• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Quintessential Quintuplets ∬

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
GhostStalkerSA

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2021 1:54 am Reply with quote
Yeah, I thought this season was going to end with either spoiler[the kiss at the bell plus a flash forward to the wedding], or the intro to Third Year, but at the pace this is going, with what looks to be closing out Scrambled Eggs arc next episode, Sister’s War might not be off the table. I disagree about the suggestion on skipping Last Exam arc to reset some of the pacing though, as it’s a necessary thing to set up progress for pretty much all of the quints.

Still, the Nino train has left the station and has no brakes, so Nino Gang rejoice. I’m still Team Miku, but I respect Nino Gang coming on strong.
BenDTU

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2021 7:29 pm Reply with quote
Gosh, imagine telling the source readers that the Nino confession episode would be a 5/10 episode all up. But like, you’re not wrong. I doesn’t even have the room to breathe like it did in the manga because we're moving at like 5 chapters an episode at this stage. At the very least the motorcycle confession should have been the cliffhanger of the previous episode.

This episode largely just reminded me how little I enjoyed this portion of the story. Losing the study setting means there’s no larger goal that everyone is working towards so it starts to feel like things are just kinda happening.
Covnam

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2021 9:35 pm Reply with quote
Loved seeing Nino turn back around and confess. I definitely was not expecting that trope to be broken and was happy it was. Especially when I wasn't even sure at first if she was actually confessing on the bike or just saying it under her breath quietly to herself.
I hope we see some more common conventions broken as the series goes on.

Quote:
It's also a bizarre combination of pacing and writing that makes for an episode where it feels like too much happens and yet nothing happens, and the whole

I'm guessing that sentence / review wasn't supposed to end like that?
HuuskerDu

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2021 11:44 pm Reply with quote
Covnam wrote:

You ought to get your wish because Negi just loves subverting tropes. He even sometimes outright trolls the readers like in spoiler[the reveal of who really played Rena].

Note that I said 'ought to'. The problem is that because of its frenetic pace the adaptation is either making the subversions fall flat (e.g., Nino in episode 7) or is dropping them entirely like in the Last Exam arc where in the original it was strongly hinted that one the girls might have failed again (cf Yotsuba flashback). So which girl was it this time? It can't be Yotsuba again because that would be too easy for us to guess. Negi then does a slow one-by-one reveal of the girls' test scores until we see the surprise answer: None. That was a nice twist. But the adaptation just says "Yep they all passed" and that's it.
GhostStalkerSA

PostPosted: Sat Feb 20, 2021 3:41 am Reply with quote
HuuskerDu wrote:
Covnam wrote:

You ought to get your wish because Negi just loves subverting tropes. He even sometimes outright trolls the readers like in spoiler[the reveal of who really played Rena].

Note that I said 'ought to'. The problem is that because of its frenetic pace the adaptation is either making the subversions fall flat (e.g., Nino in episode 7) or is dropping them entirely like in the Last Exam arc where in the original it was strongly hinted that one the girls might have failed again (cf Yotsuba flashback). So which girl was it this time? It can't be Yotsuba again because that would be too easy for us to guess. Negi then does a slow one-by-one reveal of the girls' test scores until we see the surprise answer: None. That was a nice twist. But the adaptation just says "Yep they all passed" and that's it.

Yup, the sped up pacing of the anime is pretty detrimental to some of the story beats. I expected the bike scene at the end of last episode like it was in the manga, but by condensing the Last Exam arc into one episode (I get why they did it that way, it’s not like the manga where they can have one chapter focusing on each of the Quints), they were already pushing the limit of how much time they had in the episode by removing the OP and ED.

Still, with the confession being the last part of the chapter/episode, readers/viewers could marinate over it for a week before the drop that Futaro hadn’t heard Nino and then the bombshell of the reconfession later on.

And it looks like they’re squeezing the 8 chapters of the Scrambled Eggs arc down to one more episode plus the half an episode we got this week, and there was a more natural stopping point to build up the tension at the end of the respective chapter adapted this week (chapter 63, Scrambled Eggs 3) that I guess we’ll be seeing at the beginning of next week’s episode instead, which also throws off some timing. I guess they could’ve done so if this was another OP/EDless episode, but maybe doing two of those back to back wouldn’t fly.

I’m still enjoying the series though, just wondering how far they’re going to get by the end of the season. I had expected it to end at the climax of Scrambled Eggs, but since that seems to be finished next week, I guess they’re finishing at the next major arc instead.

