• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
My Love Story With Yamada-kun at Lv999 (TV) (w/ index).

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Edjwald

PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2023 4:09 am Reply with quote
ACxS wrote:
Tsubaki is guarded, cautious and is afraid to take the first step. Akane always lets her guard down and clueless but she is becoming more proactive. Not only is Tsubaki afraid, but she keeps her feelings bottled up. Akane is opening up with the people around her.

I don't know if Eita picked up this difference between Akane and Tsubaki and tries to fix something up. Maybe he will.

I agree on the dynamic with Akane and Tsubaki.

I'm a little unclear on how perceptive Eita is. Sometimes it seems like he has a high EQ, and sometimes it seems like he's only perceptive in comparison to Yamada, who's basically an anvil that somehow evolved verbal capabilities and working limbs.

In a way, Yamada and Eita have the same kind of polar opposite thing going on that Akane and Tsubaki do.

On a side note, I'd be fine if the anime took a radical turn and Tsubaki and Akane hooked up at this point. This show has sort of moved into a Tomo-Chan is a Girl zone for me, at least in the sense that I like the show, but worrying about whether the male and female lead will hook up is the least part of that equation.

(Still holding out for that Carol chan and Gundou spin-off)
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2023 8:47 am Reply with quote
@ Edjwald - um, Akane x Tsubaki? What are you, some kind of perverse freak???

Clearly, Momo is best girl, geez. Wink

Have you forgotten her Night Butterfly nail artistry already???
smurky turkey

PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2023 11:07 am Reply with quote
Real talk though, unless Yamada changes drastically due to the power of love, I find it very hard to believe that he can maintain a healthy relationship. In that sense I almost pity the girl who ends up winning. Tsubaki even seems painfully aware of that fact.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2023 2:04 pm Reply with quote
And by "changes drastically," I assume you mean, "stops being a complete clueless scum-sucking douchebag to any female foolish enough to make some effort to communicate with him?"
Edjwald

PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2023 4:20 pm Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:
Clearly, Momo is best girl, geez. Wink

Have you forgotten her Night Butterfly nail artistry already???

Well, to be fair, it's not like I ruled out a threeso...(Koff)...I mean, yes, that had slipped my mind.
Edjwald

PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2023 6:31 pm Reply with quote
Edited for three missing words

smurky turkey wrote:
Real talk though, unless Yamada changes drastically due to the power of love, I find it very hard to believe that he can maintain a healthy relationship. In that sense I almost pity the girl who ends up winning. Tsubaki even seems painfully aware of that fact.

If I wanted to jailhouse lawyer this, I could argue that we're all making too big of a deal out of Yamada's rejection methods.

These females who keep hurling themselves at his feet are strangers. They don't know anything about him, or they wouldn't have hurled themselves in the first place. They don't have any real emotional connection to him because it's not even clear if that's possible. What does that leave? Basically, "I know you have a reputation for turning females down, and I'm a complete stranger, and I don't know anything about your personality, assuming you actually have one, but I think you're hawt. So even though you didn't encourage me or lead me on in anyway, and you don't know me anymore than I know you, and I could be a byatch, or a psycho, or cheating on someone just by doing this...want to be my boyfriend?"

If you're going to try to pick up complete strangers, you have to know going in that you might get shot down, especially if you're on a kamikaze mission. Since these females don't have any real connection to Yamada, they should be able to pick themselves up after a bad night. "Oh, he turned out to be a complete tool. Lesson learned."

And if anyone wants to just slap that band aid on and try to appreciate the show for its good points, stop reading here. Seriously. I'm not trying to ruin anybody's enjoyment.

My problem is, that argument feels a bit dishonest. I wish to God the show had gone that route. The rejections could have been done for humorous effect. At least a few of the females could have been acting cocky, or shallow, or so over the top romantic that they needed a good wake up call.

But nope. At least three females in this show have been portrayed as shy, vulnerable, and Bambi-like in their innocence. The music, the artwork, the voice acting, all of it suggested that these girls were somewhat outcast and mustering all of their courage to naively take a chance and try to break out of their shell....only to be crushed and humiliated. And for every girl to be like that isn't any more realistic than having every girl be arrogant or pushy or crazy. The show made a conscious choice to go this route, and I seriously can't wrap my brain around why anyone thought it would be a good idea unless (A) the show is darker than it's been packaged and there's going to be a season 2 (B) The show is still hoping to bust out some Deus Ex Machina move (or Deus Sex Machina since it's a rom com). (3) the author has some crossed wires somewhere.

The best anybody on this board has been able to come up with has been: "Maybe they want to play up what a jackass Yamada is to show how transformative the power of love can be," and I appreciate the attempt to help me out, but they seem to be flailing for a possible answer just as much as I am IMHO.

If this sounds a little harsh, I still like the show, but I was hoping to love it unreservedly
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2023 7:22 pm Reply with quote
Here's what I think the show was trying to accomplish:

1) Establish that Yamada, due to a past event and a certain inherent nature, is extremely awkward with females.

2) Establish that despite his awkwardness, inside he is genuinely a nice guy. Runa said as much and we've seen examples of how he is nice to Akane.

3) By establishing the strength of Yamada's defenses, demonstrate how awesome Akane is to be able to penetrate them and get him to care about her.

4) Charm viewers with juxtaposition of hot mess Akane with cold Yamada as we watch Yamada's ice being melted by Akane's warm messiness.

