Forum - View topic
Hey, Answerman! [2007-02-16]


Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
bayoab



Joined: 06 Oct 2004
Posts: 831
PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2007 1:21 am Reply with quote
I'd be afraid of what happened if answerman tackled people who believe in anime like a religion.

frentymon wrote:
Assuming what you are claiming about alternate universes is true, could it be possible that all the alternate unvierses were manifestations of your own creations? That your ideas were the equivalent of what you say to be a manga author bringing forth an entire universe from his imagination, and the entire concept of the existence of alternate universes and authors bringing about new universes from their creations came about because you desired it to be such?

Ah, gotta love Haruhiism...

That isn't exactly Haruhiism. What you mention above is egocentrism/egoism/solipsism, the belief that you are the center of everything and manipulate everything.

Haruhiism is the fandom that "believes" in Haruhi:
Wikipedia wrote:

Fans of the series call themselves "Haruhiists" (in the same manner that Star Trek fans are Trekkies), and the collective fandom is known as Haruhiism. The concept of Haruhiism is often humorously portrayed by fans to be somewhat of a pseudoreligion, with Haruhi as "God".


britannicamoore wrote:
Could it be that instead of existing in a different reality/ time and it being a past life couldn't you just be seeing the events of another reality?

There was a movie about that but I can't think of what it is. I'm havin trouble getting my words together so I hope that came across well.
I think the movie you are thinking of is Butterfly Effect (which I have not seen but am familiar with the premise) which is that one change in the past brings on a major change in the present. (The idea is based on an important idea in mathematical theories and chaos theories which I won't go into because it's far off topic. If you are interested, run a google search about how a butterfly can cause a tornado.)

Unless I misunderstood you and you are thinking of that other movie which the name escapes me where the guy dreams every night about another "reality" and the question becomes which of the two is actually real. Then again, if dreams were real, I'd be dead.

overlord_mordax wrote:
Stuff about psychologist
I doubt I'll get an answer out of this. Assuming they are legit, do you honestly believe all your peers in your "belief" are sane about this? Naruto guy, Lunawhoever girl... etc? Are they normal but believe they are reincarnations like you? Or are they clearly not grounded in reality and as soon as they get home, they start practicing handsigns until they can delude themselves?


Last edited by bayoab on Mon Feb 19, 2007 1:31 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
ichido reichan



Joined: 14 Nov 2005
Posts: 196
PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2007 1:23 am Reply with quote
This event will be remembered for the ages!!!!

the day Occidental Idocy surpassed the "Otakuness: of a complete japanese nation.

Im sure the most crazy otaku is looking at this thread and saying...

"Man...I thought I was a freak but after read this....DAAAAAAAAAMN!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Cain Highwind



Joined: 08 May 2006
Posts: 245
PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2007 1:23 am Reply with quote
Ahhhhhhhhh! >.< My apologies, I wasn't aware of such a rule being in place. I already edited that part out because after I made the post I started reading from Pg 26 backwards.

Speaking of the recent posts though, I have to tip my hat to "overlord mordax", who has some great arguements, which ties into what I'm saying as "It's not a bad thing to believe in, but it can reach a point of delusion with some people.

I did have a question mordax, what do you do about it in public conversation? Do you openly admit it? Do people outside the internet know of your beliefs or do you fear of potential backlash and being shunned?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
zetsuie



Joined: 21 Jul 2006
Posts: 191
PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2007 2:21 am Reply with quote
man their are people who can do the same moves as anime characters...."lucky"
the only time i've ever come close to being able to feel like an anime character is when i learned how to flex the muscles in my arm to resemble kazumas alter power from s-cry-ed.... man that was a great day almost as good as the day when survivor wrote eye of the tiger
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
zcat68



Joined: 17 Dec 2006
Posts: 17
Location: RI
PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2007 2:33 am Reply with quote
Well, it took me three days to read the whole stinking thing, but I did it. And I have the same thought now that I did when I started reading it.

It really feels to me like I'm watching a group of people watch the last few episodes of Paranoia Agent for the first time...

"There's no way that's real, that's crazy, that makes no sense to me!"

People are entitled to whatever opinion they so desire. Do I think the characters I created are from an alternate demsion and I've tapped into them? No I don't but if that's your opinion, then aruging it seems to be a really long circle that can't reach a conclusion. You embrace your ideas, I'll embrace mine, and we'll find something else to have in common.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
MorwenLaicoriel



Joined: 26 Feb 2006
Posts: 1610
Location: Colorado
PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2007 2:53 am Reply with quote
Paranoia Agent seems kind of like a bad anime to use in defense of Otakukin. Satoshi Kon seems to actually be going against Otakukin-like beliefs and lifestyles with the anime. (.spoiler[The boy that believes he's in a video game is killed, Maniwa later believes he's a great hero and is institutionalized, Tsukiko runs away from the concequences of her actions and her mundane life and escapes into a fantasy world and ends up nearly destroying Tokyo, etc etc)]
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Kyaa the Catlord



Joined: 18 Sep 2006
Posts: 300
PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2007 3:04 am Reply with quote
Duo Maxwell wrote:
No, I am Sparticus!


