• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Hey, Answerman! - Haters Everywhere We Go

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
hissatsu01

PostPosted: Sat Aug 06, 2011 1:33 am Reply with quote
Asterisk-CGY wrote:
Well this ego trip of fansubs is pretty much the only currency fansubbing trades in. That ego is because they have some degree of enthusiasm for what they do, cause there's something to be said about an amateur passionately doing something than a professional doing something half assed.

There are plenty of instances of fansubbers working on shows they don't like/think are stupid/can't stand. Ego and enthusiasm are not the same thing. Ego can drive you to do things for which you have no enthusiasm at all.
ArsenicSteel

PostPosted: Sat Aug 06, 2011 1:42 am Reply with quote
Quote:
the legal one has better gtsmmar when you compare them.

That depends on the parties involved. But have you ever done a comparison to test that theory? I have done some side-by-side comparisons. Grammatical disparities between the two don't pop-up much and most of the time is there is a difference it is just wording that is still grammatically correct. Of course if you are talking about subs from China then,...yea...that would be too easy.
Asterisk-CGY

PostPosted: Sat Aug 06, 2011 1:50 am Reply with quote
hissatsu01 wrote:
Asterisk-CGY wrote:
Well this ego trip of fansubs is pretty much the only currency fansubbing trades in. That ego is because they have some degree of enthusiasm for what they do, cause there's something to be said about an amateur passionately doing something than a professional doing something half assed.

There are plenty of instances of fansubbers working on shows they don't like/think are stupid/can't stand. Ego and enthusiasm are not the same thing. Ego can drive you to do things for which you have no enthusiasm at all.

And the same can be said about not caring about something you're being paid to do. (e.g. Ghost Stories). So no difference there. Its just how much they care period.
Asterisk-CGY

PostPosted: Sat Aug 06, 2011 1:51 am Reply with quote
ArsenicSteel wrote:
Quote:
the legal one has better gtsmmar when you compare them.

That depends on the parties involved. But have you ever done a comparison to test that theory? I have done some side-by-side comparisons. Grammatical disparities between the two don't pop-up much and most of the time is there is a difference it is just wording that is still grammatically correct. Of course if you are talking about subs from China then,...yea...that would be too easy.

One I can pull is the Yubisaki Milk Tea translations by Tokyopop. You can totally tell they were skimping on the translations, cause the dialogue was just way too sparse. And then they went out of business while the book was on hiatus and I needed scans to finish. And it was something I was actively buying, so fail there.
Sailor S

PostPosted: Sat Aug 06, 2011 2:22 am Reply with quote
Moonsaber wrote:

Take note of that! Give me Wandering Son, Bunny Drop, From Me to You, and La Croisse. Please? Among others, I suppose.

animenewsnetwork.com/news/2011-07-01/nis-america-adds-kimi-ni-todoke-dororon-emma-kun

There you go, you're welcome. (Yup, I'll take credit for it, why not? Very Happy)
Nonaka Machine Gun B

PostPosted: Sat Aug 06, 2011 12:49 pm Reply with quote
Pretty spot-on about the "expectation" letter. If you wish to sell eleven-episode sets, that's great, but don't expect someone to buy it for $40.00, especially when you're selling twenty-episode sets in that same ballpark.
Sunday Silence

PostPosted: Sat Aug 06, 2011 9:56 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
It's about expectation, as I've said. The fans have had several years' worth of expecting their anime released on the internet within 24 hours of it airing, and the fans have had several years' worth of TV shows on DVD costing little and containing a lot. Any time a company errs outside of that expectation, they have to understand that a good portion of the backlash comes from defying those expectations.

Seeing as i've been on the cusp of when Anime was still on VHS tape till today, I think your sentiments are wrong.

Granted, things quite changed in that time frame. We've gone from VHS tapes to Blu-Ray. We've gone from dial-up to broadband. We've gone from desktops to phones with mini-screens in them. Things have evolved.

What HASN'T evolved however, are business models. Some embrace the new models, while others pretty much try tooth and mail to stick to quickly outdated ideas and models to the point that once called out on them, they cry and bitch and moan that the consumers are not playing fair and take back their toys. And then they wonder why their profits are going down.
Hellfish

PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2011 2:26 am Reply with quote
Quote:
is that there was a time, within the past few years, where fansubs, essentially, were rendered *mostly* irrelevant, outside of the people who just wanted them for free, and the people who *really* just want them for free but come up with asinine justifications for their behavior.

Rolling Eyes

Fansubs are quite relevant in many countries, where that is the only way of seing a series, outside of importing from a country that has it licensed (as some of us do, even if it's expensive as hell) I am will asume you are talking about the situation in your contry, but let me tell you something: just because the fansub or scans are in english does it mean it is actually read and made exclusively by people of the U.s.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2011 2:53 am Reply with quote
Hellfish wrote:
just because the fansub or scans are in english does it mean it is actually read and made exclusively by people of the U.s.

