• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Animator in Japan Reveals Their 1st Year Earnings In the Industry

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
residentgrigo

PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2021 10:17 am Reply with quote
I make about 21.000€ a year (not counting bonus pay) before tax and I only work 20 hours a week. That's about 25.453$. How many hours do animators work per week? 60?
Unions are your friend. That´s all I have to say.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Whitestrider

PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2021 2:30 pm Reply with quote
El Hermano wrote:
zrnzle500 wrote:
I made more than that working at McDonald’s in high school/college, and I barely made much more than the minimum wage (the federal one, that is). That’s pretty damning.

That's the gamble with freelance work. You don't get a salary wage like a McDonalds employee would, and that means minimum wage isn't applicable either. So if you don't get that much work you can make even less than a minimum wage job.

Freelance work often means laughable pay, especially for younger people who aren't able to demand a better economic treatment, also because of their lack of esperience. But even if they are still learning they should get at least a minimum to sustain themselves and pay the rent!
Sven Viking

PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2021 6:10 pm Reply with quote
At this point they’d be better off going back to a medieval apprentice system including room and board.
Whitestrider

PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2021 10:24 am Reply with quote
Sven Viking wrote:
At this point they’d be better off going back to a medieval apprentice system including room and board.

I'm sure some anime studios will be happy about it...
Sven Viking

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2021 5:32 am Reply with quote
Not necessarily. Providing room and board will probably cost them more than what they pay now.
Zalis116

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2021 3:20 pm Reply with quote
CrownKlown wrote:
Ultimately it's like trying to raise the minimum wage in the us, most of the jobs paying that are e what the market dictates . And are typically low to no skill jobs that are often meant to be short jobs not careers. At the end of the day all raising the wage will do in Japan or any where else is put most of these animators out of job on exchange for the handful that remain getting a higher wage.

I'm not saying its right but reality and morality are often conflicting and ambiguous.

And yet in other countries, similar jobs pay much more livable wages, and the prices of products aren't higher by the same amount, e.g. a Big Mac doesn't cost twice as much in Denmark or Australia. Almost as if it's more a matter of policy choices and worker bargaining power than some abstract, immutable, objective value of the labor being done. (Which doesn't even pass the sniff test anyway: somehow, all that virtually-worthless labor manages to produce enough revenue to fund lavish executive salaries, dynastic wealth for family ownership, dividends, stock buybacks, etc.) Plus, maybe it's time to sue a lot of those employers for false advertising, as nearly every one of their websites has a "careers" section that includes these entry-level positions.

Or put another way, low-wage labor may be relatively replaceable, but companies need whoever fills those jobs to have housing, food, clothing, some degree of medical care, a method of communication (especially since many workplaces use "just in time" labor systems that at times have employees on-call in lieu of predictable shift scheduling), and other necessities of modern life. Sick, naked, unbathed, homeless, starving, and dead people you can't call on a cellphone don't exactly keep a business running. If the companies aren't paying employees enough to afford those needs, then it's government programs making up the difference -- meaning that instead of making lower profits to pay employees livable wages, these companies are having their profits subsidized by taxpayers. It's not exactly a "just what the market dictates" outcome when businesses are getting money from people who don't even necessarily patronize them.

Sven Viking wrote:
Some have made the argument that Downton-Abbey-style servants were better off than the low-wage workers of today.

And when it comes to animators, that work is far less replaceable than restaurant/retail/grocery-type work. It's just that the anime world is stuck with many of the labor practices and pay systems from Tezuka's heydays in the 1960s, and serious industrial reforms, regulations, and labor organizations are needed to bring things forward. I don't know how much of a threat outsourcing would be though; it seems that if too much of the core production goes abroad, either the overall quality declines or the aesthetics change too much, spurring consumer complaints and pushback.

However, none of these low animator pay revelations lessen the need for us as anime fans and consumers to pay for our entertainment; the animators aren't going to win any pay concessions from an industry with no money. Far too anime viewers point to their crocodile tears for "the animators" to justify pirating, e.g. "They don't get paid any more if I subscribe to a service, so I may as well pirate." I don't say this to condemn piracy in general, just that those who claim to care about the plight of exploited animators maybe shouldn't turn around and exploit those same animators themselves.
AkumaChef

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2021 4:31 pm Reply with quote
Zalis116 wrote:

And yet in other countries, similar jobs pay much more livable wages, and the prices of products aren't higher by the same amount, e.g. a Big Mac doesn't cost twice as much in Denmark or Australia.

Half my family is from Denmark, I have lived there for a few years and visited on vacation many times. I can tell you from firsthand experience that everything is more expensive there, and many products we take for granted in the US simply aren't available, though things have been improving in recent years. A Big Mac in Denmark is more expensive than the US. It's not double the price, but it's a significant increase:
Quote:
And so at the Aalborg McDonald’s, for instance, a Big Mac extra value meal costs 58 kroner, or $10.25, while the Dollar Menu is the 10 kroner menu, which means it’s the dollar-seventy-seven menu here. In Denmark, taxes are included in list prices, unlike in the US, so backing out the 25 percent VAT gives us $8.20 for a Big Mac meal and $1.41 for the “dollar” menu. That compares to $6 and $1 in Seattle.

