• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Gundam Seed Destiny Coming to YTV

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Pepperidge

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2007 10:42 am Reply with quote
kolibri wrote:
It's likely this shuffling is due to FMA dropping out of the 10pm slot - only three episodes to go, I think, which would take us to March. Maybe they'll move Eureka 7 to the 10pm slot - I would think they want to keep Bleach at 10:30pm where it has been... And keep InuYasha reruns at 9pm. Pure speculation of course, for all I know they are gonna start FMA reruns which would be boring.

I've never seen any Gundam and I was hoping for an opportunity to see some, but sounds like this is the worst possible place to start...

Actually, the first seven episodes are excellent. Just make sure you bail out after that.
HitokiriShadow

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2007 12:48 pm Reply with quote
kolibri wrote:

I've never seen any Gundam and I was hoping for an opportunity to see some, but sounds like this is the worst possible place to start...

Even Wing, which held the "Worst Gundam Series" title by a majority of Gundam fans before GSD, would be a far better place to start. It doesn't help that GSD is a direct sequal to another series and, unlike U.C. series, viewing the previous series is pretty much required. Sure, it gives a recap episode of the previous series around episode 16 or so, but that doesn't help much and would have been far more useful for new viewers around episode 1.

I would say the series is at least tolerable until around the halfway point (though it had numerous signs of trouble) but at that point you could at least justify it with "maybe they'll fix things later" and some of the signs may not have seemed significant at the time. But around the halfway point, things nosedive tremendously. It's around that point that you realize that niether the writers nor the viewers have a clue who the main character is (they do make a decision around episode 40, but they picked the worst possible option) and that the supposed main character, Shinn, has had about 4 or 5 episodes in which he was actually the focal point.

I don't think I've ever seen a series with so many recap episodes. It had, what, SIX? At least one of those was in the last 10 episodes.

Oh, and if you think you know who Neo Roanoke is (before one of the openings spoils it) and you are telling yourself "No way, that would be incredibly stupid, there is no way they would do that".... you are probably right.
Malintex Terek

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2007 10:03 pm Reply with quote
Pepperidge wrote:
As horrible as GSD is, it is significant in that it's the first anime series in recent memory that YTV has picked up that hasn't already aired on Cartoon Network. It tells quite a bit about how different the TV market is up here for anime.

GSD would have ended up on AS if it wasn't so outright terrible, so putting it on YTV almost makes it look like a reject from AS. While I could imagine how Canadians might see getting GSD as being a victory, a first step toward Canada gaining independence from America's cartoon blocks, the fruit of this vine is plague infested and thoroughly rotten.

Pepperidge wrote:

Like it or not, GSD is probably going to do very well, and at the very least I hope it's the first step towards YTV picking up shows that are more in tune with their own audience rather than Adult Swim's.

The Gundam fandom is more heterogeneous than CLAMP's, so while I do not dispute that GSD might initially recieve some good reception, if Canada's fandom is like America's the show will rapidly polarize and piss off the consumers.

HitokiriShadow wrote:

Even Wing, which held the "Worst Gundam Series" title by a majority of Gundam fans before GSD, would be a far better place to start. It doesn't help that GSD is a direct sequal to another series and, unlike U.C. series, viewing the previous series is pretty much required. Sure, it gives a recap episode of the previous series around episode 16 or so, but that doesn't help much and would have been far more useful for new viewers around episode 1.

I'm no Gundam fan, though I did watch some Wing, GG and MSG in my time; from a Gundam fan's perspective, why was Wing so terrible? Granted, as a non-fan I could see a lot of problems with it; as a mecha show, it's really convoluted with a lot of meaningless pop-philosophy that goes over and over in circles, not to mention the annoying dispositions or lack thereof of the main Gundam pilots. Wing was also dangerously tough to follow and seemed pretty...worthless, overall. I liked the "shounen" aspects of it (get more powerful mechs, fight tougher opponents) but beyond that...ehh.

Is the animosity because Gundam fans believe Wing permanently and irrevocably discoloured the perceptions of the whole Gundam franchise? I myself used to stereotype Gundam fans as philosophical losers for a great long while.
Nagisa

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2007 10:17 pm Reply with quote
Malintex Terek wrote:
I'm no Gundam fan, though I did watch some Wing, GG and MSG in my time; from a Gundam fan's perspective, why was Wing so terrible? Granted, as a non-fan I could see a lot of problems with it; as a mecha show, it's really convoluted with a lot of meaningless pop-philosophy that goes over and over in circles, not to mention the annoying dispositions or lack thereof of the main Gundam pilots. Wing was also dangerously tough to follow and seemed pretty...worthless, overall. I liked the "shounen" aspects of it (get more powerful mechs, fight tougher opponents) but beyond that...ehh.

