• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The Spring 2021 Preview Guide

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
The_Grey_Otaku

PostPosted: Sun Apr 11, 2021 2:48 pm Reply with quote
There was one show I was looking forward to enough to actually break from my routine of waiting until it's season is complete before watching and actually screened the first chance I had, and that was Super Cub.
And it did not disappoint. Smile
The first episode was *exactly* what I'd hoped it would be... someone who's sad and alone setting out on the (wonderfully picturesque ) path to being neither of those, and the only thing disappointing about it was that the reviewers don't seem to share my love of "redemption/healing anime" and left reviews that may steer some people away from a show that's likely to provide a little positivity during a very negative time.
Key

PostPosted: Sun Apr 11, 2021 2:54 pm Reply with quote
whiskeyii wrote:
I dunno, 86 is kinda making me nervous, and I think it’s all the militaristic trappings that’s doing it. I’ve heard enough through the grapevine to know that this series’ main thrust is about racism, but color me skeptical. I don’t know that I expect this to really go much beyond most fantasy racism*, though I guess it’s a step in the right direction? Also I know we don’t have any say in it, but from the Preview guides alone, I’d be intrigued to see Richard cut his teeth on this. Laughing

*Fantasy racism being racism that’s explored just enough in-universe to be a compelling plot point, but typically with not enough depth or nuance to connect or relate back to real-life racism.

This isn't fantasy racism. The novels go to great lengths in elaborating on how the 86s define themselves by the racism as much as they are defined by the Alba through racism, and even makes the point that those subjected to intense racism can become racist themselves as a defense mechanism. The parallels to real-world cases of racism and ethnic cleansing will be apparent enough that some aspects of this series could be uncomfortable for some audiences.

I do agree that, based on the PG entries, Richard would be the best fit for episode-reviewing this title. The point he makes about how a sympathetic voice is not what the squad wants (as evidenced by the way the Processors in Lena's earlier squad respond to her) is a very salient and insightful one towards future character dynamics. If he's reading this, I encourage him to volunteer for this title.

TarsTarkas wrote:
There is more to the 86, than just an essay on racism.

Agreed, and it does become less of a central factor later in the series, though that's beyond the point where a single cour of anime would cover. There are one or two other major themes as well, but those won't be evident right away so I won't comment on them further here.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Cam0

PostPosted: Sun Apr 11, 2021 3:27 pm Reply with quote
Key wrote:
beyond the point where a single cour of anime would cover. There are one or two other major themes as well, but those won't be evident right away so I won't comment on them further here.

Livechart and Anichart suggest that there are two cours. If I had to guess this'll probably be one of those split cour thingies.
kurichan69

PostPosted: Sun Apr 11, 2021 3:41 pm Reply with quote
Am I the only one who couldn't even make it through the first episode of 86? Didn't see any characters I really care about and there's an incredible info dump that seemed confusing. Obviously this is going to be heavily about the military and racism and having just finished the season of SnK, I am veering away from those topics. I also found Lena's uniform to be ridiculous in every way. It's totally impractical and garterbelt, which then got its own little close-up in case you missed it. Seriously. I might try watching the episode again but there's a lot of other stuff that grabbed my attention immediately.

Mashiro no oto is my pick for Sleeper of the Season. I really liked the first episode but I LOVED the second one and found myself crying.
whiskeyii

PostPosted: Sun Apr 11, 2021 3:59 pm Reply with quote
Key wrote:

This isn't fantasy racism. The novels go to great lengths in elaborating on how the 86s define themselves by the racism as much as they are defined by the Alba through racism, and even makes the point that those subjected to intense racism can become racist themselves as a defense mechanism. The parallels to real-world cases of racism and ethnic cleansing will be apparent enough that some aspects of this series could be uncomfortable for some audiences.

