• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The Spring 2021 Preview Guide

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Niello

PostPosted: Sat Apr 03, 2021 6:24 pm Reply with quote
Sven Viking wrote:

This is the problem with making things too subtle, especially in something like an anime vampire show where people may not be expecting it, though I really appreciated the subtlety personally.

That the military seemingly haven’t discovered the connection between the two of them during their investigation might be a potential plot hole.[/spoiler]

I agree with doubleO7 that one great episode is no guarantee it’ll be a great series, though.

I suppose it is really too subtle. There are hints throughout the first episode that they do know about the two's connection. Maeda's rank is a major. Nice, but not too high. Yet, he was called back early specifically for this, and was allowed to be in complete control over what is to be done to the extremely rare and high grade vampire. His superior who has the same last name as Misaki emphasised to Maeda to not be emotional, which imply familarity and connection. if we consider Maeda's personality and the fact he's involved with the budding Zero project, do you think he seems like the type of person to be involved in romance around this time? They hadn't met before the event despite living in the same city and exchanging letters, so someone must have introduced her to him. We can tell who that is. After the incident he got promoted two ranks, which implies that his superior already had high trust for him.

Well, those subtleties are the reason why I love this episode so much. Personally, I think there's a good chance this is going to end up great. The directing of the first episode is handled so well to the degree that I don't think it'll flub, provided the same person is still in charge. The PVs also show some colourful characters missing in the first episode, so I'm positive people who find this episode too boring will get something more catered to them next episode onward. The real wild card is just the story, imho.
Sven Viking

PostPosted: Sat Apr 03, 2021 6:43 pm Reply with quote
Niello wrote:
I suppose it is really too subtle. There are hints throughout the first episode that they do know about the two's connection. Maeda's rank is a major. Nice, but not too high. Yet, he was called back early specifically for this, and was allowed to be in complete control over what is to be done to the extremely rare and high grade vampire. His superior who has the same last name as Misaki emphasised to Maeda to not be emotional, which imply familarity and connection. if we consider Maeda's personality and the fact he's involved with the budding Zero project, do you think he seems like the type of person to be involved in romance around this time? They hadn't met before the event despite living in the same city and exchanging letters, so someone must have introduced her to him. We can tell who that is. After the incident he got promoted two ranks, which implies that his superior already had high trust for him.

Well, those subtleties are the reason why I love this episode so much. Personally, I think there's a good chance this is going to end up great. The directing of the first episode is handled so well to the degree that I don't think it'll flub, provided the same person is still in charge. The PVs also show some colourful characters missing in the first episode, so I'm positive people who find this episode too boring will get something more catered to them next episode onward. The real wild card is just the story, imho.

Ah, I did consider that at one point but something threw me off. Thanks for explaining!
Princess_Irene
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Sat Apr 03, 2021 7:05 pm Reply with quote
Sven Viking wrote:

They began that from the first word, six seconds in, though?

Well, not having the entire play memorized, I had to listen to it for a few lines, then go get my copy and leaf through to find the exact lines that were being said.
Sven Viking

PostPosted: Sat Apr 03, 2021 7:24 pm Reply with quote
Princess_Irene wrote:
Sven Viking wrote:

They began that from the first word, six seconds in, though?

Well, not having the entire play memorized, I had to listen to it for a few lines, then go get my copy and leaf through to find the exact lines that were being said.

Ah yeah, I get what you mean then. I didn’t think much of the first scene myself until they put it in context.
darkchibi07

PostPosted: Sat Apr 03, 2021 9:04 pm Reply with quote
Vivy -Fluorite Eye's Song- is one my biggest anticipated titles, and the first 2 episodes did not disappoint! I'm kind of a sucker of these sci-fi concepts backed up with gorgeous visuals, and the peeps at Wit Studio definitely nailed them! It will need to walk a very tricky path since we are dealing with A.I. motives AND effects of time-traveling; I really hope they don't fumble hard on this.

On that note, I am very curious if this show will really go over the 100 year time span in this entire series, and how it will differentiate the future tech world and 100 years of that world. What would be cool is if they introduce secondary characters that will be important and later see their descendants.
Niello

PostPosted: Sun Apr 04, 2021 6:04 am Reply with quote
Is ANN not covering Thunderbolt Fantasy any more?
Princess_Irene
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Sun Apr 04, 2021 6:55 am Reply with quote
Niello wrote:

I think there's just no one doing Preview Guide who's caught up with it.
Sven Viking

PostPosted: Sun Apr 04, 2021 7:43 am Reply with quote
Niello wrote:

Just mentioning this English-subbed April Fools special in case you missed it.
Niello

PostPosted: Sun Apr 04, 2021 8:13 am Reply with quote
Sven Viking wrote:
Niello wrote:

Just mentioning this English-subbed April Fools special in case you missed it.