Wing's problems are basically watered down versions of Destiny's problems, minus the confusion over main protagonist and the horrible misrepresentation of returning characters (both of which are exclusively Destiny). Wing's plot stalls out and changes direction in extremely awkward and convoluted ways, with characters drifting aimlessly for thirty-odd episodes before magically pulling a paper-thin justification to act out of their (whoops, can't say that word!) and doing something that promptly makes little sense and contradicts most if not everything they worked for in prior episodes. The good guys are disgustingly overpowered, to the point that the mobile suit battles are just not fun to watch. When your main hero can obliterate fifty of the bad guy's top weapons in one shot, there's no point in getting excited. And like Destiny, there's no discernable villain. Like Destiny's LOGOS, the bulk of Wing's antagonists are faceless evil societies who lack an identity and vanish with a meaningless fizzle as soon as they appear. The only antagonists with faces hardly act like antagonists until it's convenient for the script (see: Zechs, who goes from apathy to rabid, contradictory anti-Earth rhetoric all because the writers ran out of baddies). The animation was, like Destiny's, awful, with an obscene overuse of stock footage. The main five Gundams fight once each, and that fght scene is recycled for the rest of the series, pretty much. And, of course, there's Relena's ridculous ideals on peace, which rival Lacus's "peace through taking the planet hostage and forcing people to play nice" philosophy for sheer ridiculousness.

And then there are little things, like Wing Gundam's beam rifle blowing away a field of 100 beam-shielded mobile suits in one shot. And Duo "recognizing Trowa's fighting style" when all Trowa's doing is standing there firing a gun.

Malintex Terek wrote:
Is the animosity because Gundam fans believe Wing permanently and irrevocably discoloured the perceptions of the whole Gundam franchise? I myself used to stereotype Gundam fans as philosophical losers for a great long while.

Gundam fans are like rabid Star Wars and Star Trek zealots all thrown into a room together. There are two big factions that hate each other's guts (the Gundam parallel would be UC vs. AU), and then within both factions, nobody can agree and everyone's so freaking egomaniacal and stubborn that they'd sooner scream at each other than talk it out civilly. There's no real reason to it, either. It's just angry nerds being angry.

And if it's not obvious enough, I've been none too thrilled with the Gundam fanbase of late. Only a couple sparse haunts have managed to retain some level of intelligence and civility, and they're...yeah...very few and very sparse. Razz
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Malintex Terek

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2007 10:32 pm Reply with quote
Nagisa wrote:

And Duo "recognizing Trowa's fighting style" when all Trowa's doing is standing there firing a gun.

HAHA, oh wow. I almost wish I wasn't just a sad, confused twelve year old when Wing aired; hearing something like tha would have earned quite a few 'lulz' from an older me.
NinjaUmbreon

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2007 10:53 pm Reply with quote
Nagisa wrote:
NinjaUmbreon wrote:
It wasn't that bad,

Wasn't that bad? The story was blatantly rewritten mid-series to cater to whining fangirls, character development would sporadically stop or turn on a dime for no other reason than to pimp a character's mobile suit, the story blatantly rehashed the first SEED, the animation was horrific, and the amount of retconning that's been done in only the last eighteen months with no rhyme or reason has been staggering.

And that's only the tip of the iceberg. Gundam SEED Destiny redefines the term "trainwreck" in every aspect, and is a living example of how not to write a television series. Or really, how not to write anything, period. Main characters are dropped without provocation, supporting characters are completely re-written on a whim, good guys are made to be grossly overpowered to the point that there's really no interest in their inevitable victory, there's...really no discernable villain to be had (given that the script flip flops between making Djibril a main baddie and a secondary toadie, and Gilbert...really was not defined at all save for a haphazrdly spun up "generic evil plan" and an ill-explained proclamation by Deus Ex Machina Clyne that "he's bad"), and the story spontaneously drags in places instead of using that valuable time to really develop the plot. I mean the Minerva was stuck ambling mindlessly in the Indian Ocean for what, twenty episodes? And barely five episodes from the conclusion we're given a flashback episode (not five episodes separate from another flashback episode) and two Meer-centric episodes, all in a row. And don't even get me started on Destiny's treatment of returning SEED characters. The living embodiment of gross inconsistency, every last one of them.

