• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
RWBY: Then vs. Now

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ThatGuyWhoLikesThings

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2022 12:42 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
A. not lying to comrades was supposed to be the big takeaway from Volume 6,

They directly address this. Ruby herself struggles with her decision for the whole volume and worries about whether she's no different from Oz. Several of her friends and allies agree or disagree with her decision. Qrow assures her that what she's doing is different from Oz, because Oz never had any intention of telling anyone the full truth, while Ruby is at least waiting to see if someone with Ironwood's personality can be trusted to handle such sensitive and serious information (Qrow himself literally fell into a near suicidal depression when he learned the truth). Yang believes it's only fair for him to know everything before making big decisions, like they did. Blake trusts Ruby's judgement. Oscar voices his discomfort. The narrative never says Ruby is in the right for her choice, just giving us reasons for why doing so is understandable from her perspective. Because, you know, she doesn't really *know* Ironwood very well. Meanwhile, Qrow, Weiss, Pietro, people that *do* know him very well, express concern about him and his actions. It's called character development. Ruby is learning about the difficult decisions a leader has to make, and they may not necessarily be all the right ones! And they do actually tell him once they've decided that he can be trusted, even if that doesn't last long. If they didn't force the info out of Oz, he never would've told them.

And, in Volume 8, when Oz makes his return, they admit that his stance was not entirely unreasonable. "Trust is a risk", they say. They understood the difficult position he was in, because they were just *in* that position, and are willing to give him another chance because of it.

So no, "lying bad" was not the big takeaway. Or at least, that's not all there was to it. Not everything has immediate payoff. In fact, most things in RWBY dont

Quote:
Ironwood hasn't given much of a reason for them to not trust him.

I'm sorry, but if nothing about Ironwood's actions and behavior throughout the entire series communicated to you that may not be entirely trustworthy, I don't know what to tell you. There are a thousand potential reasons to be wary of someone who is not intentionally decieving you or is decent to you specifically. Ironwood is a paranoid authoritarian who is shown repeatedly to strongarm people who don't agree with him. He disregards the lower-class citizens of his kingdom (and neglecting to have their security updated is exactly how the villains get in) and is either blind to or considers the consequences his well-intentioned actions have on them justified. He has his good points, certainly, but he's not an overall good person, and only gets worse as he succumbs to pressure and fear.

I agree with some things in the article. disagree with most of them, but this is a talking point I see often and it's incredible how much of it stems from an inability or unwillingness to engage with the material in any meaningful sense, all to defend the military dudebro

That being said, I won't be responding to replies to this because I've been in this discussion more times than I can count and I already have a headache lol. This discourse has been poisoned for years but I felt compelled to get my piece out anyway

Last edited by ThatGuyWhoLikesThings on Fri Jul 08, 2022 1:30 pm; edited 3 times in total
everydaygamer

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2022 1:05 pm Reply with quote
ThatGuyWhoLikesThings wrote:
Quote:
A. not lying to comrades was supposed to be the big takeaway from Volume 6,

They directly address this. Ruby herself struggles with her decision for the whole volume and worries about whether she's no different from Oz. Several of her friends and allies agree or disagree with her decision. Qrow assures her that what she's doing is different from Oz, because Oz never had any intention of telling anyone the full truth, while Ruby is at least waiting to see if someone with Ironwood's personality can be trusted to handle such sensitive and serious information (Qrow himself literally fell into a near suicidal depression when he learned the truth). Yang believes it's only fair for him to know everything before making big decisions, like they did. The narrative never says Ruby is in the right for her choice, just giving us reasons for why doing so is understandable from her perspective. Because, you know, she doesn't really *know* Ironwood very well. Meanwhile, Qrow, Weiss, Pietro, people that *do* know him very well, express concern about him and his actions. It's called character development. Ruby is learning about the difficult decisions a leader has to make, and they may not necessarily be all the right ones!

And, in Volume 8, when Oz makes his return, they admit that his stance was not entirely unreasonable. "Trust is a risk", they say. They understood the difficult position he was in, because they were just *in* that position, and are willing to give him another chance because of it.

So no, "lying bad" was not the big takeaway. Or at least, that's not all there was to it. Not everything has immediate payoff. In fact, most things in RWBY dont

Quote:
Ironwood hasn't given much of a reason for them to not trust him.

