• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Police in a Pod (TV).

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2022 9:55 am Reply with quote
I knew absolutely nothing about the mangaka who created Police in a Pod but I felt whomever it was, that person HAD to have had some police experience or was very close to people who had and was great at research. As luck would have it, ANN did an article on the mangaka and surprise, surprise... Miko Yasu was a cop for 10 years.

animenewsnetwork.com/interest/2022-01-07/police-in-a-pod-manga-creator-shares-her-motivation-for-creating-the-series/.181299

Makes sense. There are just too many persuasive details sprinkled throughout the show. Who would even think to have a segment on a cop losing his ID except for an actual cop?

Oh and Kawai is my waifu, due to the perfect marriage between her cute appearance and her seiyuu's adorable voice (Shion Wakayama), so don't even think about it.
ACxS

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2022 9:49 pm Reply with quote
DuskyPredator wrote:
I remember when I was in high school, they brought some officers into talk about motor safety. Which burnt into my memory that one of them explained having seen some super messed up consequences of accidents that made them want to get across to us the soul crushing things they have seen, but also not wish to pass on that sort of trauma. It sounds like the very worst part of the job, that by its nature they are going to see the very worst things that could scar someone for life, and that traffic accidents with all sorts of people can be a large part of that.

I remember hearing that the mangaka was an ex police officer, and I wonder if things like this is what pushed them for the change in career.

The most damning thing is, given how frequent road traffic accidents happen, statistically such accidents are more common than what most people would imagine. And it's also inevitable; as long as we have vehicles on the road, road traffic accidents are bound to happen.

This is also why police officers and other frontline workers (healthcare, firefighters and military in particular) can get burned out easily, since their work will involve some kind of traumatic experience. Imagine what kind of messed-up things they would encounter in their line of duty.
Beltane70

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2022 6:23 pm Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:
Oh and Kawai is my waifu, due to the perfect marriage between her cute appearance and her seiyuu's adorable voice (Shion Wakayama), so don't even think about it.

I totally agree! Kawai is easily my favorite of the two lead characters, as well! You certainly do have good taste!
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2022 4:12 am Reply with quote
Episode 11

I was hoping that Kawai was going to be the one with the sketch to help match the perp, despite a lack of artistic skill. Kind of looks like this has been set up as something like a final arc to the show. Perhaps where Kawai realises her true calling as an artist.
ACxS

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2022 10:34 pm Reply with quote
11:

Sexual assault.

A hot-button topic in crime and perhaps the most problematic for one big reason: it's claim versus claim. There's always something to debate when it comes to crimes based on sexual assault, so you know what? I'm glad that this is going to be a two-episode plot. One episode isn't going to be enough, for sure.

So yes, there's the sketching part based on witness testimony. We know this poses a shit-ton of problems: witness perception (mental distortion), cognitive bias, poor description, etc. For the benefit of the show, the witness is very helpful with his clear descriptions of the culprit but even he has his doubts (which is actually good... witnesses who doubt what they saw is better than highly confident witnesses who are actually wrong).

And to make it worse, Kawai is highly doubtful herself with her sketching skills, so her doubts are making the witness even more doubtful about what he saw. Like how one's nervousness can rub off on another. Great. Good thing to have Makitaka as the second sketcher to help moderate Kawai's first drawing.

But true enough, being a sketch artist (or even an artist) isn't just about skills; it's about knowing what the subject (i.e. witness) is trying to convey and capturing that essence. Makitaka knew that; she just wasn't good at expressing it. That's art 101 for you.

So two side comments:

1) Makitaka smelling like weed is a blatant plot device. It's clearly a way to make Kawai the prime sketch artist for this sexual assault case. There's nothing of value about smelling like weed here that warrants discussion.

2) I think this show is making a parting shot to the authorities about the lunacy of not having any guidelines on criminal sketching in Japan. For the last 300 years. Which is ridiculous, if you think about it. Clearly, the show is showcasing how nonsensical it is to incriminate someone based on a novice sketch. You're going to ruin lives this way.

