• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
(A) Galaxy Next Door (TV) (w/ index).

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2023 10:47 pm Reply with quote
Episode 07: A Slight Fever with the Princess

Summary: Pending

Comments: Pending

Screen Caps:

Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sat Jun 03, 2023 1:17 pm Reply with quote
Episode 08: Christmas with the Princess

Screen Caps:

InfiniteJest

PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2023 7:46 am Reply with quote
This show is a lovely fresh breath mint after a greasy meal of Isekai and action. I wait avidly each week for the next dub episode to come out so I can have 20 min of anime zen where (so far) no one is a jerk and it’s happy, slow moving sweet romcom without tsundere.

Then of course I go back to the dark, violent, action packed stuff. But this one break each week is very nice.
smurky turkey

PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2023 8:49 am Reply with quote
It is a solid romance anime with not anything that makes it really special, though unfortunately it did come out in a strong season with several other better romance anime in it.
Edjwald

PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2023 6:06 am Reply with quote
InfiniteJest wrote:
This show is a lovely fresh breath mint after a greasy meal of Isekai and action. I wait avidly each week for the next dub episode to come out so I can have 20 min of anime zen where (so far) no one is a jerk and it’s happy, slow moving sweet romcom without tsundere.

Then of course I go back to the dark, violent, action packed stuff. But this one break each week is very nice.

I started off this thread saying I loved the art and music, and I still do. The colors are purdy, and the music gets underestimated because it understands that its background and not supposed to be distracting. I could watch this anime and enjoy it on those merits alone and sometimes do. I like the show. If the writing were on the same level as the art and music, I'd love the show.

I also agree that the show would fare better in a season where it didn't have so much strong romcom competition. Part of being a relaxing slice of life is that A Galaxy Next Door is a bit on the bland side if you're not in a frazzled state wanting to chill. Shiori is easy to predict. Akane and Mitsumi over in the neighboring romcom anime are also pure, earnest souls, but they're much harder to anticipate. Ichiro has a bit more emotional range, but it's subdued and falls easily in line with hundreds of other anime romcom protagonists so that he's also predictable. He has more backbone and character than Shima and Yamada have demonstrated, but their flaws have kept us debating and wondering over on those threads if nothing else.

To me, this show is a more successful attempt at what The Ice Guy and His Cool Colleague wanted to accomplish. That show also had good art and music, but not as good IMHO. And the two leads were also predictable, even more so. The show even had a weird supernatural element that didn't really get utilized to draw much mystery or suspense.

Fortunately, I'm often frazzled and looking to relax. Or...wait....
Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Wed Jun 07, 2023 10:40 pm Reply with quote
Episode 09: A Hot Spring with the Princess

Screen Caps:

Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sat Jun 17, 2023 1:35 am Reply with quote
Episode 10: Family Meeting with the Princess

Screen Caps:

Edjwald

PostPosted: Sat Jun 17, 2023 5:43 pm Reply with quote
Next to last episode

I'm really glad the show didn't make his reaction to the ceremony a cliffhanger like so many would have.

DO YOU LOVE ME?!?!

-----
smurky turkey

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2023 6:09 am Reply with quote
I am still slowly dragging myself through the series. Maybe there are just too many romance anime this season or maybe it is that the other ones are just so much better, but Galaxy is a struggle for me. I will finish it though.
Edjwald

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2023 6:25 am Reply with quote
That's how I am with Insomniac, which I think is an excellent anime. I just got two episodes behind when I was busy, and it's not the kind of anime I want to binge watch.
InfiniteJest

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2023 7:33 am Reply with quote
I agree the pacing doesn’t lend itself to binge. I watch one ep a week as it’s dubbed and it’s both good…and enough. Galaxy is so treacly sweet at times that Id fear diabetes if I watched too much at once.

But it’s still a nice break from the other stuff.
Cam0

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2023 8:12 am Reply with quote
I mostly like the show. I think the two leads have pretty good chemistry and I like how they actually talk things out. But their relationship still feels a bit half-baked. Maybe because they haven't spend that much time together.

I think the show made a really poor choice by making Machi so mature for her age. The show had this premise of a big brother suddenly being put in a situation where he has to raise and provide for his younger siblings. But the kids can so easily fend for themselves that the show barely has had to deal with any of the kid raising issues.
Edjwald

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2023 4:08 am Reply with quote
Cam0 wrote:
I think the show made a really poor choice by making Machi so mature for her age. The show had this premise of a big brother suddenly being put in a situation where he has to raise and provide for his younger siblings. But the kids can so easily fend for themselves that the show barely has had to deal with any of the kid raising issues.

That's a good point. The little brother reminds me of a kid named Kotarou from an anime called School Babysitters, which I really like. The protagonist, Ryuichi, is raising Kotarou alone after his parents died in a plane accident. .But I can remember Kotarou's name even though it's been a couple of years, and I can't remember the name of the little brother on this show even though I'm currently watching it.

(Feel a need to hastily add that I still like this show for its good points.)
smurky turkey

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2023 10:54 am Reply with quote
Yay, I am all up to date and ready for the final episode. That said, the last two drama filled episodes felt a bit meh to me and made me question the island even more than I already did.

Think about it: a godly creature arrives on an island from the cosmos, said creature turns the people into some kind of hybrid being, the people on the island come to worship those hybrid humans and those hybrids use powers to maintain a kind of mental network, the regular population on the island is near fanatic about the hybrids.

All that together is basically an eldritch horror arriving on the island and turning the island into a cult with a mental control network.
Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sat Jun 24, 2023 2:20 am Reply with quote
Episode 11: Stinger Removal with Kuga-kun

Screen Caps:

Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3