• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Forum Tournament - Nominations - Voting Period

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Contests and Games
View previous topic :: View next topic  
yuna49

PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2020 11:33 am Reply with quote
I haven't followed this thread closely and decided to wait until voting rolled around. Is there a web form we can use? I looked over the past few pages and didn't see an obvious link to one. Do we have to follow Errinundra's method of listing our choices here? If so where is the complete list of nominees?

I looked at the home page briefly and didn't see any mention of this tournament either, but then I'm 71, and my eyesight is going.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2020 11:54 am Reply with quote
I am super pressed for time these days so I won't be going through the selections and making any +1s or -1s. By next week, I'll be able to take the time to vote when the brackets come out.
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2020 9:47 pm Reply with quote
yuna49 wrote:
I haven't followed this thread closely and decided to wait until voting rolled around. Is there a web form we can use? I looked over the past few pages and didn't see an obvious link to one. Do we have to follow Errinundra's method of listing our choices here? If so where is the complete list of nominees?

I looked at the home page briefly and didn't see any mention of this tournament either, but then I'm 71, and my eyesight is going.

There is no web form, sorry. Back on page 1 my second post has the list of all the nominated characters (alphabetical by series name) and their current vote status.
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2020 9:51 pm Reply with quote
AkumaChef wrote:

Perhaps in future tournaments there could be a rule that you're allowed to vote for exactly one of your own nominations? Or perhaps some ratio, like for every 10 nominations you make you get 1 vote? Just an idea to toss out for discussion. I think that could allow people making a lot of nominations to have a little voting input without it devolving into something silly like nominating 30 characters and giving them all +1.

A valid idea. In years past the forum itself was more active, so this was not a necessity at that point. Times change however. Given that I will amend the rules and say that you can give a single +1 or -1 vote to ANY character you want. Including your own. The same rule will still apply that only 1 vote per character per person. That should allow for a bit more flexibility. If you've voted already on characters please just make a new post with any new votes you have, either upvoting or down voting.

Edit: With that in mind I gave a bunch of mine a +1 bump. Though not all of them. Some I am leaving alone and seeing where the chips fall.
Hikari14

PostPosted: Tue Dec 15, 2020 4:12 am Reply with quote
In that case, I give + 1 to the following:

Claire Stanfield, Chane Laforet, Fisher Tiger, Jacuzzi Splot, Reiner Braun and Ryuko Matoi.
yuna49

PostPosted: Tue Dec 15, 2020 12:53 pm Reply with quote
Votes for:

Claire Stanfield, Balalaika, Teresa, Matoi Ryūko, Wolfgang Grimmer, Balsa, and Eboshi-sama

Surprised Kiryūin Satsuki didn't make the list or, perhaps even more appropriately, Kiryūin Ragyō. Or Johan from Monster though Grimmer is a great choice. I didn't see many villains on the list of nominees.

AkumaChef

PostPosted: Tue Dec 15, 2020 1:25 pm Reply with quote
First, I think there may be some uncounted votes. For example, Errinundra's post on page 7 contains a +1 for Kazuki Fuse (Jin-Roh) yet Psycho's running tally on page 1 does not show this vote.

I'll allow myself 5 votes for my own nominations. +1 for:
Dark Schneider (Bastard), Leon McNichol (Bubblegum Crisis), Gabimaru Rikiya (Cyber City Oedo), Sergei aka D (Key the Metal Idol), Busujima (Psycho Diver)

I'm really enjoying the tournament even though it hasn't started yet. I'm familiar with most of the characters nominated but not all, so it's a great excuse to go check out some shows that I have not seen before.
Hikari14

PostPosted: Tue Dec 15, 2020 1:47 pm Reply with quote
yuna49 wrote:
I didn't see many villains on the list of nominees.