Also lol at Nino getting a helmet in the bike scene only for it to disappear (artistically, I guess) during the confession to mirror the manga panel. Gotta make sure there’s safety first for Japanese youth (and cut the couple of panels where Nino complains about Futaro not providing her a helmet that later gets a callback) and not set a bad example, after all.
tywhoppity

PostPosted: Sat Feb 20, 2021 10:38 am Reply with quote
At the end of the latest episode, the title says "Scrambled Eggs". Not "Scrambled Eggs Part 1", so the entire arc is going to be rushed through, probably including the spoiler[bell tower scene]. At this point, I wouldn't be surprised we have an anime original ending, since at the pace it's going, there won't be enough material left for a season 3.
TheWonderOfYou

PostPosted: Sat Feb 20, 2021 4:47 pm Reply with quote
Hanazawa Kana, Ichika's seiyuu already pseudo-confirmed Sisters' War is happening this season in an interview. The first warning sign was skipping 3 chapters outright, then adapting a 12 chapters arc in only 3 episodes. I had no doubts they are doing it since rushed Seven Goodbyes.

Also, a VN is still coming in the same day S2 ends and the VN original story with 14 possible endings takes place after Sisters' War. Doubt the anime will change anything major with Sisters' War, just for to continue in the VN and have your own ending.

S3 is outright impossible. Outside of the skipped chapters that are crucial, I entirely think it's possible that the flashforwards to the wedding in Scrambled Eggs are also discarded completely. IIRC in the manga, Fuutarou and the quints hear and know about the legend regarding the bell, Fuutarou even comments about it referencing pesky legends like the one is S1. In the anime, Isanari infodumped it to Raiha, Fuutarou and the quints weren't there at all to say, listen to it, or just have their time observing the bell.
BenDTU

PostPosted: Sat Feb 20, 2021 5:00 pm Reply with quote
I think that’s bang on, with one more tidbit - I can’t speak for the Japanese fans but the ending was largely not particularly well received among English speaking readers, with most fans considering the point the anime is seemingly going to go to the point where it started to feel like the author was just burnt out.

So yeah, I’d say a “Go play the visual novel and just pick whatever ending you want you ungrateful punks” ending is super likely. Genuinely kinda feel bad for Negi, the ending had all kinds of issues for me but it was one that was clearly very particularly thought out. A little sad that they’re not making any attempt to stick with it and smooth things over or whatever.
TheWonderOfYou

PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2021 3:44 am Reply with quote
BenDTU wrote:
Genuinely kinda feel bad for Negi, the ending had all kinds of issues for me but it was one that was clearly very particularly thought out.

I respect your opinion, but disagree with it.

Negi is not a saint. There are several interviews with him in which he contradicted stuff or outright lied about 5toubun and what to expect. He admittedly got less passionate about the manga, burned out as it went on, and it shows in his poor planning, retcons, deteriorating art and awkward pacing, where 3 days can last for 16 chapters, or you can just casually jump 3 months in one chapter. The worst part is that he actually could have taken a break as 5toubun became a romcom giant. But no. He rather made an unsatisfying conclusion and destroyed the work, instead respecting his own work and not spit in the face of his fans.

Despite saying there is only 1 winner and he knows the readers will hate him for it, he did his utmost best to undermine said victory in last volume and now is completely okay with a VN shilling the choose whatever you want scenario.
ThatGuyWhoLikesThings

PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2021 12:06 pm Reply with quote
TheWonderOfYou wrote:
snip

You're not only making a lot of silly assumptions about the work and how everyone supposedly felt about it, but this right here?

Quote:
now is completely okay with a VN shilling the choose whatever you want scenario.

This right here just reeks of looking for something to get mad at.

The author is promoting a silly, fun, non-canon visual novel based on HIS work (released 2 years after it ended mind you) by a reasonably well-regarded developer, which should be enough reason for him to want to inform his fans, who are the first people that would be interested, and for some reason that undermines what he did with his story. Okay.
TheWonderOfYou

PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2021 1:01 pm Reply with quote
ThatGuyWhoLikesThings wrote:
TheWonderOfYou wrote:
snip

The author is promoting a silly, fun, non-canon visual novel based on HIS work (released 2 years after it ended mind you) by a reasonably well-regarded developer, which should be enough reason for him to want to inform his fans, who are the first people that would be interested, and for some reason that undermines what he did with his story. Okay.

