• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Metallic Rouge

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jose Cruz

PostPosted: Sun Feb 04, 2024 7:56 pm Reply with quote
Beltane70 wrote:
Jose Cruz wrote:
In regards to the Neans, they appear to be primarily like the replicators of Blade Runner: organic androids. Neans are artificially constructed humanoid made of mostly organic parts. In Blade Runner the replicators were 100% organic but Neans appear to be mostly organic but also have substantial electronic parts as well: we might say they are replicator cyborgs.

They also feel kind of like the humanoid Cylons from the Battlestar Galactica reboot to me.

Yes, that might be the closest analogy in scifi.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Thesarum

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2024 2:33 am Reply with quote
Well you wanted more weirdness Steve.

Though, I guess, fragmented dream sequence is fairly by the numbers as far as weirdness is concerned.
YourNameIsMitsuha

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2024 12:03 pm Reply with quote
Spent the whole first half of the episode in annoyance. I'm not a fan of dream sequences with abstract imagery that you know the writers are trying to give us clues to the plot or whatever, but if there is little prior context for the images, they don't sink in for me. The piano meant nothing to me, the people, aside from the 3 versions of her meant nothing until almost the end of the sequence when it became clear that her "brother" was one. It's all a big waste that I wanted to end. I get why they did it, I just didn't find it to be effective or enjoyable. I'm sure the speculators among the fans got a thousand hints that have excited their imaginations, but not me. Then the fight after solved nothing and didn't make much sense to me and felt very random and forced, like "here's your obligatory action." Hoping the next few episodes will proceed in some manner that I can follow comfortably and enjoyably. Reviewer says best installment so far, I say worst :/
darkchibi07

PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2024 11:17 am Reply with quote
I can confidently say that the dog did it! Laughing

It is fascinating how much more entertaining episodes 2 and 6 were with the fun, goofy episodes than where they try to tell a serious plot. Those 2 episodes are where you get to see Naomi and Rouge to really shine in their banter and character relationship. I do wonder what is going in the writing room that had these inconsistencies. Though I will be shocked if somehow the entire main story coalesces into a really satisfying conclusion making it feel like this show would be a little better when being binge-watched.
InfiniteNothingness

PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2024 1:27 pm Reply with quote
This episode was easily my most disliked, half-salvaged by the rare -- and seemingly, positive enough -- representation of multiplicity in Aes and Alice. Or, it would be, if I wasn't this close to playing a guessing game until they likely got offed for Naomi's and/or Rouge's development (in the same turn I am taking pretty much anything I can for the latter). One of the most achingly predictable episodes yet, and I do not say that as someone that subscribes to predictability being an inherent flaw (I am such a mark for even a basic but effective romcom), offset only by how much it shakes up so much of what we've seen previously. Even if I struggle to care beyond Rouge, save Aes and Alice.

Also that audio mixing with that fight was genuinely intolerable for me, just an actively unpleasant sonic experience once Jill and co. began facing off.

Don't see myself dropping this since it's still proving worthwhile in other capacities, but it's gotta be one of the most unengaging I'm watching this season.
KaidoYuji8Shinji

PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2024 9:44 pm Reply with quote
Does anyone know how long the series is? 12/13 vs 26?
I’m starting to lose interest. It’s reminding me of Deca Dence which started amazing with great premise then totally fizzled (for me).
The Scream Man

PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2024 11:45 pm Reply with quote
I have no idea whats going on anymore. Humans Bad, Neans enslaved and there are 9 creatures who are human like Neans. They are.,... good? Ish?
Rouge is killing the 9 though because her brother (Father? Owner?) told her too.
Nina is.. the boss of... everything? I think?
Also theres a cop and his buddy.
And there are/were aliens.

Or something.
InfiniteNothingness

PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2024 1:09 am Reply with quote
KaidoYuji8Shinji wrote:

Still haven't seen word anywhere, unfortunately.
cutslo

PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2024 12:15 pm Reply with quote
I will take exception to the claim that a one-sentence statement that you agree with makes a show "smart".
tintor2

PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2024 12:51 pm Reply with quote
InfiniteNothingness wrote:
KaidoYuji8Shinji wrote:

Still haven't seen word anywhere, unfortunately.

I tried checking the official website as they tend to confirm a length based on blurays or dvds but couldn't find anything.
Glordit

PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2024 3:06 pm Reply with quote
This hasn't been an "amazing" show, it's coasted along and kept me entertained until episode 8. Are they now fighting for the magical Nean balls to make a wish?
Am getting a strong impression that there are too many cooks in the kitchen.

I seriously doubt this is going to be more than 12 or 13 episodes.
darkchibi07

PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2024 4:09 pm Reply with quote
It really starting to feel like script writer Kimiko Ueno had a better vision compared to the others on how to tackle this show. Is it no surprised episodes 2 and 6 were legit fun romps so far? The way this show is still keeping its cards close to its hand is starting to be a little annoying so like I said before, I'll be really impressed if they landed the ending.

I'll admit, that chaotic battle near the end where nearly EVERYONE IS HERE amuses me in concept. Now if only there was proper build up so it feels earned, then it would have been even more hyped. Now I'm afraid that blue-haired girl Cyan is going to be so wasted with her out-of-nowhere introduction.
Nipasu

PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2024 4:19 pm Reply with quote
darkchibi07 wrote:
I can confidently say that the dog did it! Laughing

Thesarum

PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2024 6:45 pm Reply with quote
Aww, they killed off Elan!

Glordit wrote:
Am getting a strong impression that there are too many cooks in the kitchen.

Does slightly give the sense it plotted by generative AI doesn't it? Solid enough at first glance and the individual components are pretty good, if a little rote... but it doesn't quite hold together as a whole.

Quote:
Ash interjects to say that both sides of the argument are correct, which is the kind of mealy-mouth centrism that sounds smart and measured until you realize it's saying that freeing slaves is as bad (if not worse!) than maintaining the status quo

It is pretty consistent with the sorts of issues anime (and Japan) has with just calling slavery straight evil under all circumstances though. It's probably also fairly consistent character writing as it turns out.

Gene is an elite with a lot of power (even if he's been stripped of some of that for the moment) and apparently wealth. There is a lot for him to lose from a "disorderly transition" and it's pretty easy to convince yourself that going slow is the best course of action in such a scenario even if you believe yourself to be on the side of freedom. Ash might be a little coarse, but he's also shied away from conflict with power. He sees himself very much as the little guy. I think more than Ash saying freeing the Neans would be bad, he's saying that Gene is correct that doing so would inevitably lead to violence and conflict and he doesn't feel like that kind of decision has anything to do with him. And Rouge has always just followed her brother, it's really no surprise that given a question with such weighty stakes she defaults to his position. We'll have to see if she's able to maintain that.. but I wouldn't hold out much hope of an unequivocal stance from the show.
John the Dark Lord

PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2024 1:01 pm Reply with quote
Rather than ''centrism'', I would rather use the word ''conformism''. That's a real problem in Japan. Since the country has been so influenced by Confucianism and similar philosophies, keeping order and harmony in society is a very big deal there. Even if your society has flaws, the "proper" way of dealing with them is to work around them or find a way to remedy the problem within the rules that already exist. Actually challenging society is a big taboo there because that would be (GASP!) disruptive! And that's bad.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 3 of 6