• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Tokyo Mew Mew New

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
NeoStrayCat

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2022 9:16 pm Reply with quote
mgree0032 wrote:
Is Erica Schroeder reprising her role as Mew Lettuce when the English dub comes out?

Nothing has been said yet about a dub happening outside of that tweet poll HiDive made that the majority said "yes" for/to. That is up to Sentai/HiDive to decide if a dub for TMM New get's green-lighted.

However, from what I've read/heard in certain socials I check often that she would like to come back to TMM if the demand is there. (And the possible chance she could reprise her character.)
MFrontier

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2022 9:36 am Reply with quote
Who knew being a cat would mean making great progress in your love life?

Ryo and Aoyama sure hit it off...not!

It's nice to see how much Ichigo's team cares about and depends on her.

I love how the cliffhanger wasn't the giant pollution bomb at Tokyo Tower but how Ichigo is going to get away from Aoyama and out of his room while he's sleeping on her thigh.
elior1

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2022 12:17 am Reply with quote
to the one who doing the tokyo mew mew reviews. it not rushed at all since it not the aliens final plan. there is many of things left to cover about the aliens and mew aqua after that battle. at least another 13 episodes contest if there will be second cour
NeoStrayCat

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2022 1:22 am Reply with quote
elior1 wrote:
to the one who doing the tokyo mew mew reviews. it not rushed at all since it not the aliens final plan. there is many of things left to cover about the aliens and mew aqua after that battle. at least another 13 episodes contest if there will be second cour

Yeah, I've already mentioned here previously that its mostly going to end up being a season finale since those remembering the manga and the original anime know that it ending on the Tokyo Tower fight is just the halfway point. And that a second season is more than likely to happen, considering the main villian has yet to appear and some other plot points that they'll include from both the manga and OG anime for reference along with possibly some original content for the pacing.
elior1

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2022 1:35 am Reply with quote
NeoStrayCat wrote:
elior1 wrote:

Yeah, I've already mentioned here previously that its mostly going to end up being a season finale since those remembering the manga and the original anime know that it ending on the Tokyo Tower fight is just the halfway point. And that a second season is more than likely to happen, considering the main villian has yet to appear and some other plot points that they'll include from both the manga and OG anime for reference along with possibly some original content for the pacing.
yes and also the aftermath of the tokyo tower fight is going to be important. did you always predicted that character who will always aid ichigo is going to appear in the last episode of the season?
SHD

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2022 5:10 am Reply with quote
elior1 wrote:

The reason why people are confused is that a second cour or season hasn't been announced yet, as far as I'm aware. So if there's no second cour/season then this is going to be a finale, regardless of the manga's story.

Anyway, as far as I'm concerned I'm also creeped out by the whole bell thing, not really because of the ownership aspect, but it's just overall creepy and patronizing IMO. Like, yes, cat, it's a thing in this show, I know. But Ichigo is still a human girl. If someone I fancied gave me a bell on a collar, and told me to wear it so that I'd be their "cat", even teenage me would "GTFO you creep". (And this is coming from someone who used to pretend to be a dog, collar and all, and play fetch as a child Anime smile + sweatdrop ) This is an overall thing with Aoyama, like in this episode when he gives his hoodie to Ichigo and goes "if you were a cat I could take you home like this" - what? Excuse me???

I know there's probably nothing behind this, just the usual sloppy writing (let's face it, even in the manga TMM is not well-written, and the anime is not improving on it at all, as this episode demonstrates). It's meant to be romantic while working in various aspects of the characters, but it's done so badly it just ends up weird. Like, Aoyama blushing around Ichigo and barely being able to talk to her in one moment, and then doing the "sexy assertive male romantic interest" thing in the next one, this is wtf spoiler[even taking into consideration future plot twists].

But yes, this episode was just terribly written all around, with the effect of Ichigo's absence being over-emphasized in hilaribad ways - "hm, no Mew Aqua here. Oh Ichigo! you're so important to me, and I'm so worried about you!" Who wrote this, a ten year old? Anime smile + sweatdrop But, bad writing aside, this is why I preferred for example the anime for Sailor Moon, manga purists can go on about fillers and how this and that were different, but the anime did absolute wonders establishing characterization, character and group dynamics, etc. I haven't seen the old TMM anime, but this new one really should have benefited from something like that...

On the plus side, Nakamura Yuuichi's "doumo~" when Ryou and Aoyama met was so good, I kept replaying it. Very Happy
elior1

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2022 5:19 am Reply with quote
SHD wrote:
elior1 wrote:

The reason why people are confused is that a second cour or season hasn't been announced yet, as far as I'm aware. So if there's no second cour/season then this is going to be a finale, regardless of the manga's story.

Anyway, as far as I'm concerned I'm also creeped out by the whole bell thing, not really because of the ownership aspect, but it's just overall creepy and patronizing IMO. Like, yes, cat, it's a thing in this show, I know. But Ichigo is still a human girl. If someone I fancied gave me a bell on a collar, and told me to wear it so that I'd be their "cat", even teenage me would "GTFO you creep". (And this is coming from someone who used to pretend to be a dog, collar and all, and play fetch as a child Anime smile + sweatdrop ) This is an overall thing with Aoyama, like in this episode when he gives his hoodie to Ichigo and goes "if you were a cat I could take you home like this" - what? Excuse me???

