• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
This Week in Anime - Are the Changes in The Promised Neverland Working?

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Yuvelir

PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2021 6:59 am Reply with quote
Valjean Lafitte wrote:
When I see people write about how wonderful it is to have two versions of a thing they like, I can't but wonder: have you guys never had friends who don't read manga who you wanted to be able to experience the story you fell in love with? For me, half the pleasure of getting an anime adaptation is not in experiencing the same story I read in manga form already, but being able to see friends and family who do not read manga get to experience it for themselves in a medium that they are more familiar with.

I mean, if everyone read the manga, there would be no point in anime adaptations, would there? So the frustration is not that they aren't adapting the story in a way I will enjoy, but that they're changing it completely, and someone who I got to watch the show (who would never take the time to read a manga) is being deprived of a story that I really wanted to see them enjoy. It is, emotionally speaking, an utter letdown of the highest order, a betrayal of expectations built up over the previous season. Surely others can relate?

That's usually not a problem because very rarely does an anime cover the entirety of the series. Even when they go anime original to tie the season but usually there are enough loose ends to make people curious about the manga.
I have read several manga series solely because I knew the anime went for an original ending. This one will be the next (and I would have skipped it otherwise). Just like that also made me read Black Cat and FMA... although I didn't watch Brotherhood, I just lost interest after those episodes that rushed through the "already covered" parts; it saddens me that the Tucker arc most people nowadays are familiar with is the abridged Brotherhood version.
Gem-Bug

PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2021 10:01 am Reply with quote
Yuvelir wrote:

... although I didn't watch Brotherhood, I just lost interest after those episodes that rushed through the "already covered" parts; it saddens me that the Tucker arc most people nowadays are familiar with is the abridged Brotherhood version.

To be fair, the Tucker arc in the manga is -one- chapter out of 108; the 2003 series just padded it out quite a bit. I like both versions more or less equally; both have great music and their own atmospheres. I enjoy BH because it's a more faithful manga adaption; I like 2003 because it had a darker, steampunky vibe and went its own direction(in an interesting way).

I started reading PNL during thespoiler[Goldy Pond] arc, which really drew me into the story as a whole. Knowing beforehand that this adaption isn't going to be covering that makes me hesitant to even watch the watch the first season now.
pikabot

PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2021 10:17 am Reply with quote
Yuvelir wrote:
the Tucker arc most people nowadays are familiar with is the abridged Brotherhood version.

The 'abridged' version in Brotherhood is much more accurate to the manga. There's 18 pages between Shou Tucker being introduced and the Bad Thing happening. The idea that this is an 'arc' is an invention of the 2003 anime's incredibly languid and filler-stuffed pacing.
Animeking1108

PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2021 10:32 am Reply with quote
Yuvelir wrote:
This one will be the next (and I would have skipped it otherwise). Just like that also made me read Black Cat and FMA... although I didn't watch Brotherhood, I just lost interest after those episodes that rushed through the "already covered" parts; it saddens me that the Tucker arc most people nowadays are familiar with is the abridged Brotherhood version.

Well, how many times do we have to see Trisha Elric die and Edward lose his limbs? People complained when The Amazing Spider-Man retold the origin story only a decade after the Raimi movie came out, so I'm sure people would have complained about FMA doing the same thing only six years after the 2003 anime. This isn't like with Fruits Basket, where 18 years had passed since the last adaptation. Honestly, was the story really so incoherent without the train robbery episode or the Elrics dealing with Yoki?

Last edited by Animeking1108 on Thu Feb 04, 2021 10:35 am; edited 2 times in total
Yuvelir

PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2021 10:32 am Reply with quote
Gem-Bug wrote:
To be fair, the Tucker arc in the manga is -one- chapter out of 108; the 2003 series just padded it out quite a bit. I like both versions more or less equally; both have great music and their own atmospheres. I enjoy BH because it's a more faithful manga adaption; I like 2003 because it had a darker, steampunky vibe and went its own direction(in an interesting way).

Huh, thanks for the correction. I read that part of the manga over 15 years ago and remembered it differently. The anime's version made quite an impression with all the time we got to spend with that family; although the chimera Tucker thing later was a bit cheesy.
Gem-Bug

PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2021 10:40 am Reply with quote
Yuvelir wrote:
Gem-Bug wrote:

Huh, thanks for the correction. I read that part of the manga over 15 years ago and remembered it differently. The anime's version made quite an impression with all the time we got to spend with that family; although the chimera Tucker thing later was a bit cheesy.

No, same here! I actually went and looked at the chapter before posting just to see how long it actually was. I could've sworn it was at least 2 chapters.
DavetheUsher

PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2021 12:26 pm Reply with quote
Animeking1108 wrote:
Well, how many times do we have to see Trisha Elric die and Edward lose his limbs? People complained when The Amazing Spider-Man retold the origin story only a decade after the Raimi movie came out, so I'm sure people would have complained about FMA doing the same thing only six years after the 2003 anime.

Brotherhood skipped exactly 2 chapters: the coal town and the train robbery. They kept all the backstory for Trisha and the brothers losing their limbs. I think people forget just how much filler the early 2003 had added to it. The cat burglar lady, that one puppet doll guy, and those fake Elric Brothers weren't in the manga. I wouldn't say Brotherhood was 'rushed' so much as the 2003 series was drawn out in the beginning with a bunch of filler episodes before the main plot kicks in. Wink

I personally always go with the manga and proper adaptions. The mangaka is the one that knows these characters best and generally tell better stories since they have things planned out. Anime studios might get some consultation on where to go with their original story, but I always find them lacking in the end compared to the original. That doesn't make the anime adaptions bad per se, just that there's a reason so many people hope for true adaptions to one day come, like we're getting with Shaman King this year. They want to see the true story animated as it was originally intended.

