• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Funimation Adds Heaven's Lost Property/SoraOto Movie

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Parse Error

PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2011 12:19 pm Reply with quote
Redlinks wrote:
Did I call it a genre? No. "Geared towards" was just my assumption on what I think the target audience is based on from the summary and trailer. Does it mean that my assumption is true? No and I'm well aware of that. Am I asking you to agree with me? No. Nor do I have to agree with what anybody else is saying here. I prefer shounen that's in JUMP, SQ, CoroCoro, or GanGan. I'm just not really a fan of ecchi or erotic characters in general. I'll pass on this.

No, you never said "shounen is a genre." Likewise, did I literally and explicitly say you called it a genre? No. You see, two can play at this little game. To talk about "pure shounen" versus "ecchi-shounen" is definitely speaking of it in terms of a genre, though. "I prefer shounen that's in JUMP, SQ, CoroCoro, or GanGan" also doesn't make any sense whatsoever unless you treat it as a genre, nor does "I've heard of Shounen Ace magazine. Though just looking at it, I can tell it's geared more towards men who like erotic girls with big boobs." It should be immediately evident from the name alone exactly what audience "Shounen Ace" is meant for.

There's no sense in defending false statements of fact with "my assumption" or "my opinion" when there is no option to assume or opine on the matter. For instance, I can't reasonably say "the Earth is obviously flat, but that's just my opinion based on some assumptions, and you don't have to agree with it." Whether the Earth is flat or not is not a matter of subjective opinion based on personal assumptions, it is an issue of objective fact, as is whether or not Sora no Otoshimono is Shounen.

That said, let's review this for a moment. Your original statement was "ugh more moe blobs. Wish they'd go back to licensing more shounen anime." Someone merely pointed out that this is, in fact, "more shounen anime." Your response was that it isn't "pure shounen" and they should "consider other people's opinions" instead of "bashing them down."

However, there was no bashing of opinions or those who hold them, but a simple correction or clarification of fact. If you don't like Ecchi that is quite fine, but then it's also what you should have said to begin with instead of talking about something else entirely, only to get upset and make bizarre, fallacious arguments when people take it at face value.
Redlinks

PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2011 1:54 pm Reply with quote
Parse Error wrote:
Redlinks wrote:
Did I call it a genre? No. "Geared towards" was just my assumption on what I think the target audience is based on from the summary and trailer. Does it mean that my assumption is true? No and I'm well aware of that. Am I asking you to agree with me? No. Nor do I have to agree with what anybody else is saying here. I prefer shounen that's in JUMP, SQ, CoroCoro, or GanGan. I'm just not really a fan of ecchi or erotic characters in general. I'll pass on this.

No, you never said "shounen is a genre." Likewise, did I literally and explicitly say you called it a genre? No. You see, two can play at this little game. To talk about "pure shounen" versus "ecchi-shounen" is definitely speaking of it in terms of a genre, though. "I prefer shounen that's in JUMP, SQ, CoroCoro, or GanGan" also doesn't make any sense whatsoever unless you treat it as a genre, nor does "I've heard of Shounen Ace magazine. Though just looking at it, I can tell it's geared more towards men who like erotic girls with big boobs." It should be immediately evident from the name alone exactly what audience "Shounen Ace" is meant for.

There's no sense in defending false statements of fact with "my assumption" or "my opinion" when there is no option to assume or opine on the matter. For instance, I can't reasonably say "the Earth is obviously flat, but that's just my opinion based on some assumptions, and you don't have to agree with it." Whether the Earth is flat or not is not a matter of subjective opinion based on personal assumptions, it is an issue of objective fact, as is whether or not Sora no Otoshimono is Shounen.

That said, let's review this for a moment. Your original statement was "ugh more moe blobs. Wish they'd go back to licensing more shounen anime." Someone merely pointed out that this is, in fact, "more shounen anime." Your response was that it isn't "pure shounen" and they should "consider other people's opinions" instead of "bashing them down."

