fine if they'd just stuck to the two mains and not rolled up a harem all vying for this loser who is so loserific that he had to rent a girlfriend. Like what did they all suddenly see in him? It would've been even better if the series had just been about Umi-kun. Smile

Last edited by Gina Szanboti on Wed Sep 30, 2020 5:18 pm; edited 1 time in total
Hiroki not Takuya

PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2020 10:26 pm Reply with quote
I guess I'll add my votes for Re:Zero S2 and FireForce S2 as quite good. Gotta give No Guns Life S2 some love, SAO Alice S2 not so much...And then there was Peter Grill, which I dropped at Ep2 and apparently that was a good choice. I also like fanservice, but that was next-level cringe worthy.

Last edited by Hiroki not Takuya on Mon Sep 28, 2020 10:49 pm; edited 1 time in total
David60

PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2020 10:37 pm Reply with quote
Favorites: Re:Zero, Fruits Basket Season 2, A Certain Scientific Railgun T, Deca-Dence
Runner-up: Fire Force Season 2
Watched all of it: The Misfit of Demon King Academy, Rent-a-Girlfriend, Lapis Re:LiGHTs
Dropped: Super HxEros
Angel M Cazares

PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2020 11:12 pm Reply with quote
Best: Appare-Ranman! (technically a Spring show)
Runner-up: SNAFU Climax
Least good: Food Wars! 5
Heibi

PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2020 11:25 pm Reply with quote
I can't believe the ANN critics. They had a low hanging WORST anime they ALL could have crushed - Gibiate.

Compared to all other mentions they seem to have let their own biases let them ignore an atrocity. I watch 11 episodes of this series(Gibiate), mostly out of pity and to see if it might actually improve. However, the writing never improved, the characters never developed, plot twists were never explained, and suddenly "ALIENS!!!!" were introduced. How could you not rate this as the worst? On MAL it ranks as the 6th worst of ALL TIME TV anime series.

As for best SAO: Alicization
Runner ups: Railgun/Maou/Re: Zero/Apare Ranman
BTW - Ninja Collection is rated THE WORST ANIME of ALL TIME on MAL.
ThatGuyWhoLikesThings

PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2020 11:29 pm Reply with quote
For someone to have hated Gibiate, they would've had to watch Gibiate.

No one watched Gibiate.
Lenks

PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2020 12:05 am Reply with quote
My ex and I would watch God of High School during lunch and we dropped at episode 6. It tried pushing the plot more forward there, but even then it was an incoherent mess. I was almost done after spoiler[the two friends fought in the tournament, nearly killed the one character, and they completely glossed over it and became super friends.]

As for Gibiate, it was made in a completely wrong era. This should have been made as a pulp 80s OVA, tbh.
Princess_Irene
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2020 7:56 am Reply with quote
invalidname wrote:
Gotta say I’m surprised to see Re:Zero on here only once

I didn't have time to catch up before the deadline, since watching a different show for review and family stuff sort of ate my life. But I loved what I saw!
Saeryen

PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2020 2:36 pm Reply with quote
Sisyphusson66 wrote:
Best: Fruits Basket Season 2. I loved the first season of this when it aired, and I think I might actually like this season even more. When anime give more time to "side characters," or characters that may or may not be integral to the main plot, and the level of quality is still there, that is an indicator, for me, of a strong anime. Fruits Basket was able to balance the independence and stories of all of its constituent parts and not only give us new dynamics, but show that everything that was going on was important, no matter how insignificant. Fruits Basket Season 2 was everything I could want in an anime done almost perfectly. And while it is a testament to the strength of the source material, the production quality was always high and was able to set an atmosphere that made Mondays a lot better.

Oh, yes! This is exactly what's so awesome about Fruits Basket!

On another note, I'm so glad MLQC got some recognition. Too many good shoujos are overlooked, and seeing some praise for MLQC made me feel good inside.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Takkun4343

PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2020 2:53 pm Reply with quote
The only show I watched this season that aired this season was Appare-Ranman!, and even then it was because it was the only show I picked in spring that wound up delayed. For as much as I had an overhanging "eh" feeling above my tendency to enjoy 99% of what I watch, no matter how potentially offensive to certain parties, during its first thirteen episodes, I wound up really enjoying this show and all the tension it pulled out once it kicked into gear this season. I don't think I felt more suspense watching a week-to-week anime than spoiler[spending a whole week worrying that Gil was going to kill Sofia, only to spend another week worrying that Gil succeeded in killing Kosame, and ultimately experiencing relief in seeing both survive]. There's nothing for me to really dislike about this anime - though I still give Nick some blame for drawing my attention to TJ's noose necklace - and as of this writing, this show is easily "top 3 of the year" material in my strangely selective book.

The only series I had considered watching this season was The God of High School, but after seeing MAPPA's questionable decision to visually design every character as if they had a stuffy nose (and that's putting it conservatively!), I tuned out really quick. Judging from the fact that it scored three "worst of the season" designations, I feel I made the right choice.

Oh, and there's also Fire Force 2, but I'm waiting 'til Toonami gets around to premiering it to give it attention. Expect my thoughts on what they've aired by the end of 2020 in the "best/worst of the year" discussion thread.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3