• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Gushing Over Magical Girls

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Lizuka

PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2024 7:04 pm Reply with quote
I kind of can't make up my mind on this show. I've watched up through episode 6 and it's, like... It can be really funny, I like the cast, but it really just genuinely makes me uncomfortable. No clue if I want to watch more of it or not.
Key

PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2024 1:10 am Reply with quote
Lizuka wrote:
I kind of can't make up my mind on this show. I've watched up through episode 6 and it's, like... It can be really funny, I like the cast, but it really just genuinely makes me uncomfortable. No clue if I want to watch more of it or not.

Episodes 7 and 8 are arguably the best episodes to date, so if you made it through ep 6 then you shouldn't stop there. (And I also think there's less in those two episodes that's specifically uncomfortable.)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Takkun4343

PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2024 9:18 am Reply with quote
As someone who's actively posting clips of this show on X-Twitter with semi-accurate TV content ratings edited in (here's a sampling), this week's gag screenshot feels like it was made expressly for me. Laughing
SpencerSDH

PostPosted: Thu Feb 29, 2024 4:15 pm Reply with quote
For the fanservice shot, you should have gone for the chibi Kaoruko with the flat chest and really tiny nipples. That completely caught me off guard.
InfiniteNothingness

PostPosted: Thu Feb 29, 2024 4:48 pm Reply with quote
It's been exciting, entertaining, and vindicating, to watch Farris' gradually evolving opinions, in just the way I thought. Also, I've actually smiled at every special screenshot, although my favorite were the first few admittedly.
encrypted12345

PostPosted: Thu Feb 29, 2024 10:43 pm Reply with quote
RIP to this episode's budget. Still fun though. Next episode should be great regardless. I wonder if it will be anime original content + 16 or 16+22 (2 Loco and Leber focused chapters). I'm kind of hoping for the former since doing 22 now would be a bit awkward, but it's not a big deal. They've adapted chapters out of order before and changed the context well enough for it to still work.
HKurogane

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2024 2:14 pm Reply with quote
I don't remember exactly wrote this a few pages back but, it seems like Utena's (true) pleasure isn't from the punishing aspect of her actions towards the magical girls, but pushing them down so she can see them stand up again even stronger is what she really genuinely loves about magical girls. This is why when Azure totally breaks, she's disgusted because she always loved the resilience they showed. So Utena doesn't mind playing the villain role because she still gets to be a part of what makes magical girls so great.
Penrhos

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2024 5:19 pm Reply with quote
So Ep.10 is where X loses it's shit....

The Soundproof room scene was basically Hentai - I don't think they're going to add much more to the BD's for this scene...

Pure culture on a Wednesday - If it was funimation we'd probably get the "Outside company standards" message and a disappearing show.

To quote Magia Baiser from the conversation later in the episode."I just saw something good happen"

I can't wait for the ANN episode review....
Ryuu14

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2024 3:17 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Magical girl shows as an institution are certainly no stranger to homoeroticism. Utena's established unholy worship at the altar of that material, the very fact that she found herself "gushing" over these magical girls, would certainly seem to indicate that she and others like Sayo who got carried away by her games might be acknowledged as lesbians

I actually started thinking about this topic in GOMG. So far, we haven't seen a single man in this show, not even among all those faceless background characters. And unless I forgot something, among all the sexual and romantic conflicts in this anime there hasn't been a single line that goes like "But we're both girls!". This might imply that women getting together is perfectly natural in that universe. But then I just wonder how babies are made. "The birds and the bees" doesn't quite work if there aren't any bees around.
Yuvelir

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2024 3:18 pm Reply with quote
Gunbuster mentioned!
Florete

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2024 4:05 pm Reply with quote
Gotta love how at first Leber is all, "That's ridiculous! We're not going to do that," but then Loco with no hesitation goes, "Welp, she said we had to do it, so we should probably just do it."

Ryuu14 wrote:
I actually started thinking about this topic in GOMG. So far, we haven't seen a single man in this show, not even among all those faceless background characters.

While not human, Vena is male.
cardkiing

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2024 5:30 pm Reply with quote
Florete wrote:
Gotta love how at first Leber is all, "That's ridiculous! We're not going to do that," but then Loco with no hesitation goes, "Welp, she said we had to do it, so we should probably just do it."

Ryuu14 wrote:
I actually started thinking about this topic in GOMG. So far, we haven't seen a single man in this show, not even among all those faceless background characters.

While not human, Vena is male.

Vena is female, the 1st draft of GOMG characters has Vena having two forms and the humanoid form is clearly female. even, if Vena doesn't have a canon humanoid form, Vena is clearly meant to be female.
Florete

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2024 5:45 pm Reply with quote
cardkiing wrote:
Vena is female, the 1st draft of GOMG characters has Vena having two forms and the humanoid form is clearly female. even, if Vena doesn't have a canon humanoid form, Vena is clearly meant to be female.

Does it actually confirm Vena as female, as opposed to just having a feminine appearance? Because every source I've found labels Vena as male or non-gendered.
trilaan

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2024 9:51 am Reply with quote
I'm a little behind, just saw episode 6. And I thought the Age Play bits in Migi and Dali were probably the most focus a non-Hentai anime could ever get, but this episode of this show really focused on it. They're never gonna get a character wearing diapers right, though. If you're gonna do Age Play scenes go all out on the paraphernalia(if the law allows). For Age Play a bottom needs padding with some bounce to it or the whole aesthetic is thrown off. And, of course, increase the ACTUAL age of the characters for your show.
Pinkayuri

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2024 8:40 pm Reply with quote
Florete wrote:
cardkiing wrote:

Does it actually confirm Vena as female, as opposed to just having a feminine appearance? Because every source I've found labels Vena as male or non-gendered.

Vena has never been canonically gendered (EN scans originally defaulted to male likely out of habit), but its fair to assume they're female given the female VA and the fact that there are no men in the entire canon of the series.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 8 of 9