• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Heavenly Delusion (TV) (w/ index).

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Panino Manino

PostPosted: Sun Apr 09, 2023 12:04 pm Reply with quote

I have doubts about who send the photo (inside the "school). A camera, in the shower, at that angle? Must be a staff member, right? And why would they do this? To see boy's reactions? After all, those kids are on that closed place for a reason. That Kuku girl seemed a bit too athletic, that boy should had died from that fall, Mimihime herself has a suspiciously good intuition... Now it "makes sense" that Maru has that power to kill a man eater.
Beltane70

PostPosted: Sat Apr 15, 2023 3:29 pm Reply with quote
I certainly didn't expect episode three's plot-twist about Kiruko's past! It's also nice to finally find out when in the future the story takes place.
Panino Manino

PostPosted: Sun Apr 16, 2023 4:01 pm Reply with quote
A real shame, this is one of those series with so much to talk about but I'm not a native english speaker and I get tired writing in gringo.

I just want to say... I have the impression that this anime risks flying a bit under the radar. Can't it end the season as one of the most watched and discussed series?
Nom De Plume De Fanboy
Subscriber
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Sun Apr 16, 2023 7:07 pm Reply with quote
Panino Manino wrote:
I just want to say... I have the impression that this anime risks flying a bit under the radar. Can't it end the season as one of the most watched and discussed series?

I hope it gets noticed and watched, in some way. But it is on Disney and that may limit how many anime fans see it as it comes out. Sad
Beltane70

PostPosted: Sun Apr 16, 2023 9:27 pm Reply with quote
It's also streaming on Hulu which is how I've been watching it.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2023 8:29 am Reply with quote
Episode 3

Holy Jumpin' Jehoshaphat, this show is good. Firing an absolutely all cylinders: visuals, characters, story-telling, you name it. So many mysteries to contemplate. Number one on my list is what actually happened to Kiruko in that arcade? The last time we saw her in the flashback, she was very much alive, so what is her brother's brain doing in her body? Heavenly is an extremely apt word to have in the title for this knock-out show.
Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2023 11:16 pm Reply with quote
Episode 03: Kiriko and Haruki

Summary: Haruki and Kiriko Takahaya lived in an orphanage five years ago, where Kiriko was a successful electro-kart racer, while Haruki was a leader of a group fighting man-eater monsters. One day, Haruki saw a man-eater and tried to kill it, but failed. Kiriko crashed her kart into it and Haruki recovered Kiriko's body. Four years later, Haruki met Maru in Nakano.

Comments: Damn, what a gut-wrenching backstory. The emotional and thematic gravitas in this series is quite something. Production value is top notch, the characterizations are already this good in three episodes, and we've barely touched the actual story of the inner and outer workings of the Dome.

I'm gonna' ease up on the conspiracy theories for this episode. The pacing is totally throwing my expectations out the window (in a good way), and I really don't know what to expect from this show, like, at all, anymore. Pretty much every story element keeps leading me to ask more and more questions, every time they reveal a new detail.

It's like a literal dive into the unknown, which is why I live the science fiction genre so much. Most shows, you can kind of predict, at least, a little of what's coming. But, in my opinion, this show is the complete opposite of that. Can't wait to see what other kind of curve balls they throw, next.

Screen Caps:

Last edited by Tony K. on Wed Apr 26, 2023 9:45 pm; edited 1 time in total
Panino Manino

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2023 11:31 am Reply with quote
I'm just a bit disappointed by what caused the incident in episode 3. Hiruko could had prevented that, he even had time to stop the race. It's hard to sympathize with a character when he acts so dumb like that, almost like he deserved it. His sister died because of his idiocy.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2023 12:03 pm Reply with quote
I agree his decision was foolish. However, it is also a function of his youth. He thought he could handle it and then gain respect from his older male mentor. A tragic miscalculation.
Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2023 12:06 pm Reply with quote
Panino Manino wrote:
It's hard to sympathize with a character when he acts so dumb like that, almost like he deserved it. His sister died because of his idiocy.

Since they told the origin through a flashback, though, I feel this helps build him a lot more. After seeing that course of events, we know he's probably living with the guilt of acting so brashly. It was a hard-learned lesson. And how he chooses to atone for it will make or break his character.

