• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Akebi's Sailor Uniform

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Reiemye

PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2022 12:44 pm Reply with quote
I've dropped that show in the middle of the third episode, right at the leg/feet shot of Kei. It was already being weird before, but BOY that crossed a line.

I really can't see how people can say this isn't voyeuristic and a sexual depiction of literal children. Those are not real people, they are fictional characters manipulated by the author at his will. None of the frames are innocent, they all have a purpose.

And besides the feet and general sexualization, I have to say it also reeks of lesbian fetishization. A lot of the interactions are suspiciously romantic, and while I would have been happy about it in another context, I can't here because of all the other circumstances.

It's sad because remove all that and you have an amazing anime. I just can't go past the sexualization. Watching this, I feel like a pervert spying on teen girls.
evan77

PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2022 12:45 pm Reply with quote
When people discuss the age of the characters in the anime, I really can not understand them
These are just paintings
If the author said they were 120 years old and immortal, how could you prove that they are not 120 years old?
I like anime because it has no boundaries and can always surprise you
We do not need to compare the characters in this anime with people in the real world and criticize the creators for a few scenes of the characters' bodies.
When I see that even anime fans in the West can not separate reality from fantasy, I understand why the quality of storytelling in the West has fallen so low.
In the first place, if we want to compare everything anime with reality, anime should not exist at all
Oggers

PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2022 1:11 pm Reply with quote
evan77 wrote:
When people discuss the age of the characters in the anime, I really can not understand them
These are just paintings
If the author said they were 120 years old and immortal, how could you prove that they are not 120 years old?
We do not need to compare the characters in this anime with people in the real world and criticize the creators for a few scenes of the characters' bodies.
When I see that even anime fans in the West can not separate reality from fantasy, I understand why the quality of storytelling in the West has fallen so low.
In the first place, if we want to compare everything anime with reality, anime should not exist at all

It's true that anime fans can sometimes have a problem separating fantasy from reality and that these are still fictional characters, but at the same time, it's perfectly fine if a work of art makes someone uncomfortable with its content. Art is meant to provoke reactions and make you feel any number of ways. I was personally put off the series after two episodes, and after hearing what episode 3 is like I don't have any desire to watch further.

Just so long as you aren't campaigning for a work of fiction to be banned or censored because "something something think of the children", it's only natural to be put off and decide it's not for you.
Abraham Omosun

PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2022 1:32 pm Reply with quote
evan77 wrote:
These are just paintings

What does the storytelling in the "West" have to do with any of the criticism being pointed at Akebi Chan?
everydaygamer

PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2022 1:32 pm Reply with quote
I'll personally never understand people's problems with this stuff. It's not graphic in anyway nor is it presented in a sexual manner, and its just a drawing.

I could understand if this was done with real actors who are the actual age of the characters but I find it weird that something as tame as this could make anyone uncomfortable.
tomdean

PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2022 1:38 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
I'll personally never understand people's problems with this stuff. It's not graphic in anyway nor is it presented in a sexual manner, and its just a drawing.

I could understand if this was done with real actors who are the actual age of the characters but I find it weird that something as tame as this could make anyone uncomfortable.

Amen to that. Judging by here and by the forums in general, thank god anime isn't created by Western people. it'll be so sanitised and boring - what happened with the West that they are so instinctively averse to even miniscule titilation in art form? is it Christianity?
Juno016

PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2022 1:46 pm Reply with quote
I'm both in the camp of "Fiction is fiction and there's no reason to believe any real people will be harmed by this" AND in the camp of "I really like this art style", but honesty is also important here. Being a fan of the manga, there's no question in my mind that it is a "male gaze" thing and these characters are probably are portrayed a bit more on the realistic side, so I think the discomfort some people are expressing here is absolutely warranted. When I take it seriously, it really does stand out uncomfortably, so I often just ignore the age of the characters, much like I do in most series I read/watch. Makes it easier to deal with and I can enjoy the really good art and real character moments. No one should feel obligated to watch a good show if they can't justify getting through the uncomfortable parts, though. Just know that unless the anime changes things up, the manga consistently works in the fanservice, so don't expect anything to change.

As for the "queer-baiting" (is this the correct term?), as a lesbian myself, I'm somewhat annoyed by the exploitation of lesbians in entertainment for the male gaze, but I also enjoy some clearly exploitative BL and GL stuff, too, so I get it. I try to take a stance of: GL/BL for non-lesbian/gay titilation is okay as long as we recognize them as such and continue to shift mainstream entertainment toward more realistic portrayals of queer people. To be honest, this series doesn't actually go so far as to "represent" anything queer, GL or realistic, so I personally lump it in with the vast pool of "Schrodinger's queer" that anime/manga are so well known for.
primalmaximus

PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2022 1:57 pm Reply with quote
Juno016 wrote:
I'm both in the camp of "Fiction is fiction and there's no reason to believe any real people will be harmed by this" AND in the camp of "I really like this art style", but honesty is also important here. Being a fan of the manga, there's no question in my mind that it is a "male gaze" thing and these characters are probably are portrayed a bit more on the realistic side, so I think the discomfort some people are expressing here is absolutely warranted. When I take it seriously, it really does stand out uncomfortably, so I often just ignore the age of the characters, much like I do in most series I read/watch. Makes it easier to deal with and I can enjoy the really good art and real character moments. No one should feel obligated to watch a good show if they can't justify getting through the uncomfortable parts, though. Just know that unless the anime changes things up, the manga consistently works in the fanservice, so don't expect anything to change.