Learn to interpret.
Negi was all about only 1 winner 4 losers, but last volume hardly did any winner victory lap, instead it did everything to undermine the victory and damage control. S2 comes out and chapters that were crucial for the victory got cut out and there is an upcoming VN that let's you choose your winner. He is totally okay with shilling the VN in return for a full adaptation, because he knows full well that the ending is unsatisfying and he admittedly burned out along the way.
ThatGuyWhoLikesThings

PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2021 1:54 pm Reply with quote
TheWonderOfYou wrote:
TheWonderOfYou wrote:
snip

Learn to interpret.

Yeah I'm interpreting that these are some very baffling and nonsensical opinions. Some incredible leaps in logic here, if I'm being frank

While the cuts we've had so far are unfortunate, I don't see what the original author has to do with that. His involvement is likely pretty minimal, if he's even involved at all.
GhostStalkerSA

PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2021 4:06 pm Reply with quote
TheWonderOfYou wrote:
TheWonderOfYou wrote:
snip

Learn to interpret.

While the cuts we've had so far are unfortunate, I don't see what the original author has to do with that. His involvement is likely pretty minimal, if he's even involved at all.

From what I remember, his involvement is drawing script covers or bonus images shown through his Twitter to go with the episode, and also stating that there wasn’t going to be an anime original ending and that they’d follow the manga.

While I only recently got into quints and wasn’t there for the fandom wars when the manga was coming out, I had friends who were, and even now many fandom spaces for this series tend to be battlegrounds over those who disliked the ending and are still pulling for their ship. The only series I had experience with wrt as deep a fandom war was late series Negima, and that ending definitely left me more disappointed than that of Quints.

Akamatsu at least had the excuse of the proposed legislation he was acting against possibly leading him to lose ownership/creative control of his series, and he had a sequel series ready to go with his editors.

I happened to think Negi (and I can’t type that without thinking of the protag of Negima) ended the series relatively well, but again, I marathoned the manga in like 6 hours when I should’ve been sleeping before work a couple weeks back. I was originally on another team, and still prefer them, but spoiler[the Kyoto quint identity reveal and then Chapter 90 ] made me feel that Futaro made the right decision. I agree that skipping the Labor Thanksgiving chapters and the spoiler[Yotsudate] means a bunch of context for his final choice is lost, and I hope there’s a flashback to those chapters at a later time.

Anyway, with the Switch/PS VN releasing the day of the final episode of the season, it makes sense that this season would basically be a promotional ad for it. I don’t see why there couldn’t be a season 3 after this though. Looks like the VN is summer themed, so I guess this season will leave off right before the 3rd Year summer chapters of the manga, and Sister’s War arc is just about right before then, so I guess it fits.

Last edited by GhostStalkerSA on Sun Feb 21, 2021 6:03 pm; edited 1 time in total
TheWonderOfYou

PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2021 5:10 pm Reply with quote

Somehow you still miss the point that I talked about his interviews, claims, then how he went against those in the manga, and now the anime also took a hit,
spoiler[
If Negi would have wanted to, he could have absolutely prevented this kind of season. But he didn't, because he doesn't care. His property, his manga, his ideals are easy to buy out apparently for the greater good of pleasing everyone and shilling the VN. He absolutely prepared to be hated, yet skipped the ring exhange on the wedding and doesn't even show a single panel of Fuutarou and the bride wearing their wedding rings post-wedding. Not a hint of romantic, fluffy stuff between them. We don't even learn what are their occupations even though they are supposed to be the most important characters. He did everything in his power to soften the blow for the losers so it just kept being a sister dramedy where Fuutarou picked one of them without much romantic substance. But good for him to warn the readers, then chicken out from showing anything barebones romantic from the couple that are totally not forced.

There is no way the anime team didn't read the whole manga before S2's production and thought that they eventually adapt the rest of the manga, but skip 2 important chapters, it should totally work. The VN even has the S2 sign - ∬ in the title, suggesting a continuation where you can close off with wedding. Sincerely doubt there is an S3 after that, but I'm already betting on next episode completel nuking the flashforward to the wedding and/or the bell stuff.]
BenDTU

PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2021 5:14 pm Reply with quote
Maybe stick some spoiler tags in there?

I think the source's issues came more from inexperience and burnout than actual malice, and the anime seems to be mostly business driven. Makes me wonder if S2 would even be happening if not for the upcoming VN.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 3 of 6