However, there was no bashing of opinions or those who hold them, but a simple correction or clarification of fact. If you don't like Ecchi that is quite fine, but then it's also what you should have said to begin with instead of talking about something else entirely, only to get upset and make bizarre, fallacious arguments when people take it at face value.

It's just the way you guys were saying it made it sound like you were bashing my thoughts. And you know, you really didn't have to reply to my first post in the first place. "ugh more moe blobs" should've been the big hint that I don't like these types of shows. I shouldn't have to express it any further. Eh, whatever I don't really care anymore.
R315r4z0r

PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2011 3:23 pm Reply with quote
I'm happy they got this since I've been anticipating watching this movie... but I'm just kinda confused as to why they are licensing this movie before they even released the first two seasons on DVD?

Was the streaming really that successful that they can confidently invest in all 3 dubbing projects at once?
Parse Error

PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2011 3:29 pm Reply with quote
Redlinks wrote:
And you know, you really didn't have to reply to my first post in the first place.

Nor did you have to post it in the first place, if you wish to look at things that way.

I don't even know what moeblobs have to do with this show, but it was never about what you do or do not like anyway, just the classification of this franchise.
Redlinks

PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2011 4:06 pm Reply with quote
Parse Error wrote:
Redlinks wrote:
And you know, you really didn't have to reply to my first post in the first place.

Nor did you have to post it in the first place, if you wish to look at things that way.

You must be pretty stupid if you think I didn't know that. None of this nonsense would've happened if you had just left my response alone. Now I'm really done talking with you. I've wasted enough time already. Good bye.
Megiddo

PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2011 4:14 pm Reply with quote
R315r4z0r wrote:
I'm happy they got this since I've been anticipating watching this movie... but I'm just kinda confused as to why they are licensing this movie before they even released the first two seasons on DVD?

Was the streaming really that successful that they can confidently invest in all 3 dubbing projects at once?

I think it's more like "boobies for the win!". Funimation has confidence that as long as there's good artwork and good boobies, then it will sell in the North American market. I'm sure the streaming numbers merely reinforces this thought.
Parse Error

PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2011 4:32 pm Reply with quote
Redlinks wrote:
Parse Error wrote:
Redlinks wrote:

You must be pretty stupid if you think I didn't know that. None of this nonsense would've happened if you had just left my response alone. Now I'm really done talking with you. I've wasted enough time already. Good bye.

Well, I was trying to get the point across in gentler, more concise terms that you can't go around making false and potentially inflammatory statements on a public forum and then get angry or upset when people point out your factual errors and disagree with you. You made a foolish remark, but you're absolutely determined to hold everyone else at fault for having the sheer audacity to even mention that it was such, as if you have a God-given right to never face criticism for what you say in public, no matter how incorrect or offensive it may be.
Redlinks

PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2011 5:06 pm Reply with quote
Parse Error wrote:
Redlinks wrote:
Parse Error wrote:
Redlinks wrote:

Well, I was trying to get the point across in gentler, more concise terms that you can't go around making false and potentially inflammatory statements on a public forum and then get angry or upset when people point out your factual errors and disagree with you. You made a foolish remark, but you're absolutely determined to hold everyone else at fault for having the sheer audacity to even mention that it was such, as if you have a God-given right to never face criticism for what you say in public, no matter how incorrect or offensive it may be.

Sigh, and yet you still continue to argue after I've said good bye. And I'm well aware that I'm continuing to reply to yours. I could care less about being wrong, making foolish remarks, or whatever the hell people think about me. That's their opinion. Besides, we're all human and we all do the same thing. So quit trying to be all high and mighty on me and quit replying to my posts.
Parse Error

PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2011 5:19 pm Reply with quote
Redlinks wrote:
Sigh, and yet you still continue to argue after I've said good bye.