And while Denmark is famous for paying its fast food workers quite well ($20 an hour is a figure I often see in print), they're conveniently leaving out the approximately 50% income tax that's applied to that $20/hour figure. It's nowhere near as good as it sounds.

Quote:
(Which doesn't even pass the sniff test anyway: somehow, all that virtually-worthless labor manages to produce enough revenue to fund lavish executive salaries, dynastic wealth for family ownership, dividends, stock buybacks, etc.)

It's easy to look at rich CEOs flying to expensive golf retreats in corporate jets and think that's where all the money has gone and if the executives would pay themselves a little less then the workers at the bottom end of the scale could earn a much better wage but the numbers don't really bear that out.
For example the CEO of McDonald's, Chris Kempczinski, has a net worth of about $16 million. McDonald's has about 200,000 employees. If we make the assumption that all his assets are 100% liquid and he gave up every penny to his name he could give all McDonald's employees a one-time $80 bonus. To give all McDonald's workers a meaningful raise--say a few dollars per hour--would require many orders of magnitude more money than all the executive's salaries combined.

And it's interesting to note that only a few years ago McDonald's had far more employees than the current 200,000 figure. It turns out that as minimum wages have gone up the number of jobs has gone down. McDonald's pays people more now than they have in the past but the number of those jobs has severely dropped. Back in 2015 they had over 400,000 employees.
https://www.statista.com/statistics/819966/mcdonald-s-number-of-employees/

Now don't get me wrong, I think the pay level of animators is sickeningly low but I don't think the solution is as simple as blaming the problem on overpaid management or a lack of collective bargaining power. As others have posted earlier in the thread there is only so much money available to fund new productions. If animators like Ryoko are paid a much more reasonable wage than the paltry sum mentioned in the article it is clear that the cost of producing anime will go up substantially. Of course that means that fewer shows will be made. And that's a big deal. I'm not complaining that I won't have as many shows to watch in a given season (heck, I rarely watch more than one or two a season anyway). I'm pointing out that jobs will be lost. If the producers have to spend twice as much per episode then half of the animators will be out of work.
DavetheUsher

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2021 5:34 pm Reply with quote
It's always easy for people to say to pay animators or any kind of workers more wages, but it's never that simple. Not every job can realistically be livable, whether people want to admit it or not. If you want to live off going door to door mowing lawns, you better be mowing a lot of lawns to make that lifestyle work, or cutting out a lot of expenses in your life.
NeverConvex
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2021 5:57 pm Reply with quote
AkumaChef wrote:
And it's interesting to note that only a few years ago McDonald's had far more employees than the current 200,000 figure. It turns out that as minimum wages have gone up the number of jobs has gone down....
Now don't get me wrong, I think the pay level of animators is sickeningly low but I don't think the solution is as simple as blaming the problem on overpaid management or a lack of collective bargaining power. As others have posted earlier in the thread there is only so much money available to fund new productions. If animators like Ryoko are paid a much more reasonable wage than the paltry sum mentioned in the article it is clear that the cost of producing anime will go up substantially...I'm pointing out that jobs will be lost. If the producers have to spend twice as much per episode then half of the animators will be out of work.

I don't think this is really a sound way to reason about the impact of a wage increase. You're making ceteris paribus assumptions all over the place here, with little justification (when inferring that MW increases drove McDonald's job decreases), and claiming there'd be a 1-for-1 loss of jobs for increased labor costs, but in practice there's no reason to expect a linear relationship like this.

In the case of minimum wages, specifically, it is in fact quite common to find that modest increases in the minimum wage do not reduce employment at all. For example, in a famous 1992 New Jersey minimum wage study, Card & Kruger found that "Stores that were unaffected by the minimum wage had the same employment growth as stores in Pennsylvania, while stores that had to increase their wages increased their employment." It's also important to note a feature of their design: they compared stores that were very similar to one another with the notable exception of the minimum wage increase (a situation arranged in this case by virtue of the minimum wage existing on only one side of the NJ-PA state boundary).

I don't know of any similar work that'd be more immediately relevant to underpaid Japanese animators (or I would have shared it already in this thread), but the key point I'd like to make here is just that linearly applying macroeconomics 101 is often of limited value in reasoning about the impact of wage increases, whether via a minimum wage increase, animators unionizing, anime fans organizing to pay animators a bunch of cash through Patreon (and maybe buying less anime merchandise because of it), or what-have-you. A sufficiently large increase in wages would of course necessarily produce some combination of reduced employment and increased prices for end users (us/viewers), but it is rather hard to get a good handle on what "sufficiently large" means in context, and to just ballpark how large the effects would be.