Yeah, Destiny wasn't that bad, it was so much worse. After the first five episodes, it ceased to even be coherent, much less tolerable.

Well, when you say it like that of couses it'll sound bad.Very Happy I personaly though the series was decent until after the destroy, and that it when down hill after that. I mean most of the fast backs were after that. Or I could just be trying to justify buy it, in the hopes that V Gundam will get picked up sooner Sad
HitokiriShadow

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2007 11:56 pm Reply with quote
Malintex Terek wrote:
Nagisa wrote:

And Duo "recognizing Trowa's fighting style" when all Trowa's doing is standing there firing a gun.

HAHA, oh wow. I almost wish I wasn't just a sad, confused twelve year old when Wing aired; hearing something like the would have earned quite a few 'lulz' from an older me.

I have to admit, I was a pretty big Wing fan back when I first really got into anime. But it didn't take me too long to discover much better things and later, in hindsight, realize how bad Wing really was. However, I've never hated Wing with the passion that many seem to.

NinjaUmbreon wrote:

Well, when you say it like that of couses it'll sound bad.Very Happy I personaly though the series was decent until after the destroy, and that it when down hill after that. I mean most of the fast backs were after that. Or I could just be trying to justify buy it, in the hopes that V Gundam will get picked up sooner Sad

The whole Destroy thing and the events immediately following was where even the most optimistic of fans (those of us who managed to delude ourselves into believing the the series would fix itself in the latter half and that the problems weren't that bad) had to throw in the towel and recognize that the series wasn't going to get any better and that, in all liklihood, it was simply going to get worse as it continued, as it had for the previous 25-30 episodes. And it did get worse. GSD has been getting decent reviews for the most part at AoD, though the most recent ones have been lukewarm and disappointed. The U.S. release is just about to hit the Destroy Gundam part, so I'm interested to see how the reviewer reacts to the remaining volumes.

Nagisa wrote:

Gundam fans are like rabid Star Wars and Star Trek zealots all thrown into a room together. There are two big factions that hate each other's guts (the Gundam parallel would be UC vs. AU), and then within both factions, nobody can agree and everyone's so freaking egomaniacal and stubborn that they'd sooner scream at each other than talk it out civilly. There's no real reason to it, either. It's just angry nerds being angry.

And if it's not obvious enough, I've been none too thrilled with the Gundam fanbase of late. Only a couple sparse haunts have managed to retain some level of intelligence and civility, and they're...yeah...very few and very sparse. Razz

I honestly haven't had to deal with this problem much. Maybe this is more of a problem in forums dedicated to Gundam specifially, but I haven't seen much of this here or on AN (I've yet to see any Gundam discussion on AoD oustide of the review threads, so I can't comment on the situation there). Sure, occassionally someone comes up and tries to show that Wing is actually a good series, but a few people quickly point out all the flaws in the series and that tends to end it and it usually remains pretty civil. I've seen people who prefer U.C. series over others (or C.E. over others) but I've seen little outright hostility to anything that isn't U.C. (or the AU series of choice) and discussion tends to remain civil barring the occasional troll.
Malintex Terek

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2007 1:19 am Reply with quote
HitokiriShadow wrote:

I honestly haven't had to deal with this problem much. Maybe this is more of a problem in forums dedicated to Gundam specifially, but I haven't seen much of this here or on AN (I've yet to see any Gundam discussion on AoD oustide of the review threads, so I can't comment on the situation there). Sure, occassionally someone comes up and tries to show that Wing is actually a good series, but a few people quickly point out all the flaws in the series and that tends to end it and it usually remains pretty civil. I've seen people who prefer U.C. series over others (or C.E. over others) but I've seen little outright hostility to anything that isn't U.C. (or the AU series of choice) and discussion tends to remain civil barring the occasional troll.

I never knew the Gundam franchise was so large until the Yotsuba quarreling in /a/ and /m/ for SaiGar; I'd say the Star Wars/Star Trek analogy fits really well. We know the fans are there, somewhere, but it's tough to find them since they've established colonies in the most obscure of communities.
Pepperidge

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2007 1:39 am Reply with quote
Malintex Terek wrote:
GSD would have ended up on AS if it wasn't so outright terrible, so putting it on YTV almost makes it look like a reject from AS.

Are you sure about that? If Destiny had actually been a good series overall, do you really think Cartoon Network would've picked it up, after how poorly SEED apparently did on their station?
Malintex Terek

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2007 1:44 am Reply with quote
Pepperidge wrote:

Are you sure about that? If Destiny had actually been a good series overall, do you really think Cartoon Network would've picked it up, after how poorly SEED apparently did on their station?