Well, Reiner could be called a villain. Cool
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Tue Dec 15, 2020 5:05 pm Reply with quote
I think that often the "badass" trope and role is more for the protagonists. The villains tend to take on the role of psychotic, powerful, cunning, etc more often than not. There are much fewer badass villains. I think part of it often people root for the badass. They want that character to "win" often. Having them be the villain would detract from not rooting for them as is typically expected of a villain. I think most of what would be considered badass villains tend to fall more into the anti-hero category than true villain. Or at least the entire cast is more morally neutral or grey so the "villain's" own nature gets muddled in with the rest. Hello Black Lagoon.
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Tue Dec 15, 2020 5:06 pm Reply with quote
AkumaChef wrote:
First, I think there may be some uncounted votes. For example, Errinundra's post on page 7 contains a +1 for Kazuki Fuse (Jin-Roh) yet Psycho's running tally on page 1 does not show this vote.

I'll allow myself 5 votes for my own nominations. +1 for:
Dark Schneider (Bastard), Leon McNichol (Bubblegum Crisis), Gabimaru Rikiya (Cyber City Oedo), Sergei aka D (Key the Metal Idol), Busujima (Psycho Diver)

I'm really enjoying the tournament even though it hasn't started yet. I'm familiar with most of the characters nominated but not all, so it's a great excuse to go check out some shows that I have not seen before.

I'll double check. I know Tony was adding in votes as well so one might've been missed in the crossfire so to speak. I have added my own upvotes simply to the list without actually listing them as well. Bad form on me. Any downvotes though I'll be sure to make clear.

I will add the new batch of votes in as well after this post.

Edit: So Fuse has a +1 vote already and unless I am missing another upvote errinundra's sinle upvote is the only one so far. So it would be accurate.
Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue Dec 15, 2020 5:23 pm Reply with quote
Psycho 101 wrote:
I'll double check. I know Tony was adding in votes as well so one might've been missed in the crossfire so to speak.

When I was adding votes, I only counted the posts that actually said "+1." I didn't count nominations as votes. With that said, I already added my votes where I said +1, myself. You don't have to count my nominations in the total.

Last edited by Tony K. on Tue Dec 15, 2020 5:50 pm; edited 1 time in total
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Tue Dec 15, 2020 5:26 pm Reply with quote
Should be fully updated now.
AkumaChef

PostPosted: Wed Dec 16, 2020 9:24 am Reply with quote
Psycho 101 wrote:

Edit: So Fuse has a +1 vote already and unless I am missing another upvote errinundra's sinle upvote is the only one so far. So it would be accurate.

It is not my intention to beat a dead horse here, but when I look at your long post in the first page of this topic summarizing the nominations and votes I do not see a +1 next to his name, and I'm fairly sure I am looking in the right place.
Beltane70

PostPosted: Wed Dec 16, 2020 5:22 pm Reply with quote
Here's my votes for the following characters for this tournament:

Deunan Knute +1
Levi Ackerman +1
Mikasa Ackerman +1
Alita +1
Priss Asagiri +1
Harlock +1
Ryo Saeba +1
Spike Spiegel +1
Kei +1
Shizuo Heiwajima +1
Kenshiro +1
Roy Mustang +1
Rory Mercury +1
Kamina +1
Isamu Dyson +1
Ozen the Immovable +1
Char Aznable +1
Jiraiya +1
Cobra +1
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Wed Dec 16, 2020 11:48 pm Reply with quote
AkumaChef wrote:
Psycho 101 wrote:

It is not my intention to beat a dead horse here, but when I look at your long post in the first page of this topic summarizing the nominations and votes I do not see a +1 next to his name, and I'm fairly sure I am looking in the right place.

I re-checked and you're right it's not there. Which is really odd because I could swear it was when I just recounted everything yesterday. All the other votes are accounted for. Think it's time I got my glasses checked. Confused Not beating a dead horse, just my eyes failing me. On my own spreadsheet I have the +1 vote next to him. Not sure where it got lost in translation. Thank you.

Adding your votes now Beltrane. Gonna refresh the damn list immediately and make sure they show up first before I leave the page.

I also added a +1 to Sylia Stingray & Izumi Curtis that I had not given them yet. Was waiting to see if anyone else would first.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Contests and Games All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 8 of 10