• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: 86

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MFrontier

PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2021 10:32 pm Reply with quote
SilverTalon01 wrote:
Speaking of that bathing section of ep 3, I didn't really get the point of the peeping in the bath type scene considering everyone was wearing uniforms. I don't think there needed to be a fan service scene at all but playing it as a super cliche peeping on the girls in the hot spring felt really off. I still get why they would be annoyed at getting spied on, but what in the hell were they even hiding to look at...

Well, their figures look a little more pronounced without their jackets on...
Electric Wooloo

PostPosted: Sun May 09, 2021 11:26 am Reply with quote
So how can Shin spoiler[Hear the voice of every legion if not every legion is a "Black Sheep" now? Is his sensory thing not related to his near death experience and is perhaps something else? I kinda hope so, don't want this series to go too supernatural.

Also since the Para-raid shares hearing, as said in episode 1, why doesn't Lena constantly hear the voices when connected if Shin constantly hears them? Really curious if this is explained.]
MFrontier

PostPosted: Sun May 09, 2021 5:40 pm Reply with quote
Electric Wooloo wrote:
So how can Shin spoiler[Hear the voice of every legion if not every legion is a "Black Sheep" now? Is his sensory thing not related to his near death experience and is perhaps something else? I kinda hope so, don't want this series to go too supernatural.

Also since the Para-raid shares hearing, as said in episode 1, why doesn't Lena constantly hear the voices when connected if Shin constantly hears them? Really curious if this is explained.]

spoiler[I could be forgetting but I think the idea is that their initial engagements had no Black Sheep and they're only coming in now from the rear.]
Key

PostPosted: Sun May 09, 2021 6:05 pm Reply with quote
Electric Wooloo wrote:
So how can Shin [spoiler]Hear the voice of every legion if not every legion is a "Black Sheep" now? Is his sensory thing not related to his near death experience and is perhaps something else? I kinda hope so, don't want this series to go too supernatural.[spoiler]

You needn't worry too much about this. (Very mild spoiler follows.) spoiler[It is a psychic power, but those are very rare bloodline traits in this setting. Shin doesn't realize that at this point because he's never met anyone else with a psychic ability and doesn't know about his bloodline.]

Quote:
spoiler[Also since the Para-raid shares hearing, as said in episode 1, why doesn't Lena constantly hear the voices when connected if Shin constantly hears them? Really curious if this is explained.]

The novel version of this scene explains this slightly more, but some of what follows is based on assumptions from context: spoiler[The general voice of the Legion is incoherent, like background static. Only the voices of the Black Sheep and Shepherds come through distinctly. Also, how much Lena can hear depends on how high the Resonance on the Para-RAID is tuned. With a low enough setting, Lena would only hear the voices if the Black Sheep were close by. This fight is the first since Lena has become Spearhead's Handler where the Black Sheep have been present.]
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Electric Wooloo

PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2021 3:08 am Reply with quote
Key wrote:
The novel version of this scene explains this slightly more, but some of what follows is based on assumptions from context: spoiler[The general voice of the Legion is incoherent, like background static. Only the voices of the Black Sheep and Shepherds come through distinctly. Also, how much Lena can hear depends on how high the Resonance on the Para-RAID is tuned. With a low enough setting, Lena would only hear the voices if the Black Sheep were close by. This fight is the first since Lena has become Spearhead's Handler where the Black Sheep have been present.]

Good to know, thanks. And I'm glad to hear about your first answer. I figured it had something to to with spoiler[The original legion brains being not complex enough/human enough or something to properly travel over the Para-RAID]
Key

PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2021 1:11 pm Reply with quote
review wrote:
nother favourite frame of mine is where the dummy's shadow and the cracks in the wall form the image of a ghost while they discuss the Legion.

There's a lot of merit to rewatching episodes of 86. It's an incredibly dense show with plenty of things that can be missed on first viewing.

Man, I've watched the episode through fully twice (and partially a couple of more times) already and didn't catch the ghost image until Callum pointed it out.

But yeah, totally agree that there's a lot of little details like that which can easily be overlooked on a single view. You could probably make an entire podcast just breaking down the visual cues, like the shot of the flowers when Shin first brings up the salvaging of intact human brains (the perfect flower gets revealed after the wilting one falls away), or the symbolism of the spilling ink pen given its timing, the appearance of the spider on the wall when Shin announces that the Legion is coming (significant because some of the Legion have vaguely spider-like appearances), or the specific way the crack in the mirror cuts Shin's head off in the final shot. Even liked the way the hole in the Juggernaut's armor allowed moonlight to shine down on young Lena (at around the 4:00 mark). Hell, I found myself wondering if some symbolic meaning was intended by the scene of the rats on the hanging light. Just about every shot in this series feels like it was specifically chosen to convey extra meaning.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2021 4:25 pm Reply with quote
Key wrote:
Hell, I found myself wondering if some symbolic meaning was intended by the scene of the rats on the hanging light.

