• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: That Time I Got Reincarnated as a Slime Season 2

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
TarsTarkas

PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2021 2:13 pm Reply with quote
JBAnime wrote:

First, how did Souei and the other spies notice the soldiers from Falmuth but not the magic devices used to create the outer barrier? Couldn't they have stopped that before-hand?

People can correct me if I am wrong, but that was probably due to the first barrier coming up, preventing anyone from leaving. The Falmuth 'otherworlders' were to sow chaos in the capital before the barriers came up, so that all eyes were looking inward, instead of outward. Probably a little bit of panic too, since it was the first time they have been cut off from Rimuru.

JBAnime wrote:
Second, on that same note, where was Treyni and the other dryads during all this? I don't remember seeing any of them after the first episode. I realize their priority is the forest, but they swore allegiance to Rimuru as well.

I think Treyni hangs out in the center of the forest, and she might have had the same problem that Rimuru had in teleporting back to the capital, except Rimuru had the sealed cave portal to go to.

JBAnime wrote:
Third, why was the Moderate Harlequin group featured in the OP, yet did not make an appearance at all?

Good question, they did feature prominently in the OP. But there was a scene of them, fooling that beast lord intospoiler[ becoming part of that huge flying monster.]

JBAnime wrote:
Finally, how much did Rimuru think through this demon lord plan? It's going to be difficult to convince Dwargon and Blumund to keep alliances with a nation ruled by a demon lord that just killed 20,000 humans, whether or not it was justified.

This world is not our world. Strength is rewarded, the weak die. Dwargon practically says that. Falmuth and the Church invaded, blitzkrieg style, hoping to present a fait accompli to the rest of the world. They failed and paid the price. Rimuru is still Rimuru in the eyes of the Dwarven King and to Blumund. spoiler[Both governments are concerned, but RImuru doesn't act like an evil demon lord. The concern is mainly on how powerful he is getting. But since he still acts like the same old Rimuru they know, they are mainly more exasperated at all the work they are going to have to do. But still looking forward to being in his orbit.]

JBAnime wrote:
Also, so much for visiting his students in Ingrassia. That conversation will be awkward. "Sensei, why did you kill 20,000 humans and become a demon lord?"

Perhaps it would, but I think they still would let him respond before judging him. And I think it would make a world of difference, if those generic 20,000 humans became 20,000 soldiers of the invading Church and Falmuth forces. I know many posters don't like that, but that is our conceit, not Rimuru's world. There is a big difference in killing invading soldiers and spoiler[laying waste to entire cities, like Veldora and Milim did.]

Shion might be cast as evil too, considering what she does to the Falmuth king.
Tuor_of_Gondolin

PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2021 3:36 pm Reply with quote
The Otherworlders were trying to create a "monsters attacked humans" situation to justify the van of the invasion force attacking the people of Tempest. The humans, fleeing frantically from the town, would then spread the word of how dangerous Tempest was... at least, those who survived to reach their homelands, as the Otherworders intended to slaughter a bunch of them while they were fleeing from Tempest.

The initial plan didn't work very well, and then the secondary plan failed because Rimuru teleported the Humans to the edge of their homeland, thus bypassing the intended attack. Also, the barrier keeps monsters in/out, not Humans, who can pass through it at will.
JBAnime

PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2021 12:12 am Reply with quote
TarsTarkas,
Thanks for the replies.
Still, a few thoughts:
First, I still find it odd that Soei and his group did not notice the magic devices. They noticed the soldiers who were still a far ways off. The people with the magic devices had to get in before that to activate them when they did. No one saw this at all?
Second, I can understand Treyni and the dryads not being to get in after the barrier came up. But, I didn't see them at all even after the barrier came down. Rimuru was asleep for three days after becoming a demon lord. Did they check in at all? Plus, between the Gelmud and the Orc Lord, Phobia and the resurrected monster and now Falmuth setting up a barrier on four separate sides, they seem to be less than effective protecting the forest than their reputation suggests.
Third, you're right that it's a different world when it comes to Dwargon and Blumund. But, those kids were from "our world". I guess it depends on how they find out. I'm sure Chloe, in particular, will hear him out, but that is still going to be hard to explain.
Finally, and I forgot to ask this before, no comments from the reviewer or anyone else about the danger-prone adventurers actually being a princess and her guards?! This has the potential for its own spin-off, depending on how long they have been doing this. Was this hinted at all in the LN or manga? Because I didn't see anything from the anime suggesting any of this.
Steel Angel

PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2021 9:06 pm Reply with quote
Unfortunately i disagree with the reviewer for the last few episodes, and here's why:

Based on the dialog in several of the reviews given after Rimaru mercilessly destroys the enemy (and prior due to the "plan" episode discussion), that the reviewer has never served, in a military capacity.

The above is by no means meant as slander, but the style and comments given, are easy to say when you have never watched your friends die in front of you in a war. If you've never walked in the shoes, it's easy to maintain the moral high road. It becomes a lot more gray when you have and are likely to keep loosing your own.

Personally, i find what Rimaru did was well with in his rights. Talking of spreading fear and confusion as he kills, in rapid succession, but was still far more merciful then his people received. I found it to be far more merciful than they deserved.