As for the "queer-baiting" (is this the correct term?), as a lesbian myself, I'm somewhat annoyed by the exploitation of lesbians in entertainment for the male gaze, but I also enjoy some clearly exploitative BL and GL stuff, too, so I get it. I try to take a stance of: GL/BL for non-lesbian/gay titilation is okay as long as we recognize them as such and continue to shift mainstream entertainment toward more realistic portrayals of queer people. To be honest, this series doesn't actually go so far as to "represent" anything queer, GL or realistic, so I personally lump it in with the vast pool of "Schrodinger's queer" that anime/manga are so well known for.

I really like how you see things. And as a bisexual man I have similar views on "queer-baiting."
evan77

PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2022 2:38 pm Reply with quote
Abraham Omosun wrote:
evan77 wrote:
These are just paintings

What does the storytelling in the "West" have to do with any of the criticism being pointed at Akebi Chan?
Because the stories of each country show the situation from the level of perception of people within that country
And the reason for the low quality of stories in the West can be seen in the reviews that people make of this anime
"Inability to distinguish reality from fantasy"
As long as a story is entertaining, ​what does it matter what kind of content it has?
It's just an imaginary plot
If you do not like it, just do not watch it and be silent, just like in Japan
People in the West comment on everything, and that's really annoying
Let writers and creators be free
Electric Wooloo

PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2022 2:48 pm Reply with quote
evan77 wrote:

Sounds to me like you're mixing up criticism with censorship
"If you don't like it, don't watch it" is one of the weakest excuses anyone can give for a product. Generally people criticize something because they want it to be better. They air their thoughts and hear others to get a range of opinions and views to better understand the art/story/whatever. "Only people who love it should watch it" or similar arguments this season I've seen of "The person reviewing this series should be someone who likes it" creates just as stale and boring art as your strawman "Western" art.
Abraham Omosun

PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2022 3:05 pm Reply with quote
evan77 wrote:
Abraham Omosun wrote:
evan77 wrote:
These are just paintings

Because the stories of each country show the situation from the level of perception of people within that country
And the reason for the low quality of stories in the West can be seen in the reviews that people make of this anime
"Inability to distinguish reality from fantasy"
As long as a story is entertaining, ​what does it matter what kind of content it has?
It's just an imaginary plot
If you do not like it, just do not watch it and be silent, just like in Japan
People in the West comment on everything, and that's really annoying

-"low quality of stories in the West" Yes as opposed to the high quality storytelling the anime industry brings out every season.

-"Let creators to free" I agree with you there. You should also allow readers/watchers to be free to talk about the media they interact with, positively or negatively. Also why do you think people in Japan don't talk about things they do not like?
Snowcat

PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2022 3:07 pm Reply with quote
Oggers wrote:
Just so long as you aren't campaigning for a work of fiction to be banned or censored because "something something think of the children", it's only natural to be put off and decide it's not for you.

It's the rational behavior. But the call for censorship has evolved with social network. People don't call for censorship but label the content "problematic" and go harass the company/editor. It sometimes leads to preemptive self-censorship by private companies behind close door until they understand that an internet mob on social network is just bunch of noname and should be ignored.
evan77

PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2022 3:25 pm Reply with quote
Electric Wooloo wrote:
evan77 wrote:

Sounds to me like you're mixing up criticism with censorship
"If you don't like it, don't watch it" is one of the weakest excuses anyone can give for a product. Generally people criticize something because they want it to be better. They air their thoughts and hear others to get a range of opinions and views to better understand the art/story/whatever. "Only people who love it should watch it" or similar arguments this season I've seen of "The person reviewing this series should be someone who likes it" creates just as stale and boring art as your strawman "Western" art.
It is better to say a little more clearly
People criticize this show only because they characters show their naked bodies
It has nothing to do with storytelling
people in the West hate and attack shows like this and mushoku tensei just because of sexist scenes.
evan77

PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2022 3:28 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
-"low quality of stories in the West" Yes as opposed to the high quality storytelling the anime industry brings out every season.
Even the poorest anime still has better stories than the West stories because, like the West, they do not include politics in the story

Quote:
-"Let creators to free" I agree with you there. You should also allow readers/watchers to be free to talk about the media they interact with, positively or negatively. Also why do you think people in Japan don't talk about things they do not like?
In Japan, people like in the West do not gossip about everything, they do not attack writers because of their sexual characters, they only support their favorite shows.
Electric Wooloo

PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2022 4:27 pm Reply with quote
evan77 wrote:
It is better to say a little more clearly
People criticize this show only because they characters show their naked bodies
It has nothing to do with storytelling
people in the West hate and attack shows like this and mushoku tensei just because of sexist scenes.

Yeah, they do. Because they don't like that in a coming of age story. Is it wrong for someone to not like something? To say why they don't like something? I don't like Mushoku Tensei. I don't care how good the character development is later if I have to sit through "Hehe, 5 year old groping boobies and panties" at the start.
And it does have to do with storytelling. Everything in anime and manga is put there purposefully. If something is shown in anime it was drawn for a purpose it was put there by the creators and becomes part of the world or story. Whether it's for the plot of the series or for purely for the viewer it's still a part of the story.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 3 of 6