I know there's probably nothing behind this, just the usual sloppy writing (let's face it, even in the manga TMM is not well-written, and the anime is not improving on it at all, as this episode demonstrates). It's meant to be romantic while working in various aspects of the characters, but it's done so badly it just ends up weird. Like, Aoyama blushing around Ichigo and barely being able to talk to her in one moment, and then doing the "sexy assertive male romantic interest" thing in the next one, this is wtf spoiler[even taking into consideration future plot twists].

But yes, this episode was just terribly written all around, with the effect of Ichigo's absence being over-emphasized in hilaribad ways - "hm, no Mew Aqua here. Oh Ichigo! you're so important to me, and I'm so worried about you!" Who wrote this, a ten year old? Anime smile + sweatdrop But, bad writing aside, this is why I preferred for example the anime for Sailor Moon, manga purists can go on about fillers and how this and that were different, but the anime did absolute wonders establishing characterization, character and group dynamics, etc. I haven't seen the old TMM anime, but this new one really should have benefited from something like that...

On the plus side, Nakamura Yuuichi's "doumo~" when Ryou and Aoyama met was so good, I kept replaying it. Very Happy
i agree with most about bad writing. what i liked about it mostly is of course the set up to the season finale. but as you know most of the times season 2 or second cour announcements coming after credits of the last episode most of the times
Princess_Irene
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2022 6:14 am Reply with quote
elior1 wrote:
i agree with most about bad writing. what i liked about it mostly is of course the set up to the season finale. but as you know most of the times season 2 or second cour announcements coming after credits of the last episode most of the times

That's what I'm counting on, frankly. But since it hasn't been announced, I have to write the reviews with the available information. I realize this can come off as me not being familiar with the source material, but I promise you that I am - I've got all of the books on my shelves. Smile
NeoStrayCat

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2022 12:50 pm Reply with quote
elior1 wrote:
yes and also the aftermath of the tokyo tower fight is going to be important. did you always predicted that character who will always aid ichigo is going to appear in the last episode of the season?

Not saying that I'm predicting it, but most TMM fans who have already read the manga and watched the original anime (including myself) are expecting that "he" might show up towards the last episode of the season, but given the way "New" has went with the pacing lately, who knows if it might happen.
elior1

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2022 3:42 pm Reply with quote
Princess_Irene wrote:
elior1 wrote:

That's what I'm counting on, frankly. But since it hasn't been announced, I have to write the reviews with the available information. I realize this can come off as me not being familiar with the source material, but I promise you that I am - I've got all of the books on my shelves. Smile
yes we still have to see the final villain who only show up during the end in the original and the one who will aid her later also few things about mew aqua
elior1

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2022 3:43 pm Reply with quote
NeoStrayCat wrote:
elior1 wrote:

Not saying that I'm predicting it, but most TMM fans who have already read the manga and watched the original anime (including myself) are expecting that "he" might show up towards the last episode of the season, but given the way "New" has went with the pacing lately, who knows if it might happen.
from what i remember from the manga he apeared after the tokyo tower fight and since "new" follow the manga mostly then it will happen after the fight and not during like in the original
Saeryen

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2022 3:55 pm Reply with quote
I feel like I'm the only vocal one here who is really enjoying this anime.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
MFrontier

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2022 4:57 pm Reply with quote
So now Ichigo has kissed four people...Aoyama, Kish, Aoyama's dog, and now Ryo as a cat (because that was totally him, the ED basically gives it away).

It was nice to see the team fending off the Chimera Anima and rallying when Ichigo showed up. Mint and Zakuro got to have a nice moment.

Also that scene of Mint running across rooftops to get to Tokyo Tower while the instrumental Opening plays was a surprisingly well executed scene.
SHD

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2022 4:13 am Reply with quote
Saeryen wrote:

I enjoy the show for what it is, but let's not pretend it's well-written. Anime smile + sweatdrop Then again, as far as I'm concerned the manga is not very good either, it has its charm but it's not what I'd call "A tier". (Doesn't mean it can't be enjoyable or loveable or anyone's favorite!)
Saeryen

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2022 11:53 am Reply with quote
SHD wrote:
Saeryen wrote:

I enjoy the show for what it is, but let's not pretend it's well-written. Anime smile + sweatdrop Then again, as far as I'm concerned the manga is not very good either, it has its charm but it's not what I'd call "A tier". (Doesn't mean it can't be enjoyable or loveable or anyone's favorite!)

I don’t have to “pretend” it’s well-written since that’s a matter of opinion. Personally I like the writing, and all the characters. This may be my anime of the season.

I’m not trying to belittle your opinion, because it’s yours and that’s just fine. I just don’t think it’s very nice to see someone saying “I really like this” and say “ok but objectively it’s not very good.”
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 5 of 6