I think one thing of importance needs to be noted, for Rimuru and all who follow him, this is a war, make no mistake about that (granted this actually echos real life at times) even the fact that it becomes one sided.

The bottom line, no one thinks of themselves as the "bad guy" in war, regardless of which side you talk to. It was no different here, the one with power ended it swiftly and concisely with as few casualties, for their side, as they could. Find me one commander in ANY world army that wouldn't do the same. (reasons be damned)

Edit:
I also think it should be pointed out, soldiers surrendering and being allowed is something new in our "developed world" (hardly, we are still stage 0 when it comes to development, scientifically speaking). As a ruler he makes a decision, people are trying to question Rimaru about taking "chances" and letting them live. It's not so easy to say this is "right" when your family will be the one to suffer the consequences should you make the wrong choice. It's a burden of rulers, one which people judge but its easy to say when you have nothing at stake. What makes anyone think Rimaru has the inclination, resources or time to deal with an enemy in a "morally right" way? Killing beyond the 10k, this is the argument? An enemy that escapes will fight again.

POW 101, fight in every way possible, and do everything to escape with out hurting your own or by taking favors from the enemy when trying to accomplish this. Rimaru simply prevented a captured enemy today from becoming an enemy that can fight again tomorrow.

In the famous words of Sun Tzu, the most brilliant victory that one can achieve is by never having to fight at all. Sadly this is not always an option, and there are many nations that ignore Geneva Convention, even in our own world, much less a fantasy one with demons and magic.
Covnam

PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2021 5:11 pm Reply with quote
I've enjoyed the start of the new season. I definitely don't mind spending some time with characters as they talk and plot and so on. However, I do hope we start seeing some actual movement now. A fourth episode might be a bit much.

Quote:
The story that the human champion teamed up with the friendly monster-king-turned-Demon Lord to face down the ultimate evil dragon—and were able to negotiate peace—is the kind of lie the commoners will want to believe.

Agreed, which should help when any of the truth does come out. Especially if it's from the 3 survivors since that can be played off as them trying to save face.

Quote:
...So, is anyone gonna bother asking the Queen of the Fairies what she came to warn Rimuru about?

Right? I'm guessing since it isn't a focus it might just be about things that have already happened, so it's going to get played off as a joke, but you'd think Rimuru would be a bit more concerned. Then again, unless Milim is on her way, it's not like there's much to worry about considering everything that's happened Laughing

Quote:
The problem with Clayman's plan to get his own 10,000 man kill-streak is that he assumes no one will try to stop him—which is insane since he should know that Rimuru is out for blood.

I found this surprising. Isn't Clayman already a Demon Lord? Is he trying to level up to Demon Lord + or something?
Tuor_of_Gondolin

PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2021 5:34 pm Reply with quote
^ To put it simply, there are two flavors of Demon Lord: self-avowed and True. Some people *claim* to be Demon Lords, and as long as the other Demon Lords accept it, then that person is considered to be a Demon Lord. A *True* Demon Lord is someone that has been stated to be a Demon Lord by the Voice of the World. This is what Rimuru did, and what Clayman *wants* to do. He was being set up to bring this about, but then a certain slime went and Ruined Everything(tm.). This has made Clayman... annoyed, perhaps excessively so.
everydaygamer

PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2021 7:30 pm Reply with quote
I felt the end of the last season was just dumb. Just the way that Rimuru slaughtering 20, 000 people is supposed to be accepted as a great idea with no one questioning if this sudden leap in violence could have any possible consequence. No, we're just supposed to take it as an obviously great idea.

I don't care how justified he was in doing it he uses an ability that requires his enemies to have completely given up for it to work. But Apparently, I'm alone in hating this plot development.

So yeah I probably won't check out the rest of the show cause based on the review it apparently keeps getting dumber from here.
Cryten

PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2021 8:48 pm Reply with quote
everydaygamer wrote:
I felt the end of the last season was just dumb. Just the way that Rimuru slaughtering 20, 000 people is supposed to be accepted as a great idea with no one questioning if this sudden leap in violence could have any possible consequence. No, we're just supposed to take it as an obviously great idea.

I don't care how justified he was in doing it he uses an ability that requires his enemies to have completely given up for it to work. But Apparently, I'm alone in hating this plot development.

So yeah I probably won't check out the rest of the show cause based on the review it apparently keeps getting dumber from here.

It might be tiring to do but if you check tons of people in this thread had problems with it. Including the reviewer. So no, you where not the only person. (Though thinking about it now you might mean in the show, which I can agree with)

Personally I am finding myself far less into slime now. The veil of fun has been lifted for me. I know that he is gonna continue his happy friends club routine despite overtures of heavy violence and destruction his actions bring to his enemies. This series great hailed politics lacks the 99% of politics that makes those kind of shows interesting. Instead its just happy friends agreeing to be happy and oh we will have a 1 word trade deal because we are political now.