Because I've never seen anybody say that and not come right back to the thread. I'm not being high and mighty at all. I'm wrong almost all the time, but I just say "oops" instead of constantly trying to turn it around against anyone who points it out, as you continue to do even now.

You want to insult me and then say I'm the bad guy for defending myself, just because you made the false claim to be done talking to me. I'll stop pointing out your misdeeds as soon as you start behaving rationally, or more likely until I get bored or banned since one of those will certainly come first.
Redlinks

PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2011 5:42 pm Reply with quote
Parse Error wrote:
Redlinks wrote:
Sigh, and yet you still continue to argue after I've said good bye.

Because I've never seen anybody say that and not come right back to the thread. I'm not being high and mighty at all. I'm wrong almost all the time, but I just say "oops" instead of constantly trying to turn it around against anyone who points it out, as you continue to do even now.

You want to insult me and then say I'm the bad guy for defending myself, just because you made the false claim to be done talking to me. I'll stop pointing out your misdeeds as soon as you start behaving rationally, or more likely until I get bored or banned since one of those will certainly come first.

Meh, whatever. I'll think what I want and you can think what you want. I'm done arguing over a stupid cartoon.
Parse Error

PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2011 6:02 pm Reply with quote
Redlinks wrote:
Meh, whatever. I'll think what I want and you can think what you want. I'm done arguing over a stupid cartoon.

It's not a cartoon, it's an anime! Just kidding, I always like to say "stupid Chinese cartoons" since that gets some people quite riled up.

Anyway it's great that they have all these now. It's a rather unpleasant experience to buy the first season when further installments are in limbo. Of course, much the same could happen if the first set totally flops, but their confidence is reassuring and the existing investment probably would lower the threshold somewhat. Then again I'm not sure if we'll see even more anime in this franchise either.

If there's any bad news it's that there's going to be a lot to save up for with all these good shows coming over.
Redlinks

PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2011 6:19 pm Reply with quote
Parse Error wrote:
Redlinks wrote:

It's not a cartoon, it's an anime! Just kidding, I always like to say "stupid Chinese cartoons" since that gets some people quite riled up.

Anyway it's great that they have all these now. It's a rather unpleasant experience to buy the first season when further installments are in limbo. Of course, much the same could happen if the first set totally flops, but their confidence is reassuring and the existing investment probably would lower the threshold somewhat. Then again I'm not sure if we'll see even more anime in this franchise either.

If there's any bad news it's that there's going to be a lot to save up for with all these good shows coming over.

lol I like doing a similar thing. xD It's hilarious that some anime fans just don't want to believe that anime=animation=cartoons. But yeah, as I said earlier, I think it's great that these shows are getting an official license. It is indeed unpleasant when that happens. Like with Keroro, it kinda seems to be struggling to stay alive here in the states. Same with Detective Conan. Not that i watch either of them but I feel bad for the fans of the series. I guess it all just depends on how well the sales do.
Parse Error

PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2011 7:21 pm Reply with quote
Redlinks wrote:
Like with Keroro, it kinda seems to be struggling to stay alive here in the states. Same with Detective Conan.

Come to think of it, that makes me feel pretty awful for grumbling about things like Higurashi.
Finny-chan

PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2011 4:04 pm Reply with quote
Alright can't wait to get it once its released.......2 or 3 years from now Very Happy

This is probably one of the best ecchi series I seen in a while besides Kore wa Zombie Desu ka? Its funny, has great characters, and some sad moments. So this is an automatic buy for me. I was hoping Funi would announce this soon and they did. Yay! Anime smile
Scormio

PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2011 7:29 pm Reply with quote
Shiroi Hane wrote:
Scormio wrote:
I'm impressed they licensed this before even seeing any sales figures for the series.

Well, they do have streaming figures.

That's a good point, which makes me wonder how good the streaming numbers might have been if it justified already licensing the movie, if that's indeed what they're going off of.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3