Already knew about it Smile
pikabot

PostPosted: Sun Apr 04, 2021 8:58 am Reply with quote
I find it very amusing that almost every preview review of the new PreCure can be summarized as ‘show’s great, protagonist is loud, the makeup thing doesn’t really land’.
Lotus Viridis

PostPosted: Sun Apr 04, 2021 3:25 pm Reply with quote
I just have to say that I am loving the preview image changes. The tiny old squares were just a tad bit unappealing. This looks much nicer!
DJGoodNews

PostPosted: Sun Apr 04, 2021 4:07 pm Reply with quote
Impressions so far:

Kabaddi - Sport might be interesting. Not gonna find out. Characters are all uninteresting or unlikable.

Combatants - Biggest disappointment so far. Why do they talk so fast? Is it supposed to distract me from how much I'm not laughing?

Dragon House Hunting - Seemed cute at first, but it's just so boring.

Joran - Setting is interesting, gonna keep watching. Not sold on characters yet.

Koikimo - Fuckouttahere with this.

Mars - Liked the first episode, was a totally different vibe than what the synopsis made me expect, but it also gives me no sense what the rest of the episodes will be like, so we'll see.

Megalobox 2 - Way into it. Bummed for joe. Wanna find out how things got this way.

Moriarty 2 - Sherlock is boring, let's get back to punishing rich people, please?

SSSS - Liked dyna despite not really liking super robots or kaiju - will probably feel the same here. Characters are interesting enough that I want to see what they do next. The polar opposite of kabaddi.

White Notes - Sucker for these stories. Know nothing of the source. If the nice girl is really gone, but we're stuck with the shitty boyfriend in the cast going forward, that is unfortunate.

VIVY - Most interested I've been in anything I've watched so far. Not sure it'll end up being any good, but if all next weeks episodes popped right now, I'd watch the next episode of this first. Can't really tell if the direction we're headed in is more Ghost in the Shell, or Macross, but I'll line up for either ride.
tfwnoymir

PostPosted: Sun Apr 04, 2021 4:51 pm Reply with quote
This day was a bit busier than usual, I've watched 3 new premieres.

Combatants is by the Konosuba author and it operates with the same style of humor. Not sure I'm sold on it, but at least it's an easy watch where I can turn my brain off.

Which can't be said about Dragon Goes House-Hunting, which was sadly felt like a subpar premiere. I liked the opening part about the slime couple and the last part about the "architect" showing up, the OP is an earworm and the ED was pretty. Sadly, everything in-between was a slog. I was not a fan of all of this dragon-bullying and the choices about the animation being so low-framerated has made it not an easy watch. There's a hint this is going to change now that the dragon and the "architect" has met, so I'll give it a chance, but this wasn't the best first impression for sure.

Cramer is something I feel like it has a lot of potential, but it hasn't shown all of its cards as of yet. But it sure is a seiyuu galore: having both Yuuki Aoi and Kurosawa Tomoyo voicing one of the main characters is certainly something. Also I like the it's-another-sports-series-but-the-characters-happen-to-be-girls approach.
poltroon

PostPosted: Sun Apr 04, 2021 5:01 pm Reply with quote
I appreciate the division of reviews by streaming location - it makes it easier for me to use the guide to answer the question, "what, of the new stuff I can access, might I enjoy watching?"

I'd still love a quick even one-sentence synopsis for each title on the main page too.
ab2143

PostPosted: Sun Apr 04, 2021 5:05 pm Reply with quote
Dragon goes house-hunting - Funimation’s late release of the episode had put me in a bad mood since I had issues with them yesterday too when watching the final episode of Sk8...
Anyways, I really enjoyed the first episode. Letty’s the purest dragon I’ve ever come across. Must protect Letty at all costs! I can understand people being annoyed by Letty’s behaviour. Will take some time getting used to Letty’s voice. It’s kinda weird imo. Dearia, on the other hand, has a lovely, soothing voice. Honestly looking forward to Letty’s journey on finding a perfect home.
Also love the ED song and visuals! The art is really gorgeous. Will read the reviews for the first ep tomorrow as my mood has worsened and I’ve got a headache
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 5 of 25