Also, as an aside, we can systematically account for differences in prices between countries (e.g., between Denmark and the US or Japan) by using the OECD's published purchasing-power conversion rates (which adjust for prices in a way that's a bit fancier and more thorough than something like the Big Mac Index, for example). Those conversion rates address exactly this issue, while attempting to reasonably standardize baskets-of-goods when measuring price impact; in this particular case, the negotiated 'average minimum wage for all private and public sector collective bargaining agreements' seems to be about 110 Danish krone, which is nominally (not accounting for price differences) about $18. In PPP, that's instead about 110/6.66 or $16.50 -- a bit lower, reflecting higher prices, but not that much lower. To be perfectly clear, this use of PPP gives that $16.50 the very rough interpretation: "$16.50/hr USD can purchase you about the same lifestyle in the US as 110 Danish krone in Denmark."
AkumaChef

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2021 6:48 pm Reply with quote
NeverConvex wrote:

I don't think this is really a sound way to reason about the impact of a wage increase. You're making ceteris paribus assumptions all over the place here, with little justification (when inferring that MW increases drove McDonald's job decreases), and claiming there'd be a 1-for-1 loss of jobs for increased labor costs, but in practice there's no reason to expect a linear relationship like this.

I totally agree there's no reason to expect a linear relationship. This is my fault for writing that "half" the jobs would be lost. I didn't mean that literally, I meant that a substantial number would be lost.

Quote:

In the case of minimum wages, specifically, it is in fact quite common to find that modest increases in the minimum wage do not reduce employment at all.

Right, but we are not talking about "modest" increase in wages here. The numbers Ryoko posted are far from what anyone might consider a reasonable wage, especially for a skilled job like animation. The article mentions that the average yearly pay for a person in the anime industry was 1,550,000 yen and yet the national average for the same age group was a full million yen higher. That's basically a 60% increase which I would not call modest.

Quote:
A sufficiently large increase in wages would of course necessarily produce some combination of reduced employment and increased prices for end users (us/viewers), but it is rather hard to get a good handle on what "sufficiently large" means in context, and to just ballpark how large the effects would be.

Totally agreed on both points, assigning concrete figures to this is difficult, but I think the kind of numbers the article discusses make is reasonable for us to assume that we're dealing with a "sufficiently large" increase in wages.
ATastySub
Past ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2021 7:01 pm Reply with quote
DavetheUsher wrote:
It's always easy for people to say to pay animators or any kind of workers more wages, but it's never that simple. Not every job can realistically be livable, whether people want to admit it or not. If you want to live off going door to door mowing lawns, you better be mowing a lot of lawns to make that lifestyle work, or cutting out a lot of expenses in your life.

Great idea. No more anime because these idiot animators need to learn that they’re no better than lawnmowers (guess we’ll also ignore the fact landscaping/gardening is an industry). They really should wake up to the fact that their job ain’t worth doing and go pursue a livable career rather than these silly cartoons that clearly aren’t sustainable.
DavetheUsher

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2021 9:13 pm Reply with quote
ATastySub wrote:
Great idea. No more anime because these idiot animators need to learn that they’re no better than lawnmowers (guess we’ll also ignore the fact landscaping/gardening is an industry). They really should wake up to the fact that their job ain’t worth doing and go pursue a livable career rather than these silly cartoons that clearly aren’t sustainable.

They're not stupid. They do it because it's their passion. It's why anime is so unique and special. It's not always about the money, ya know?
NeverConvex
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2021 8:48 am Reply with quote
AkumaChef wrote:

I totally agree there's no reason to expect a linear relationship. This is my fault for writing that "half" the jobs would be lost. I didn't mean that literally, I meant that a substantial number would be lost...
Right, but we are not talking about "modest" increase in wages here. The numbers Ryoko posted are far from what anyone might consider a reasonable wage, especially for a skilled job like animation. The article mentions that the average yearly pay for a person in the anime industry was 1,550,000 yen and yet the national average for the same age group was a full million yen higher. That's basically a 60% increase which I would not call modest.

I think it's likely that this would be large enough to cause at least some job losses and/or price increases, yeah. I'm not sure how substantial those effects would be, though; it would be helpful to know, e.g., what proportion of anime production costs are labor costs, broken out by magnitude of salary. It would also be useful to have some microeconomic work done in Japan to reference (ideally in an anime or anime-adjacent industry), to get a sense of how sensitive supply/demand tend to be to price changes.

It's also important to note that minimum wage changes have an advantage that an increase in salaries for a single industry don't have: they tend to redistribute significant income/wealth from the upper to the lower quintiles, which is in turn spent at higher rates (since low-income persons spend more of their income than high-income persons). That stimulates growth, which can partially offset employment losses. That seems a lot less likely when talking about changes in a specific, narrow industry though (since the poorest animators will mostly spend their increased income in other sectors, and only a small proportion of that will rapidly return to the anime sector).
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3