I'm sorry, but if nothing about Ironwood's actions and behavior throughout the entire series communicated to you that may not be entirely trustworthy, I don't know what to tell you. There are a thousand potential reasons to be wary of someone who is not intentionally decieving you or is decent to you specifically. Ironwood is a paranoid authoritarian who is shown repeatedly to strongarm people who don't agree with him. He disregards the lower-class citizens of his kingdom (and neglecting to have their security updated is exactly how the villains get in) and is either blind to or considers the consequences his well-intentioned actions have on them justified. He has his good points, certainly, but he's not an overall good person, and only gets worse as he succumbs to pressure and fear.

I agree with some things in the article. disagree with most of them, but this is a talking point I see often and it's incredible how much of it stems from an inability or unwillingness to engage with the material in any meaningful sense, all to defend the military dudebro

That being said, I won't be responding to replies to this because I've been in this discussion more times than I can count and I already have a headache lol

I'm pretty much on the same page. The choices the characters make aren't meant to be easy nor is there nescesarrily a 100% correct answer but I do feel the show clearly explains why the characters make the choices they do.
Mune

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2022 3:10 pm Reply with quote
To me, the story seemed a bit more easy going in the earlier volumes, even though death was always at an arms length (the whole reason for Beacon to teach and train). At the same time, it felt like the characters could still be teenagers.

About halfway through, it became apparent that not everyone saw it as a beacon of hope against the grimm. Death, destruction, and loss had come to the forefront of the story. This was a turning point, more of a coming of age story, when characters are reintroduced to their pasts, what drives them, and what they need to do to survive.

However, starting in volume 7, it felt like the tone changed a bit, which characters getting changes to their designs (hairstyles and clothes). It just felt off to me. The characters were given the right act as adults with their licenses. This is a far cry from season 1's Ruby being interrogated and her eating cookies. Things have clearly changed in the story, but so have the characters. They feel like their growing, with some of them confronting their pasts, and others figuring out who they are and what convictions they stand by.

I do enjoy RWBY and have done so since it first launched, but I clearly hear the critics. I've heard that it went downhill after volume 2. Some say after volume 4. Others say volume 5. I don't think I've heard of the show getting better though. My guess is the haters are just more in number or louder than those praising it.

I cannot wait for volume 9.
blooperboy

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2022 4:30 pm Reply with quote
Just a quick editorial note -
Quote:
Nothing Ironwood has done warrants deception on their part, and almost everything that goes wrong in this volume can be traced back to them not telling Ironwood the truce.

'Truce' should be 'truth.'
whiskeyii

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2022 8:54 pm Reply with quote
I actually agree with more than I disagree with in this article, but I think it misses two key points. The first is that, as other posters have mentioned, Team RWBY was actually shown evidence prior to their arrival in Atlas that James was overstepping his bounds: for example, in Vol 4, Weiss overhears him declaring a trade embargo he technically has no right to and only seemingly gets away with because he's well-liked at the time. And the audience kinda gave him a free pass too because the person he's talking to is Weiss' no-good, very bad jerk of a father.

The second is that, while you seem to have cottoned onto the Penny = Pinocchio allegory, I think it's pretty clear that Penny's story is not about her "becoming a real girl". If you rewatch Vols 7 and 8 together, you'll notice that the only people who ever deny Penny's humanity by calling her a tool or a robot are the villains--she's essentially already been recognized both by the narrative and the heroes as "human". Instead, what Vol 8 culminates in is the cutting of Pinocchio's strings--by retaining her robotic parts, Penny's still subject to the whims and desires of others, and even when they mean well, even the people who love her tell Penny to do things she doesn't want to (see Pietro's talk with her and Ruby advising Penny to go hide.)

When Penny gains a fully human body, the show very deliberately has the characters reinforce that she "has always been a girl", so I think the show is trying to hang a neon sign around how they're separating "human body" from "humanity" and trying to grant Penny complete bodily autonomy via the former even while reaffirming that she has always had the latter. I don't think it was an accidental to have her ignore Weiss shouting "Penny, no!"; that felt like a very deliberate contrast, given how much people had been dictating her previous behavior. (And the very spoilery dialogue in the finale about "making choices" seems to reinforce that theme to me.)
LuScr

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2022 9:24 pm Reply with quote
I'm not that heavily involved with the RWBY fandom, but I believe it's pretty universally agreed that a major dividing line was the death of creator Monty Oum after Volume 2.