I am also a bit tired of everyone being subservient to Rimuru's ideas 100% of the time, not offering feedback, advice, correction or direction with dwargo being the obvious exception but even then Rimuru ends up speaking 98% of the ideas attributed to them. Or, god forbid, one of Rimuru's lieutenants having an idea of their own.
GhostD

PostPosted: Thu Jul 22, 2021 12:03 am Reply with quote
Cryten wrote:
Personally I am finding myself far less into slime now. The veil of fun has been lifted for me. I know that he is gonna continue his happy friends club routine despite overtures of heavy violence and destruction his actions bring to his enemies. This series great hailed politics lacks the 99% of politics that makes those kinds of shows interesting. Instead its just happy friends agreeing to be happy and oh we will have a 1 word trade deal because we are political now.

I am also a bit tired of everyone being subservient to Rimuru's ideas 100% of the time, not offering feedback, advice, correction or direction with dwargo being the obvious exception but even then Rimuru ends up speaking 98% of the ideas attributed to them. Or, god forbid, one of Rimuru's lieutenants having an idea of their own.

You have to consider that they actually treat him like a god or guardian deity on par with if not greater than Veldora himself.
Cryten

PostPosted: Thu Jul 22, 2021 12:07 am Reply with quote
GhostD wrote:
Cryten wrote:
Personally I am finding myself far less into slime now. The veil of fun has been lifted for me. I know that he is gonna continue his happy friends club routine despite overtures of heavy violence and destruction his actions bring to his enemies. This series great hailed politics lacks the 99% of politics that makes those kinds of shows interesting. Instead its just happy friends agreeing to be happy and oh we will have a 1 word trade deal because we are political now.

You have to consider that they actually treat him like a god or guardian deity on par with if not greater than Veldora himself.

You dont make gods your leaders, you diefy them. This series has never been about the hard questions. That is what makes makes overtures in that direction pretentious, because it has no intentions of actually following through with any detail. It will be back to happy friends and smack downs.

Overlord is a great example of doing that style right. Where they treat all his words as directives but they all do the details and ground level decisions unless the overlord is on the ground personally (which creates great hesitation on their part).

Last edited by Cryten on Thu Jul 22, 2021 12:11 am; edited 1 time in total
GhostD

PostPosted: Thu Jul 22, 2021 12:11 am Reply with quote
Cryten wrote:
You dont make gods your leaders, you diefy them. This series has never been about the hard questions. That is what makes makes overtures in that direction pretentious, because it has no intentions of actually following through with any detail. It will be back to happy friends and smack downs.

I wasn't being literal about the god part. What I meant is that for the people of Tempest and especially his inner circle, Rimuru can do no wrong. For them, he's absolutely brilliant if not perfect.
Cryten

PostPosted: Thu Jul 22, 2021 12:14 am Reply with quote
And you argue my initial point perfectly.
JaffaOrange

PostPosted: Thu Jul 22, 2021 12:56 am Reply with quote
I swear that the only thing that distinguishes this show from something like Overlord is the happy-go-lucky music that plays when Rimuru decides to do unspeakable evil. There's so many moments that indicate Rimuru and Tempest's slide into authoritarianism/imperialism. Like when they decide to have a misinformation campaign to hide the atrocities they've committed. Or when there's no hesitation about setting up a vassal state after inciting a civil war and/or coup ("We'll let you know what crops we want"). Or when Rimuru's asked about what he'll do with his power, immediately answers that he'll make a world that's convenient, the way *he* likes it.

I feel so bad for the people of Falmuth. Gazel asks Youm if he's ready to take on the mantel of being responsible for a nation of people and his response is "lol idk. My friend just asked me and I think it'll make me look good in front of this girl I'm into." How is this an acceptable response to give? It seems kinder for Tempest to just outright annex Falmuth because at least Rimuru seems to take care of his citizens seriously.

I'm being increasingly frustrated by this 2nd season (in a good way). The shift away from standard power levelling towards geopolitics is somewhat refreshing but those geopolitics are just super basic or just....wrong. The fact that it spends all that time hashing and rehashing these simplistic ideas and plans is getting tedious. When the show cut to Gobta sleeping though the meetings, I thought "haha funny joke but actually....". This is all underscored by how it's all a facade. Rimuru wants a world where everyone gets along! (but now he must crush Clayman and his nation because he conspired against Rimuru). We are a peaceful nation that wants to use diplomacy and trade to thrive! (but now he must incite a civil war to install a puppet ruler) Monsters and human can coexist! (but what will he do against the religion that preaches monsters must be eliminated and its followers?)
Zzshcl

PostPosted: Thu Jul 22, 2021 11:35 am Reply with quote
"..So, is anyone gonna bother asking the Queen of the Fairies what she came to warn Rimuru about?" I thought the same, the title of the ep was literally Ramiris' warning, but she didn't even mention what the warning is about lol

Also, at first I thought that these episodes were just bla bla, but in the end I think it was needed to contextualize us, since the last season finished on March. However, many people were probably like gobta sleeping in that damn long 3 episodes meeting

Now I hope we get action and this demon king meeting doesn't get too long in terms of bla bla lol
TarsTarkas

PostPosted: Thu Jul 22, 2021 12:28 pm Reply with quote
Cryten wrote:

You dont make gods your leaders, you diefy them.

Depends on their particular leadership style.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 30 of 45