I didn't know SEED did poorly, though I did know it was heavily edited; I've got a few friends in the Gundam fandom and while they've agreed GSD is a travesty, GS wasn't considered horrible, at least not as bad as Wing anyway. Tell me more, if you would; I'm interested. Idea
HitokiriShadow

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2007 2:03 am Reply with quote
I believe the last few episodes of SEED were pushed to an after midnight timeslot, which doesn't usually happen to something that is doing well.

Quote:
I never knew the Gundam franchise was so large until the Yotsuba quarreling in /a/ and /m/ for SaiGar; I'd say the Star Wars/Star Trek analogy fits really well. We know the fans are there, somewhere, but it's tough to find them since they've established colonies in the most obscure of communities.

I don't think 4chan or those types of places are good place to judge various groups of fans. Anonymous makes EVERYONE look bad when things heat up, and with Anonymous, damn near everything is highly flamable, no?

I alluded to it before, but for a nice Gundam community, you could try the AnimeNation Gundam sub-forum. It's a bit on the slow side with nothing new coming out right now and GSD being the only title currently being released (most people there saw the trainwreck as it happened and have little inclination to discuss it at the moment), but its very newb friendly and low on flames regardless of what you like, provided you are friendly yourself and post something of substance (i.e. not WING is the best gundam evar!!!! Who else likes it?). Even if you go in and try to defend Wing or GSD, you will see few if any personaly attacks (though most will question your taste) and mostly reasons why said series really do suck pretty hard. Even if you start bashing U.C. series (the community does lean that way a bit, though most or all enjoy at least some of the U.C. series, particularly G Gundam), they will most likely simply tell you to stop trolling or flaming and provide reasons for why it sucks.

That's really the only Gundam community I'm part of or even aware of. I was once part of a Gundam forum (I couldn't tell you what it was though), but I quickly left, I think because of the issues Nagisa mentioned.
Malintex Terek

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2007 3:32 am Reply with quote
HitokiriShadow wrote:
I don't think 4chan or those types of places are good place to judge various groups of fans. Anonymous makes EVERYONE look bad when things heat up, and with Anonymous, damn near everything is highly flamable, no?

True enough, but what I meant was that I've seen no Gundam activity on many of the forums I go to, some of which are of decent size. Granted, most of those forums are oriented toward child, shounen or shoujo material, but there's an enormus population of older folks who watch "mature" shows, yet Gundam, an intermediate, is scarcely mentioned at all.

As is the case with my knowledge of Jojo and HnK, there's a strong Gundam presence on Yotsuba, not just on /m/ at that. It's not a question of hatred/praise, as you correctly noted there's a lot of troll baiting up there, but mere mention of the show is what raised my eyebrow.

I'd also find it strange people could hate the U.C. sagas...that's classic Gundam that introduced all of the awesome archetypes, so why would people move against that? It's almost like One Piece and Naruto fans moving against Dragonball.
ikillchicken

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2007 3:45 am Reply with quote
I haven't seen it so I cant comment on whether or not youre correct about it being bad. But why must you all be so negative? If all youve got to say is: "So YTV gets Gundam SEED Destiny, eh? Ouch. Canada...I'm...I'm sorry you have to see that. It'll be a painful experience indeed, being subjected to such a torturous horror as to have...that...on your airwaves." keep it to your self. I very much enjoyed SEED, Im gonna watch GSD, I hope Ill enjoy it but If I dont, well thats too bad. If you all dont wanna watch it you dont have to.

Idunno why SEED did so poorly in the US. As I said I really liked SEED. Perhaps It was due to it being majorly edited in the US?
Malintex Terek

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2007 4:03 am Reply with quote
ikillchicken wrote:
keep it to your self.

We're on a discussion forum, so of course there's going to be dissent; I for one hate topics where everyone just acts like "yes men", either toward the positive OR negative coin face of an issue (unless intelligence is to be gleaned from the posts in question; if such is the case, a black/white extreme isn't all that bad). Bringing in a positive view on GS/GSD and being optimistic is welcome, but telling everyone to shut up because you don't want to hear them complain isn't very cordial in the slightest. At that, it's downright intolerant.
ikillchicken

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2007 4:15 am Reply with quote
Okay fair enough. But keep in mind the topics not about whether GSD is good or not its about it coming to YTV.

If it were at least realevant to that then fine. But it just seems like Everybody is just taking this opportunity to bash it.
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3