The series changed substantially after that, in ways that it wouldn't have if he had still been around.
Sabruness

PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2022 5:41 am Reply with quote
LuScr wrote:
I'm not that heavily involved with the RWBY fandom, but I believe it's pretty universally agreed that a major dividing line was the death of creator Monty Oum after Volume 2.

The series changed substantially after that, in ways that it wouldn't have if he had still been around.

Yeah, Monty's unfortunate loss really i think took the spark that RWBY was built on. Vol 3 was still pretty awesome, probably because Monty did have a hand in it before his passing, but you could really feel the... drastic change in vibe/style/whatever-you-want-to-call-it from Vol 4 onwards (which i never finished and thus dropped).

I came to RWBY from RvB and loved it because it had the same kinda wackiness and eclectic mix of elements that Monty brought to Seasons 8, 9 and 10 of RvB and which, arguably, set the foundation for the awesome fight seasons of vols 1 and 2 of RWBY.
TdFern 87

PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2022 4:30 pm Reply with quote
Sabruness wrote:
LuScr wrote:

Yeah, Monty's unfortunate loss really i think took the spark that RWBY was built on. Vol 3 was still pretty awesome, probably because Monty did have a hand in it before his passing, but you could really feel the... drastic change in vibe/style/whatever-you-want-to-call-it from Vol 4 onwards (which i never finished and thus dropped).

I came to RWBY from RvB and loved it because it had the same kinda wackiness and eclectic mix of elements that Monty brought to Seasons 8, 9 and 10 of RvB and which, arguably, set the foundation for the awesome fight seasons of vols 1 and 2 of RWBY.

I am kind of surprised the guy who was speaking in the video, and typing the article here, never made a mentioning once about Monty Oum and his influence he had on the show and his death really set a departure for the show and its well everything. However I understand why he didn't say all that he didn't want to name 'names' or blame a individual or company i.e. Rooster Teeth. So he wants to make it neutral and probably not to biased.
Connor Dino

PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2022 10:26 pm Reply with quote
Great video. I would also recommend people watch hbomberguys' "RWBY is disappointing (and here's why)" for a deeper analysis of the problems with the show.
dm
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2022 10:22 am Reply with quote
I'm still watching RWBY, but I do think this video and hbomberguy's analysis have a lot of valid criticisms. I just put it down to the series being written by just-a-bit-above amateur writers, with a decent amount of machinema talent (particularly the fight choreography in the Monty Oum days of the series).

The early seasons of RWBY held a lot of promise. The later seasons have set up a lot of open-ended puzzles that I look forward to seeing where the story goes. Still, odds and ends of the story could be better.

I think it will be interesting to see what Shaft does with the story elements.
Issac Sarrowtail

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2022 5:15 pm Reply with quote
I will be blunt, I have been a long time critic of RWBY's narrative direction (or lack their of) for quite some time now. While I do agree with your points, I have also point of that none of the narrative shifts that RWBY has made, are in a vacuum... There are two huge things that leaves the series somewhat aimless.

The Loss of Monty Oum, RWBY's creator.
The writing staff of Roster Teeth, being left to its own devices with a fanbase that is 'loud'.

This has been one of those series that my pals assumed was "great entertainment" and I questioned it from the start. The big reason, the first two volumes kind of felt like dragon ball to me. I am convinced that the feeling I had was deliberate, given that Monty was a big fan of the series. Unfortunately, he copied a lot of errors in doing that. He could build out of it but it just seems a little 'colouring by the numbers' to me before he could get over it....

Then Volume 3 happened and in the middle of it, he died.

Originally, I assumed that Monty was the guy saying 'no' to a lot of ideas. Mostly out of his own creative vision but still, alot of directives to what he wanted. If that was true, then it end up being a good thing... I can't say that I am enthused with the writing direction from Volume 4 onward because it feels... fan-fic like. Alot of ideas, alot of set-up with nothing to really ground it, and no real payoff. The series has limped along ever since, I dipped out at Volume 4 because of what they seemed to want to do with Jaune after Volume 3 (plus I really enjoyed the somewhat sappy little love sub-plot between him and Pyrrhaspoiler[, her death marks an end in my enjoyment]). My friends (save one) quit some time after that.