Hmm, how should I put this? Given how much more aware the world at large is of the lived racism POC experience compared to when this series was first written, I don't know if the racism explored in this series will feel as meaningful as it did on release, though it sounds like it's a well-developed and well-written component of the plot. That's perhaps not fair to 86 as a story, but I'm expecting to feel a sort of disconnect between 86's version of racism and real-world racism just because the world feels so much more self-aware nowadays. I think that's perhaps a more accurate description of what I meant by "fantasy racism".

Or, coupled with the militaristic slant, it could run in an equally horrific but different direction and pull an Attack on Titan with a more anti-Semitic-flavored route, which is a topic I don't feel at all qualified to engage with.
Key

PostPosted: Sun Apr 11, 2021 4:28 pm Reply with quote
Cam0 wrote:
Livechart and Anichart suggest that there are two cours [of 86]. If I had to guess this'll probably be one of those split cour thingies.

Really? That surprises me, because the obvious cut-off point is at the end of novel 3, and the first three novels together should comfortably play out over 12-13 episodes. I suppose the end of novel 6 would also make a good cut-off point, since there are a couple of major climaxes towards the end of it and the story moves into a new phase with novel 7.

kurichan69 wrote:
I also found Lena's uniform to be ridiculous in every way. It's totally impractical and garterbelt, which then got its own little close-up in case you missed it.

That shot's in there because the original author is a fan of garter belts. (He even opens the Afterword of the first novel by stating that.)

whiskeyii wrote:
Or, coupled with the militaristic slant, it could run in an equally horrific but different direction and pull an Attack on Titan with a more anti-Semitic-flavored route, which is a topic I don't feel at all qualified to engage with.

There are ugly aspects to it, but this won't be going in an AoT direction. The message this series ultimately delivers about racism is far less convoluted.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Sven Viking

PostPosted: Sun Apr 11, 2021 4:34 pm Reply with quote
kurichan69 wrote:
Am I the only one who couldn't even make it through the first episode of 86? Didn't see any characters I really care about

Most of the characters are introduced in the last few minutes if that matters.
John the Dark Lord

PostPosted: Sun Apr 11, 2021 4:42 pm Reply with quote
Key wrote:
That shot's in there because the original author is a fan of garter belts. (He even opens the Afterword of the first novel by stating that.)

Are you sure it's a "he"? I've read in a different site that the author of 86 is a woman.
Key

PostPosted: Sun Apr 11, 2021 5:29 pm Reply with quote
John the Dark Lord wrote:
Key wrote:

Are you sure it's a "he"? I've read in a different site that the author of 86 is a woman.

Hmmm, the fandom page for Asato Asato does classify the writer as a "she," so maybe I'm mistaken. If that's verifiable, then she does a remarkable job of producing a male-sounding perspective.
Leviathonlx1

PostPosted: Sun Apr 11, 2021 5:47 pm Reply with quote
Glad to see 86's first episode was well done.
Notlad00

PostPosted: Sun Apr 11, 2021 6:02 pm Reply with quote
Key wrote:
Hmmm, the fandom page for Asato Asato does classify the writer as a "she," so maybe I'm mistaken. If that's verifiable, then she does a remarkable job of producing a male-sounding perspective.

I don't usually comment anywhere, more of a lurker, but I wanted to weigh in on this one.

I have recently heard from a variety of sources that Asato Asato is a woman, and I subsequently found this twitter post that roughly translates a Japanese interview with her.

https://twitter.com/highimpactsex/status/938345319997177857

Based on what I've heard/read, it seems to be legit.