I've no issue with local fansubbers continuing locally unlicensed series in their local language subtitles, assuming foreign fansubbers where it's licensed cease participating. Laughing
Farix

PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2011 8:48 am Reply with quote
Asterisk-CGY wrote:
My thing is why streaming? why can't anime companies use bittorrent? Why this big push for streams? Just for hits and ad money?

The answer should be pretty self evident. Its to make a profit. There is just no way to control distribution using bittorrent because when the company pulls a file from distribution, some idiot is going to upload the torrent elsewhere.

These companies are in the business of making money, and the way they do that is by either selling you their product or to find someone to sponsor that product so that you may have it "for free". As a condition of having a product "for free", you are exposed to the advertisements of the sponsors.

While the jury is still out about whether streaming anime is a profitable business model, it is reducing the negative impact that fansubs have on the industry as a whole.
UtenaAnthy

PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2011 8:59 am Reply with quote
There are still some really great shows that never got a legal English subtitled stream or DVD release. Such as Kemonozume, Touch, Rose of Versailles, Future Boy Conan (I don't want to spend hours compiling a complete list, plus my favourite shows are not the same as everyone else's, in other words it's not fair to go "those are crummy shows so it doesn't matter if they aren't legally available English subbed" because just because you don't care doesn't mean there aren't other people who do). And if you live anywhere other than the u.s., things are much worse. I am not a heavy fansub watcher, I have a huge collection of anime on DVD, and watch legal streams when they are available (though I would do more downloading if I lived somewhere where/had a computer on which legal streams didn't work properly). I do sometimes download fansubs, but only of stuff without legal English subtitled streams available in the u.k./DVD releases, for instance, I dl'ed Kemonozume, but am going to import the australian releases of Kaiba and Mind Game (I am currently without money to spend on DVDs, but when I have some again it will be import time) and plan to buy the u.k. release of The Tatami Galaxy (as well as House of Five Leaves), or import the australian release if there's something wrong with the u.k. one when it comes out. I'm looking forward to watching Kaiba on DVD as I own Welcome to Irabu's Office which was also released by Siren Visual and I thought that was a good DVD release. I agree that a lot of fansubbers just sub popular legally streamed shows and unless they're outside of the u.s. (where there're a lot less shows available) then I really wish they would focus their attention on shows that are not legally available English subbed, or where the English subbed DVD release is long OOP (such as with Cardcaptor Sakura).
superf1y

PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2011 11:42 am Reply with quote
I am not sure I am ok with someone lambasting a show they have never seen. It seems fair to do a little more research. Asobi ni Iku yo! is a little heavy on the fan service. But to criticize a show by the name is wrong, especially for some one who reviews or answers questions. I saw a hilarious review for Kung Fu Hustle because the reviewer watched the first 10 minutes of it, got convinced it was a dance movie and railed against the choreography. I am aware of the amount of time it takes to do that sort of work. I guess not being entirely wrong about Asobi ni Iku yo! aside, to not watch it and call it something is kind of unprofessional.
Adamanto

PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2011 2:09 pm Reply with quote
enurtsol wrote:
Hellfish wrote:
just because the fansub or scans are in english does it mean it is actually read and made exclusively by people of the U.s.

I've no issue with local fansubbers continuing locally unlicensed series in their local language subtitles, assuming foreign fansubbers where it's licensed cease participating. Laughing

This is one of those things Americans tend to have a hard time of understanding, but English is a world language, and fansubs in English can be enjoyed by people in many many countries, unlike fansubs in Swedish, Russian, Portugese, Bulgarian, you name it. If you make a sub in Swedish, there's still a whole ton of people who won't be able to watch the show, but if you sub it into English instead, you make it available for a much wider audience - and everyone who would've watched you Swedish subs will still be able to watch your English ones.

If it was "morally okay" to sub a show before it got legal online streams and whatnot, it's no less "morally okay" to do so after the fact, because unless those legal streams are available online, the show is no less available for some guy over in Sweden than it was before these streams existed. And if it was "morally okay" for him to watch fansubs of it then, it's just as okay now. The situation hasn't changed one bit.
Charred Knight

PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2011 2:55 pm Reply with quote
If Swedish people want to watch anime they can fansub the thing in Swedish, and it only effects the swedish anime scene. Anime isn't doing very well because even though it's available globally people are pirating it instead of buying it legally.
Asterisk-CGY

PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2011 7:12 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
If Swedish people want to watch anime they can fansub the thing in Swedish, and it only effects the swedish anime scene. Anime isn't doing very well because even though it's available globally people are pirating it instead of buying it legally.

Or it could be not doing well because people who want to buy things can't because there isn't anything to buy that they want to pay for, but they still want to watch anime. Piracy isn't taking away from sales of anime, its merely replacing what isn't there. And if it's there, well guess what, pirates buy more than those who don't, because as fans they must feed their fandom, and will bite on anything they find.

So no, anime not doing well is not because of piracy.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 4 of 6