• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
My Love Story With Yamada-kun at Lv999 (TV) (w/ index).

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Edjwald

PostPosted: Sat Jun 24, 2023 3:22 pm Reply with quote
You're being way too harsh there, Smurky. I think Yamada and Akane have a lot of great qualities.

There's Akane's utter fearlessness in the face of looming alcoholism....

Yamada's ability to pack hours of meaningful conversation into a single, blank-faced, eloquent "uhhhhhh,......

No, seriously, I've already said where I think the series took a wrong turn that had a serious negative impact, so I won't go into it again. I will say that I have rarely wished this hard that I could edit an anime though. I went from being enthusiastic to liking it well enough.

I like the visual atmosphere - the fluorescent or bubbly or sparkly backgrounds at key moments. I like the guild, and Momo, and Tsubaki...almost all of the supporting characters except for the douchebag ex boyfriend, honestly. I like the unpredictability and the driving idea if not always the execution of it. I like Akane even if some of her repeated behaviors make me worry about her future (How many times did she pass out on a public street in this anime?).

So there's that.
smurky turkey

PostPosted: Sat Jun 24, 2023 3:47 pm Reply with quote
Huh, now that you mention it, she does tend to fumble a lot on the ground, be it from alcohol or an extreme cold. The ironic thing is, if I look at what I like about the series and what you like, then I would have liked the show a lot more with no romance and the mains being not in the series while the guild and the supporting characters take the center stage... though, at that point it is basically a slice of life series about a game guild.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Sat Jun 24, 2023 6:27 pm Reply with quote
Episode 13

Actually, this show ended reasonably well for me. I liked how Tsubaki's rejection was handled. She, along with the rest of us, knew how it was going to go but she genuinely seemed happier for, as she said, getting it off her chest. I get the sense she'll be fine. Frankly, I think she'd be a better match for Yamada than Hot Mess Girl, but as we all know there is rarely a strong correlation between love and common sense.

Runa got a big chuckle from me when she matter-of-factly told Yamada that he could just leave Akane on the restroom floor like she did if she became too much trouble.

I ended up rating this show as Good. Yes, both leads exasperated me at times, but at the end of the day I found the show to be pretty enjoyable. And don't worry, Momo... you don't have to be single... you can be my waifu!
ACxS

PostPosted: Sun Jun 25, 2023 3:37 am Reply with quote
Final:

6.5/10.

It's a nice show. Or, it's a show that I don't have anything to hate in particular. Rom-com are usually like that for me, and I will admit: I do enjoy Akane's character a lot. She is clearly the ditzy but kind-hearted female character archetype, but unless she has characteristic traits that grate on my nerves, her type of character are usually likable.

The only problem I have with this show is the whole missed opportunity thing. Rom-com shows rarely try to go something different, and just prefer to stick to the usual tropes and play it safe. This show is no different; it's the quintessential rom-com anime. Perhaps what bothers me the most is how there was a glaring opportunity to go deeper with the character development—YES, I'm talking about Yamada's back story—but chooses not to. Is he psychopathic? Is he autistic? Is he emotionally inept? Or is he just an asshole? We got some ideas on where he stands along the way, but in the end, it doesn't really matter much because he falls for Akane, which is what we eventually wanted to see anyway. The final scene gave another glimpse into Yamada's train of thought, and possibly, a reminder of just how far he has come in becoming more empathetic since bumping into Akane for the first time.

At least I will give it to the show: there are some very nicely done scenes throughout the show, with several in the final episode i.e. Yamada's talk with Tsubaki, Yamada and Akane at the corridor, and that final scene. The show still works in the end, and I appreciate that. On a good day, I would give it a 7/10.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2023 5:35 am Reply with quote
I went with Good (7/10) also.
Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2023 10:54 am Reply with quote
Original discussion started here.

Episode 13: In the Morning When I Wake Up

Summary: Pending

Comments: Pending

Screen Caps:

Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8
Page 8 of 8