• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Hard of Hearing Animator Draws Ranking of Kings Sign Language Sequence

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
whiskeyii

PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2021 1:56 pm Reply with quote
This reminds me of a YouTube analysis of The Dragon Prince by a person who taught at a deaf school, and how he remarked that you could clearly tell that the deaf character Amaya had been animated by a deaf person (most of the time, anyways) because she emoted how a deaf person would, whereas the scenes that conveyed less body language were clearly done by an animator who was not deaf who was probably just using reference video for the sign language.
olgita

PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2021 2:41 pm Reply with quote
Now that's delightful. You can feel love and care from this show, highly recommend it!
taishou*

PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2021 9:29 pm Reply with quote
Really cool! It's obvious a lot of care and detail has been put into this show and it really shines through.
all-tsun-and-no-dere
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Sat Oct 23, 2021 12:18 am Reply with quote
whiskeyii wrote:
This reminds me of a YouTube analysis of The Dragon Prince by a person who taught at a deaf school, and how he remarked that you could clearly tell that the deaf character Amaya had been animated by a deaf person (most of the time, anyways) because she emoted how a deaf person would, whereas the scenes that conveyed less body language were clearly done by an animator who was not deaf who was probably just using reference video for the sign language.

I don't watch The Dragon Prince but that's fascinating to know! There's so much more to signed speech than just handsigns, and most hearing people don't realize that.
Agent355

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2021 5:15 pm Reply with quote
I was wondering if the sign language in Ranking of Kong’s was accurate. I’m so glad it is!
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1