It seemed to me that Rooster Teeth was going to what ever it wanted with the idea's and setting that Monty left after sorting through his death. A majority of that was a grab bag of things that the Fandom wanted to see. There is good and bad to that depending on how much of developed beyond the simple requests of a loud fanbase. It didn't seem like much of that was going on.
I am not sure how this all ends but it will have to at some point. Give that my own concerns still stand after 5 volumes is telling. I am not sure the end will be pretty.
dm wrote:
I think it will be interesting to see what Shaft does with the story elements.

I don't know, I am trying to watch Ice Queendom but it only seems to reinforce why I left.

You know, this feels alot like the Sailor Moon Franchise to me. With Sailor Moon, I saw the 90's anime first. It's left a rather large imprint, and I could never really get into the Manga (it's a little too shoujo, if that makes any sense). Crystal comes along and one thing to me seems to stand out... for all it's faults (and their are many) I like the 90's anime alot more than the manga-insipred Crystal. The reasoning that I came to for that was time... The 90's anime had alot more time to establish things/characters, take the manga-source and rewrite element. Most times for the better, some times for the worse.

The problem that I feel that Ice Queendom will run into is that as much as I enjoyed Volumes 1-2... They are not good entertainment to me. It's alot of popcorn to me. Charming, fun but a bit... empty. It need more to be sustainable. I am not sure the degree to which Studio Shaft can do as they please with the setting, the characters and so on. Still given that, I do wonder if it steps out of its own shadow here but I am realistic in thinking that it likely won't.
DriveByNevermore

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2022 10:09 pm Reply with quote
Issac Sarrowtail wrote:
Originally, I assumed that Monty was the guy saying 'no' to a lot of ideas. Mostly out of his own creative vision but still, alot of directives to what he wanted. If that was true, then it end up being a good thing... I can't say that I am enthused with the writing direction from Volume 4 onward because it feels... fan-fic like.

I literally only registered to tell you that this is the most hilarious [expletive] thing I have ever read in my entire life.

Monty Oum... the guy who did Dead Fantasy... the guy who came up with the Maidens halfway into writing a season... the guy who made Remnant's map by squirting ketchup on a napkin... yeah, that guy was definitely the voice of restraint from holding back the "fanfic-like" feel. Makes mucho sense.

You can tell that The Great Oum has truly become a deity, because he now holds the exact opinions of whoever's invoking him at the time, it seems.
everydaygamer

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2022 11:29 pm Reply with quote
Issac Sarrowtail wrote:

The problem that I feel that Ice Queendom will run into is that as much as I enjoyed Volumes 1-2... They are not good entertainment to me. It's alot of popcorn to me. Charming, fun but a bit... empty. It need more to be sustainable. I am not sure the degree to which Studio Shaft can do as they please with the setting, the characters and so on. Still given that, I do wonder if it steps out of its own shadow here but I am realistic in thinking that it likely won't.

Keep in mind it’s going to be mostly an original story. The first 3 episodes were just to provide context to new viewers. The only restriction shaft has is that they can’t contradict established canon, for the most part, there were obviously some allowances for the first 3 episodes.
dm
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2022 9:53 am Reply with quote
"Animated fan-fiction" isn't too far from my own assessment of RWBY from the beginning.

But, you know, fan-fiction is its own pleasure, and they've done a fine job of creating an interesting world and interesting characters. Not everything they do with them succeeds, but it works okay for me.

And there are writers who got their start in fan-fiction, who have matured into doing great things.
Issac Sarrowtail

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2022 4:18 pm Reply with quote
everydaygamer wrote:

Keep in mind it’s going to be mostly an original story. The first 3 episodes were just to provide context to new viewers. The only restriction shaft has is that they can’t contradict established canon, for the most part, there were obviously some allowances for the first 3 episodes.

Honestly, that is the thing that I am most worried about because the canon as it stands isn't good. If RWBY is to improve, I feel that glass has to be broken on what was already established because if they don't, Ice Queendom is going to tell the same story as RWBY proper and that story is grasping at straws.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1