Besides, if an anime does do something most people consider better than the manga, the mangaka usually incorporates it back into the series proper later on, like we see with series like Detective Conan or Gash Bell. So we can get the best of both worlds in the end. The Promised Neverland is an odd case where the manga is already finished, but the anime is choosing to ignore it so early on. I'm not surprised it's getting some backlash for that.

Last edited by DavetheUsher on Thu Feb 04, 2021 12:27 pm; edited 1 time in total
db999

PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2021 2:14 pm Reply with quote
The other similarity between the FMA 03 situation and The Promised Neverland is that both of those series went anime original at the request of the mangaka. Hiromu Arakawa was the one that asked the staff to create their own original story, and with TPN the anime original stuff is being directly supervised, and maybe even written, by the author.

As for whether or not fans will be happy with the shows going anime original is more of a personal preference, so I understand not liking the show going its own original route. Of course with TPN it’s still ongoing so we don’t know if the anime adaptation will end up being good, but with FMA 03 that story did end up being legitimately good in its own right. While I personally prefer Brotherhood over 03, I don’t think that the difference in quality is that large. Sure Brotherhood kind of rushes through the first 13 episodes a bit, but I think it sticks the landing much better than 03 did. 03 has a better beginning, but the ending just kind of falls apart, and I’d prefer a story to start out a little bit weak and end well than start off extremely strong and end weakly.

Going back to The Promised Neverland we still don’t even know if the series is going fully anime original. For all, we know they could just be replacing a few arcs with original material before merging back into the manga material. I haven’t read the manga though so I don’t know if any of these changes are severe enough that it would be impossible to go back to the manga’s plot. We also don’t even know if season 2 will be the final season either. While I do understand if manga readers are disappointed or don’t want to continue watching the anime because of this, I also hope they don’t just dismiss season 2 as garbage just because it doesn’t follow the manga without checking it out to actually see if it’s any good.
Cardcaptor Takato

PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2021 4:54 pm Reply with quote
DavetheUsher wrote:

Brotherhood skipped exactly 2 chapters: the coal town and the train robbery. They kept all the backstory for Trisha and the brothers losing their limbs. I think people forget just how much filler the early 2003 had added to it. The cat burglar lady, that one puppet doll guy, and those fake Elric Brothers weren't in the manga. I wouldn't say Brotherhood was 'rushed' so much as the 2003 series was drawn out in the beginning with a bunch of filler episodes before the main plot kicks in. Wink
The fake Elric brothers plot came from the Land of Sand light novel by Makoto Inoue that came out in Japan shortly before the anime premiered. The one area where I feel like FMAB was too rushed was how they combined one volume of the manga that covered all of the Elric brothers' past into just two episodes and I liked how the manga handled the chapter where they meet Izumi better than FMAB. But I think Arakawa always intended characters like Hughes and Nina to be more minor characters that serve the role of pushing the Elric brothers forward in their motivations and the 03 version expanded it further than her intentions like they did with Rose. Personally I feel like even before FMAB came out fans have already ruined the expectations for the Nina subplot with all the Internet memes that they just won't let go of.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2021 4:06 am Reply with quote
I've found something quite interesting to discuss on Reddit regarding the reasons for TPN S2's current directon.

"The anime in the case of an adaptation is made by a studio who took the command from a Production Comitee.
The Production Comitee can be made of the Manga Publishing firm, here it's Shueisha. That's them who own the Manga's rights, not the author. They can do almost everything they want with it. Other actors in the comitee can be TV canals, Merchandising companies who are making toys, games of the license, Broadcasting firms like Netflix, Music firms to sell songs through the anime ect...

Each actors has more or less power among others, and it's different according to the anime.
They decide the cost, the studio, and they tell to them, you have to make a season of 12 episodes, it will adapt those volumes from the manga, we made a marketing plan to sell figurines from characters from this arc, there is this first game of a trilogy we are planning which will be released soon after ect.

Here, the main actor is Shueisha, the manga is finished since months now, from what we can see from the episodes, it seems the season is rushing to go through the end. The goal would be to make the 2nd season the last, because they will not gain much profits from later seasons because the manga has made close to all the sells it can, there are no new volumes to come, the anime has nothing to promote anymore.

Every adaptation is a cash grab in some ways, that doesn't prevent Cloverworks to be creative by using the constraints they were given. For each anime, the studio must follow orders, it's their job to do the work according to that, and they are aware about it.

Here, they can put their effort to make a good story out of the conditions they were put in, and for example, they have asked or maybe the comitee proposed to the author to help into the story rewriting process to manage to fulfil their agenda. The benefit for the author is to be able to see what they are doing with his manga and to save what can be saved instead of letting them rewriting a version that could be even more an issue for him.
EDIT : Hence why they only said that the author is "supervising" the original content, not "creating" it."

I agree. I still follow the thing, and can say for sure that its not Cloverworks or Shirai being lazy, it's them trying to make their most of what is reluctant/difficult to do for them to do on seemingly short notice or what is obviously going to cause stir and negativity.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2