• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: A Couple of Cuckoos

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
michizure

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2022 3:13 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
It's almost obscene how wealthy Erika's family is, ...

... which raises the question for me, how did these two families even wind up in the same hospital? It seems odd that Mrs. Amano wasn't off in a private maternity hospital somewhere, far out of the Umino's reach.

So far as I know, this was never mentioned nor examined in the source material, any more than the gender mix-up.
MFrontier

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2022 9:46 am Reply with quote
I see they wasted no time having Nagi see Erika naked. Although I'm glad she didn't punch him for it. And then we get more candid shots of Erika's legs and butt. But that scene of them with the hose was surprisingly well-animated and sweet.

I wasn't expecting Hiro to be so competitive, but it sets up her relationship with Nagi and her character more. I wonder if it's just her being competitive or if she's so focused on him because she's attracted to him. I love how her declaring herself his eternal rival just turns him on.

Doctor Erika!

We also get more development between Erika and Nagi where she's the first person to praise how hard he works in his studies. I'm kind of curious who she's trying to reach through her influencer status.
The Scream Man

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2022 10:27 am Reply with quote
....Is um... anyone still watching this? EVen the reviews have gone cold! Razz

Im curious about what being a shrine maiden entails and why it's a "burden?"
MFrontier

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2022 10:28 am Reply with quote
Erika playing wingwoman for Nagi is sweet even if it also means it isn't going to end well when she inevitably realizes she has feelings for Nagi.

I love how Erika will take any excuse to cosplay.

I feel like the show has done a surprisingly solid job of making both Erika and Hiro viable love interests for Nagi and for different reasons. Nagi and Hiro work well together because they're so similar while Nagi and Erika have great chemistry because they're so different.

I was not expecting to see Nagi lounging around in the buff, but okay. And then of course the girls show up.

Did Erika's dad set her up so she couldn't go home again? It seems kind of suspicious that her house is getting renovated at the same time Nagi's family had to move as well. Like they're deliberately trying to stick the two together.

I'm kind of amazed their plot to hide the fact that Nagi lived there actually worked. I wonder how long before Hiro finds out about it.

Gotta love how two girls feel like there's someone out there, goes inside with their wet, see-through, clothes, takes a shower, and then come out in nothing but towels. Good thing Nagi took care of the stalkers.

Erika and Hiro look great as shrine maidens.

Is Sachi ever going to get the spotlight at this rate? Feels like she's trailing behind the other girls on several levels.
The Scream Man wrote:
....Is um... anyone still watching this? EVen the reviews have gone cold! Razz

I read somewhere that only male priests can inherit a shrine, meaning that Hiro basically has to marry a male priest or someone willing to become one for the sake of her family.
The Scream Man

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2022 5:36 pm Reply with quote
MFrontier wrote:

I read somewhere that only male priests can inherit a shrine, meaning that Hiro basically has to marry a male priest or someone willing to become one for the sake of her family.[/quote]

Ah ok. Cheers!
MFrontier

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2022 9:57 am Reply with quote
I see Erika has succeeded Marin Kitagawa in terms of wearing stylish outfits and cosplaying practically every episode. She has also mastered rapid outfit changes.

It was nice to see all the build up and development of Hiro, but it felt like the show had kind of forgotten about Sachi, so I was glad to see her come back and now start living with them...which probably comes with its own set of hijinks. Meanwhile Nagi's put a hold on any development with Erika even though I don't think what she has to say is what he thinks it is.

I think that's the first time I've seen two female characters start talking (almost to the point of bragging) about the number of times they've been hit on.
Nom De Plume De Fanboy
Subscriber
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2022 10:54 am Reply with quote
Last scene in this ep. So now we have our hotel owning parent, Sōichirō Amano, holding a picture of himself and his wife holding ( maybe crazy spoiler )spoiler[ a pair of about one or two year old kids, that look like Nagi and Erika. Together. ] And he asks his employee, 'Do you know about cuckoos?' And the ep fades out on that scene.

Here's my wild speculation ( not a spoiler ): maybe both couples were getting invitro fertilized embryos at the same fertility clinic, and the embryos were switched there. The show's opening let people think the switch was at the maternity hospital, but maybe the big switch was earlier. And maybe, um, 'adjustments' were made later.

Now I'm really running on fumes, speculating. Maybe our rich parents were going for fraternal twins, decided to ignore the mistake, and keep the adorable orange haired girl, and meanwhile Nagi's embryo wound up with Namie Umino. Or maybe Nagi (wild guess ) spoiler[ had or has a brother somewhere. ] Or the rich folks put Nagi with the poor folks as a consolation prize, Rolling Eyes so they could keep the girl. Maybe Namie is in on it. Confused Rolling Eyes

Insane ideas, I guess, but anime specializes in insane ideas, so what else is new? To me that scene with the picture is like a Chekov's Gun; it has to be there for a reason. But the possible reasons are all kinda crazy. Confused
MFrontier

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2022 12:42 pm Reply with quote
It's ironic that Erika and Sachi both think the other sister would be a better fit for Nagi, although Sachi is more frustrated by it. I think it's definitely clearer now that she views him as more than just a brother even if Nagi only sees her as his little sister.

