• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Banished from the Hero's Party

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tuor_of_Gondolin

PostPosted: Thu Nov 25, 2021 6:23 pm Reply with quote
^ I was definitely thinking, "Hey. Aren't they going to need those tools?"
Covnam

PostPosted: Thu Nov 25, 2021 7:28 pm Reply with quote
Personally I would have preferred more focus on the slow apothecary life and seeing more of Red and Rit's romance than this drug plot.

Tuor_of_Gondolin wrote:
^ I was definitely thinking, "Hey. Aren't they going to need those tools?"

lol, same.
Melicans

PostPosted: Fri Nov 26, 2021 12:28 pm Reply with quote
Covnam wrote:
Personally I would have preferred more focus on the slow apothecary life and seeing more of Red and Rit's romance than this drug plot.

The drug plot is key for Red and Rit to have that slow romantic life. Wait for next week. spoiler[Ruti finally gets her moment to shine]. I can't wait to see Tisse's terror animated.

Richard wrote:
...(though I admit to not understanding how Big Hawk's demon is able to nullify its contract, seemingly without penalty in the end).

From my understanding of that scene Big Hawk was basically already dead; the contract demon said something to that effect. Since Big Hawk 'ended' the moment the contract did, there was no penalty to apply. Alternatively perhaps penalties are only applied when the contractee breaks it, not the contractor. Probably something in the terms and conditions in miniscule fine print that we couldn't read at that screen resolution. That's my answer anyways.
Animegomaniac

PostPosted: Fri Nov 26, 2021 8:27 pm Reply with quote
I couldn't get past the feeling that Rit's going to die soon, that's all I got. The feeling that their lovey dovey home life will face some sort of Mad Max style retribution from forces both good and bad is suffocating me to the point of distraction.
Aaronrules380

PostPosted: Fri Nov 26, 2021 11:46 pm Reply with quote
So the light novel basically explains that contract demons can break their contracts at any time in theory, but they lose anything that was offered as part of the demon and also lose a bunch of levels, so they'll almost never do it if they think there's still an alternative (something else they didn't make as clear in the anime compared to the light novel is that the contract demons also have cultural reasons to not want to lose levels since they believe in the same god as everyone else and since blessings are a gift of god losing levels would be considered a sin to them. This also ties into why he specifically called the other demon a heretic as a reason for his distaste for him)
Cryten

PostPosted: Sat Nov 27, 2021 12:20 am Reply with quote
That line of thinking seems to run contrary to both what was done and how he formed a new contract with Albert. Where albert didn't really agree to anything and just half heartedly agreed that his blessing required him to try again. Was it different in the novel? You could at least argue that he was desperate in face of a superior demon but he seemed to have no qualms, loss or heck even hesitation about abandoning the contract. So he seemed to suffer nothing in breaking a contract nor gain anything or place any promises into making a new one.
MFrontier

PostPosted: Sat Nov 27, 2021 12:45 am Reply with quote
Red and Rit getting the double bed was less surprising than seeing them jump so much into intimacy...until they get interrupted by the kid that's living with them. Although I'm convinced they had sex off-screen in those five days after the incident if they're already bathing together (and quite possibly have bath sex).

I'm amazed anyone was fooled by Red in that hood. The audience wasn't, I'm surprised the bad guys were.

I wonder what the overall message of the show will be. Is Red right to be living the slow life and ignoring the wider problems that are going on around him until he can't anymore (Albert even brings up how this could have all been solved quicker had Red gotten involved sooner)? Ultimately him leaving Ruti seems like it did her more emotional harm than good, but I don't think he's aware of this. Not that I'm not happy to see Red and Rit happy, but it seems to come at a cost.

So if Buri is Shisandan, that shape-shifting demon Ruti killed, does that mean Danan was him too? Is Danan dead?