3) Not sure what the purpose was with the power nap scene. Look, I know: Kawai thought it's "weird" to see two women sharing the same bed (you all know what she was thinking, I don't have to spell it out). The strange thing is, a thought like that would never occur to me. I've seen men and women sharing a bed very often; it just depends on context. Not sure if it's a cultural thing... probably is.
ACxS

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2022 9:49 pm Reply with quote
12:

Sexual assault cases are always very sticky because traumatized victims are involved, and they may not cooperate for many reasons. Trauma-related reasons for most parts. In this case, it's a seemingly simple case of sexual assault (although apparently a syndicate is involved), and it's already that taxing for one department / taskforce. Imagine that it's like for any of the rise of high-profiled sexual assault reporting cases in recent times. Some of them involved cases that happened decades ago, and allegations are against highly influential figures.

But something's off. I'm getting hint that the eyewitness's testimony isn't completely reliable. More accurately, his testimony doesn't add up with the victim's testimony. In such case, this makes the eyewitness also suspicious. Did he play a role in the assault (no, not just witnessing it)? Even more importantly, does he personally know the victim? Is there something the eyewitness isn't telling the police?

This is another reason why sexual assault cases are problematic: we rely too much on one person's narrative that we tend to believe his narration is the truth. When we learn it's not, we're flabbergasted (see "Unreliable Narrator").

Something's not right. We will learn in the final episode next.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2022 8:55 pm Reply with quote
Episode 13 (finale)

And they managed to catch him, although Kawai wasn't able to physically do the job as she was about to lose the creep, she at least kept some pursuit. And we also learn that his accomplice was a supposed normal seeming and dependable person, with two young boys, although had the same "sexual interests". The rundown was a little interesting, if we were meant to feel any sympathy there, such be his wife breaking down, specifically apparently from hearing that the car was impounded. Chances are getting the big guy's phone had enough evidence. Also a little sad that they had to get another new girl involved, to the point that they had enough probably cause to get the criminals.

The show is an odd one. Undoubtedly it has elements of copaganda, as really any show that shows police characters in a positive light, and there really wasn't anything that really tried to expose some elements of (Japanese) police that might be problematic. Except for maybe a bit about sexist culture, but not really enough of an antagonistic look that couldn't just be written off as jokes.

At the same time I think that there were benefits to the sympathetic view of officers, especially the lines of the things that would really mess with their minds, passing the trauma onto them, because someone has to deal with those things. As well as the balance with mundane things, that there jobs could be filled with a bunch of things that could be mundane and more annoying to deal with, and then get smacked with something incredibly serious and they had to be ready for that.

It hits my personal opinions of police, that they shouldn't just be respected because they have power, something that someone looking for a power trip should pursue. But the individuals who act as a service to society, and do the right thing, respect for power not taken advantage of. Which is why I thought it important that the general citizens could insult them for being cops, calling them tax leeches or something, even if it annoyed them, they couldn't just throw their power in the faces of the people to demand respect. The sympathetic cases I think were some of the best, like when Fuji realised that a random person passing by was likely unwell because they were only wearing one shoe.

I really enjoyed this show, and I think that it might be one the best police experience media. It might not be as funny as a Brooklyn 99, but I enjoyed the unglamorous parts, and maybe even showing experiences that have a worth in understanding. My rating will be Very good (8/10), with the note that with some higher production values, and maybe elements more critical, it probably could have been even higher. Don't miss this one.
ACxS

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2022 9:37 pm Reply with quote
Final:

Huh. That's it? Pretty anticlimactic if you ask me.

Something felt off towards the end of the previous episode, so I thought something didn't add up. Especially when the victim made a statement, I thought an important detail was revealed at last—especially after the sexual assault reenactment, I was getting the hint that something about the testimony didn't add up—which would lead to a plot twist. But no. Apparently, the prime suspect is the culprit and his accomplice is... just some other guy with a sexual depravity. More so when Kawai's pursuit of the suspect is a rerun of episode 4. That was a letdown.

Well, whatever. 7/10 for me. A score I imagined giving this show much earlier on.

A solid show that offers a more accurate portrayal of the police force in Japan, especially from a female police officer's POV. Much more balanced and nuanced compared to other police drama anime out there—looking at you, 'You're Under Arrest'—with plenty of topical issues raised and a good balance of serious drama and lighthearted comedy.

I wasn't disappointed at all with the show; it turned out to be a delight. I have no clue why it's rated rather low across anime communities; maybe it's not as sensational as they wanted it to be. I always knew that Madhouse can whip out something good once in a while... haven't lost faith in them. Good ol' Madhouse.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4