It's got to be weird to have a high class dinner with some middle aged hotel tycoon who raised your biological sister and is the biological father of the brother you were raised with.

I loved Erika's translucent skirt.

There's a lot to unpack about the implications of that photo.
Akcoll99

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2022 2:06 pm Reply with quote
Nom De Plume De Fanboy wrote:
Last scene in this ep. So now we have our hotel owning parent, Sōichirō Amano, holding a picture of himself and his wife holding ( maybe crazy spoiler )spoiler[ a pair of about one or two year old kids, that look like Nagi and Erika. Together. ] And he asks his employee, 'Do you know about cuckoos?' And the ep fades out on that scene.

Here's my wild speculation ( not a spoiler ): maybe both couples were getting invitro fertilized embryos at the same fertility clinic, and the embryos were switched there. The show's opening let people think the switch was at the maternity hospital, but maybe the big switch was earlier. And maybe, um, 'adjustments' were made later.

Now I'm really running on fumes, speculating. Maybe our rich parents were going for fraternal twins, decided to ignore the mistake, and keep the adorable orange haired girl, and meanwhile Nagi's embryo wound up with Namie Umino. Or maybe Nagi (wild guess ) spoiler[ had or has a brother somewhere. ] Or the rich folks put Nagi with the poor folks as a consolation prize, Rolling Eyes so they could keep the girl. Maybe Namie is in on it. Confused Rolling Eyes

Insane ideas, I guess, but anime specializes in insane ideas, so what else is new? To me that scene with the picture is like a Chekov's Gun; it has to be there for a reason. But the possible reasons are all kinda crazy. Confused

I haven't read the source manga, but from what I have read online, the picture is spoiler[of Erika's older brother, i.e. Nagi's genetic older brother. He's the one Erika "has been trying to reach" with her social media posts. His exact status and whereabouts have not yet been revealed in the manga either.] I'm not sure about how much the parents knew prior to the recent acknowledgement of the switch of the two babies at birth, but just to me, it seems odd to expect a boy and go home with a girl, and vice versa, and to not notice or wonder about it...

Comments from others online have also led me to believe we're in for a wild ride from here on out with revelations and plot twists...
Nom De Plume De Fanboy
Subscriber
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2022 9:12 pm Reply with quote
^Akcoll99, thanks. A lot to look forward to.
MFrontier

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2022 11:51 am Reply with quote
Did Nagi and Sachi actually kiss? I was kind of confused as to whether they just got that close or if their lips actually touched. I feel like they'd have made it an even bigger deal if it was an actual kiss.

Either way Sachi's feelings for Nagi are even more clear now, as the other girls' feelings/appreciation for Nagi continue to grow. I'm expecting some chaos in the future.

Also, please teach me about the heart of a woman, Erika-sensei!
Blanchimont

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2022 8:55 am Reply with quote
As someone who's kept up with the manga I was pretty confounded when so many people anticipated it to be the next ToraDora after the first episode. By now it should be clear to everyone and their granny it's not Smile .
Yes, I know it's a bad habit of not having a habit of dropping a manga. Thank god I never started Rent-A-Girlfriend...
joemuszynski

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2022 9:07 am Reply with quote
A negative reviewer who doesn’t like the show being reviewed. Ugh. What’s the point?
TarsTarkas

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2022 10:16 am Reply with quote
XR250rdr wrote:
Vaisaga wrote:
Zhou-BR wrote:
Yeah, rather than Toradora, it's Nisekoi this show reminds me of, down to the fact that the male protagonist is already in love with another girl, who I'm pretty sure will "lose" to the female protagonist in the end.

Toradora was also exactly like that.

I'm probably the only person who hated Toradora's ending so I'm hoping this show turns out more like Nisekoi's ending instead.

You aren't alone. I didn't care for Toradora's ending either.

I get much more of Nisekoi vibes as well.

Taiga Aisaka and Ryūji Takasu get together at the end. They had their happy ending. Yeah, Minori lost out. It is the stuff of songs, like "The Winner Takes It All". Somebody had to lose, and I don't want all my anime to have harem endings
Kiskaloo
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2022 12:55 pm Reply with quote
joemuszynski wrote:
A negative reviewer who doesn’t like the show being reviewed. Ugh. What’s the point?

The first 8 episodes were each graded 4 out of 5 stars. It was only with Episode 9 that they started to sour on it and, frankly, so did I.

I found the first two-thirds interesting enough, but the last third has been a slog for me and with it now only crossing the half-way point, I don't feel any motivation to stay with it so I am dropping it. I'll check in with the weekly reviews and if it gets better again, I can always come back.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 2 of 5