Albert feels like Ares with a sword, someone trying to act well above their station to try and be a hero or be by Ruti's side no matter who they have to sacrifice to achieve that. I wonder if his offer to Ruti is going to be the drug so she can defy the Hero's Blessing.
Covnam

PostPosted: Sat Nov 27, 2021 12:57 am Reply with quote
Those hoods must be magic because they were terrible disguises lol
Aerodynamic41

PostPosted: Sat Nov 27, 2021 3:49 am Reply with quote
Covnam wrote:

This part was explained in the LN but the anime left it out: For Rit, she was wearing a Cloak of Disguise that can cast illusory magic. For Red, he was using a skill called Disguise that didn't use magic (because otherwise Bighawk could have detected him). The reason Red knew about the plan to kidnap Al was because he eavesdropped on the guards' conversation.
MFrontier

PostPosted: Sat Nov 27, 2021 2:48 pm Reply with quote
Aerodynamic41 wrote:
Covnam wrote:

This part was explained in the LN but the anime left it out: For Rit, she was wearing a Cloak of Disguise that can cast illusory magic. For Red, he was using a skill called Disguise that didn't use magic (because otherwise Bighawk could have detected him). The reason Red knew about the plan to kidnap Al was because he eavesdropped on the guards' conversation.

That explains a lot.
Phrunicus

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2021 5:35 pm Reply with quote
Cryten wrote:
Does anyone else feel like the 2 sides of the show arnt meshing together quite well? I certainly found them to be disparate in this episode. The romance and their experiences in zoltan is completely fine but the payoff in the intrigue doesnt seem to belong in the same show.

Yeah, I've been feeling this for a while - it's a show that seemingly doesn't know what it wants to be. Is it a slow-life iyashikei, or a serious intrigue fantasy story? It kinda swings wildly between those, and neither meshes well.
b-dragon

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2021 5:43 pm Reply with quote
Phrunicus wrote:
Cryten wrote:
Does anyone else feel like the 2 sides of the show arnt meshing together quite well? I certainly found them to be disparate in this episode. The romance and their experiences in zoltan is completely fine but the payoff in the intrigue doesnt seem to belong in the same show.

Yeah, I've been feeling this for a while - it's a show that seemingly doesn't know what it wants to be. Is it a slow-life iyashikei, or a serious intrigue fantasy story? It kinda swings wildly between those, and neither meshes well.

I agree, but I also feel like its kinda the point. Maybe I'm reading too much into it, but the weird dissonance between the show in the background, and the show front and center mirror's Red/Rit's issues with settling down.
Phrunicus

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2021 7:24 pm Reply with quote
b-dragon wrote:
I agree, but I also feel like its kinda the point. Maybe I'm reading too much into it, but the weird dissonance between the show in the background, and the show front and center mirror's Red/Rit's issues with settling down.

Sure, I can see that as the point, I just don't think it's being done very well.
Cryten

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2021 8:36 pm Reply with quote
I dub this episode: The predictable happens.

Throughout the whole run the one consistent theme has been the entrapment of peoples lives with their blessing and how they deal with that. All of Ruri's story is how she has been unable to act as she wishes because of how powerful her blessing is. It follows that the preceding story about a drug that suppresses blessings would result in her trying to defy her blessings obligations.

What I cant see coming is if the heretic demon lad will try and assist the hero in her going rogue or try and kill her. On one hand turning her against regular humanity would create conflict between her and red even when Gideon is her main aim. On the other trying to kill her would let gideon be the object of desire that the show has consistently portrayed him as.

I am now trying to temper my expectations as far as expecting in depth character work. Nothing we have had has indicated that it wants any of that. Instead it wants a set of antagonists for red / gideon and his chosen path. The show is about him and him alone. We stopped finding anything about other characters when they didn't directly relate to gideon / red.

What the show does good is cute loveable moments. If it wasnt for the drug theme and not so light music I could of thought of this current episode as a breezy comedy show about a zany OP hero.
Melicans

PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2021 12:20 am Reply with quote
I loved absolutely everything about this episode. The updates to the opening, Tisse's terror, Ruti's 'common sense', Mr. Crawly-Wawly, the expressions, the reactions, the meeting at the end... everything was better done than I hoped. I know I'm biased with this show, but my goodness this was just amazing beyond belief. The very end was even better than I pictured in my head.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 6 of 12