• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Insomniacs After School (TV) (w/ index).

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Beltane70

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2023 12:23 am Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:
Also - and believe me, I understand this observation wins me no Sharp Eyed Viewer points - but I have to assume the white haired shorty we saw at the beginning of the episode is related to Astronomy Senpai somehow.

I'm pretty sure that they are the same person.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2023 4:37 am Reply with quote
That's what I initially thought as well but when I re-checked that first scene, she seemed really short relative to Ganta and his friend who passed by her, but perhaps that's because she was somewhat bent over, looking out the window. She's got the neck choker that Shiromaru wears and looks identical so yeah, it's her.

Presumably, she was at the school during the day to talk with Sensei who told Ganta and Isaki she had consulted with "that alumni (sic)" (Subtitles should have used singular form of alumni, alumnus.). But that's kind of weird. Why wasn't that conversation held over the phone? And if she was already at the school, why not just talk to Ganta and Isaki there as opposed to making them go all the way out to where she's living?

It's also a little strange that Ganta and his friend passed her in the school hall without seeming to notice or comment. The fact that she wasn't in a school uniform would have made her stick out like a sore thumb, I would have thought. She looks small and young enough, you could imagine her being mistaken for being high school age.
smurky turkey

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2023 5:58 am Reply with quote
Well, it is clear that she holds some fond memories of the astro club, so I get why she would not mind visiting the school. Also, yeah, unless she has a spoopy identical ghost of her wandering around in the school, that was her in the first scene.

As for the sensei, she seems to want to make them work for it and figure things out for themselves instead of handing everything on a silver platter. Thus they had to go into rice paddie land to ask for advice.

Anyway, with a new semi member things are getting a bit more lively.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2023 6:38 am Reply with quote
Episode 4

This episode was almost TOO slice of life for me. In fact, it was so chill that hearing Ganta call a teacher an a-hole was almost like a refreshing slap to the face. I'm surprised we didn't hear about the fall-out from that. Can't imagine you can do that and get away scot-free. I wonder if school-enforced curfews are actually a thing, irl. I think it's true that schools can prohibit students from having part-time jobs but I didn't think they could ding you for just being out and about after a certain hour. Geez, what's a poor female student who's trying to make a little extra yen doing "compensated dating" supposed to do??? A topic for another day.

It was such a low-key episode that I noticed something kind of trivial: Ganta slapping a mosquito. I don't see mosquitos much in anime. Tons of cicadas, of course. Fair amount of different kinds of beetles. Fireflies, yes. Mosquitos? Not so much.

Anyway, hope things pick up a bit next episode.
Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2023 9:39 pm Reply with quote
Episode 04: Venus

Summary: Pending

Comments: Pending

Screen Caps:

smurky turkey

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2023 5:02 am Reply with quote
Besides a bit of romantic progression I think this is pretty much what we are going to get for the rest of the season. Slice of life chills with some stargazing with the club. I love sol so I am all in, but I understand some might with more.
smurky turkey

PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2023 5:02 am Reply with quote
Episode 5 had a bit of everything. Camping fun (for some), beautiful night scenery, romance and a bit of dread when Magari took her medication and given the amount she had.... possibly sad times ahead.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2023 6:17 am Reply with quote
Episode 5

Possible sad times, indeed. I'm already laying in an extra supply of tissues. I thought the show was going to pull a "they get discovered cuddled up together on the beach" scene but no. We're five episodes in... come on show, time to give us a bit more of Ganta's back story. Where's his Mom? (Dead, presumably). Why is his Dad sleeping on the sofa? I get this show is in glacial pace mode but man...
Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2023 4:30 pm Reply with quote
Episode 05: Canopus -The Keel-

Summary: Pending

Comments: Pending

Screen Caps:

smurky turkey

PostPosted: Sat May 13, 2023 3:40 am Reply with quote
Yeah, seeing all those pills I am sure that what she is not a simple thing.
smurky turkey

PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2023 12:39 pm Reply with quote
Well, this week upped the ante when it comes to foreshadowing tragic times. Last week the pills were a subtle flag, but this week it was a blunt flag that gets rammed up your arse to make sure you aware that death is up ahead.
hanessey

PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2023 12:31 pm Reply with quote
I get it, this episode was really laid-back. Loved the moment when Ganta called his teacher an a-hole. Do schools really enforce curfews? Can't believe they can penalize you for being out after a certain hour. I begin thinking more and more about studying online and using sources like https://paperap.com/ because it is a great provider of useful learning materials. Here I find topics ideas and free paper samples, so that makes my student life easier and less stressful.

Last edited by hanessey on Mon May 29, 2023 2:41 am; edited 1 time in total
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2023 10:33 am Reply with quote
Episode 6

Oh yeah, we are definitely all aboard the Tragedy Express, hurtling along with a one way ticket to Sobsville. Ai. Oh well, I'll just have to enjoy the light times while they last. I love the characterization in this show. For example how Bad Pitcher knew the best way to draw in Snotty Girl was to make her think she was being left out of the group. I could be wrong, but I think this is the first time I've seen a character vape in anime.
Edjwald

PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2023 4:16 pm Reply with quote
You paranoids clearly don't know what you're talking about. Those are...caffeine pills. She dressed them up because...Magari doesn't really have insomnia. Yeah, she's been taking caffeine pills so she can stay up late cause she's in love with Ganta and figured out what was wrong with him.

(Still waiting for my ship to come in at the train station)
Animegomaniac

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2023 8:18 am Reply with quote
Episode 6

Isaki is caught sleeping inside a locker that looks like a coffin. The disappearing footprints in the previous episode were bad enough but come on, Ganta, start asking questions.

Also, am I the only one who gets the feeling that pig tailed girl Motoko is going to be the one Ganta gravitates to? It's been a feeling I've gotten since the first episode when I mistook her for the lead girl but in episode 6, Ganta was watching her like a thirsty man stares at a glass of water. Odd that she's the first leading character we really learn something about... six episodes in.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4