Shin was talking about appropriating human brains off the battlefield while the rats were eating walnuts out of the shell. What does this remind you of? Twisted Evil

saber721

PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2021 5:41 pm Reply with quote
Another detail in this episode I loved was the fact the flowers were wilting because Kaie was the one taking care of them, as shown in episode 1. And since she's dead they've been left to wilt and die, as if that part of the Spearhead squadrons peaceful life back at base died with her.
Key

PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2021 6:30 pm Reply with quote
^
Nice catch on the details on both previous posts.! I probably should have gotten the "nut in shell = brain in skull" allusion, but I had lost track of the fact that Kaie was the one watering the flowers.
dm
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2021 7:34 pm Reply with quote
So now I'm wondering if Lena's father's brain might be one of those ghost commanders.
Iron Maw

PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2021 12:12 am Reply with quote
dm wrote:
So now I'm wondering if Lena's father's brain might be one of those ghost commanders.

That's a good question

I doubt because it Shourei destroyed the one that killed him. Vaclav body was most likely retrieved afterwards once the incident was reported.
MFrontier

PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2021 4:51 pm Reply with quote
Iron Maw wrote:
dm wrote:

That's a good question

I doubt because it Shourei destroyed the one that killed him. Vaclav body was most likely retrieved afterwards once the incident was reported.

I would've thought Lena would think immediately to what happened to her father as to whether the Legion have been harvesting brains since then, unless she and her mother never got a body to bury.
saber721

PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2021 7:28 pm Reply with quote
Honestly he could be.

spoiler[There's a scene in Vol 3 of the LN that could be implying that he is one. Although this is highly speculative.

Excerpt from vol 3:

The Supreme Commander unit was a Shepard whose call sign was No Face. It had lost the ability to even discern the faces of its wife and beloved daughter, but its human conviction alone remained intact. The fact that this ghost was capable of enjoying such cruel irony was proof of the education it had been graced with during its lifetime.

Another excerpt a few paragraphs later:

The Supreme Commander unit had long since stopped thinking it was fruitless. It had lost its words years ago, when it died on the Eighty-Sixth Sector's battlefield.]
Electric Wooloo

PostPosted: Sat May 15, 2021 4:19 pm Reply with quote
I really enjoy the dichotomy of perspectives in this show. The way the series goes to great lengths showing how Lena/Spearhead view the same things differently all the way down to how different the mental image of Shin's brother is to Lena compared to Shin.

I am curious about 1 thing this episode though maybe a LN reader knows. spoiler[Who else is in Lena "Remembrance Jar"? There's Daiya and Lecca who died this episode, and Kaie who died in episode 3, but I don't remember any other deaths while Lena has been the Handler and there were 5 slips of paper in there in total. Did these happen off-screen or am I misremembering?]
Gingi7890

PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2021 3:24 am Reply with quote
Electric Wooloo wrote:
I really enjoy the dichotomy of perspectives in this show. The way the series goes to great lengths showing how Lena/Spearhead view the same things differently all the way down to how different the mental image of Shin's brother is to Lena compared to Shin.

I am curious about 1 thing this episode though maybe a LN reader knows. spoiler[Who else is in Lena "Remembrance Jar"? There's Daiya and Lecca who died this episode, and Kaie who died in episode 3, but I don't remember any other deaths while Lena has been the Handler and there were 5 slips of paper in there in total. Did these happen off-screen or am I misremembering?]

This is my first time (i think? it's been a while) posting, so i'm trying to not mess up the spoiler tag:

spoiler[ In the novel, Lena doesn't have a remembrance jar. Daiya's death is mentioned in passing, and you don't know how a lot of the other processors die. There's a scene with Anju and Kurena in the shower (not a fanservice scene whatsoever) where they mention that they're the last two women in the squad at that point - but this is territory that isn't really covered in the novels. I like the characterization, to be honest.]

Speaking of which, this could be a way for the timeline that was mentioned on the first page (the first cour to run the first novel) to work. They are extending it, but I don't mind the way they're doing it. I would like them to get through the fourth by the end of the second season, but at this pace, I kind of doubt it.

Loving the series, though. Smile
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 4 of 13