I'm Juggernaught, bitch. Razz
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
ichido reichan



Joined: 14 Nov 2005
Posts: 196
PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2007 5:27 am Reply with quote
I call the guy from OTAKU NO VIDEO, Im the otaking and I founded GAINAX...

even though I tell you kiddies out there...

The next EVA movies wil make even LESS SENSE!!!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Steroid



Joined: 08 Oct 2005
Posts: 329
Location: At home, where all good hikikomori should be
PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2007 7:20 am Reply with quote
tempest wrote:
Established religions, including animalism, tribalist religions and similar religions, pay respects to and worship otherwise superior or special beings. Otakukin revere only themselves, or more accurately their past selves.

That's what I've been saying, and why I respect the otakukin belief more than established religion. Otakukinism is about the adherent, not the god.

Quote:
Established religions have a set of guidelines about how one should live. Morals, for example Judaism has the ten commandments, Christianity has the beattitudes, etc.. Otakukinism has no such guidelines because there is nothing in the belief that one was a particular "fictional" character that leads one to believe their life should be lived a particular way. At most, some Otakukin will believe that they should live a life worthy of their prior self, but this is an individual choice, not a guideline about how to live right.

Which not only gives me another point in favor of otakukinism as a preference, but it gives established religion a black mark in terms of credence. Just as one might discount otakukinism because the mangaka claim that their work is fiction, I discount religion when it says, "These are the laws, and you shall obey them." A system that purports to describe the nature of the world need not establish rules of how one should act in it, and it makes me suspect an ulterior motive.

Quote:
Established religions, again including animalism and tribal religions, offer a sort of creation story. Religions find part their origins in the need to explain what can not be understood, Otakukinism does not offer any explanation of the origin of the universe other than to state that their is more than one reality. . . . Otakukinism is not a religion.

Technically, not all religions do. Jainism says that the world has always existed as it is, and will always.

But you are right in calling otakukinism not a full religion. A religion is a package deal, comprising creation, teleology, morality, custom, and more. Otakukinism is an attempt to take one part of the package--nature of the self and the soul--and leave the rest. I imagine there could be otakukin who believe in the big bang, and ones who believe in a single god, or a deistic "dead" god, or many gods, but who all still hold to the basic idea that their souls are as they say they are.

And a question to overlord mordax, or any other otakukin who wishes to chime in: is it possible to "convert" to otakukinism? Perhaps by meditaion or some such, one could find which soul one is possessed of?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message My Anime My Manga
MorwenLaicoriel



Joined: 26 Feb 2006
Posts: 1610
Location: Colorado
PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2007 9:52 am Reply with quote
Steroid wrote:
tempest wrote:
Established religions, including animalism, tribalist religions and similar religions, pay respects to and worship otherwise superior or special beings. Otakukin revere only themselves, or more accurately their past selves.

That's what I've been saying, and why I respect the otakukin belief more than established religion. Otakukinism is about the adherent, not the god.


...So you prefer a belief system that's self-centered, and really doesn't particularly care how badly or well you treat others?

I guess, considering your comments on the Lolicon debate, I shouldn't be surprised.

(No offense meant to the Ken Ichijouji Otakukin...I'm not accusing you of being self centered.)
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Tempest
ANN Publisher & CEO


Joined: 29 Dec 2001
Posts: 9624
Location: Do not message me for support.
PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2007 10:23 am Reply with quote
Steroid wrote:
That's what I've been saying, and why I respect the otakukin belief more than established religion. Otakukinism is about the adherent, not the god.


Interesting. Those are the very reasons that many people will respect Otakukinism less, the fact that it is self-centered and does not revolve around community & god.

Quote:
Technically, not all religions do. Jainism says that the world has always existed as it is, and will always.


True, but by doing so Jainism offers its own explanation of existence. Although the explanation is different compared to most major religions, it is no different in the fact that it explains where we came from.

In fact "the Earth was always here" is very similar to the "God was always here" (or rather "the uncaused cause") of Christianity.

-t
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail My Anime My Manga
Tamer Chris



Joined: 05 Nov 2004
Posts: 5
Location: Malaysia
PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2007 12:00 pm Reply with quote
About the rant, I quite agree with the ranter. No, I'm not the same guy who rant, just same name.