But as Edjwald stated earlier, I don't think the author was aware of the impact that establishing Yamada's awkwardness with females would register with some readers/viewers and that's were some of us are stubbing our toes.
smurky turkey

PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2023 2:32 am Reply with quote
The thing is, I am looking past the whole I got him interested in me despite staying away from girls thing. We basically know that Akane will snag him up. However, the real work starts when it comes to maintaining a relationship and even with some very creative thinking I can only see issues ahead. Yamada has rejected many girls in rather cruel/blunt ways, but even bigger is his lack of emotional intelligence and understanding in general. Of course, maybe the power at love changes even that, yet at that point Yamada would be a whole different person.
ACxS

PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2023 8:39 am Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:
Here's what I think the show was trying to accomplish:

1) Establish that Yamada, due to a past event and a certain inherent nature, is extremely awkward with females.

2) Establish that despite his awkwardness, inside he is genuinely a nice guy. Runa said as much and we've seen examples of how he is nice to Akane.

3) By establishing the strength of Yamada's defenses, demonstrate how awesome Akane is to be able to penetrate them and get him to care about her.

4) Charm viewers with juxtaposition of hot mess Akane with cold Yamada as we watch Yamada's ice being melted by Akane's warm messiness.

In a nutshell, this is what I think the show basically is. Doesn't stray far away from the typical rom-com formula so I'm not surprised. I do think the show is a huge missed opportunity for what it could have done instead, but then again, it never promised to do something bold in the first place so if I have any disappointments, it's because I analyzed and expected too much.
Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sat Jun 17, 2023 1:49 am Reply with quote
Episode 11: There's Something I Want to Talk to You About

Summary: Pending

Comments: Pending

Screen Caps:

ACxS

PostPosted: Sun Jun 18, 2023 3:47 am Reply with quote
12:

Huh. Very interesting plot twist.

I will be honest: I was frustrated with Akane. Like, very frustrated with her. After seeking advice from Eita and Momo, I (and perhaps a lot of other people watching this show, I guess) was ready to finally see the part where Akane confesses and see her taking the first step. But no. Fumbled it. Still a hot mess. It frustrates me that I actually wanted to see her "get it" but screwed it up eventually.

But Tsubaki actually being the one taking the first step? Ahead of Akane, with that kind of timing? I actually didn't see that coming. Tsubaki has become this polar opposite of Akane, not just in personality but also now circumstantially. Tsubaki = reluctant yet took the first step. Akane = ready but got cold feet. Even Eita didn't see that one coming.

So what happens now? Yamada is the one who decides what happens now, and from the looks of it, he will turn Tsubaki down for Akane. I just can't see the opposite happening; we have never seen Yamada opening up to Tsubaki at all. So rather than seeing Akane confessing her feelings to Yamada, it's more about Yamada going to confess his feelings for Akane.
Edjwald

PostPosted: Sun Jun 18, 2023 5:04 am Reply with quote
ACxS wrote:
12:But Tsubaki actually being the one taking the first step? Ahead of Akane, with that kind of timing? I actually didn't see that coming.

It made me sad. I thought that Tsubaki picked up that Yamada was thinking about Akane when he was staring at that passing stranger with the same kind of hair. When Yamada gave Tsubaki the umbrella and took off, he was running to go talk to Akane, and he was urgent because he has feelings for her. I felt like Tsubaki either knew it or sensed it. So I'm a little conflicted about Tsubaki's confession being brave or being desperate. There's a thin line, y'know? She was using guilt on him, intentionally or unintentionally.

When Yamada is saying he's thinking about it during that whole scene where Eita thinks Akane confessed to Yamada, and Yamada thinks Eita is talking about Tsubaki, why is Yamada thinking about it? Is he considering how he feels about Tsubaki (I think it's pretty clear he likes Akane at this point), or is he just concerned because he doesn't want to hurt Tsubaki the way he hurt that girl in the flashbacks, and he knows he's about as good at handling things delicately as a wood chipper.

Either way, I like Tsubaki. I don't want to feel sorry for her. I want her to be okay.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2023 6:26 am Reply with quote
I think it was external circumstances that determined both that Akane would not confess when she resolved she would and that lead Tsubaki to confess when perhaps she didn't realize she would. I'm a bit hazier on Tsubaki because we don't have access to her inner thoughts the way we do with Akane.

I think if Yamada hadn't been in a rush and invited Akane in, she would have confessed as planned. I can't really blame her for not bringing it up outside as they are going to the station. That unexpected interruption then gave her enough time to change her mind (for some reason).

As for Tsubaki, I don't think she would have confessed at that moment if it hadn't been raining and Yamada came back to help her find her glasses. It was an external trigger that allowed her to finally surmount her inner barrier. I'm sure her awareness of Akane and Yamada's probable feelings for her also was a factor in a desperate, "it's now or never" sort of way.

Tsubaki is not going to get the answer she wants, but props to her for taking the risk even if it wasn't planned.
Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sat Jun 24, 2023 2:06 am Reply with quote
Episode 12: I Like You

Summary: Pending

Comments: Pending

Screen Caps:

smurky turkey

PostPosted: Sat Jun 24, 2023 1:47 pm Reply with quote
And that was the last episode. During the episode I kept thinking about things I would want to discuss here regarding said episode and the season as a whole. I am not going to do that though, I am going to keep it succinct because I consider this show not to be worth the time and energy it would be to rant about all kinds of things all over again.

In the end the anime is an okayish romance show with two mains that I never really learned to like all that much. I could speak about Yamada and his extreme social issues and how it would make for a horrible relationship at length, but fudge that. Some of the side characters were okay and I like the ingame sections and wish there were more.

In the end there were several better romance anime this season and this one has nothing really special to offer, but I do not regret my time watching it because it made me appreciate actual good romance anime more.

Edit: one positive note, I did like the guild meetings, though like the ingame sections, I wish there were more.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 7 of 8