• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Birdie Wing -Golf Girls' Story-

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Eternal Dragon Of ChaOZ

PostPosted: Sun May 14, 2023 7:02 pm Reply with quote
It's going to be an exciting finish for Aoi in this tournament.
Akcoll99

PostPosted: Sun May 21, 2023 5:48 pm Reply with quote
I love how even the small moments in this show come with a dollop of wonderful absurdity.

Golfer: "How did you know it was going to stop raining?"

Caddie: "Because I have a meteorologist license!"

[golf club drop]
Stelman257

PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2023 6:08 am Reply with quote
Quote:
Birdie Wing is telling kids that it's okay to be gay and do golf crimes, and that's so important for society.

Make this the front page review preview please
7777ale7777

PostPosted: Sun May 28, 2023 1:00 pm Reply with quote
Ok, so golf Char knew about Eve's existence and maybe he even knew what she looked like. After the cruise ship exploded or whatever maybe he read the ship's manifest and compared it with a list of the casualties and saw that Eve was unaccounted for. The question would be how did he know she was alive and well and in that brothel? Did he sense her golf pressure?
NeverConvex
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sun May 28, 2023 1:26 pm Reply with quote
7777ale7777 wrote:
The question would be how did he know she was alive and well and in that brothel? Did he sense her golf pressure?

Her golf dangan power is over 9,000!

How could he miss it?
ScruffyKiwi

PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2023 1:23 am Reply with quote
Some of the dialog is hilarious.

“It hurts! Your finger went in! Your finger went in, Eve!”

The script writer and the translators really had alot of fun with this one!
animefan1238

PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2023 9:25 pm Reply with quote
ScruffyKiwi wrote:
Some of the dialog is hilarious.

“It hurts! Your finger went in! Your finger went in, Eve!”

The script writer and the translators really had alot of fun with this one!

As Archer and company say, "Phrasing. Boom!"
Stelman257

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2023 10:25 am Reply with quote
Loved pretty much everything going into this second last episode, pleasantly surprised Juha managed to make an impression and fit in real well with this whacky golf world even with only 1 episode left now, and with now both lesbians finally front and center again.

Though just going back a bit, I do think it's a shame that Eve's backstory ended up being exactly what it was at face value, and the show didn't do anything extra spicy with it mafia or organized crime wise.
I remember the reviewer speculating that the golf mafia would've spiced up that backstory perfectly, if they had eventually revealed some type of violent rivalry between Arios and Athens, but unless they really cram something into the last episode, seemingly that didn't come to pass. Just something I felt worth pointing out, in an otherwise insanely fun ride of a show.
champeagle3

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2023 10:54 am Reply with quote
What an absolutely amazing series. I'm so sad it's almost over and am so very grateful the golf gods granted this to us.

Juha is just absolutely amazing character. Her presence just dominates the moment she shows up being the only "normal" one, which is terrific juxtaposition to the insane delicious melodrama we've feasted on all series long. I just finished rewatching S1 and 19 seconds into the series, there's her name on the top of the leaderboard while Eve is being all Mission Impossible for Chris Christina. The moon is always watching! Proof that Birdie Wing was always playing the long game.

I'm hopeful for a S3. A prequel would probably be a lot of fun too. One day, I'd love to see or go to a retrospective on Birdie Wing hosted by ANN and the creators and VAs. They have created something truly special. What an amazing journey it has been!
NeverConvex
Subscriber

PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2023 6:55 am Reply with quote
Man, I'm going to miss this show when it's gone. It took me several weeks of reading other people raving about it to give it a shot, but I'm glad I did. What an insane, bizarrely poignant ride (in a golf cart stolen from the golf mafia, of course).
TanyaTheEvil

PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2023 9:50 am Reply with quote
One of my favorite anime ever, I absolutely loved it and all the reviews done here. Has anyone notice on the last episode that Eve's golf ball spoiler[had 2 wings ong it]?
njprogfan
Collector Extraordinaire

PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2023 10:50 am Reply with quote
I enjoyed this wacky anime, maybe not Jonesing like our commentator, (sorry, I couldn't help myself) but it was one of the more entertaining nutjob of an original sports story and yeah, it'll stick around in my brainpan, coming out during Pride month.....(sorry, again....and, was it planned that way?). Looks like it would need an OVA to flesh out the ending, maybe at a hot springs golf course? Oh, the potential rainbows...
pi8you

PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2023 11:50 am Reply with quote
TanyaTheEvil wrote:
One of my favorite anime ever, I absolutely loved it and all the reviews done here. Has anyone notice on the last episode that Eve's golf ball spoiler[had 2 wings ong it]?

This show has had me paying way too much attention to golf ball designs, so I definitely caught and appreciated that upgrade (though they missed the opportunity for a winged Pac-Man) to her ball.

Gonna miss you Birdie Wing, you were one of a kind.
Helix91
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2023 12:05 pm Reply with quote
The issue with this final arc is that the golf has gotten more mundane, I would have loved to see a crazier escalation somehow. Compared to hitting drives between moving train cars, exploding prosthetic arms, and shifting underground golf courses, hitting 300 yard drives at the British Open is too normal.

It was still very fun, I still love the show overall, just a mild criticism of the finale.
darkchibi07

PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2023 12:37 pm Reply with quote
Helix91 wrote:
The issue with this final arc is that the golf has gotten more mundane, I would have loved to see a crazier escalation somehow. Compared to hitting drives between moving train cars, exploding prosthetic arms, and shifting underground golf courses, hitting 300 yard drives at the British Open is too normal.

It was still very fun, I still love the show overall, just a mild criticism of the finale.

You can pretty much apply that as one of the main criticisms for the 2nd cour of Birdie Wing as the golf and some of the girls' opponents were relatively normal compared what we've seen in the 1st cour. And frankly, this show wasn't a Bandai Namco Pictures animation powerhouse, and while they can get away from it during the silly, over-the-top moments, it becomes REALLY apparent during the more normal golf matches especially during Aoi's side. And not to mention, spoiler[where's my Eve and Aoi kissing scene!] Mad

With all that said, it's still worth a watch because it's such a treat seeing these girls go through this entire golf journey which then culminates to a double-wing golf ball get hit by a club that spews out rainbows! Surprised
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 9 of 10