There are so many layers to this show: we might get Maru's backstory, more of Kiruko's, and we don't even know the circumstances or possible fallout for any of the Dome stuff, yet. And yes, great, great artistry. I can't stop taking screen caps of the backgrounds.
Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2023 9:45 pm Reply with quote
Episode 04: Kuku

Summary: Kuku takes Tokio into an incubator room filled with babies with no features, but they escape detection. Tokio visits her friend Tarao, who is dying. Kiruko lures the fish beast into the ferry to destroy it. And later, they find an abandoned building with food and settle down for the night, not realizing they are in a Mitsuba Home Center.

Comments: I'm, now, convinced these Dome kids are some kind of genetic experiment. The one kid who fell from high up and didn't die after hitting his head, the high-jumping girl, and now this facility with the creepy looking test tube babies. It might also explain Tarao's illness, and maybe that's some kind of genetic defect in the babies that aren't quite the successful superhuman. And then the mutant fish thing had arms, so I'm wondering if all these mutants are what the superhuman Dome kids or eventually turn into.

I feel like by the first episode in this series, I had a couple of large grocery bags full of questions from the sci-fi supermarket. By episode two, I had to start putting them in backpacks because they started growing on their own. At episode three, I had to change out the backpacks because the emotional drama ripped 'em apart. But with this episode, I'm having to transfer my groceries from backpacks into a freakin' refrigerator, because they're, now, starting to sprout different questions. Pretty soon, I'm gonna' need a walk-in fridge, at the rate the questions keep growing and multiplying.

It's been a good while since I've seen a show that has so many twists and unknowns. I dare even say Production I.G. is the master of the science fiction genre (thanks in large part to the Ghost in the Shell franchise).

Screen Caps:

Panino Manino

PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2023 10:43 am Reply with quote
Forgot to comment about the episode 4.
I just want to say... that "thing", that "baby", that was Maru, wasn't it? Shocked

Not that I really want to know the answer for now.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2023 8:03 pm Reply with quote
Episode 5

This fantastic show just continues to throw out intriguing mysteries and just basically be a freaking monument to coolness. I really can't wait until some of our questions start to get answered. I like how the adults who run Heaven are clearly up to shady stuff but they aren't portrayed as stock villains. Very refreshing. Watching Maru kick ass was fun. Male brain or no, Kiroku seems to be forming quite an attachment to Maru. What's the old saying? You can take the female brain out of the girl and but in a boy's brain, but you can't... uh... you can't... take the.. the... boy's... out of...

...yeah, never mind.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2023 1:30 am Reply with quote
At the begging I was kind of under the impression that the kid we see in the labs/heaven, Tokio, was Maru, and perhaps something happened to forget things and wants to go back there. But not counting the other evidence that they are not the same person I was kind of wondering if my expectation that they were a boy might have been misplaced, I think after the brain reveal. Tokio throwing up in this episode, I think is an obvious misdirect that it has anything to do with the illness that just killed the other kid, so my other go to is that she is probably pregnant.

This gives me now the running theory that Tokio will be revealed to be Maru's mother, and she ran away from the labs after realising she was pregnant, and perhaps the scientists would do some sort of guinea pig thing. The show kept on trying to push that the lab stuff was happening at the same time as the main events, especially in this episode, but I am pretty certain they are all in the past. They maybe fit closer to the other things of the episode explaining AI monitoring humans, with the other theory that humans were more at fault for what happened than they want to believe. I can't really remember the timelines fully, but could some accident at the labs before Maru is born be responsible for the creation of the man eaters and the apocalypse?
Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2023 10:40 pm Reply with quote
Episode 05: Day of Fate

Summary: Maru was born in the same year as the Great Disaster and grew up in an orphanage. His mentor, Mikura, taught him how to kill and explains the War Collapse Theory to Kiruko. Maru and Kiruko head for a zone with clean water. Meanwhile, Tarao dies from his disease, but the medical team finds a large bug in his ashes.

Comments: Ya' know, it never even occurred to me that there are two separate timelines being presented, here. I was so engrossed with the what, where, and how of both worlds, I didn't even consider when it all took place. I feel stupid -_-.

With that being the case, I have even more questions and theories! But my brain is a bit fried from all the reminiscing and typing I keep doing about my childhood and its failed romances.

I leave y'all with some awesome artwork captures. I wish I could take more for this show, as the production value is so crazy good.

Screen Caps:

Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4