And I understand what you mean when you say a male sound perspective, but I think it's really just a case of healthy expression. What I've read from her sounds relatively gender neutral, and I know other woman and even some female authors that make what we often refer to as typically male oriented perspectives seem like the perspectives of innocent kids.
dxthegreat

PostPosted: Sun Apr 11, 2021 9:22 pm Reply with quote
I see that the reviewers are saving their 5 star ratings for Fumetsu no anata e Cool
Sven Viking

PostPosted: Sun Apr 11, 2021 9:36 pm Reply with quote
dxthegreat wrote:
I see that the reviewers are saving their 5 star ratings for Fumetsu no anata e Cool

Looking forward to it. Just mentioning that someone earlier in the thread was saying Megalobox 2 got more 5-star preview guide reviews than anything previously or something.
Akukame

PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2021 2:33 am Reply with quote
ScruffyKiwi wrote:
Akukame wrote:
Quote:
The thing 86 EIGHTY SIX (sidenote: why is it named that? Does this actually take place in the year 8686?) most reminds me of is the now somewhat faded trend of dystopian Young Adult novels.

If anyone else is confused by this, the title is in reference to the slang term "to 86 someone", which means to kick out / refuse service to them. Its probably just written and spelled both ways to make it actually searchable.

It’s called 86 because the pilots of the Juggernauts are all from the 86th district of the Republic of San Magnolia although if you were paying attention to the newscaster she mentions there is only 85 districts. This should all become clear in the next couple of episodes.

That's the in world explanation. But the author explains it in the afterword of volume 2 of the light novel. The direct quote is here:

Quote:
The title:
While we’re on the topic of my pen name, I’ve been asked a few times about the origins of the title Eighty-Six . It comes from English slang, where to eighty-six someone means you designate them as someone who isn’t allowed to enter a store or as someone you refuse to give service to. But it also carries the nuance of ejecting someone, disposing of them, or murdering them.

Personally, I've only heard the term 86-ing someone in reference to kicking someone out of bars though. Its not a slang term thats used very much anymore.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2021 2:54 am Reply with quote
I likely won't keep up with Serial Slime Murderer Azusa for very long, but I disagree that she has problems that need "fixing" because she hasn't felt the need to become a social butterfly during this incarnation. She seemed to be happy with her life the way it was, so what's the problem? Granted, from a storytelling perspective that doesn't leave much story to tell, but that's a different issue.

To be honest, I was so angry at the villagers not respecting her explicit requests for privacy that I just wanted her to march into town and inform them that since they couldn't keep their flappin' mouths shut, it was clear that they no longer needed her medical or protective services and so she was moving on to find a village that had better manners, and then just leave them to their fate while she did just that. Maybe she could drop a volcano on their heads on her way out the door.

Anyway, during her reign of terror, this woman has murdered over 2.7 million slimes who were minding their own business and no threat to her. Where are the "Azusa is a monster" crowd now, huh? *crickets*

Sootpunk Horrorshow looks interesting still, but I gotta agree with Nick about how grating and pwecious Emilico is. I can't think of anything more soul-killing than the Sisyphean task of constantly cleaning up after the Soot Family, which makes me believe Emilico really isn't human. I'm not sure I'd last a week, since it was tiring just watching her. But I'll probably stick with it longer than that.

Simbo's Himbos was not what I was expecting, but that's because I didn't know it was a SHAFT joint. I'll give it another episode to see if they find her star or what, but I'm pretty sure this will be on the chopping block sooner than later.

I saw the 00 episode of Tokyo Time Tunnel a week or so ago and was just shaking my head wondering wtf was going on. They blasted through what looks like it will be the first 2 or 3 episodes in 20 min and my head was just spinning from the whiplash. Fortunately, the actual first episode cranked that back to a normal speed, with some runup of his life before the train-kun incident and I wasn't as lost this time. So I'll keep it on the docket for now, whereas that 00 mess almost made me give it an instant no-way. How did anyone ever think Hammer pants looked cool? These wannabe gangbangers look like walking Chinese lanterns. Laughing

Not-Area-88 almost lost me until they switched over to the 86 kids. Then it got really good. Heh, I know the premise is fairly different (air pilots vs ground pilots), but even what looks to be the main pilot protag is also named Shin. I'm really looking forward to more of this one.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 21 of 25