Cliche or no cliche, if you like what you see on the back of the DVD or VCD when browsing in a store, just buy it. There's no harm in gaining 'experience' so that soon you'll know which type you prefer to avoid.

Really, like the ranter mentioned, it may seem reviewers don't like the same old routine repeated in an anime, but they still get attention from fans. So if the same formula works, why not reuse again? Just look at the Gundam series and you'll know what I mean.

It all comes down to sales. Regardless fans elsewhere rejected copycats, the fans in Japan receive them well and that's what matters. After all, most anime are made with priority given to the locals.

And speaking of seeing the same old thing, didn't the reviewers themselves who also watch the repeats? Some review websites skip quite a few anime, but doesn't it imply that the reviewers who give reviews themselves also interested in the anime to watch it too?

People may wonder why those stuffs still work time after time. Really, it's all about interest......and of course hormones(especially in adrenaline-packed shows and harem ones) do help too.

If reviewers give too less credits to repeated genre, they themselves also become critics. As said by the ranter, take in each new anime as never seen before and try to feel the anime. Be disgusted by the story and not the repititiveness.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
overlord_mordax



Joined: 16 Feb 2007
Posts: 36
PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2007 12:09 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Could it be that instead of existing in a different reality/ time and it being a past life couldn't you just be seeing the events of another reality?


This is certainly a possibility. In fact, a person I know who believes himself to be Neo from the matrix has exactly this belief. He dosn't believe himself to be the REincarnation of Neo, but the concurrent incarnation of Neo in THIS universe.

Quote:
Otakukinism is not a religion.


Maybe 'belief-systerm' is a more accurate term, but its also more of a mouthful. (keyboard-ful?)

Quote:
Speaking of the recent posts though, I have to tip my hat to "overlord mordax", who has some great arguements, which ties into what I'm saying as "It's not a bad thing to believe in, but it can reach a point of delusion with some people.

I did have a question mordax, what do you do about it in public conversation? Do you openly admit it? Do people outside the internet know of your beliefs or do you fear of potential backlash and being shunned?


First of all thank you very much for the high compliment.

As to your question, yes, there are people in my real life who do know about my belief, however, it rarely comes up in conversation. I do not go around randomly telling new friends and prospective employers about my beliefs, that would be rude, and anyway, its none of their buisness.

However, if someone asks me about my personal beliefs, I won't lie (and this has happened. When it comes up, I tend to say I believe in 'transimensional reincarnation' and leave it at that, but if the person in question probes further, I'll tell them as much as they want to know.

ETA: I accidentally missed a question when I posted. Don't want people to say I'm ignoring anyone.

Quote:
If you are from a dub variant universe, they why do you say you were the Digimon Kaiser? It was the Digimon Emperor in the dub, right?


The key word here is varient. From what I'veneither the dub nor the sub matches up exactly to what I remember. i also have extensive memories of things that happened long after the show ends, and also of things the show didn't touch on.

I call myself the Kaizer because that is what I remember calling myself. Also, being in japan, we all had japanese names, although I will of course conceed there is certainly a varient universe in which we HAD the dub names, but i am not from it. Odd, isn't it?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website
Keonyn
Moderator


Joined: 25 May 2005
Posts: 5566
Location: Coon Rapids, MN
PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2007 12:45 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Interesting. Those are the very reasons that many people will respect Otakukinism less, the fact that it is self-centered and does not revolve around community & god.


Well this is Steroid we're talking about here, is it really that surprising that he would respect people more for being self-centered?

At this point this Otakukin "discussion" is getting redundant, so seriously, if we're just going to repeat ourselves over and over drop the discussion and hand the thread back to those who are still discussing the other aspects of this past weeks article. If things need to be repeated this much I'm beginning to wonder if people are reading this thread which I don't need to remind you is a requirement.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
overlord_mordax



Joined: 16 Feb 2007
Posts: 36
PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2007 1:51 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
And a question to overlord mordax, or any other otakukin who wishes to chime in: is it possible to "convert" to otakukinism? Perhaps by meditaion or some such, one could find which soul one is possessed of?


I certainly don't want to discourage anyone from a personal voyage of self-discovery., and I do think that one can certainly come to the belief that there are multiple universes some of which resemble animes.

However, its my personal opinion that if a person has seen an anime, or other representation of their past life then there is an immediate connection, and recognition on an instinctive level, even if that person doesn't recognize or accept it, or tries to deny to themselves. I myself did the last fro many years, but it just wouldn't go away.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website
Display posts from previous:   
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 27 of 29

 


Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group