• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Did the demise of and backlash towards 4Kids cause the downfall of kids anime in America?

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mgree0032

PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2024 9:22 pm Reply with quote
There was once a time that kids’ anime in America were abundant in the late 90s and early 2000's! But for some reason, they just disappeared suddenly. Pokemon, Yu-Gi-Oh, DBZ, Digimon, Sailor Moon, Medabots, Monster Rancher, Beyblade! Now all the popular anime is more adult like JoJo, Attack on Titan, etc. The only anime that were aimed at kids in the early to mid 2010s for Americans were Yo Kai Watch, Glitter Force, and Doraemon in the early to mid 2010s. But I wish they still showed anime on Disney, CN, and/or Nick so kids could feel nostalgic for them later on, just like we did in the early 2000s. Some people wanted to figure out what happened that led to the demise of kids’ anime in America. Some say it had to do with the demise and backlash of 4kids that caused anime that are for kids. Do you think that 4kids’ demise and backlash caused the downfall of kids’ anime in America, or was it something else?
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Thu Feb 29, 2024 8:32 am Reply with quote
Short answer, NO.

The proliferation of cable and associated proliferation of cable channels caused a tremendous need for content to fill the hours of time available. 4Kids and similar companies looked overseas to find shows that could be adapted for U.S. release. They found a treasure trove of animated shows intended for children in Japan. You have to understand that 4Kids and the others were not bringing "anime" to the U.S. They were bringing content for children. They did their level best to hid the source of that programming. The fact that these shows were anime was of no importance to them or to the networks they were selling them to.

I can't say for sure why children's programming is now much less prevalent but I can make some suggestions. First, Disney and similar networks offering shows for children found that they could make their own cheap animation and even cheaper live action shows for kids at less cost then licensing Japanese animation and with more control.

Second, the success of anime in general both in the U.S. and internationally has drastically increased the cost of licensing anime shows. Also the Japanese creators are more aware of what is being done and have drastically limited how much editing can be done on such shows. While this is good for those of us who want to see what was shown in Japan, it is bad for children's shows because as noted the Japanese are comfortable with concepts that will not fly in U.S. children's programming.

As for the so called backlash, that was among adult fans. It would have no effect on the people who would have licensed content from 4Kids. I suspect that 4Kids died of an inability to cope with the changes listed above and some degree of internal mismanagement.
Nipasu

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2024 1:34 am Reply with quote
mgree0032 wrote:
The only anime that were aimed at kids in the early to mid 2010s for Americans were Yo Kai Watch, Glitter Force, and Doraemon in the early to mid 2010s

Inazuma Eleven Ares had a season dubbed for Disney X-D, and there was Bakugan.

And on the decline in children's anime, I have a few tinfoil theories:

The first is the treatment of anime on US broadcasting channels. I'm no expert, but it seems like Kids' TV channels were moving away from broadcasting anime By the 2010s, the only American TV channel I heard airing anime was Disney X-D--and the majority of their titles flopped (Pokémon and Beyblade Burst survived, and Bakugan found popularity in the USA).

The second reason (surprisingly) is the rise of the US Anime Industry. Yes anime received a huge serge in popularity by the early 2010s, but who where these newer titles appealing to? Many appeared to teens and young adults, the latter group being the main target for the newer Anime-exclusive companies that were popping up. Sure this brought us simulcasts and uncut dubs, but these companies strayed away from children's content to focus on the teen/young adult crowd. And with nobody in the "anime industry" licensing kids' shows, many newer kids' content struggled at this time---even streaming services were targeted young adult content. There were exceptions (like Netflix streaming Dino Girl Gauko and the GF dubs) but the wider plethora of anime content had been aimed towards older audiences.

This especially sucks for girls, as their anime titles were often the ones ignored by the US, regardless of how popular or profitable they were in Japan.

But there has been changes: Anpanman has dubbed movies on Tubi, Waccha PriMagi is streaming on Hidive, and Crunchyroll has licensed Chibi Maruko Chan, Minky Momo, A few seasons from the Pretty Series and the newer Pretty Cure seasons. Yes most of the content is subbed and aimed at young adults, but it's better than nothing. Pokémon and Beyblade Burst are also still around, though I don't think the USA is airing Pokémon on TV.
Nate148

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2024 5:53 pm Reply with quote
It was a bubble and it popped more over nick and carton network killed the sat blocks plus Pokémon was down.
Digimon_Sommelier

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2024 5:33 pm Reply with quote
Anime in the west was the best. We need it back . . .
Spawn29

PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2024 4:01 pm Reply with quote
I don't get why people hated 4kids for their changes when other companies did the same like with Funimation for DBZ and Saban with their anime titles.
mgree0032

PostPosted: Sun Mar 10, 2024 12:21 pm Reply with quote
Spawn29 wrote:
I don't get why people hated 4kids for their changes when other companies did the same like with Funimation for DBZ and Saban with their anime titles.
. 4Kids was not exceptional, it was merely the most visible, and one of the last holdovers of this idea that you should take a foreign series as a cheap way to make an American one. It was a particular focus of by anime fans because it was visibly antiquated even in it's era, and symbolic of how backwards that perspective was, but the push against it was also a call for a respect for the source material of all anime in an era where there were many competing dubbing companies.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1